Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Megasabin posted:

Is the only way to complete the engine blade upgrade quest really just redoing 1 hunt over and over until you get a rare drop from the hunt target?

I highly suggest you get the Mother and Child Rice Bowl recipe in Lestallum before doing it. It's near the beginning where you park. You just have to see a woman on a picnic table eating it. It's my go-to food for grinding and in general.

Also, break the horns. Easiest is with Sword of Wisdom that gives you a warpstrike bonus, which is probably how you'll reach the horns anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I used wait mode to target the horn and just warp-striked it over and over, got it on my first try.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Which hunt do you need to grind for the blade item?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I guess Odin would kinda be pointless when all summons instantly kill everything already, but I still want to see him just because he was always my favorite as a kid.

I think that might not be actually true: there is a crazy high-level enemy that's pretty close to before the final boss (which I imagine you're just expected to run through).
I summoned Shiva on it and... she did about 50% hp damage.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah summons are beefy AF, but they don't always kill their target. I fought that big snake in the sewer dungeon and Ramuh almost killed it for me from like half health to about 10%. Still took some of the sting out of that fight.

When is Titan gonna help me out though?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was watching an Adamantoise fight video, the guy got a Ramuh summon within 10 minutes and the health bar didn't even move, I dunno whether it was just doing that little damage or it's immune to summons so there's no cheap way out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Which hunt do you need to grind for the blade item?

The Last Spiracorns, it's in the first stop in the third zone, lower west route.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

I was watching an Adamantoise fight video, the guy got a Ramuh summon within 10 minutes and the health bar didn't even move, I dunno whether -it was just doing that little damage or it's immune to summons so there's no cheap way out.

"The last time I beat on a worm for 72 hours was college"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It only took YouTube guy an hour to kill it so that was bullshit

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Stfu Ignis

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Easiest way I found to get the horn was to get the sniper rifle, save just before the hunt area, warp onto the rock, which just so happens to be a perfect height for the heads. Point and shoot, usually only takes two hits to break them. If you don't get it, bail and load the save.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nina posted:

Stfu Ignis

Ignis communicating almost entirely in puns is legendary. He and Prompto can vie for the crown of best boy forever.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Got around to trying wait mode and it made a lot more sense in actual combat than it did in the tutorial and helps a lot... although for people who are better at juggling a lot of information at once and reacting to it, I could see them preferring doing most combat without it. I, however, am not one of those people.

The stroll around town "quest" in Lestallum was p drat funny. I don't know if it's the same everytime but Noctis' initial "Ehhhh", when Iris commented on how pretty the street was at night, cracked me up. Particularly amusing because the stroll in general was such a FF thing and I just wasn't expecting it to play out the way it did... even if you choose the "nice" options, he just doesn't sound at all convincing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Palladium posted:

The consequences to the ending is a a lot more interesting than the main story itself. With Noct dead who gets to be the King now?

No one, that's the point. The line of Lucis is extinct. If it wasn't for Noctis obliterating his soul in the afterlife Ardyn would have totally won.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Levantine posted:

Ignis communicating almost entirely in puns is legendary. He and Prompto can vie for the crown of best boy forever.

The back and forth during the cat food sidequest in Galdin Quay is just amazing, it feels like fully half the dialogue is one giant pun run and it's punderful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gravy Jones posted:

Got around to trying wait mode and it made a lot more sense in actual combat than it did in the tutorial and helps a lot... although for people who are better at juggling a lot of information at once and reacting to it, I could see them preferring doing most combat without it. I, however, am not one of those people.

The stroll around town "quest" in Lestallum was p drat funny. I don't know if it's the same everytime but Noctis' initial "Ehhhh", when Iris commented on how pretty the street was at night, cracked me up. Particularly amusing because the stroll in general was such a FF thing and I just wasn't expecting it to play out the way it did... even if you choose the "nice" options, he just doesn't sound at all convincing.

I don't like Wait Mode because it end up pausing my game when more often than I'd like. If only they could patch Ignis's analyze ability in Active mode.

Why Wait Mode offers exclusive bonuses is beyond me, did they intend it to be the Easy mode?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A bunch of times the Summon prompt shows up but nothing happens when I press the button. Sheesh

E: Nevermind gotta hold it down for longer than you'd think

Nina fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 6, 2016

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Nina posted:

A bunch of times the Summon prompt shows up but nothing happens when I press the button. Sheesh

Hold it down for like 10 seconds.

I summoned leviathan on a coastal highway last night and it owned. Still haven't seen titan though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to hold it down and it takes a while AND getting hit interrupts it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Titan helped me the other night and he has a very well defined rear end.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't like Wait Mode because it end up pausing my game when more often than I'd like. If only they could patch Ignis's analyze ability in Active mode.

Why Wait Mode offers exclusive bonuses is beyond me, did they intend it to be the Easy mode?

It feels like there should be an in-between option. Allowing you to pop into wait mode to scan by choice, but not forcing it every time you stop moving.

That said, I didn't use it for the same reason at first, but once I forced myself for a while and got more used to it, It wasn't as stop-start as it was before I got my head around it. I don't think it's intended as "Easy mode", more a way to emulate (to an extent) an optional ATB style system... the fact that it makes things a little easier, being a side-effect of that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny that more than once while playing I've actually thought, 'You know what would be really nice in this game? If they had a codex like XIII'. Just to get a recap on some of the plot bits, more information on some of the random people (like the Imperial bigshots), and even for enemy data.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the quality of life in terms of identifying enemies after FFIX. X had auto-Sensor weapons, XII had the Libra status effect, XIII had smart AI that adjusted their attack patterns as the fight went on. Whereas XV has Ignis that can only scan one enemy at a time and doesn't carry that information between encounters, and a ranged dude that won't even back out of range.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 6, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm hoping Square patch a lot of stuff in because it's the incredibly bare bones of a game. That also some manages to have like 80 hours of mostly fun content.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I think I'm about half way through chapter 13, just got daddy's sword, and it honestly hasn't been the slog I thought it would be. Sure, it sucks not having my bros, but the AoE attack looks really cool and being chased by the crazy magitek men was mildly exciting.

evrae
Nov 28, 2016
random thoughts after finishing

The game has beautiful moments (the whole Altissia segment) but I don't think it's executed well as a whole. Ardyn could have said a million different lines to give insight into his dilemma but instead all he's given is pure snark. Both in the movie and the game. Prompto's reveal was a non issue. The emperor is turned into a trash mob you might not even pay attention to. Ravus is discarded and amounts to a few sheets of paper on the floor as explanation. Noctis/Luna had no actual romance to bite into. In fact, the whole cast seems coldhearted if you think about the motive for moving Noctis along his path. I also think the open world design will age poorly. You either do the sidequests as total overkill alongside the mainstory, or do them afterward when there's no tangible reward beyond maxing. The dungeons are the best part of the extra content. The story could have used about 5 more itself instead of a keycard maze and a train ride.

All its lore certainly has the potential for the inevitable sequels and spin-offs down the line. This felt like a giant tech demo as foundation for better things to come. As a positive: warp blade combat is the coolest concept Square has thought of in a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, it sure is kind of weird going back to happy fun times with the guys to do quests after the ending. :smith:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, it sure is kind of weird going back to happy fun times with the guys to do quests after the ending. :smith:

I'm not there yet, but I'm already curious how that works, whether the plot actually works out that way or if it's just like a 'reverse timeskip' to before Altissia.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Arist posted:

No one, that's the point. The line of Lucis is extinct. If it wasn't for Noctis obliterating his soul in the afterlife Ardyn would have totally won.

Arguably he already won. My understanding of Ardyn and his actions is that he's so sick of living, but only Noctis when he's come into his own can actually kill him, hence why he wants Noctis at full strength.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

Arguably he already won. My understanding of Ardyn and his actions is that he's so sick of living, but only Noctis when he's come into his own can actually kill him, hence why he wants Noctis at full strength.

Ardyn's plan is one of those "heads I win, tails you lose" deals. Either he gains UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER and gets to lord it over creation, or he exterminates the hated regal line forever and is finally able to die on top of it.

As with many things in FFXV, he could have been great if the story had gotten more development. He toes the line between irritating and genuinely unnerving with how chummy he is with everybody.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Are those chakrams from Platinum Demo in the full game at all?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I know there's an anime and CGI movie for FF15 too, but I wish the beginning of this game had introduced some things a bit more clearly on its own. Like making it clear what the extent of Noctis's magic is. I vaguely get that he has royal lineage magic that lets him do anime warping abilities, but I don't really get how or why. And moreover, I don't think the game ever explains how Noctis's magic can turn energy drinks into healing potions.

There being an old royal bloodline that can imbue modern mundane objects with ancient magics is pretty cool and interesting, but then it's in a game with behemoths and titans and magitech and it's hard to see how it's appreciably any different from if Super 8 actually did sell revival talismans to begin with. You know--just a bit of grounding would have gone a long way, I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

Are those chakrams from Platinum Demo in the full game at all?

I heard they're in the extreme northwest corner of the map, near the Vesperpool.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a list of weird, special weapons in the game? Not the Armiger stuff, but like the Cerberus sniper rifle.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Oxxidation posted:

As with many things in FFXV, he could have been great if the story had gotten more development. He toes the line between irritating and genuinely unnerving with how chummy he is with everybody.[/spoiler]

I really loved that bit in Chapter 13, where at the end the friends arrive where Noctis has just been submerged in the Crystal and Ardyn just walks right through them, even after Prompto and Gladio kill him, because it's like "what are you even going to do, I'm immortal motherfuckers."

I really like mostly all the characters in this game, they did a great job of characterization I feel in many of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Character spoilers: Ardyn turning into Kefka/The Joker really was unsatisfying. Like, yeah, it gave him personality but he's basically the only villain the game has and having the crazy dude be the only one who does the massive bulk of his communication with you being wacky trolling or wacky trolling via loudspeaker actually kind of devalues him. He was more interesting when he was sort of cheerfully affable at all times.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been mentally unpacking the ending while doing the postgame, so here's some thoughts.

Chapter 11 + 12: I made the connection that the Ardyn you're chasing at the beginning is Prompto, but I never realized until I read it in this thread that the Prompto you're buddying with is Ardyn. Would make sense too, since he's still keeping the illusion up until Noctis knocks Prompto off the train. The whole "Ardyn uses a ripple in time" is so weird though; the loading screen in the following chapter just drops the knowledge on you like you're suppose to accept that the guy following you around can just do these things. Same thing when he says he almost forgot he was immortal in chapter 12. Like yeah, I guess so, that sounds like a big deal but no one else seems to care.

Chapter 13 did drag on, but I got the definite creepiness of the area, especially once you started finding researchers clothes on the ground. Seeing the emperor's robe on the throne creeped me out at first, then I realized that they chose this way to write him off (until he comes back as a trash mob). It was around the end of the chapter that I found myself wondering when they decided to shift from the empire being the main antagonistic force of the game to Ardyn; I think he was first shown in the 2013 trailer, but it seemed like even at that stage they were planning on the empire being the main dudes you were fighting. I guess it happened around the same time they axed Stella.

Chapter 15 + ending: I was a bit disappointed that they didn't find a way to reference the original Versus XIII announcement trailer in some way. I mean, I expected as much after Chapter 13 happened, but I think it would've been a cool little thing to have. Somnus playing as you went through the city was great, but it kept getting interrupted by the battle music when I felt it would've been better if it played continuously up until the fight with Ifrit. I'm not sure about the scene at the end of the credits though; I cynically interpreted it as just a way to shove the logo art in the game.

Also, I took the photo of everyone together at the end of Chapter 8.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Ardyn's plan is one of those "heads I win, tails you lose" deals. Either he gains UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER and gets to lord it over creation, or he exterminates the hated regal line forever and is finally able to die on top of it.

As with many things in FFXV, he could have been great if the story had gotten more development. He toes the line between irritating and genuinely unnerving with how chummy he is with everybody.

He also Depending on how you interpet the Darkness on his soul line, was a very good person once who just got hosed over by absorbing demons and going basically insane from that + immortality + being betrayed + never being able to reach heaven

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There's a postgame dungeon that should have been split into seperate puzzles and used in different places in the main story. Like everything else in FFXV, however, it's kind of tucked away as an afterthought and is overly long as a result.

At the end of Chapter 13, did anyone else have trouble HEARING what the villain was saying over Noct's grunting noises? It seemed really poorly balanced audio-wise.

evrae
Nov 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At the end of Chapter 13, did anyone else have trouble HEARING what the villain was saying over Noct's grunting noises? It seemed really poorly balanced audio-wise.

Yep, he wasn't audible in that scene without the subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

evrae posted:

Yep, he wasn't audible in that scene without the subtitles.
After that, I went into the settings and changed the mix to 70 music/sfx, 85 voice, 100 radio so that I'd be able to hear the voice acting better. Some video games have a real problem mixing the voices over the music and it ends up feeling sloppy. I'm looking at you, Xenoblade Chronicles X! That game doesn't even offer separate audio settings to my knowledge, so you can't even fix it.

• Locked thread