Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Between Home and Steam, I have something like 14 games ready to try (and I only paid money for two - Onward and Job Sim). Plus some cool demos. The pack is tempting but I don't really need Kingspray and I wanna see what people think of the Climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lemming posted:

Posting like this is dumb my friend, you can think something is cool without being a butthole for no reason

Sorry if you thought I was being serious about a funny gif.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it was obviously a post in jest since it implied the rift was somehow better than the vive (the greatest HMD ever sent to earth)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry if you thought I was being serious about a funny gif.

I know you weren't being """"serious""""" but posting like that is obnoxious, regardless. It doesn't hurt anybody to just not do it!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Has anybody tried The Unspoken in ReVive? My Touch controllers get here Wednesday but I'm incredibly impatient and I really want to wizard fight

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

I know you weren't being """"serious""""" but posting like that is obnoxious, regardless. It doesn't hurt anybody to just not do it!

How's this then?

The Oculus version of Job Simulator has physics applied to the finger gestures supported by Oculus Touch. The devs are working on adding touch support to the steam version but no word on when that will be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sounds cool! I look forward to trying it out, I haven't really messed around in Job Sim since before they added doll house mode and that's something I've been meaning to try out, too

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My god, when did this thread become a safe space for any particular HMD?

Oh right, knifegrab.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

No, it's garbage for my use case and it's updates break things too often. I do a lot of audio production and I'll get it once SP1 comes out and it's a bit more stable with my VST's etc etc. So I take it Rec Room does require win10 though?

If you get Win 10 Pro you can put off the updates indefintiely, which is what I'm doing. Works fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, why did no one tell me there's a free game, Rec Room, for both headsets, that lets you play dodgeball with the hand controllers?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you not watch the Giant Bomb VRodeos? You should.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Do you not watch the Giant Bomb VRodeos? You should.

I tried, but looking at those people makes me sad.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Have they said if/when they're doing one for Touch?
e: a GiantBomb VRodeo thing, I mean

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 6, 2016

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

Your posting isn't hurting anyone but it's making me cringe. I hope no one makes any more jokes about video games!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lemming posted:

Has anybody tried The Unspoken in ReVive? My Touch controllers get here Wednesday but I'm incredibly impatient and I really want to wizard fight

I'd love to know if Vive controllers work for Touch games and if the Touch controllers can be tracked via Lighthouse instead of Oculus' constellation.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

How's this then?

The Oculus version of Job Simulator has physics applied to the finger gestures supported by Oculus Touch. The devs are working on adding touch support to the steam version but no word on when that will be.

Nice to see you continue to be basically the Oculus version of Knifgrab that only just manages to hold back a frothing hardon for Oculus by a ball hair

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd love to know if Vive controllers work for Touch games and if the Touch controllers can be tracked via Lighthouse instead of Oculus' constellation.

Lighthouses don't track anything. they just fire out IR light which is tracked by the sensor dimples covering the Vive HMD and controllers.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Scarecow posted:

Nice to see you continue to be basically the Oculus version of Knifgrab that only just manages to hold back a frothing hardon for Oculus by a ball hair

You accidentally posted this to the vr thread instead of Knifegrab's vive owner's safe space thread. Oops!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

uhhh I was doing this in vive games 6 months ago

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

This. This is how you respond. Witty, cuts to the quick, actual good counter argument, doesn't make poo poo petty and personal.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If multiple people are taking jokes about one thing being better than another thing as personal and upsetting it might time for you guys to 'log out' of your cyber visors and take a break outside for a minute.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zero VGS posted:

I tried, but looking at those people makes me sad.

:confused:

edit

El Grillo posted:

Have they said if/when they're doing one for Touch?
e: a GiantBomb VRodeo thing, I mean

They said they'd be doing some stuff with Touch, I think they had to wait for the embargo to be up this week.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Hadlock posted:

If you get Win 10 Pro you can put off the updates indefintiely, which is what I'm doing. Works fine.

What's with some of you guys trying to convince everyone to get with windows 10 man. It's weird, like a cult. Look, man I'm not gonna take the bait of a free OS.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Scarecow posted:

Sucks that the rift is the best thing since sliced butter and you bought the wrong headset, doesn't it

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Is it too late to get the Touch launch game bundle for free?

e: I'm dumb, it apparently was never free and I misread

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Truga posted:

I'm all for the Vive, but bid'ness guns are a strong selling point imo. Hopefully something will come of those prototype controllers at DevDays the other week so I can flip off Rift users IN VR.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The weird thing is you can see in some Oculus prototypes that they considered a few options like that new Vive prototype style where you could fully open your hand. Maybe they decided it wasn't easy and usable enough for more casual consumers (lol) but I think I'd prefer the ability to open my hand.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I wish Oculus had an option in Home to allow downloads while you play other games. Sitting around waiting for Dead & Buried to load.

AndrewP posted:

The weird thing is you can see in some Oculus prototypes that they considered a few options like that new Vive prototype style where you could fully open your hand. Maybe they decided it wasn't easy and usable enough for more casual consumers (lol) but I think I'd prefer the ability to open my hand.
Yeah I agree but there are a lot of issues with making that sort of thing fit everyones' hands. I had a thought you could have it operating on a lightly sprung hinge mechanism so it just lightly grips the palm and back of your hand - but that wouldn't deal with different sizes of fingers and finger spacing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

What's with some of you guys trying to convince everyone to get with windows 10 man. It's weird, like a cult. Look, man I'm not gonna take the bait of a free OS.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN OS IN TO MY PC. IT’S WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY PERIPHERALS, OCULUS AND TOUCH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN FIREBALL SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME UNSPOKEN OR EVEN WHEN I BREAK MY CEILING LIGHT. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST BORING REALITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY BIGSCREEN ROOM AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN BIGSCREEN CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE ROOMSCALE BOUNDARIES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS VULNERABLE BY SETTING UP GUARDIAN. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

Thanks for having fun instead of pouring endless salt out of your butt like some other people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The most laffo thing I've seen about vr is someone not upgrading to Windows 10 but staying on *windows 8* like lmao it isn't even a Windows 7 hold out

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AndrewP posted:

I would recommend watching the Designing Touch talk from OC3 this past October.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I thought you needed Windows 10 to get some of the features like ATW and ASW because of low level kernel/driver hacks that they had to bake into Windows 10 and the Nvidia / AMD drivers.

Anyone going to start a friendslist thing for Rift now that we have a reason for it? My friendslist is mighty empty.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Touch controls should be arriving today. Any must have games I should get for this?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Touch controls should be arriving today. Any must have games I should get for this?

Besides all the free Oculus stuff, make sure you get cool free stuff from Steam. Budget Cuts demo, The Lab, Google Earth VR, etc.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Helter Skelter posted:

I would recommend watching the Designing Touch talk from OC3 this past October.

I watched this a little while ago and I believe the main issues they were balancing were like "One size fits all", "Best for tracking with minimal occlusion" (shouldn't be a huge deal with lighthouse), and uh "being able to take them on and off easily so you can pick up and interact with real world objects when necessary"
Also the fact that people wanted buttons, lightweight and battery life etc.

A side (sperg) note: A lot of people including journalists keep talking about the prototype controller they showed at Steam Dev Days to be a Vive Prototype but it's not. The lighthouse 2.0 cubes, the lighthouse 2.0 sensors and the prototype are all Valve internal technology and not something they developed with HTC. Vive is an HTC brand and not a Valve brand. So like a better name to refer to it would be a SteamVR hand presence prototype since there's no indication that it's even going to be a real thing and or go to production via HTC or otherwise.

Like the whole point of the lighthouse talk from Dev Days was that they were talking about opening up the hardware ecosystem completely aka pick your lighthouse HMD, pick your lighthouse base stations, and pick your controllers from whichever vendor you want. Mix and match tracking systems even.

The only thing is that right now the lighthouse base station designs aren't license-able yet so the only way you can get them is through HTC.

I get hate for this but all signs point to Valve moving away from HTC exclusivity and them releasing reference designs / manufacturing their own reference designs.

AndrewP posted:

Besides all the free Oculus stuff, make sure you get cool free stuff from Steam. Budget Cuts demo, The Lab, Google Earth VR, etc.

Have those games been updated for touch? or do they still show the vive wands? Also do you have to run that FakeVive patch for Google Earth still? https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 6, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Poetic Justice posted:

have you read up on pizzagate?

edit

w00tazn posted:

Anyone going to start a friendslist thing for Rift now that we have a reason for it? My friendslist is mighty empty.

I'm into this, none of my local friends are early adopters.

sir_tonk on both oculus and steam.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 6, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
e, dp

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

w00tazn posted:

I get hate for this but all signs point to Valve moving away from HTC exclusivity and them releasing reference designs / manufacturing their own reference designs.

Have those games been updated for touch? or do they still show the vive wands? Also do you have to run that FakeVive patch for Google Earth still? https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive

This has been the plan all along. People got so wrapped up in saying the Vive IS SteamVR that they didn't realize that Valve only helped HTC to get a VR system out that works with their software and lighthouse. As long as there's another headset that comes out that uses lighthouse, Valve won't care what happens to the Vive.

Also, any game made for the vive that shows Vive wands is always going to show the wands unless the person specifically checks to see which headset is being used and swaps out the in game models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

w00tazn posted:

I watched this a little while ago and I believe the main issues they were balancing were like "One size fits all", "Best for tracking with minimal occlusion" (shouldn't be a huge deal with lighthouse), and uh "being able to take them on and off easily so you can pick up and interact with real world objects when necessary"
Also the fact that people wanted buttons, lightweight and battery life etc.
There was also a bit where they were talking about having super-precise three-finger grip tracking and having that be a bit too intuitive, as it resulted in people throwing prototypes across the room.

And occlusion absolutely can be an issue with lighthouse, especially on something that's not much larger than the hand that's holding it. There's nothing about lighthouse that makes it more occlusion-resistant than Oculus' camera-based method.