Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Started the ET in the cafe as a waiter, got tired of the one suspicious bartender and bored when the target didn't show. Grabbed an elite soldier disguise out of the shoe store so the only people suspicious of me in the market were the target's guards. Made it really easy to find her wandering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new bonus mission has been announced, returning to Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT8ksrKxPEU

It'll be free for everyone who owns the game, but Io are asking players to donate to the World Cancer Research Fund if they can. Which is fair.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

2 more ETs this month too

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love this game so much

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Kins posted:

A new bonus mission has been announced, returning to Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT8ksrKxPEU

It'll be free for everyone who owns the game, but Io are asking players to donate to the World Cancer Research Fund if they can. Which is fair.

i am going to make the target sit on my lap and ask for presents but then tell him he was a bad boy and kill him

also putting a rubber ducky under the tree :tfrxmas:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scott Forstall posted:

2 more ETs this month too

But I have work to do! :gonk:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I love this game so much

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I still haven't played the other bonus missions but I love that they're offering new missions on old maps in different contexts. Getting kinda bored of Marrakesh so I need to try Bangkok. I like the setup and setting for Marrakesh, but it seems difficult to deal with the targets outside of their starting points or in the tunnels so your options are more limited than in Sapienza. I wish there was a way to get them out into the marketplace even if it doesn't really make sense for this mission. Still, I love how you pick up on details like the protests being astroturfed to provide justification for martial law.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow, I would have been happy with them just slapping some Christmas skins on some things. Adding a mission is awesome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I love this game so much
I remember when Absolution came out and pretty much everyone wrote IOI/Hitman off forever.

Glad to see they came back in the biggest bestest way possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really does seem like they took everything people complained about from Absolution and walked back the bad changes while keeping the good ones. Every time I play this game I am almost astounded at how good it is.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

They need to get a Colorado ET out ASAP so that I can start rocking that hat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blowjob Overtime posted:

They need to get a Colorado ET out ASAP so that I can start rocking that hat.

Colorado ET will be the biggest pain in the rear end, I bet.

I really hate that map.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Water tower snipe and get SA on another map.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished Hokkaido last night and, with that, another Hitman game is done. Now I get to go back and gently caress around with the levels :evil:

I put about 30 minutes into Sapienza last night, just screwing around and exploring. New things I found:

There's a bodyguard chilling on a bench that you can lure to a nearby room (need the lockpick) for easy access to the mansion

City hall seems like a lot of wasted space with an ice cream shop and offices with no apparent purpose?

The bohemian disguise and joint is amazing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seriously, why would anybody use an unsuppressed gun?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure Hitman's my game of the year.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

skooma512 posted:

As long as you can quickly run off and hide and change disguises you can get away with some pretty insane antics with unsuppressed weapons.

Spray a whole room full of guards and change into one of them before reinforcements show up.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Finished Hokkaido last night and, with that, another Hitman game is done. Now I get to go back and gently caress around with the levels :evil:

I put about 30 minutes into Sapienza last night, just screwing around and exploring. New things I found:

There's a bodyguard chilling on a bench that you can lure to a nearby room (need the lockpick) for easy access to the mansion

City hall seems like a lot of wasted space with an ice cream shop and offices with no apparent purpose?

Because those offices are so pointless, I didn't discover the bohemian home until playing The Icon. I couldn't believe it had been there the whole time.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
An ET the week between Christmas and New Year's? That's gonna burn a lot of people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Another fun one (and a bit of a callback to A New Life I think) is to emetic poison the clown's water bottle while he's performing and then follow him into the nearby stairwell to choke him out.

Bam, insane clown running around murdering people.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

skooma512 posted:

crowd control

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just got this game. Went into it entirely spoiler-free apart from seeing a stream of the very first prologue mission, the cruise ship simulation.

I just finished the world's messiest silent-assassin suit-only run of Paris, about to go to Sapienza for the first time.

47 is really good at throwing hammers.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh god, I'm so dumb. I got the poison food sent to the general in Marrakesh and then decided to try for silent assassin suit only. I'm bad, so I spent a ton of time messily clearing the garage and blundering my way through the embassy with a bunch of reloading, but I finally got it done and rushed for the exit. Then I remembered I was actually spotted poisoning the food before I even thought about doing SASO, god dammit. The 1000 points for suit only wasn't much of a consolation prize.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

PantsBandit posted:

The ice cream shop is useful for swiping some rat poison in the back to use on the psychologist's coffee outside.

The bohemian outfit rules because of the open disdain people have for you and you can plant a joint in De Santis' pack of cigarettes. There's another joint behind the old ruins, near the speedboat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

SubponticatePoster posted:

I remember when Absolution came out and pretty much everyone wrote IOI/Hitman off forever.

I remember when they launched Hitman episodically and pretty much everyone wrote IOI/Hitman off forever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

skooma512 posted:

Use your imagination, if handholding videogames haven't eroded it away yet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
But city hall has that huge tower, which attracts Lee Harvey Oswald wannabes like me like flies to poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WindyMan posted:

I remember when they launched Hitman episodically and pretty much everyone wrote IOI/Hitman off forever.

I still kind of think anyone who bought the full game without waiting to how the episodes turned out was crazy, and that early adopters will get burned with this kind of model more often than not, but even if the first two maps are probably the best of the bunch, I think it's safe to say this was a success.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That master sniper challenge pack for Sapienza sounds like it'd be pretty fun, the one escalation there about getting better and better sick double kills was pretty good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

skooma512 posted:

But city hall has that huge tower, which attracts Lee Harvey Oswald wannabes like me like flies to poo poo.

Yeah I figured the purpose was mostly as a sniper perch. The bohemians apartment also has a round window that looks directly onto the mansion if you want another spot to snipe from.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Glad to see they came back in the biggest bestest way possible.

It's also interesting how they turned around the expectations of this game.

When it was first announced, it sounded like an absolute mess. Online-only, piecemeal delivery with missable content? They made it sound like a DLC-gouging F2P game with dailies that wasn't even free to play.

Instead, they made perfect use of the episodic format, giving you plenty of reason and plenty of ability to savour the content of each location: they were large enough that a single play-through made you miss more than half the level, and additional ones were needed to figure out all the connections and nifty details. Even then, there were blank spots that you never really needed, but the escalations, contracts, weirdo challenges came in to make use of those too. ETs went from being an annoying set-your-alarm-or-lose-stuff trick to get people online to being more of a hardcore challenge mode to test your map and game mechanics knowledge.

Almost every potential point of error and horrible designed turned into something brilliant that made the game better… well, except for the totally-not-DRM-honestly-guv' online requirement, but they're half-patching that out now anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The people who grabbed their torches and pitchforks at the mention of an episodic release getting owned hard is my favorite part of this game, and it's not even in the game itself.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Sinteres posted:

I still kind of think anyone who bought the full game without waiting to how the episodes turned out was crazy, and that early adopters will get burned with this kind of model more often than not, but even if the first two maps are probably the best of the bunch, I think it's safe to say this was a success.

Initially I wasn't going to get the full game at launch. When they changed the pricing model that let you get the Intro Pack separately, I got that and initially thought I would just get the levels one at a time. However, Paris was so much drat fun that I went ahead and took the plunge with the Upgrade Pack. At the time I bought it, I was involved with a couple of games in early access on Steam so I knew coming in exactly what to expect with a game in the state that it was at launch.

All of the whiners that complained about the game not "being done" at release failed to appreciate how much power players have in influencing (good) developers to make the game that they want to play. Those that buy-in early will lose out initially with a lack of content and a risk that things may not pan out for the best. But the payoff IMO is winding up with something that becomes MUCH better than it could have been.

Tippis posted:

Instead, they made perfect use of the episodic format, giving you plenty of reason and plenty of ability to savour the content of each location: they were large enough that a single play-through made you miss more than half the level, and additional ones were needed to figure out all the connections and nifty details. … Almost every potential point of error and horrible designed turned into something brilliant that made the game better… well, except for the totally-not-DRM-honestly-guv' online requirement, but they're half-patching that out now anyway.

Though they were rightly skeptical about the episodic format, there were a lot of people (including me) that realized early on that Hitman is the type of game where an episodic format could actually work. It's not story-driven; it's all about the gameplay and replay factor. The design of the game nails it, almost to the point where I don't know if I could play Hitman any other way now. (I'm currently playing through Blood Money again, and as good as it still is, it feels…linear? How odd saying that now.)

And now, not only has HITMAN™ established itself as one of the best games of 2016, it's in a position where it could be right up there with the best games of 2017 and 2018 too. Having a single player game being constantly supported and updated like it has been, and will continue to be for the next several years, is unprecedented. And worth it for always having to be online.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I've never played a Hitman game before this one and honestly I probably never would have tried this one if it was $60, but I heard a good review of it and being able to jump in and try it for $10 or whatever sold me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I got this for like $27 on the PSN Black Friday sale. I planned to get it after hearing good feedback earlier in this thread but wanted to wait until all the episodes were out and patched. I'm kinda glad I waited since it seems like the game got gradually more streamlined in patches, but I'd probably pay full price for season 2 given how much fun I've had so far only halfway through season 1

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It is unlikely, but I hope they do a Christmas themed ET. I want to toilet drown a guy in a Santa Suit while 47 is dressed like an Elf or something stupid.

Santa must have been listening. :allears:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

WindyMan posted:

Initially I wasn't going to get the full game at launch. When they changed the pricing model that let you get the Intro Pack separately, I got that and initially thought I would just get the levels one at a time. However, Paris was so much drat fun that I went ahead and took the plunge with the Upgrade Pack. At the time I bought it, I was involved with a couple of games in early access on Steam so I knew coming in exactly what to expect with a game in the state that it was at launch.

All of the whiners that complained about the game not "being done" at release failed to appreciate how much power players have in influencing (good) developers to make the game that they want to play. Those that buy-in early will lose out initially with a lack of content and a risk that things may not pan out for the best. But the payoff IMO is winding up with something that becomes MUCH better than it could have been.

Though they were rightly skeptical about the episodic format, there were a lot of people (including me) that realized early on that Hitman is the type of game where an episodic format could actually work. It's not story-driven; it's all about the gameplay and replay factor. The design of the game nails it, almost to the point where I don't know if I could play Hitman any other way now. (I'm currently playing through Blood Money again, and as good as it still is, it feels…linear? How odd saying that now.)

And now, not only has HITMAN™ established itself as one of the best games of 2016, it's in a position where it could be right up there with the best games of 2017 and 2018 too. Having a single player game being constantly supported and updated like it has been, and will continue to be for the next several years, is unprecedented. And worth it for always having to be online.

Most games come out and are out of regular coverage in a week or so. In the era of twitch (or a site like GB in my case), the regular content drip along with time limited stuff like ETs, is a massive coup for IOI. I'll be interested so see the sales curve.

It's also great to see new folks popping into the thread over the year (myself included, I bought in after marrakesh). I look forward to experiencing season 2 with all of you.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I have to wonder what Season 2 unlocks would be. I mean, how much better can the best pistols in this game get? I suppose there's room for a sniper rifle that has both a silencer and body-piercing, but other than that the Hokkaido rifle is pretty top tier as well.

If they just go absolutely crazy with the gadgets, that would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
Late to the party but here's how I handled The Angel of Death. Got SA with a method I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet:

Tried to do the 7 second method shown on YouTube but she wouldn't stick her head over the balcony and I was too paranoid I'd be seen after taking the shot.
Instead I started on the Lamp Shop Roof, knocked out the guard and took his uniform. Ran to the headmasters house grabbing a wrench from the garage outside, followed the two guards inside. Nudged the one at the back so he'd make some space between him and the suspicious one. Once he turned around I wrenched him, picked it back up and ran up the stairs where I wrenched the other guard before he got to the top. I was worried she'd see him when she leans over the banister but she didn't so I just strolled behind her, stabbed her with the lethal poison for some bonus irony and waltzed out. Not suit only but good enough for both unlocks.

Normally I wait until I've done an ET before I read about how others did it but it's always fun to see how different people approach the different challenges.