Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Levantine posted:

Is there a list of weird, special weapons in the game? Not the Armiger stuff, but like the Cerberus sniper rifle.

If you mean like Ultima Blade etc: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5g6dg4/complete_cid_sophiar_master_mechanic_guide_reward/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stormgale posted:

He also Depending on how you interpet the Darkness on his soul line, was a very good person once who just got hosed over by absorbing demons and going basically insane from that + immortality + being betrayed + never being able to reach heaven

Yep.

Ardyn summarized: The Big Bang. The gods create the universe and Eos. Humans show up and most of the gods are cool with it. The humans start evolving and the first civilization is born, Solheim. Ifrit says "gently caress this poo poo, humans are assholes, I'm gonna unleash a plague on them that turns them into daemons". The other gods were like "woooah, no bueno, hey you Ardyn Lucis Caelum, you are our Chosen One and this here chick is the Oracle, you need to combat this plague". Ardyn's like "cool" but because he's such a nice dude, he can't bring himself to kill the people that turned into daemons, and instead absorbed their demonic juices. Another king named Izunia was jealous that the gods chose Ardyn over him, and then called up the gods and said "hey your "Chosen One" seems quite coked up on demonic stuff" and the gods were like "awww what the hell, guess we have to get a new Chosen One, gently caress off Ardyn, this guy is now Lucis Caelum and you're no longer welcome to the afterlife". Ardyn quite rightfully says "gently caress the gods" and decides to team up with Ifrit, and kill the next Chosen One when he's at his strongest to deny the gods. Which is Noctis, whose ancestor was the original Izunia.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I find myself unable to use techniques quite a bit even though I have the full bars - is there something I'm missing mechanics wise?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Terper posted:

Yep.

Ardyn summarized: The Big Bang. The gods create the universe and Eos. Humans show up and most of the gods are cool with it. The humans start evolving and the first civilization is born, Solheim. Ifrit says "gently caress this poo poo, humans are assholes, I'm gonna unleash a plague on them that turns them into daemons". The other gods were like "woooah, no bueno, hey you Ardyn Lucis Caelum, you are our Chosen One and this here chick is the Oracle, you need to combat this plague". Ardyn's like "cool" but because he's such a nice dude, he can't bring himself to kill the people that turned into daemons, and instead absorbed their demonic juices. Another king named Izunia was jealous that the gods chose Ardyn over him, and then called up the gods and said "hey your "Chosen One" seems quite coked up on demonic stuff" and the gods were like "awww what the hell, guess we have to get a new Chosen One, gently caress off Ardyn, this guy is now Lucis Caelum and you're no longer welcome to the afterlife". Ardyn quite rightfully says "gently caress the gods" and decides to team up with Ifrit, and kill the next Chosen One when he's at his strongest to deny the gods. Which is Noctis, whose ancestor was the original Izunia.
Cool, wish this was in the game. :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Cool, wish this was in the game. :v:

To be fair, I think everything except THe ifrit part was, it's during Adryn and Bahamuts conversations with you

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I find myself unable to use techniques quite a bit even though I have the full bars - is there something I'm missing mechanics wise?

Sometimes people will be occupied and can't use techniques, the timing seems odd

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Not exactly but that list is helpful for other reasons.Thanks!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Stormgale posted:

Sometimes people will be occupied and can't use techniques, the timing seems odd

It seems completely arbitrary - am I wrong?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It seems completely arbitrary - am I wrong?

Distance. Can't use techs unless Noctis is close enough for his buddies to hear him.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
So I have to run into the heart of battle to use my oh poo poo regroup mechanism?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

So I have to run into the heart of battle to use my oh poo poo regroup mechanism?

I've never needed to be that close. You can't trigger it if the member in question is downed, or animation locked with a blindside or team up attack, or if they have a status effect that prevents them from doing so.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

In the underwater dungeon where you end up fighting the Quetzocoatl, I kept getting split off from my party by gates that would close (?) and having to fight like 3 reapers and a bunch of skeletons as just Noctis, or Noctis and worthless Prompto. It was miserable and I basically burned through my entire stock of curatives from the entire game so far. Toward the end of one of these, I was able to use "regroup" and suck in Ignis and the hot Dragoon chick as well so then it was balanced. Was this a glitch or is the game just loving with you there and breaking you up to be needlessly difficult?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've read a bunch of spoilers and am just in chapter 3. Is Ardyn that guy you meet in Golden Quay who flips a coin at you?
Also what is it with square enix games and them needing you to watch and read a bunch of supplementary material to understand the plot? I want to enjoy a full coherent story without having to do homework

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You can use it on anything, it gives exp per cast, nothing to do with the target

Well, poo poo. Wish I knew this beforehand instead of trying to save my expericasts for the stuff I knew would give me the biggest boost :downs:

Random end of game question because I'm still in chapter eight but have been spoiled from watching streams: How does the postgame stuff work? Do you just go back in time but now a bunch more stuff is open just because? Or is there a better explanation?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Well, poo poo. Wish I knew this beforehand instead of trying to save my expericasts for the stuff I knew would give me the biggest boost :downs:

Random end of game question because I'm still in chapter eight but have been spoiled from watching streams: How does the postgame stuff work? Do you just go back in time but now a bunch more stuff is open just because? Or is there a better explanation?

It's the former. The idea is just that you're reliving memories Noctis had, and he did all those things before he goes to the second half of the game. Things open up because video game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

It's the former. The idea is just that you're reliving memories Noctis had, and he did all those things before he goes to the second half of the game. Things open up because video game.

I like to interpret this as a sort of literal depiction of a legend growing greater over time. People's stories about what Noctis and his friends did on their journey will likely grow bigger and more fanciful and the game now allows you to do that. Yeah, sure, Prince Nocis killed every single gigantic monster in Lucis before going off to slay the demons, why not?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of techniques... when you call out for one and it goes through the animation, does the combat effectively pause when that's happening? It feels like I'm just standing there getting whaled on while Gladious does the big wind-up for a Tempest, but I've kind of been assuming that's not the case.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Makes sense, thanks to both of you :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Speaking of techniques... when you call out for one and it goes through the animation, does the combat effectively pause when that's happening? It feels like I'm just standing there getting whaled on while Gladious does the big wind-up for a Tempest, but I've kind of been assuming that's not the case.

You've got invincibility while the technique is going, yeah.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

You've got invincibility while the technique is going, yeah.

your teammates don't tho, so Prompto will most likely die at some point

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Am I imagining things, or is each in-game day getting shorter the more I progress in the main story? Sunrise used to be like 6 and now the sun doesn't rise until like, 10 or something.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The seal dungeons are such a slog... Doesn't help that they all look exactly the same. Not worth it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Trico posted:

Am I imagining things, or is each in-game day getting shorter the more I progress in the main story? Sunrise used to be like 6 and now the sun doesn't rise until like, 10 or something.

It's part of the story, the characters point out how there's less and less daylight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

your teammates don't tho, so Prompto will most likely die at some point

Prompto will most likely die at some point applies to everything from "walking down the street" to "taking a nap."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've gotten to the point with Prompto where I won't even eat any stat boosting food that doesn't give HP anymore.

Though I did just find an accessory last night that gives +1k HP so that'll help.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't like Wait Mode because it end up pausing my game when more often than I'd like. If only they could patch Ignis's analyze ability in Active mode.

Why Wait Mode offers exclusive bonuses is beyond me, did they intend it to be the Easy mode?

He has a tech that enchants Noctis' attacks with the element the enemy is weak against but I don't know how long it lasts for.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That same box of the enemies' weaknesses does pop up for me sometimes even though I don't use Wait Mode. No idea what causes it to show up though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nina posted:

That same box of the enemies' weaknesses does pop up for me sometimes even though I don't use Wait Mode. No idea what causes it to show up though

Ignis can use analyze if you're not in wait mode, it's just random, as far as I can tell. I wish he would just do it at the start of a fight by default.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nina posted:

It's the Analyze ability I was talking about earlier. The problem is that Ignis uses it only at random and the information is never recorded anywhere. It's baffling that they completely messed it up in favor of Wait Mode.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Gravy Jones posted:

It feels like there should be an in-between option. Allowing you to pop into wait mode to scan by choice, but not forcing it every time you stop moving.

That said, I didn't use it for the same reason at first, but once I forced myself for a while and got more used to it, It wasn't as stop-start as it was before I got my head around it. I don't think it's intended as "Easy mode", more a way to emulate (to an extent) an optional ATB style system... the fact that it makes things a little easier, being a side-effect of that.

Once you realize it only pauses when you stop giving controller input for movement it happens way way less and is a lot less frustrating. It's a great way to figure out who (or what appendage) you're actually targeting in a crazy battle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Decided to pick up the official guide from Amazon. The same people who made it also did the MGS5 guide, which was fantastic.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is it worth spending any points on the grid with teammates non-technique skills? I gave them all their first ability, and am not impressed. They use it seldomly and randomly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They need to loving lower the encounter rate of Imperial Soldiers, I am tired of these fuckers dropping in the middle of fights I am trying to have against Demons and Giant Snakes, for real.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trying to get a lot of debased coins and stuff, but it seems like it takes a long time for them to respawn, anyone have an idea of how long it is?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Is it worth spending any points on the grid with teammates non-technique skills? I gave them all their first ability, and am not impressed. They use it seldomly and randomly.

Regenerate for Ignis and Intercept for Gladio are good. Gladio uses Antagonize pretty often too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Trying to get a lot of debased coins and stuff, but it seems like it takes a long time for them to respawn, anyone have an idea of how long it is?

When Gladio's survival gets to like level 4 or 5 he'll just start picking them (and rare coins which are 3x better) up after battles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When can I buy the MP3 player? I'm finishing up chapter 2 atm

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chapter 3 in the Regalia shop.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What should I spec towards / do in general if I want to spend as little time completing the main quest as possible?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What should I spec towards / do in general if I want to spend as little time completing the main quest as possible?

Just play the game. when you get Rare Coins save them until you get stuck at something, then craft them into a spell, using the spell on groups of enemies, go stay at Galdin Quey (or just at one of the 1.5x exp places), be hilariously overleveled for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

Prompto will most likely die at some point applies to everything from "walking down the street" to "taking a nap."

I gave him an accessory that gives +10,000 HP for this exact reason.

• Locked thread