Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Bardeh posted:

I played this briefly when it came out, but stopped before they added Competitive. I just came back and did my 10 placement matches, and it's put me at 2600. I'm only level 32, and everyone in my games has like multiple stars around their names, which I assume means they've played a whole shitload more than me. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth - are there any rough guides or tips for competitive play, other than 'choose a good team comp'? Someone was raging at me earlier because I didn't quickly switch to Reaper for a lone overtime defense (presumably because he can eek out an extra few seconds of overtime with his invulnerability?)

Little tricks like that would be immensely useful.

You sometimes switch to Reaper at the end of matches because the other team switches to Winston and probably three tanks instead of two. Winston is one of the best stall tanks in the game and can quickly make it back to the point after dying. Reaper is his hard counter, and a good tank counter in general. If the other team switches to a beefy lineup and you are one of the DPS heroes, you should switch to Reaper and focus on their tanks.

Also his Wraith Form helps stall and Death Blossom will often break stalemates.

Hero switching is pretty crucial, but there honestly aren't a ton of hard counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone know why i can't remap keys globally and i have to go into each character's remaps to remap poo poo? Is it like once you remap to specific characters, you can't remap globally anymore or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mister Fister posted:

Anyone know why i can't remap keys globally and i have to go into each character's remaps to remap poo poo? Is it like once you remap to specific characters, you can't remap globally anymore or something?

If you've changed character-specific settings, those settings override your global ones. Even if you change your global settings afterwards.

You can reset your character-specific changes if you just want them to match your global settings going forwards.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
First match outside placement, player refused to leave spawn as another guy would not let him play his favorite class.

Then I crashed loading into match number 2 and lost over 60 rank.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

teagone posted:

Did your POTG involve a biotic grenade, or did you just own faces with your rifle. Grandma sniper is the best.

I was pushing the payload to the end with a D.Va, she distracted the enemy team long enough for me to grenade and shoot/punch to death a Hog, 76 and Lucio then won the game. 98 hours on Ana and only my 4th potg, but man grandma sniper is awesome.

In one of my placement matches, a dude asked if he could play Ana so I switched to 76. A second later he was like, "oh poo poo you have more hours than me, you wanna play her instead?". After we won he was like, "I should give you my golden rifle". So good. :3

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Is it important to be able to hit headshots on the enemy team to be an effective Ana? I can aim well enough to hit my teammates to keep them healed in fights when my grenade is recharging, but I'm a terrible sniper otherwise.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Sashimi posted:

Is it important to be able to hit headshots on the enemy team to be an effective Ana? I can aim well enough to hit my teammates to keep them healed in fights when my grenade is recharging, but I'm a terrible sniper otherwise.

Ana literally can't headshot.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Knew I was going to get placed into Platinum because it solo dropped me into a game full of them. Ended up placing 2973, which is higher than my S1-60 and S2-2500 placements.

Never saw a single Sombra, she really needs a damage buff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have lost every game where we've had a sombra for our "dps". Even if I switch to a real DPS people just get angry and quit.

In other news, I did a thing with roadhog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPrykKQMk0A

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

have you always been able to lose SR in draws and I just never noticed or is this a new thing

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I have a lot of freelance busywork to get through but want to drown myself in overwatch-related content while I work.

So: Maybe y'all can help me find Overwatch Youtube channels, Podcasts, twitch (and other) player streams, etc. to check out.

I'm looking to basically start building a comprehensive watch/listen-list of Overwatch community stuff. So it can be high-end competitive strat videos, entertaining comedy videos, community news feeds, fan animation/art/cosplay related stuff, interesting player streams worth checking out, etc. etc. etc. As long as it's good and worth getting into. Will even accept channels that aren't necessarily focused on Overwatch as long as it's a big part of what they do.

Edit: I asked twitter also and some of the suggestions I got to start making my list were; Your Overwatch, Lone Hawk, Unit Lost, Muselk, Flik, and Overcast

Sashimi posted:

Nope. Ana can't headshot with any of her attacks. You only have to worry about connecting lots of consistent bodyshots with her. Thank goodness too, because she already has her hands full enough - if she had to worry about connecting headshots on top of everything else she has to keep track of, it would be overwhelming - players would likely waste more time trying to line up whiffed headshots on enemies than healing their teammates.

An important thing you should know though: Her unscoped rifle fires a projectile dart with a small travel time. Her scoped is instant-hit hitscan. Ya gotta develop a sense of when to use each.

Oh, and the hitboxes for her to hit her teammates with heals are slightly larger than the hitboxes for hitting enemies with damage. It's all subtle stuff that adds up to a pretty nice gamefeel for playing her though. She's definitely one of my favorite characters in the game because of how nicely she plays.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Smiles posted:

I was pushing the payload to the end with a D.Va, she distracted the enemy team long enough for me to grenade and shoot/punch to death a Hog, 76 and Lucio then won the game. 98 hours on Ana and only my 4th potg, but man grandma sniper is awesome.

In one of my placement matches, a dude asked if he could play Ana so I switched to 76. A second later he was like, "oh poo poo you have more hours than me, you wanna play her instead?". After we won he was like, "I should give you my golden rifle". So good. :3

Ana POTGs are always amazing. The only recent game where I have been steamrolled was because of the enemy Ana. Her POTG was literally her nailing every single shot, a grenade and sleep dart on one of our pushes. It was one of those "Ah, that's what happened..." moments.

Also, project slampick D.Va every round update: went 2-1 last night. Last game I went 52:1 elims:death on Dorado and first game I had 7:05 minutes objective time on Route 66. Both games it was because we had a pro Ana who shot darts at my butt all game long. Pretty sure I was dancing around the cart for 2 minutes straight in overtime at one point and only lost my mech once. Apparently it's easy to hit D.Va with healing darts. I'm sure once I hit the rank 2500 range this won't be as easy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You would think at some point it'd be difficult to play The Best Tank, but no, it never gets harder.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
D.va too OP. Nerf plz.

More seriously, I hope all the tanks get a bit of a nerf, except Zarya I guess since she's already taken her lumps. Maybe Rein can slide too. The tank heavy meta kinda sucks.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think the tank-heavy meta is a twofold issue:

1) Ana is ridiculously powerful
2) Tank counters (Reaper, Bastion) are too specialized

I don't think the existing tanks need any nerfs at this point; I think Ana's stupid grenade needs a nerf. Sombra's hacking actually punishes tanks pretty well, but the rest of her kit is so lackluster in that role that she won't get used (goes back to point 2)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish Winston was a little better (i know he's not bad but i'm v bad at him)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish Winston was a little better (i know he's not bad but i'm v bad at him)

Winston needs teamwork, coordination, and proper group fights more than most other characters, not only for his side but for the enemy side to work well

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

novaSphere posted:

2) Tank counters (Reaper, Bastion) are too specialized

Sounds like the TF2 problem with the Heavy, where his counters (Spy and Sniper) were too specialized, so picking them ended up hurting your team unless you were really getting work done.

I think Reaper is fine, but other tank counters like Bastion and Junkrat are not used much for various reasons.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Sounds like the TF2 problem with the Heavy, where his counters (Spy and Sniper) were too specialized, so picking them ended up hurting your team unless you were really getting work done.

I think Reaper is fine, but other tank counters like Bastion and Junkrat are not used much for various reasons.

The difference being that nobody ran heavy in competitive TF2 so this didn't matter. And people still flexed (very rarely) to spy/sniper for singular pickoffs but you can't really do surprise class/hero switches in Overwatch because they reveal your hero picks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I didn't really consider bastion as a tank-cracker but I guess it makes sense to use him as one on defense. I would still consider mccree and soldier 76 way better picks in that regard because mobility while doing slightly less damage will trump raw damage while sitting like a lump every time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think Ana would still be in a good place if they nerfed her grenade. Maybe make it so it halves enemy healing and cut the ally healing boost to 1.5 instead of negating/doubling? I don't know.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think tweaking how much raw damage/healing it does would be a better place to start. In either case it doesn't really need to do both

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This is my favorite meta by far, leave it as is. Maybe nerf Widow.

An Ana nerf would just send me back to playing Zen, which I don't mind at all actually.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Papercut posted:

Maybe nerf Widow.

QP is nothing but the three snipers waffling around 300feet from the point while trying to score sick nasty headshots.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What's the leaver penalty, exactly? Just counts as a loss? Reason I ask is I periodically get crashes and when I do the game will refuse to restart (just crashes again immediately). I haven't been able to track down a cause and Blizz support was no help.

Does OW support 21:9 resolution well?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

When you leave a QM it's just an XP penalty until you get over the magic number, Comp you get a loss, a larger SR reduction, and a penalty to SR growth until it clears/end of season.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

When you leave a QM it's just an XP penalty until you get over the magic number, Comp you get a loss, a larger SR reduction, and a penalty to SR growth until it clears/end of season.
Did they remove the growing penalty for being able to queue comp again?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That might explain why I never got diamond last season. Got to like 2900 but had like a half dozen comp leaves due to the game making GBS threads the bed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

stuxracer posted:

Did they remove the growing penalty for being able to queue comp again?

Oh yeah, I forgot comp ban that gets longer, along with a 10 minute ban for leaving any match in the first minute.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

What's the leaver penalty, exactly? Just counts as a loss? Reason I ask is I periodically get crashes and when I do the game will refuse to restart (just crashes again immediately). I haven't been able to track down a cause and Blizz support was no help.

Does OW support 21:9 resolution well?

It supports it with black bars on the sides.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I think I would like to see something about Ana's healing output nerfed. The way grenade synergizes with Lucio's healing aura is perhaps too good. Same with how she can keep tanks up so well by herself with just M1.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/806196531795673088

Looks like the event is next Tuesday.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/806196531795673088

Christmas event starts next week, and the special themed map is a snowy King's Row!

EDIT: aw dang

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Im not sure, last night I clicked on comp by accident trying to look at the right click info. It started searching and I hit cancel, left the games screen, and then it loaded me in a comp match. I panicked and left before it loaded but still showed I had lost like 50 SR. In retrospect I should have just played out the match as even a loss wouldn't have been that much with my streak. Then I got pissed and warmed up while the penalty wore off and played a match. It put me in a match (with both teams over 100 more rank than I had before the leaver). We won and I still gained like 130 more rank like my streak was intact.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I think tweaking how much raw damage/healing it does would be a better place to start. In either case it doesn't really need to do both
the grenade is the only way she can heal herself so I'd rather it stay at 100.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nihilarian posted:

the grenade is the only way she can heal herself so I'd rather it stay at 100.

my thinking is having a crummy self heal (or none at all) is what sacrifice she makes for being the best healer of the bunch

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Remove the dumb made and give her a stim self heal she can use on herself or someone else but she has to be close.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBX posted:

Remove the dumb made and give her a stim self heal she can use on herself or someone else but she has to be close.

actually, the nade is good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The grenade is a good upper bound to how good a skill in Overwatch can/should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Spacedad posted:

I have a lot of freelance busywork to get through but want to drown myself in overwatch-related content while I work.

So: Maybe y'all can help me find Overwatch Youtube channels, Podcasts, twitch (and other) player streams, etc. to check out.

I'm looking to basically start building a comprehensive watch/listen-list of Overwatch community stuff. So it can be high-end competitive strat videos, entertaining comedy videos, community news feeds, fan animation/art/cosplay related stuff, interesting player streams worth checking out, etc. etc. etc. As long as it's good and worth getting into. Will even accept channels that aren't necessarily focused on Overwatch as long as it's a big part of what they do.

Edit: I asked twitter also and some of the suggestions I got to start making my list were; Your Overwatch, Lone Hawk, Unit Lost, Muselk, Flik, and Overcast

TBH I don't really think that there are any good podcasts for overwatch, but maybe I've missed one.

for other content I'd recommend:
Flame's YT
Steel's YT tips guides
All of skyline's videos
Seagull https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull
Harbleu's twitch
Ajcel https://www.twitch.tv/ajcel