Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

octagonoctopus posted:

Trying to remember this movie it's like a fake documentary using all black and white archival footage it's about like a conspiracy against the world think aliens and maybe bugs were involved but I don't think it had any speaking there were like different sections with title cards maybe and the name I think had a number in it? Like maybe something somethings 77?

Maybe Phase IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

octagonoctopus posted:

Trying to remember this movie it's like a fake documentary using all black and white archival footage it's about like a conspiracy against the world think aliens and maybe bugs were involved but I don't think it had any speaking there were like different sections with title cards maybe and the name I think had a number in it? Like maybe something somethings 77?

Tribulation 99, I loving love this film.

Full movie here, it's only about 45 minutes long: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v237840319FxR3zJb

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 16, 2016

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014

Sir Nose posted:

Tribulation 99

That's it, thanks dude

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I actually saw most of this movie today, which makes it more embarrassing that I can't figure out what it was (it was on "Comet TV" today, which doesn't appear to have a schedule listing of past shows). It was an old black-and-white sci-fi movie about a TV that walked around and did stuff. The TV sort of helped out the main character, to his resentment and dismay. The TV did things like helping him shave without his consent, and changed the music. The TV walked around on four little pedestal legs. The main character hated it and wanted to get rid of it, but whenever another character took action against the TV, the TV zapped them with a beam and they forgot about everything and left. One character hypothesized that the TV was a robot from the future that took the shape of a TV to fit in. Any ideas? (Yes, I realize this all sounds like a fever dream.)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

DorianGravy posted:

I actually saw most of this movie today, which makes it more embarrassing that I can't figure out what it was (it was on "Comet TV" today, which doesn't appear to have a schedule listing of past shows). It was an old black-and-white sci-fi movie about a TV that walked around and did stuff. The TV sort of helped out the main character, to his resentment and dismay. The TV did things like helping him shave without his consent, and changed the music. The TV walked around on four little pedestal legs. The main character hated it and wanted to get rid of it, but whenever another character took action against the TV, the TV zapped them with a beam and they forgot about everything and left. One character hypothesized that the TV was a robot from the future that took the shape of a TV to fit in. Any ideas? (Yes, I realize this all sounds like a fever dream.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twonky

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Was watching Fast Times At Ridgemont High last night, wife was pretty sure there was a sequel about their lives when they were grown up and got married. However, at least searching Wikipedia, I don't believe there was a sequel to this movie. I see there was a TV spin off, but from the wiki page it doesn't appear that was about their lives when they grew up. I thought maybe it was the breakfast club that had a sequel, but I'm not seeing anything.

Is there an 80s high school movie with similar to Ridgemont High which also had a sequel about the characters when they grew up? I'm hoping this is not too vague a question, not too many possibilities.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is there an 80s high school movie with similar to Ridgemont High which also had a sequel about the characters when they grew up? I'm hoping this is not too vague a question, not too many possibilities.

More American Graffiti is a sequel to American Graffiti that fits that profile. Although they're both from the 1970s.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Was it just them grown up or was it like a high school reunion thing?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I believe the sequel I am thinking of did not include a high school reunion.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Crotch Fruit posted:

Was watching Fast Times At Ridgemont High last night, wife was pretty sure there was a sequel about their lives when they were grown up and got married. However, at least searching Wikipedia, I don't believe there was a sequel to this movie. I see there was a TV spin off, but from the wiki page it doesn't appear that was about their lives when they grew up. I thought maybe it was the breakfast club that had a sequel, but I'm not seeing anything.

are you sure you're not thinking of the epilogue where it says what they all did when they got older? Or you might be thinking of something like St. Elmo's Fire or The Big Chill which are spiritual sequels to those types of movies.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I saw a short film on youtube that I thought was called "Step on a crack" a couple years ago, but looking for it again I am coming up empty. I don't think there is any script - just music - but I don't think it was a music video from a band. A guy is walking down a sidewalk in a city and it is a very surreal video with a LOT of CGI. I don't remember exactly, but it seems like there was a part where the sidewalk was breaking apart and falling down into nothingness as he was walking across it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Grosse Pointe Blank is a sequel to all high school movies starring John Cusack.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SkunkDuster posted:

I saw a short film on youtube that I thought was called "Step on a crack" a couple years ago, but looking for it again I am coming up empty. I don't think there is any script - just music - but I don't think it was a music video from a band. A guy is walking down a sidewalk in a city and it is a very surreal video with a LOT of CGI. I don't remember exactly, but it seems like there was a part where the sidewalk was breaking apart and falling down into nothingness as he was walking across it.
Maybe DIX? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnqM7Ojcz8

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's exactly it. Thanks much!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I saw a movie on VHS tape in 1998 or 1999, it seemed like a fairly recent movie at the time, so I would guess early-mid 1990s. I think it was some kind of big-American-city crime/detective flick but I might be remembering wrong on that point. Anyway, the scene I particularly remember had the main male and female characters walking home at night on a quiet city street, and they encounter some grizzled old street performer with a guitar, and they talk with him for some reason and ask him something about playing a song, and he says something like "not just a song, the best song", and then he launches into this slow acoustic-guitar-and-vocals version of "Danny Boy" and basically the movie plot grinds to a halt for a couple of minutes so this grizzled dude can sing "Danny Boy" on this dark quiet street.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

tacodaemon posted:

I saw a movie on VHS tape in 1998 or 1999, it seemed like a fairly recent movie at the time, so I would guess early-mid 1990s. I think it was some kind of big-American-city crime/detective flick but I might be remembering wrong on that point. Anyway, the scene I particularly remember had the main male and female characters walking home at night on a quiet city street, and they encounter some grizzled old street performer with a guitar, and they talk with him for some reason and ask him something about playing a song, and he says something like "not just a song, the best song", and then he launches into this slow acoustic-guitar-and-vocals version of "Danny Boy" and basically the movie plot grinds to a halt for a couple of minutes so this grizzled dude can sing "Danny Boy" on this dark quiet street.

Almost definitely Miller's Crossing

e: Doesn't have that specific scene but this song is featured in it and it hits basically every other part of what you're saying

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's not Millers Crossing. It's a made-for-Showtime movie called "Gotham" (aka The Dead Can't Lie) w Tommy Lee Jones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A horror movie featuring a clown with stained sharp teeth, that shows up accompanied by a white flash of light. No kids were involved, the clown targets one particular central character, might be a period piece. Came out at least 15 years ago. Modern-ish, low budget. May feature a scene where the clown comes out of the tv. That's all the details I could get from my friend.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
time to ask about this again..it's been driving me nuts for so long and the only results of googling is me asking about it

Brian Dennehy (or someone like him) is a small-town cop, and he pulls over this young teenage-ish couple, and makes the guy get grease from under his car, and rapes the girl with it. He tells the boyfriend that if he turns around, and the cop is holding the gun, he will kill them both. But if he isn't, he will let them go. He isn't but the kid never turns around, and so the cop keeps raping the girlfriend. A line I (kinda) remember - "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy" - when making the kid get the grease. The boy and girl confront the cop the next day at some diner.

It is NOT Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call (before that) or that Stephen King tv novella about Ron Pearlman.

An old roommate and I used to quote this to each other in the late 90s, so I know at least two people saw it, please help.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

It's not Millers Crossing. It's a made-for-Showtime movie called "Gotham" (aka The Dead Can't Lie) w Tommy Lee Jones.

Hahaha oh heavens you're right, the scene is even on YouTube. I forgot the part about how the singer is homeless with one of those oildrums full of fire that all homeless dudes had in 1980s movies

It really needs to be seen for how ridiculous it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERU_7cLI1I

e: The reason I couldn't remember more about the movie was that even when I was a yoot, this scene struck me as so ham-handedly bathetic that I had to shut the movie off while laughing and couldn't bring myself to watch any more

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm certain my previous request did not exit beyond a concept phase, but I'm sure this one is real!

Part 1: a dude becomes obsessed with static on TV, like it contained messages from aliens or something. I think he might have been particularly obsessed with static on VHS tapes but my memory is fuzzy on this one. I just recall there seemed to be an absurdly long section of the movie about the guy watching static on TV. Pretty sure this was made in the last decade, I also seem to recall watching it on Netflix so it's possible it could have been a made for Netflix thing.

Part 2: Another 80s kids movie, kid was in a fantasy world at the base of a tree that be had to climb and I think a voice said something to the kid like "you are the writer of the story" so the kid realized he could just say something like "I found a step" <step like stump grows out of tree> "and another step" <another stump appears> and so on until the kid climbed the tree.I seem to recall once the kid made it to the top, be entered like a glass shaped sphere thing where a young girl was waiting. Pretty sure the girl was a villain, and pretty sure the girl was like eating strawberrkes or raspberries.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Part 2: Another 80s kids movie, kid was in a fantasy world at the base of a tree that be had to climb and I think a voice said something to the kid like "you are the writer of the story" so the kid realized he could just say something like "I found a step" <step like stump grows out of tree> "and another step" <another stump appears> and so on until the kid climbed the tree.I seem to recall once the kid made it to the top, be entered like a glass shaped sphere thing where a young girl was waiting. Pretty sure the girl was a villain, and pretty sure the girl was like eating strawberrkes or raspberries.

That sounds like the Neverending story 2. The kid can wish for anything, but he does't know each wish costs him one memory, and he wastes a bunch wishing for steps.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm certain my previous request did not exit beyond a concept phase, but I'm sure this one is real!

Part 1: a dude becomes obsessed with static on TV, like it contained messages from aliens or something. I think he might have been particularly obsessed with static on VHS tapes but my memory is fuzzy on this one. I just recall there seemed to be an absurdly long section of the movie about the guy watching static on TV. Pretty sure this was made in the last decade, I also seem to recall watching it on Netflix so it's possible it could have been a made for Netflix thing.

It's been an age since I saw it, but that's the plot of White Noise - what are those shapes hidden in the static? They're monsters out to get you! If you remember Nathan Fillion being in it and it sorta ripping off Final Destination it'd be the sequel.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Correct on both, it amazes me how effective his thread is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a movie I saw when I was a kid. If I had to guess it's from the mid/late eighties. It's a medieval movie iirc. I remember there is a part where a guy sees his friend, who is a woman pretending to be a man bathing in a lake so he gets naked and hops in. when he goes under water he sees her naked and blows a bunch of "shocked" air bubbles out of his mouth.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

veni veni veni posted:

It's a movie I saw when I was a kid. If I had to guess it's from the mid/late eighties. It's a medieval movie iirc. I remember there is a part where a guy sees his friend, who is a woman pretending to be a man bathing in a lake so he gets naked and hops in. when he goes under water he sees her naked and blows a bunch of "shocked" air bubbles out of his mouth.

the awesome Dragonslayer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082288/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup! Man that was quicker than I expected.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

veni veni veni posted:

Yup! Man that was quicker than I expected.

...how many times do I have to hear that in one night ㅠㅠ

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Bit more of an open question this time, because I haven't (as far as I can recall) seen it, just learnt about it from cultural osmosis... Where did the idea of two people agreeing to murder someone for eachother, such that the one with motive has an alibi and plausible deniability, begin? It might even be from a book or something. Hell, maybe real life.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Allyn posted:

Bit more of an open question this time, because I haven't (as far as I can recall) seen it, just learnt about it from cultural osmosis... Where did the idea of two people agreeing to murder someone for eachother, such that the one with motive has an alibi and plausible deniability, begin? It might even be from a book or something. Hell, maybe real life.

Strangers on a Train, probably. It was a Patricia Highsmith novel that was turned into a film by Hitchcock. It may not be the first case of this trope, but it's likely the most popular.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Allyn posted:

Strangers on a Train is the earliest I can think of. The book was 1950 and the movie 51.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ladron posted:

It is NOT Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call (before that) or that Stephen King tv novella about Ron Pearlman.

Could it be the original Bad Lieutenant, with Harvey Keitel? I feel like this is what it is, because I've seen this scene, and I'd bet money on it being from that film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Could it be the original Bad Lieutenant, with Harvey Keitel? I feel like this is what it is, because I've seen this scene, and I'd bet money on it being from that film.

The only person raped in the original was the nun, though Keitel does force two teenage girls to pose for him while he jerks off.

Wow, what a sentence.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

nope, great movie tho

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ladron posted:

time to ask about this again..it's been driving me nuts for so long and the only results of googling is me asking about it

Brian Dennehy (or someone like him) is a small-town cop, and he pulls over this young teenage-ish couple, and makes the guy get grease from under his car, and rapes the girl with it. He tells the boyfriend that if he turns around, and the cop is holding the gun, he will kill them both. But if he isn't, he will let them go. He isn't but the kid never turns around, and so the cop keeps raping the girlfriend. A line I (kinda) remember - "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy" - when making the kid get the grease. The boy and girl confront the cop the next day at some diner.

An old roommate and I used to quote this to each other in the late 90s, so I know at least two people saw it, please help.

For a second, I thought it was The Outsiders - what with 'grease' and 'cherry'. :P

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
I've got two I can never seen to remember / find.

1) I can't remember if this is a proper, full length movie or, like, a one hour TV special. It's a kid's Halloween movie where some monsters/aliens appear and some kids help them keep the mean old people from stealing the candy or something? The clearest thing I can remember about it is that one of the aliens is basically a pogo stick that repeatedly says something like 'boing' every time it moves.

2) This is, I think, an 80s movie. A family buys a large toy robot that is meant to fire nerf discs and nerf balls at the kid, but it ends up loading CDs, ball bearings, and other supposedly lethal objects into its launchers and goes around killing people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ladron posted:

nope, great movie tho

Well, great... now I want to know where this scene is from, too. :argh:

Edit: drat, I thought it might have been Crash, but no dice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 6, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A flying piece of posted:

1) I can't remember if this is a proper, full length movie or, like, a one hour TV special. It's a kid's Halloween movie where some monsters/aliens appear and some kids help them keep the mean old people from stealing the candy or something? The clearest thing I can remember about it is that one of the aliens is basically a pogo stick that repeatedly says something like 'boing' every time it moves.

2) This is, I think, an 80s movie. A family buys a large toy robot that is meant to fire nerf discs and nerf balls at the kid, but it ends up loading CDs, ball bearings, and other supposedly lethal objects into its launchers and goes around killing people.

First one sounds like Last Halloween and the second sounds kind of like Deadly Friend

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

A flying piece of posted:

Number 2 is Evolver from 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, that bad cop scene is now driving ME nuts, because I know I've seen it, too.

:argh: