Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

does every kickstarter have insane, unhinged people waiting in the wings for delivery or is there something special about 3D printing?

idiots desperately want 3d printing to be star trek replicators that can churn out poo poo for them to sell with zero effort beyond buying the machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i took out a third mortgage to stock up on tequila for my beachside margarita stand but the cooler with a blender shipped late so now im homeless and super drunk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

all these are amazing and that isnt even

that's what I was talking about without quoting it tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ggdzBj31PQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCaqh38JVQ

Its not a 3d printer. Its just a desktop laser cutter which already exist uuuuugh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

glowforge is being backed (like every other project on KS, i guess) by stupid morons with no concept of business or finances or anything resembling economics.

like, those hysterical dumbshits hyperventilating about how they need the laser cutter to run their business or whatever and they're going bankrupt? if they got in at the very beginning and got one of the least expensive glowforge backer options, they spent $2000 on it.

i can go to full spectrum laser's website right this moment and purchase their entry-level 20x12 40w laser, which does exactly the same things as the glowforge does (albeit without the auto-alignment software for dummies) and have it on my doorstep in under a week. it costs $3499. selling laser-cut wooden earrings at $30/pr on etsy, total material cost: like a nickel each, i could make the $1500 difference back in a couple of weeks if i had a good product.

glowforge has said that their full purchase price is going to be $4000, so at that stage you aren't even saving money, you're spending $500 for software that, if you need its easy-mode assistance to use a laser cutter, you are too incompetent to ever have a business selling laser-cut products anyway.

"3d laser printer" is also some real :wtc: marketing buzzword bullshit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

iffffffffff it works nearly as easily as that video says it does, $500 is not an awful price premium for that kind of convenience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's convenience on the level of "okay now your grandma can use this", though. i can teach a 19 year old kid how to run our epilog lasers in under 4 classroom hours and those have much more complex software than either FSL or glowforge. if your business really hinges on that software because you're too incompetent to pick up concepts like "draw a line that you want to cut" and "change the power setting if it doesn't cut through the material" on your own, you were already hosed

laser cutters are not hard. put the material in the machine, draw the shapes you want to cut, set the power and speed, press go, watch and wait.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not pictured: adequate venting, everyone dying from gas emissions

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

everyone dying from gas emissions

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

it's convenience on the level of "okay now your grandma can use this", though. i can teach a 19 year old kid how to run our epilog lasers in under 4 classroom hours and those have much more complex software than either FSL or glowforge. if your business really hinges on that software because you're too incompetent to pick up concepts like "draw a line that you want to cut" and "change the power setting if it doesn't cut through the material" on your own, you were already hosed

laser cutters are not hard. put the material in the machine, draw the shapes you want to cut, set the power and speed, press go, watch and wait.

yeah, obviously the dumb part is don't spend money you don't have on a machine that doesn't exist yet and count on it to ship on time and feed you. but having a tool with software geared toward artists and not engineers at a comparable price to other tools like it is not really egregiously dumb

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The most likely scenario for someone making money off this thing is where they're already running a business that makes some relevant product by hand and this machine makes it easier/quicker/more precise. I can imagine someone like that not wanting to deal with complex software or configuration in that case.

If someone's currently incapable of making a viable product using basic cutting tools on the other hand, I'm failing to see the magic touch that this machine is going to bring to their efforts that'll turn things around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also lmao at the glowforge being in the kitchen and laser-cutting food.

yes, you can technically engrave patterns into the top of something melty like chocolate, or burn a hazy image into toast if you don't care about it taking 15 minutes and not actually toasting the bread. but try cutting a pizza and see if you can achieve anything other than a foul-smelling scorched mess. ask me how i know!

(and make sure you buy one for the kitchen and one for the shop, cause you don't want to share the build envelope unless you really like eating acrylamides and reactive plastic monomers)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah, obviously the dumb part is don't spend money you don't have on a machine that doesn't exist yet and count on it to ship on time and feed you. but having a tool with software geared toward artists and not engineers at a comparable price to other tools like it is not really egregiously dumb

i'll be super impressed, genuinely amazed, if their software can do half the stuff that's implied in the video. a lot of it is real weasely.

e.g.:

"dual cameras make a 3d model of your drawing!" <- they are showing an etching process, where the artwork is burned to a lower level than the material, like on a rubber stamp. it's embossing. cool, but not "making a 3d model of the artwork."

"print anything from our catalog!" (shows a giant spherical cardboard lamp) <- this would take at least a day's worth of laser cutting, constantly swapping out cardboard, then painstaking hand assembly and glue-up. there is software that can take geometric models and make contour slices to be cut out and glued together into a 3d model like that already. Autodesk has a free one called 1-2-3D Make.

(woman takes a picture of a street map of SF and makes it into a wallet) <- the etching shown on the wallet is clearly a vector process, based on the sharpeness of the result, but she used a cell phone camera to take a raster image of the street map. either their software is seriously a step beyond the state-of-the-art in automatic image vectorizing, or they're being shady with how easy it is to turn that image into that wallet. you could make a crap looking wallet with the straight raster from the iphone, true.

(kid flying a laser-cut quadcopter drone) <- holy poo poo, like 98% of the work there is in careful design and CAD modeling of the product. the laser cutting is the least difficult part of the process.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I usually skip over the audio so this is the first time I heard their tagline of 'You can build a mansion without being an architect!'

Yeah, sure. Sure you can glowforge.

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I usually skip over the audio so this is the first time I heard their tagline of 'You can build a mansion without being an architect!'

*shows incredibly complicated 3D dollhouse that would take weeks of design work to lay out*

the laser cuts the parts out quickly, but only if you have the designs. it's more like saying you can build a mansion without hiring any carpenters. you still have to design the thing you want to build, and that's always been the biggest stumbling block. glowforge doesn't appear to solve that in any way that i haven't seen already.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Synthbuttrange posted:

this is completely true though? architecture and construction are different things.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i'll be super impressed, genuinely amazed, if their software can do half the stuff that's implied in the video. a lot of it is real weasely.

yeah that's what would be worth $4k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean if they've developed a system that can take a lovely low-res photo of dense artwork, convert it into clean vector paths including proper text formatting and consistent line weights, and place that onto a wallet pattern in a way that wraps correctly when folded up, entirely automatically, they should probably just sell that and leave the laser cutter part of it alone.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Synthbuttrange posted:

'You can build a mansion without being an architect!'

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

The most likely scenario for someone making money off this thing is where they're already running a business that makes some relevant product by hand and this machine makes it easier/quicker/more precise. I can imagine someone like that not wanting to deal with complex software or configuration in that case.

If someone's currently incapable of making a viable product using basic cutting tools on the other hand, I'm failing to see the magic touch that this machine is going to bring to their efforts that'll turn things around.

i'm pretty sure the thought process was:

guy wants to start business that uses this kind of thing
guy finds out there's this cheaper* kickstarter version of the equipment, decides he can save big by buying that instead
guy somehow gets the money together for business loans or w/e i guess and gets poo poo set up and thinks he just has to wait for the kickstarter people to deliver
5 years later his pacemaker explodes or whatever he's complaining about because he's so mad this flawless plan didn't work

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wonder if they were trying to avoid import tariffs, seeing as they were flying to the US to pick it up instead of just having it shipped.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i took out a third mortgage to stock up on tequila for my beachside margarita stand but the cooler with a blender shipped late so now im homeless and super drunk

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

claiming laser cutting is teachable in <4 hours and pretending we live in a magical world where you know all the speeds and feeds for all materials and cuts you wanna do is pretty weasely tbh.

The one thing I can't really fault them on is not actually backing up their claims (as terrible as their wording is sometimes). The trace function in the prerelease does work (I have no idea why they call it what they call it on that original pitch video, but they're also calling this a 3d printer so I took it as their marketing team is bad)(they need to compensate for camera distortion from what I saw on tested's demo) and the 3D/Greyscale Engraving is pretty nice! The work the gf software did camming adams sketch wasn't that bad either. Dans photo conversion / etch looked good on the QnA the other night as well. That's the extent of the 'amazing' software innovations - the rest is online design catalogues and remakes of existing stuff from 123d

The replacement to FSLs H line was supposed to be out in november and has some of the camera stuff as well. We'll see how that turns out eventually. edit: they're making a large announcement on monday apparently.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 4, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

*shows incredibly complicated 3D dollhouse that would take weeks of design work to lay out*

the laser cuts the parts out quickly, but only if you have the designs. it's more like saying you can build a mansion without hiring any carpenters. you still have to design the thing you want to build, and that's always been the biggest stumbling block. glowforge doesn't appear to solve that in any way that i haven't seen already.

yeah but access to premade designs is a big selling point in their video

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
there's a guy out at the treasure island flea market with a booth full of driftwood + laser-etched memes, always wondered what kind of margin he was pulling

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

JawnV6 posted:

there's a guy out at the treasure island flea market with a booth full of driftwood + laser-etched memes, always wondered what kind of margin he was pulling

i have to imagine the margins are really good but the upfront costs are terrible. guess it would depend on how you get driftwood and your electrical costs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

margins? excellent. a desktop laser runs on 120v AC (so the power draw isn't any more than say a big microwave or a toaster oven) and the driftwood is essentially free. a girlfriend and i once sold laser-cut earrings using the grad studio's laser cutter (:ssh:) at $30/pr for like 50 cents of wood and 25 cents of metal hooks and loops.

back then the startup cost was about $35,000 for an entry-level epilog. now you can get a Full Spectrum for $4k or a chinese knockoff with no safety interlocks and questionable electrical design for half that. recoup your up-front in a month if you have a good product; memes sell like hotcakes so i'm sure he's doing fine

Pissflaps posted:

yeah but access to premade designs is a big selling point in their video

yeah but not having to rely on premade designs is like, the entire fuckin point of owning the machinery

like, if i want a quadcopter i could download their design and laser cut it myself from wood, or i could buy the same design from aliexpress but it's going to be made of carbon fiber so it's stronger and lighter and also it will cost less not even counting the price of the laser

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

a chinese knockoff with no safety interlocks and questionable electrical design for half that

That's my favourite thread in DIY.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739294

quote:

you can buy a similarly sized 40 watt CO2 laser engraver/cutter from an eBay importer for $350-400 with free shipping. These machines, commonly called a K40 or DK40, are originally designed for engraving rubber stamps and hastily assembled by a variety of unnamed manufacturers in China with zero quality control. Think of it as their version of an open source device, but the plans and software have been stolen or copied from some original design that is now so far removed from the market that it might as well have never existed. There are absolutely no safety interlocks of any kind to prevent you from killing yourself, the controlling electronics are probably reverse engineered from a major manufacturer's printer, and the software you'll get is likely a chinese-language plugin for a pirated copy of CorelDraw. Malware optional.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

yeah but not having to rely on premade designs is like, the entire fuckin point of owning the machinery

like, if i want a quadcopter i could download their design and laser cut it myself from wood, or i could buy the same design from aliexpress but it's going to be made of carbon fiber so it's stronger and lighter and also it will cost less not even counting the price of the laser

I don't think you get it

if I buy it from aliexpress I'm just a boring consumer

if I buy the machinery and use it to cut someone else's design then I'm a ~*~maker~*~

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-gaming-console-can-play-retro-games-from-28-d-1789726792

it's a raspberry pi with a bunch of emulators installed on it and a fancy metal shell

it's raised $18,000

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://gizmodo.com/this-tiny-gaming-console-can-play-retro-games-from-28-d-1789726792

it's a raspberry pi with a bunch of emulators installed on it and a fancy metal shell

it's raised $18,000

the twouya

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's raised $18,000
Legal Disclaimer: The designs and functionality shown are not necessarily final, they are used for illustrative purposes and may be subject to change. The SBC board used in the prototypes is subject to change depending on economies of scale. The system does not ship with software components or games we didn't either license, develop ourselves or use under a permissible Open Source license. Where we modify or build on Open Source software in order to enable the functionality of our system, we will release all source code once distribution of the final units commences, irrespectively of license type.

ROM(**) usage: If you decide to install the additional Emulator Pack to enable the system to run game backups from older systems, the legality of using such ROMs depends on your countries laws and on additional circumstances such as for example your continued permission of the original copy of the game as well as the original hardware it ran on. The functionality is meant to allow you access to your old gaming favorites, in cases where e.g. technical reasons prevent you from continued use of those - always subject to the laws of your country. We do not condone software piracy.

* - An Emulator is a program that tells a computer how to behave like the console or arcade machine did, so that it knows how to interpret the ROMs.

** - A ROM is a digital copy of an individual game program that was originally running on Arcade machines, consoles or older home-computers. A ROM can normally only be run on the system it was originally designed for.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's raised $18,000

you've heard of recalbox, now get ready for fecalbox

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Meat Beat Agent posted:

you've heard of recalbox, now get ready for fecalbox

the box that we keep all you're posts in

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
now available on kicksharter

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's raised $18,000

quote:

Retrogaming is constantly gaining in popularity but until now was mostly the domain of computer nerds and tech wizards who enjoy repurposing older console systems or handling bare bones electronics.
:allears:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

now available on kicksharter

where a fool and his money are soon sharted

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yer a techwizard 'arry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's raised $18,000

*looks at menu shown just in the initial gif*

I literally bought a rasppi for yosmas a few years back, and flashed an image on it for emulation.

the exact same menus (but some other dude in here made the image, did some optimizations for weirder systems, and had already done some things to make sure you could operate it just from a usb snes controller)

• Locked thread