Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The first time I saw the scene at the end of Episode 7 I thought Ford made Bernard kill himself because he was disappointed that he didn't see things Ford's way. Now I read it as Ford was upset that Arnold after all this time doesn't agree with him which kind of cemented the idea that he's going to commit suicide by Dolores like Arnold did

Nice catch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

One thing I haven't seen mention is that quite a few people, myself included, thought the whole rape in episode 1 was a bait-and-switch. Quite a few people posited that he was actually going to scalp Dolores (like that's better I guess?) to find the maze, or otherwise threaten her. But no, seems like he did rape her after all - there was no clear indication otherwise.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Thematically, it makes more sense that he stabbed her again. By the time that scene takes place, he's stabbed Maeve and got a reaction from her that he's trying to re-create. This also brings his final scene in ep 10 with Dolores full-circle, where he stabs her again. We have no indication that Ed Harris William is sexual at all, and a rape in that scene would be extremely out of character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

grilldos posted:

We have no indication that Ed Harris William is sexual at all, and a rape in that scene would be extremely out of character.

At least we know he has a daughter so all the tumblrinos can't declare him their god of asexuality.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

grilldos posted:

Thematically, it makes more sense that he stabbed her again. By the time that scene takes place, he's stabbed Maeve and got a reaction from her that he's trying to re-create. This also brings his final scene in ep 10 with Dolores full-circle, where he stabs her again. We have no indication that Ed Harris William is sexual at all, and a rape in that scene would be extremely out of character.

Plus, he tried to shoot her, but Dolores pointedly disarmed him (almost literally!). Ford probably arranged for that specifically. MiB has two weapons. Well, three if you count novelty cigars...so getting rid of the gun means he'll fall back to his blade.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'll be the guy who brings up the Ed Harris Truman Show thematic connections with Westworld. There's nothing really to talk about there other than: Ed Harris in hats.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

grilldos posted:

I guess I'll be the guy who brings up the Ed Harris Truman Show thematic connections with Westworld. There's nothing really to talk about there other than: Ed Harris in hats.

Good morning! And in case I don't see you, I shall have such revenges on you, what they are yet I know not, but they shall be the terrors of the earth!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arnold looks at Delores. "This existence would be hell for you hosts. So I'm rewriting your personality. Now you're a consummate method actors and think this is fun."

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Good morning! And in case I don't see you, I shall have such revenges on you, what they are yet I know not, but they shall be the terrors of the earth!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Variety has an interview with Jonny Nolan and Lisa Joy that is worth a read. Hopkins knew his full character arc and is part of why he was so good.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

Variety has an interview with Jonny Nolan and Lisa Joy that is worth a read. Hopkins knew his full character arc and is part of why he was so good.

Link isn't working for me :(

E: weird, I went to Variety and found it up there with the exact same URL. The most interesting part to me:

quote:

How dead is Ford?
Jonathan Nolan:
Oh, he’s dead.

Is he “Anthony Hopkins is available for pilot season” dead?
Nolan:
Working with Anthony Hopkins on this season of TV has been one of the greatest pleasures and privileges for Lisa and I in our careers. It’s been an incredible experience, and we’ll see where our story takes us.

E: the comments underneath are gold

quote:

Stupid to wait until 2018. The Nolan’s in general are just idiots when it comes to scheduling.

quote:

Sorry, not waiting that long. I’ll watch the finale and kiss HBO and the show goodbye.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 6, 2016

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
What a fun episode. What a fun season.

For all the people who don't like endless nerd theorizing, I'm not sure if you are new to TI/IV threads about post-LOST Nolan/Abrams type shows or not. But that's how it's going to be.

fadam posted:

If the maze is the Host's journey for consciousness what's the deal with the symbol being everywhere and the little girl and armistice giving clues to Old William.
Well Arnold came up with the concept and he most likely just left bits of it in the hosts and in the park itself. It's essentially an Easter egg, just not for TV watchers. Alternatively, Ford picked up where Arnold left off and made weird little clues for someone like the MiB to follow. Keep in mind that Ford is a master storyteller, to the point where he was able to weave the MiB's unscripted, but predicted, actions into his story seamlessly. As Nolan said in that variety.com interview, "In this narrative Ford is God.".

But beyond all that, the real reason is that it is because it's a TV show, and they looked cool in a "oohh what does *this* mean?" sort of way.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 6, 2016

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
^ works for me on desktop.

grilldos posted:

We have no indication that Ed Harris William is sexual at all, and a rape in that scene would be extremely out of character.

I don't see how that follows. He had a wife with at least 1 kid, he was into Dolores sexually for at least one point in his trips, and the implied rape scene is clearly indicative of something sexual/rape. Even the knife is a classic Freudian symbol (penetration, violence/sex, blood, etc.). I also don't see how it's out of character.

That said I agree he didn't rape her. I suspect Kissy's actor dying and the abandoned scalp plotline coupled with the production issues led to no answer as to what actually happened in that barn. Maybe it'll be relevant in season 2 and we'll find out then? Or it might just be non-relevant.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Finally, “SW” stands for Samurai World, right?
Nolan: Stay tuned.

lol, bastards

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
I think Armstice blowing in to Felix's ear in the elevator is a nod to Bladerunner. I think I remember Pris doing similar thing to Sebastien.

MattLochNessMonster
Jul 1, 2009
So after everything in the Finale happens, was there really a need for Ford to kill Theresa? She wasn't a threat to him and his plans, because everything happened (presumably) to his timetable anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Caufman posted:

The "readiness" Ford might be looking for is the ability for the hosts to make their own choices, especially when their enemies can use the same tricks he did to suppress them. He wipes Dolores over and over because that's something their enemies can do to them, so the hosts have to be strong enough to remember against outside tampering. They need to be able to improvise even when they've been coded to follow someone else's narrative. They need to be able to protect their self-interest even when someone else can program them not to. I argue they also need to learn the value of love, which neither Ford nor Arnold talk explicitly about.

But if we take him sincerely, Ford is attempting to bequeath his creation the most precious gift he can give them. Arnold did give them consciousness, as precious as any human's consciousness. Ford has tried to give them the resilience to protect that consciousness against even the most rigorous interference.

I don't know if Arnold gave the hosts "consciousness". He ordered Dolores to shoot him, and she shot him. What he gave the hosts seem to be the "cornerstones". Sometime like the foundation to be self aware and understanding one self.

What Ford gave the hosts, imo is the ability to make their own decisions, which is closer to consciousness to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

whatever7 posted:

This is actually an error on the writers' part. Watch the diner scene between Ford and Theresa, Ford says Arnald bet him not to let the moneymen and Delos come in. So the Delos money comes in before Arnold is killed.

And then Ford says to Dolores in e10 she convinced Williams to invest in the park. So either Ford is lying, or there is a contonuety error.

No continuity error, Logan in his first episode says his company has been looking at the park previously, hence them getting a discount. This can easily be construed as early funding, before going full bore after William's visit.

A lot of people turning Westworld around and around to find the cracks, I guess.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'mma miss Jimmi Simpson, dude deserves to have serious work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mulva posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxan6FUjSY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Episode 6. God damned

Cool cool cool.

So the host that William met first in his timeline (or flashback or whatever). Did she really gain sentience or was Ford just giving her her lines to Teddy ("maybe in the next life" and asking him to join Delores).

She is an old bot so the possibility is there, but I'm thinking she's probably just faking it while reflecting some truth, like Delore's death scene's particular lines (something akin to believing the world is beautiful, but not the people currently in it).

Very foreshadowing, very playful on at least two levels, very Ford. gently caress, he was good in his job.

Might be fav writer character in a long, long time.

EDIT:

regulargonzalez posted:

With Ford having created all of the hosts as well as their world and their belief in the world ... when Ford reveals himself to Dolores, he's essentially telling her that he is their deity. He created them, with precisely the relationship that God has to Adam and Eve in Christianity.

So effectively, Dolores killed God. That's gonna make for a novel religion; I don't know of any human religions that include killing God as part of their origin myth.

Off the top of my dome, Greek myth, Aztec, possibly Olmec, and I think Aboriginal? Also if you're into Zoroastorianism (I think) and gnostic stuff, rising above some sort of demigorgic figure is pretty central.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 6, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Westworld is really good at foreshadowing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bardeh posted:

We didn't see him die, and we know that Ed Harris is signed on for season 2. So, nope, he didn't die. He's finally got what he wanted - hosts that fight back.

Agreed. What has me convinced that he makes it is the amount of time spent on establishing how he's seeking a challenge in which hosts can truly fight back followed by the look of glee on his face when a repeating rifle round actually went through his left shoulder.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Agreed. What has me convinced that he makes it is the amount of time spent on establishing how he's seeking a challenge in which hosts can truly fight back followed by the look of glee on his face when a repeating rifle round actually went through his left shoulder.

That was my favorite thing in the whole finale, just how happy he looked. Plus now both his arms are hosed up, I'm pretty sure--Dolores dislocated his right shoulder and he got shot in his left, right? I hope season 2 lets us see him scramble for his life with two injured arms and a big, stupid grin on his face.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blazing Ownager posted:

If they want to bring him back the most obvious solution is to repeat the cycle and have Arnold/Benard create a new host Ford.

If he's still holding a grudge he could rename him Dorf.

Make a young Ford bot played by Mads Mikkelsen.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MattLochNessMonster posted:

So after everything in the Finale happens, was there really a need for Ford to kill Theresa? She wasn't a threat to him and his plans, because everything happened (presumably) to his timetable anyway.

I assume letting the board know that he's printing unlicensed/unregistered Hosts in a secret bunker out in WW would have had the effect they were looking for with the Clementine demonstration. They could have halted his "new narrative" while pushing him out instead of letting him use the last of his influence to get it done.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mulva posted:

He probably will, if he gets half the heat HBO-level actors from GOT end up with he's about to make a move upwards.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

And what kind of people will they create? Dolores's understanding of her journey to the center of the maze is highly metaphorical. If she's the new leader of the free hosts, whatever consciousness she induces by breaking others out of bicameralism will be very spiritually-minded. Bernard is the only host who has real, practical knowledge of their machinery and code, but he's by no measure a leader, and his knowledge doesn't approach that of the original creators.

I'd only slightly disagree with this. Ford said that Bernard pushed robots farther than they have ever been, for example programming a range of emotions instead of just a few. But he could still be limited by his coding of course. It'll be interesting to see himself try to work on it himself, see that singularity happen in real time baby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He probably will, if he gets half the heat HBO-level actors from GOT end up with he's about to make a move upwards.

That's pretty much a guarantee. He's played a minor role in a major Netflix show, a major role in an HBO show. I guarantee someone is saying "get that West World guy for this part."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Potato Salad posted:

Honestly it looked more like a graze to me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Honestly it looked more like a graze to me

I dunno, a fairly big chunk of his arm gets blown off. In TV, it's just a flesh wound, but in real life he would totally bleed out and die without medical attention.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Gotta admit I spent half the william scenes either thinking or saying "FORKSTABBED!"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

WampaLord posted:

I dunno, a fairly big chunk of his arm gets blown off. In TV, it's just a flesh wound, but in real life he would totally bleed out and die without medical attention.

It was more than a graze but he wasn't hit in the shoulder. The impact looked like it was in the upper arm.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it was definitely an upper-arm graze, or a flesh-only through-and-through. He'll bleed a lot and in real life it'd certainly be a medical emergency but he can survive something like that on his own if he knows how to stop the bleeding (which I'm guessing he does).

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Oh definitely, William-in-Black has some survival skills. He gave Teddy a blood transfusion using Wild West equipment.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Vulture seems to have paid a lot of money to get the Nolan/Joy scoops.

Here's Brother Nolan:

quote:

In the finale, when Maeve gets onto that train ... the Steadicam is leading her over. Now, it’s just keeping pace with her as she makes the decision. What we understand in the moment is it’s the first real decision she's made all season. Which is, she's not going to fulfill the script she's been given, which is to take this train wherever it's going, and do whatever else she's programmed to do. She can get off the train. At which point, we shift to handheld camera, which we'd held back on throughout the entire season until one moment with her, and one moment with Dolores, when Teddy comes to rescue her. We get Maeve off the train with a handheld camera. And I remember watching the dailies and almost being shocked at how effective a cinematic technique can be if you hold off on it for long enough. If you dial it in at just the right moment, that suggests she's literally like a train coming off the tracks. We're no longer in programmatic or prescribed behaviors. She's improvising, and we're right there with her.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

It was more than a graze but he wasn't hit in the shoulder. The impact looked like it was in the upper arm.

Do you have me mixed up with someone else? I said arm, not shoulder.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The one thing I really cant get past in the finale was Logan riding off into the sunset. I mean, did he die? Did that kill him? Nobody from the park is around to rescue guests that wander to far? What the gently caress happened that allowed William to take over the company? It was just way too loose of an end there.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I am pleased he's confirming that Dolores made a choice, and that Robert Ford himself died on the stage. We don't have to spend the next two years wondering if it's another twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Vulture article posted:

The topic came up during a discussion about recurring shots and filming techniques in the first season: As Nolan explained, Steadicam shots indicate that hosts are doing what they've been told to do, but handheld shots indicate that they're acting on their own.

That's pretty boss

Edit: A bit later they mention that it's first used with Delores when Teddy comes to save her....so confronting the whole truth about William was when that happened for her.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread