Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

An unreliable eyewitness????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You got it backwards.

The guy who raised McKnight used to work for the sheriff's office.

pubic works project posted:

He did? I thought it was McKnight that had the connection to the sheriff's office. Wasn't he raised by someone that used to work for them?

Edit: Beaten like this white guy beating the manslaughter charge.

Ah ok

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah, I'd give a witness who just saw a horrible murder a little leeway in the story. Also the murderer has a violent history and the story his defense is telling is just dog-whistle after dog-whistle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Another hilarious indication of how terrible that Colts roster is :

from quick reads

That owns a lot

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

I was only referencing Louisiana stand your ground law, which is different than Florida, and Trayvon Martin.

I'm like 99% sure we have an actual criminal defense (or prosecutor) who posts here. I'll let him explain the likely reasons he's being charged with MS. I'm a contracts attorney.

From the point of view that you believe the eyewitness account, this looks egregious as poo poo. But I've seen, personally, a few cases that have looked horrible until you read the documents. If no one speaks up I'll pull the court docs, review, and give my opinion.

Appreciate it!

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

No eyewitness is completely reliable and stories change constantly, even when the person isn't lying. A story that never changes and is exactly the same every time is suspicious as gently caress and possibly a lie.

The eyewitness said Gasser stood over the man and shot him, when actually he shot him while sitting in the driver's seat, that is more than just unreliable

Edit gasser not normand

Lord Waffle Beard fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 6, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Doesn't Louisiana have a legal system that is somewhat different than most other states?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/806183177484169216

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I love my angry pirate coach

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Gonna need a picture

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Gonna need a picture

This is all that seems to exist at the moment

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fartknocker posted:

Related:

There were also others. :laugh:

Nobody could hate his own teams with such flair as Gendo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

shyduck posted:

This is all that seems to exist at the moment

Not as piratey as I hoped

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He's not even trying. At least wear it Carl Grimes style.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What sort of bland, empty person would waste potentially the only opportunity to go designer eye patch shopping!?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fact that he's only being charged with manslaughter is horseshit.

I forget where.. might have been GIP but some lawyer type explained that murder in most states has a ridiculous list of criteria to fill for the charge to stick and manslaughter doesnt.

But it's Louisiana so if you thought the police and legal system would do anything close to its job, then I don't know what to tell you. The entire state is a poo poo hole and its law enforcement cares more about harassing people who "ain't from round here" than doing their loving job. Katrina was the nicest thing that state deserved.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You know that Zimmerman being charged with Murder 2 instead of Manslaughter is why he got off, right?

Better to make sure the dude goes away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Genocide Tendency posted:

But it's Louisiana so if you thought the police and legal system would do anything close to its job, then I don't know what to tell you. The entire state is a poo poo hole and its law enforcement cares more about harassing people who "ain't from round here" than doing their loving job. Katrina was the nicest thing that state deserved.

Wasn't it Louisiana that was so cash strapped they couldn't pay for public defenders and people just flat out weren't getting a lawyer in some cases? Or maybe they were, they were just having to wait forever for trial?

One way or another there's some right that wasn't being upheld there if it's the state I'm thinking of.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Swickles, as usual, is right. Louisiana has Civil Law characteristics not Common Law

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Amy Pole Her posted:

Swickles, as usual, is right. Louisiana has Civil Law characteristics not Common Law

Louisiana always had common law criminal law from the purchase; the prior criminal tradition did not carry over.

...further the civil law differences have reduced over time and in my opinion at this point boil down to using funny different names for the same concepts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't it Louisiana that was so cash strapped they couldn't pay for public defenders and people just flat out weren't getting a lawyer in some cases? Or maybe they were, they were just having to wait forever for trial?

I think they were actually having to let people go free because they couldn't give them a speedy trial or a defense

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

ulmont posted:

Louisiana always had common law criminal law from the purchase; the prior criminal tradition did not carry over.

...further the civil law differences have reduced over time and in my opinion at this point boil down to using funny different names for the same concepts.

My one experience with Louisiana civil Law was a filing from an airplane crash and they rejected it because I don't qualify for a civil Law certificate. Again, I don't do criminal. I'm not saying Louisiana's civil Law code is why this isn't homicide... I'm just answering swickles questions.

I am happy to breakdown why this case (as I stated) IMO is not really stand your ground. I said same thing, citing the actual court docs, about Treyvon and was met with a lot of bs so... I'm still hesitant.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Grittybeard posted:

One way or another there's some right that wasn't being upheld there if it's the state I'm thinking of.

Quick Googling says Louisiana isn't the only state in the area with a public defender problem. Missouri's head of the public defender program came up with the best way to get the governor's attention to it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Quick Googling says Louisiana isn't the only state in the area with a public defender problem. Missouri's head of the public defender program came up with the best way to get the governor's attention to it.

no worries about that now, given that our new governor was a NAVY SEAL and not one of those pussy lawyers

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

My one experience with Louisiana civil Law was a filing from an airplane crash and they rejected it because I don't qualify for a civil Law certificate. Again, I don't do criminal. I'm not saying Louisiana's civil Law code is why this isn't homicide... I'm just answering swickles questions.

I am happy to breakdown why this case (as I stated) IMO is not really stand your ground. I said same thing, citing the actual court docs, about Treyvon and was met with a lot of bs so... I'm still hesitant.

Nobody should give you poo poo for trying to explain the cause so long as you're not also saying "and I'm glad of it" or something. I'd still be interested to hear your full take but it's cool if you don't need the added stress.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Blake Bortles has more career pick sixes than wins

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

So who's gonna be Coach of the Year? I'm thinking of Del Rio, Garrett (!), Belichick, Reid, Caldwell (!!!) and Mularkey (!!!!!) as the most likely.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Blake Bortles has more career pick sixes than wins

Could they be inversely related?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No real reason to give it to Belichick. They're doing normal Patriots things, should give it to Garrett or Caldwell or probably Del Rio in my opinion.

Per Aaron Schatz, the #1 team in DVOA is so low that there's only two years where the #3 team is lower then the current #1. Most years have at least 5 teams better then the #1 this year. Every single team with a good offense or good defense has a lousy other. Seattle's the closest to balanced, and their offense is average.

"Top 7 teams in offensive DVOA rank 19-28 in D. Top 7 teams in defensive DVOA rank 19-28 in O except Seattle (13th). "

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Caldwell never deserves to be Coach of the Year. At best, his teams win in spite of him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

No real reason to give it to Belichick. They're doing normal Patriots things, should give it to Garrett or Caldwell in my opinion.

There's an argument that I can buy that staying on top is really impressive and should be rewarded. Also navigating the Brady suspension at 3-1, depending on how they finish with the second most important player on the team going out for the year, there are/might be good reasons to vote for Belichick.

The way these things go it's between Del Rio and Garret unless either team just tanks the rest of the way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

There's an argument that I can buy that staying on top is really impressive and should be rewarded. Also navigating the Brady suspension at 3-1, depending on how they finish with the second most important player on the team going out for the year, there are/might be good reasons to vote for Belichick.

The way these things go it's between Del Rio and Garret unless either team just tanks the rest of the way.

I mean I agree, but Belichick just doesn't need it. Give it to one of the dudes who can use it to raise their stature / get a pay raise from it. Considering what's gonna happen to Oakland's cap or Garrett making a rookie QB work or Caldwell having insane 4th quarter luck/randomization come up in his favor, one of those guys should get it... and a pay raise.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Shangri-Law School posted:

So who's gonna be Coach of the Year? I'm thinking of Del Rio, Garrett (!), Belichick, Reid, Caldwell (!!!) and Mularkey (!!!!!) as the most likely.

Jeff Fisher for somehow blackmailing his way into an extension

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
6 of the Raiders 10 wins have been 4th quarter comebacks and Del Rio should have won CotY after that 2 point conversion to take the lead over the Saints in game 1

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Mike McCarthy when the Packers inevitably take the division.

I'm not scared

Real talk my guess is Del Rio. Maybe Caldwell if they take the second seed somehow, since apparently Fontes won it in 1991.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

blue squares posted:

this week has some poo poo matchups
Yeah. I feel that we have had more of these than last year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

When did Brady go out for the year?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

MrLogan posted:

When did Brady go out for the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Del Rio should get it. I hope he does.

• Locked thread