Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I know a lot of people dislike the voice-acted main character, but I absolutely love it. The voice acting and facial animations are great, and it gives the main character a lot of.. well, character. Just as long as you stick to the sarcastic option 100% of the time and be a lil' poo poo of course:dva:

It only adds a lot of character if you play the specific character Bethesda set up.

If you want to try and change it up and play someone else, it feels constraining and hamfisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

It only adds a lot of character if you play the specific character Bethesda set up.

If you want to try and change it up and play someone else, it feels constraining and hamfisted.

That's true, but at least they give you the option of playing three different characters ("good", "bad" and hilarious) :v:

I'm very aware that I lucked out though. The sarcastic options are just my humor for the most part so I actually feel like I can respond the way I want to in most situations. In the situations where I'm forced to pick a different option I can definitely see the flaw though, and I'm not trying to downplay that. Fallout 4 is the worst when it comes to "this is how we want you to play the game" but thankfully it's kept almost entirely to the main story. My favorite (least favorite?) example is the Kellogg encounter; I play as a stealthy sniper/pistol sort and value fashion over armor, so you can imagine how fun I think it is to be thrown into a forced fight where you're surrounded by higher level enemies with no way to speech, stealth or anything.yeah I reloaded the save and threw grenades after opening the door, it didn't feel fun or good They do this several times in the main story, and it's painfully obvious that they expect you to run&gun + facetank in a Power Armor suit (and I hate the Power Armor).

But in true Bethesda Game™ fashion the real meat of the game is all the side stuff you can do, and all the good storytelling is mostly environmental. I've spent 200 hours on Fallout 4 and I've yet to come close to finishing the main story even once, and despite hating the main story I would still say I love the game :3: The mod thread had an interesting mod called "Spare Railroad When Playing as Institute" which might lead me to actually finishing the story for the first time since with that I can at least roleplay that I'm changing the Institute from within!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The moment I met Kellogg, I said gently caress You and shot him with a mini-nuke.

Then I reloaded because a synth ran into the nuke in mid-air, and did it again, aiming to the left this time. :v:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

The moment I met Kellogg, I said gently caress You and shot him with a mini-nuke.

Then I reloaded because a synth ran into the nuke in mid-air, and did it again, aiming to the left this time. :v:

B-but... all that story content you're missing out on... all the good writing bethesda did to explain his reasoning and justification alongside the 2 seconds of regret he expresses before suggesting you kill each other.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When I went through Kellog's memories I was so put off I had to quit the game for a month, the same is happening right now with the new deus ex and some dumb computer chair. I thought we, as a species, were past long walking sections where I don't play my character.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

That's true, but at least they give you the option of playing three different characters ("good", "bad" and hilarious) :v:

Yeah but they only added bad with dlc

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Buschmaki posted:

When I went through Kellog's memories I was so put off I had to quit the game for a month, the same is happening right now with the new deus ex and some dumb computer chair. I thought we, as a species, were past long walking sections where I don't play my character.

You didn't get very far in that Deus Ex mission if you think it's a long walking section. It's more akin to the Dima's Memories section of Far Harbor but is much shorter and less frustrating.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Yeah but they only added bad with dlc

Yeah, I just started the Nuka World DLC and I already hate it. I go from hero of the wasteland to a Raider in Nuka World, all by running through a giant sewer level filled with traps? It's lovely and I lost interest already.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even stepped foot into the Nuka-World DLC yet but I heard about that and downloaded a mod for it because it sounded stupid :v:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

J-Spot posted:

You didn't get very far in that Deus Ex mission if you think it's a long walking section. It's more akin to the Dima's Memories section of Far Harbor but is much shorter and less frustrating.

Just did the DiMA bit last night. Thought it was interesting at least.

Worth it for the quest rewards and last holotape.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Buschmaki posted:

You can sprint through it and bypass all the scenes and exposition if you ever have to do that again :)

Your Computer posted:

I haven't even stepped foot into the Nuka-World DLC yet but I heard about that and downloaded a mod for it because it sounded stupid :v:

What mod did you get that could make the intro sequence better?

Hamlet442 posted:

Yeah, I just started the Nuka World DLC and I already hate it. I go from hero of the wasteland to a Raider in Nuka World, all by running through a giant sewer level filled with traps? It's lovely and I lost interest already.

Yeah it feels so super tacked on. The problem is that if you want to play a bad person baseline, most of the game makes 100% no sense. Most of the factions consider raiders KOS, FH factions do too and the stupidest thing is that you're still allowed to lead the minutemen, sworn protectors of the commonwealth :v:

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2016

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Except they don't give you those options. You have "good", "good", "good", or sarcastic "good".

You only change the flavor of that depending on which faction you support. All of them are "good". The only one that toes the line is siding with the Institute.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Except they don't give you those options. You have "good", "good", "good", or sarcastic "good".

You only change the flavor of that depending on which faction you support. All of them are "good". The only one that toes the line is siding with the Institute.

No, I meant as far as dialogue choices go. Like you'll get a question, a sarcastic reply, a goody-two-shoes reply and a rude and/or bad reply for pretty much every dialogue choice in the game.

As for factions, they all suck. The Brotherhood is the most comically evil if you ask me, but the Institute is probably the dumbest ("these synths behave as if they have free will, haha what a weird bug they are just machines. we is smart :downs:") It was the same with Skyrim, I didn't want to side with anyone because they were all loving awful.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ofaloaf posted:

I named my character Orgasmo and I have not regretted it.
Is that on Codsworth's list of names? :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Is that on Codsworth's list of names? :v:
It actually is.

Edit: So is Fuckface. I can't help but wonder what they told Stephen Russell he was recording.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 6, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Your Computer posted:

No, I meant as far as dialogue choices go. Like you'll get a question, a sarcastic reply, a goody-two-shoes reply and a rude and/or bad reply for pretty much every dialogue choice in the game.

But the "bad" reply isn't a bad reply is the thing, though. Sure, your character says something uncouth, but then the person you're talking to reacts as though you'd just said "Yes I love you and will absolutely help you out on your fetch quest!" So I mean sure technically you do get the option to say bad people things sometimes, but the responses to your lines are almost always the exact same line as though you'd picked the "good" option (never mind how shallow having good/bad/sarcastic/question is for a dialogue system anyway). If you're lucky, sometimes you get a single extra line of dialogue when you pick the "bad" option where the NPC says "how rude" or "lucky I'm gonna overlook that" and then says what they'd say if you chose the down arrow instead. There's literally no choice because all the paths lead to the same end state. You can tell people "No I won't do your lovely fetch quest" and they go "Oh okay well when you get around to it here it is for your quest log, thanks in advance."

Regarding your specific character, you mentioned you like the sarcastic options (really the only way to play). Have you tried being drunk when you talk to people? It changes a lot of the lines for when you greet people, when people talk to you, when you skip dialogues, etc. Very worthwhile, can't recommend it enough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Regarding your specific character, you mentioned you like the sarcastic options (really the only way to play). Have you tried being drunk when you talk to people? It changes a lot of the lines for when you greet people, when people talk to you, when you skip dialogues, etc. Very worthwhile, can't recommend it enough.

YES, it's the best thing ever :allears:

Also yeah, you're right. The choices only really matter from a personal roleplay perspective since the NPCs will handwave almost anything. With the sarcastic option you usually just get a ":rolleyes:", but of course that's the perfect response. Outside of speech checks (like when you get the option to lie to Virgil and say you didn't find the serum and tell him to kill himself) the choices are only ~*~flavor~*~ which is why sarcastic is always the right option, but it really does make me like my own character more.

Speaking of my characters, my newest character is ready to science the whole place to heck:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Floppychop posted:

The only one that toes the line is siding with the Institute.

Is there a mod to put a Dick Dastardly mustache on just about every Institute scientist? Because that's the brand of evil they're selling, even Nuka-world raiders look reasonable by comparison, aside from questionable fashion sense.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got to the Institute on my newest character and I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly came out of their socket at Shaun's "the people of the Commonwealth have nothing to fear from us, despite what you may have heard." Most of the Institute isn't so much evil as it's mindbogglingly dumb/naive/ignorant.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Raygereio posted:

It actually is.

Edit: So is Fuckface. I can't help but wonder what they told Stephen Russell he was recording.
The game may have it's problems but goddamn if this isn't like the best (sort of) hidden feature.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I find the list of names they allowed to be voiced by the game to be really annoying because there's a zillion variations on "shithead" and "rear end in a top hat", but Margaret, nope. Another goon of my acquaintance picked Vanessa and that wasn't on the list either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Allen Wren posted:

I find the list of names they allowed to be voiced by the game to be really annoying because there's a zillion variations on "shithead" and "rear end in a top hat", but Margaret, nope. Another goon of my acquaintance picked Vanessa and that wasn't on the list either.

They updated the name list a couple of times. Mine wasn't on there initially either, but is now.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Buschmaki posted:

I thought we, as a species, were past long walking sections where I don't play my character.

Get over this. You're not playing "Your Character" in these games. You're playing your versions of Adam Jenson/Commander Shepard whoever. There's a few different characters availible to them, but you're not going to be able to make them act wildly out of character and you should have known that going in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

They updated the name list a couple of times. Mine wasn't on there initially either, but is now.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Codsworth/recognized_names

Just checked it - Vanessa actually got on, but Margaret's still a no-go.

The list isn't as bad as I remember for joke names, but it's still annoying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just because the player is partially defined ala Jensen or Shepard doesn't mean that three yes options and a no (which is also a yes) is acceptable in FO4

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just because the player is partially defined ala Jensen or Shepard doesn't mean that three yes options and a no (which is also a yes) is acceptable in FO4

I can always forgive Bethesda games for being a bit more slapdash with their plotlines and quests because, as a company, they have always seemed to be more focussed on getting quite a large and complicated product that alot of poo poo could potentially go very wrong with out the door.

It'd be less understandable if they didn't reiterate the engine and make a whole new, large and detailed world with each game. That said, given this they've still improved on the plotlines consistently.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Kokoro Wish posted:

Get over this. You're not playing "Your Character" in these games. You're playing your versions of Adam Jenson/Commander Shepard whoever. There's a few different characters availible to them, but you're not going to be able to make them act wildly out of character and you should have known that going in.

I was thinking about this and it's actually kind of a bizarre recurring complaint because the list of games that actually let you play 'your character' without a solid backstory and actual meaningful characterization is pretty short. Off the top of my there's New Vegas, the first Fallout, Arcanum, and maybe Dragon Age Origins if you give a little leeway with having six different premade backgrounds instead of one. I mean, there's also something like the Elder Scrolls, but your character says so little and has such a dearth of characterization that it doesn't really qualify.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt the fallout 4 plot line was a regression from Skyrim. At least that game recognized it was open world and made the main plot laid back enough to encourage exploration.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'm complaining about these sections being bad gameplay sections dude, not that I can't accurately roleplay walking down a boring computer-generated corridor.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"Not playing my character," means that all previous gameplay systems have been abandoned and I'm just watching a cutscene that I have to physically move my character through to continue watching. It's like, a really dumb trend. And even if it were a roleplaying moment what aspect of the protagonist is silently watching another person's life story supposed to convey? It's not even specific to fallout, it seems like every game needs a microwave hallway scene now.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 7, 2016

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Which DLC (besides Point Harbor) ss the MUST HAVE DLC for this game? I love FO4 but I haven't really had much of a chance to play it this year and I would like to get back into it, but there is a lot of DLC and besides Point Harbor is any of it must buy?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Which DLC (besides Point Harbor) ss the MUST HAVE DLC for this game? I love FO4 but I haven't really had much of a chance to play it this year and I would like to get back into it, but there is a lot of DLC and besides Point Harbor is any of it must buy?

The most substantial DLCs besides Far Harbor are Automatron (introduces new enemies, new armor, special weapons, and the ability to make death robots of your own and at least one or two cool dungeons) and Nuka-World (bigass area to explore with cool new loot and the ability to be a nasty raider raiding settlements).

There aren't a lot of "dud" DLCs in this game though. In my opinion, anyway.

I like Wasteland Workshop because capturing monsters to use as meat farms or guards is fun, it's got good decorative stuff and it's got some nice quality of life improvements around bases, like radiation-cleaning arches and big power plants that provide 100 power. Vault-Tec DLC lets you build stuff that doesn't look like rear end and has some really cool useful things like terminals that let you keep track of where all your companions are. Contraptions is...full of junk that has not much PRACTICAL use in the game, but if you like just screwing around with physics, cannons, conveyor belts, and weird machines you can go nuts with that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

It'd be less understandable if they didn't reiterate the engine and make a whole new, large and detailed world with each game. That said, given this they've still improved on the plotlines consistently.
What??

Have we been playing the games by the same company here???

SalTheBard posted:

Just get the Season Pass, you get the two actual expansion packs and the minor DLC all bundled together.

It ain't poo poo compared to pretty much any other Bethesda game that's come before it but thems the breaks I suppose.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
While they are still poorly written, I think the Institute is trying to do it's best to save humanity. Humanity being the people of the Institute that is. I think they don't see surface dwellers as people at all anymore. Just mutants with perverted genes that need to eventually be wiped out. They couldn't even allow Kellogg to join them. He was just a tool to throw away. They barely accepted the John/Jane since she was slightly exposed to the surface. Some people of the Institute are literally disgusted by you. Shaun was a great way to throw some new pure DNA into the pool and I wonder how many grandkids you have at the institute(unless you murdered everyone!).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
One of the things I'm always rather thankful for is that Fallout entirely avoids/makes into fantasy the actual effects of radiation on humans.

Probably because while Brahmin are kinda icky but amusing, the same doesn't apply once it happens to humans. Even Ghouls are still just kinda intelligent zombies rather than the real result of radiation on human development.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

BobKnob posted:

While they are still poorly written, I think the Institute is trying to do it's best to save humanity. Humanity being the people of the Institute that is. I think they don't see surface dwellers as people at all anymore. Just mutants with perverted genes that need to eventually be wiped out.

Coincidently, that's exactly same as the Enclave from Fallout 2, including grabbing some vault dwellers from a sealed vault for experiments. C'mon Bethesda, if you're so unoriginal, could you at least recycle Fallout plots less blatantly?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

One of the things I'm always rather thankful for is that Fallout entirely avoids/makes into fantasy the actual effects of radiation on humans.

Probably because while Brahmin are kinda icky but amusing, the same doesn't apply once it happens to humans. Even Ghouls are still just kinda intelligent zombies rather than the real result of radiation on human development.

Fallout has a very problematic relationship with science in general. Apparently all radiation is ionizing radiation, they can't tell the difference between "irradiated" and "radioactive," etc. But on the whole I think fun trumps science here, gotta agree with you even if it does drive me a little crazy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

New Vegas: You can find a woman who wanted to become a ghoul at a nuclear test site, died of regular radiation poisoning.

Fallout 1 Necropolis: Ghoul community was the result of Vault Tec's local vault not closing properly, possibility that selected test subjects were intended to study prolonged effects of radiation poisoning on a controlled populace.

Fallout 3: Moira ghoulifies after surviving a nuke.

Fallout 4: Billy survives 200 years without aging in a fridge with no food and drip feeding off of radiation.
Fallout 4: Eddie Winter takes experimental radiation drug and locks himself in a bunker for 200 years to live as a ghoul.
Fallout 4: Hancock takes experimental radiation drug while on a bender and becomes a ghoul overnight.

New Vegas: Raul survives nuclear apocalypse as a teenager, becomes a ghoul over time, and by the 2280s, he has become crusty old Danny Trejo, actually aging.

The original Fallout and the games by Obsidian sort of suggest that becoming a ghoul is tied more to genetics than just being exposed to radiation. It also treats ghouls as still being people, who need to eat and drink to survive, while radiation just heals them. In Bethesda games, ghoulification is treated like magic space dust that stops you aging altogether and is an instantaneous transformation, and you can survive off of radiation alone.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I wouldn't mind the fridge or the eddie winter poo poo if it wasn't for 200 hundred years. It's a ridiculous amount of time for someone to be stuffed in a bunker, nevermind a fridge.

If Fallout 4 was set 5 years after the war, it would instantly become a lot more believable(in its own universe, of course).

Halser fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I mean, if you really wanted to, you could go for the horror element of an actual nuclear war scenario, where the people of the surface actually are mutant monsters rather than just apparently not knowing what soap or paint is. And like Arcsquad12 points out, ghouls are more like, a symptom of the wasteland where radiation is kinda involved, depending on developer.

The Hills have Eyes, Threads, The Day After and other things like that could offer that alternate vision and I can really easily imagine how someone would sit down and decide that the world really needed that sorta "Grimdark". (Remember when every second game that came out had to have a depressing ending and preferrably co-op? Gears of War, Resistance, Homefront, Deadspace et al)

I guess it was Bobknobs comment about the Institutes ideas that the surface dwellers were "mutants" that kinda got that going, because they very much aren't; they don't talk about the actual horrors that would follow that, the widespread miscarriages, developmental defects and other terrible possibilities.

Ehhh. I heard there was some mod that kinda goes into that but like I said, I quite like that fallout has always been more post-post apoc fiction than just plain post-apoc, though Bethesda always wants to act like the bombs only dropped yesterday because it makes for better lootin' gameplay, even though that might make more sense, as Halser points out.

• Locked thread