Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

although since you asked, someone with the bone structure of a male and the clothing of a female won the democratic congressional primary for CS and then pulled in a third of the vote in the general election, so
Oh wow, I had no idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Plowright
woops. new page. this is more an inspiring article than an unnerving one

here's a favorite creepy one of mine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

quote:

In 1936, William Dodd, the U.S. Ambassador to Germany, wrote a letter to President Roosevelt in which he stated,

"A clique of U.S. industrialists is hell-bent to bring a fascist state to supplant our democratic government and is working closely with the fascist regime in Germany and Italy. I have had plenty of opportunity in my post in Berlin to witness how close some of our American ruling families are to the Nazi regime. ... A prominent executive of one of the largest corporations, told me point blank that he would be ready to take definite action to bring fascism into America if President Roosevelt continued his progressive policies. Certain American industrialists had a great deal to do with bringing fascist regimes into being in both Germany and Italy. They extended aid to help Fascism occupy the seat of power, and they are helping to keep it there. Propagandists for fascist groups try to dismiss the fascist scare. We should be aware of the symptoms. When industrialists ignore laws designed for social and economic progress they will seek recourse to a fascist state when the institutions of our government compel them to comply with the provisions."

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

The upside of potentially hazardous squats is that you're at least not paying to be endangered. This place was less safe than many squats I've seen and yet the owner was charging $750 a month.
Holy poo poo, this is def showing Midwest privilege but that's more than my mortgage payment.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Colorado Springs, the Western center of the Evangelical Christian movement? I'm betting somebody with the bone structure of a biological male and the clothing of a female is going to be wildly popular there.

A lot of people died. Most of them, judging by the obits so far, weren't residents of this building. They were musicians, and artists, and people who'd gone there for a party. Explaining how you would have made different choices that meant you wouldn't have died .... well, congratulations. You're not dead. They are. Explaining why it's all their fault is a coward's way of defending themselves against the fear of death. Time and chance come to us all.
There are plenty of places they could live and be fine while be a transgender individual, but in general moving isn't an option for poor people period. Like anywhere regardless of their current lovely conditions.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

There's a thread in GBS if anyone wants to attempt debating or discussing this specific incident there.

Jane Maria Clouson was the alleged murder victim of Edmund Pook, the son of Jane's employer. Allegedly they had been having an affair and she became pregnant as a result.

Pretty Jane and The Viper of Kidbrooke Lane by Paul Thomas Murphy posted:

Several gashes were cloven into her skull. Her left cheek was slashed open and smashed in. Her right eye was destroyed, and above it a chunk of the temporal bone had been bashed out, leaving a hole form which her brain clearly protruded.

He last words, uttered to a police constable who found her, were "Oh, let me die.".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Plowright
woops. new page. this is more an inspiring article than an unnerving one
Huh the first two transgender nominees for congress were both named Misty, nifty.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
has anyone posted the oracle of trophonios? it's terrifying.

Pausanius posted:

Their is no fixed way down to the bottom of the cave, but when someone comes to Trophonios, they bring you a thin, light ladder. After climbing down you find a horizontal hole between the floor and the structure. The hole is about 25 centimetres wide, and 50 centimetres high. The descender lies with his back on the ground, holding barley-cakes kneaded with honey, pushes his feet into the hole, trying hard to get his knees into it. After his knees the rest of his body is immediately sucked in, just as a large quick-flowing river will catch a man in its eddy and suck him under.

After this those who have entered the shrine learn the future, not always in the same way, but sometimes they see something, sometimes they hear it. The return upwards is by the same hole, the feet sliding out first. After his ascent from Trophonios the inquirer is again taken by the priests, who sit him on a chair called the chair of Mnemosyne, not far from the shrine, and they ask him, when he's sitting there, all he has seen or learned. After gaining this information they then hand him over to his relatives. They lift him, paralysed with terror and unconscious both of himself and of his surroundings, and carry him to the building where he lodged before with Tykhe and the Daimon agathon.

After days of ritual bathing and sacrifice, you climb into a pitch-dark cave. Something drags you into a crevice and whispers oracular visions to you. then you're spat back out, also feet first; the horror of the experience is such that most don't remember what they were told in the cave.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This is such a weird argument. None of this has to do with marginalized people or poverty. Dude was running a venue where artists and musicians came to party and engage in their craft. If you're running a venue for DJ's and artists that is going to draw a crowd you have the bare minimum responsibility of making sure the place is safe for people to be in. This guy didn't give a gently caress and hides it within a veneer of "bohemian lifestyle" all the while constructing a space that will kill you if something goes wrong while you're inside of it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Colorado Springs, the Western center of the Evangelical Christian movement? I'm betting somebody with the bone structure of a biological male and the clothing of a female is going to be wildly popular there.

A lot of people died. Most of them, judging by the obits so far, weren't residents of this building. They were musicians, and artists, and people who'd gone there for a party. Explaining how you would have made different choices that meant you wouldn't have died .... well, congratulations. You're not dead. They are. Explaining why it's all their fault is a coward's way of defending themselves against the fear of death. Time and chance come to us all.

FAAAAAART. Fart.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

There's a thread in GBS if anyone wants to attempt debating or discussing this specific incident there.

Jane Maria Clouson was the alleged murder victim of Edmund Pook, the son of Jane's employer. Allegedly they had been having an affair and she became pregnant as a result.

He last words, uttered to a police constable who found her, were "Oh, let me die.".

Grace Brown probably went easier than poor Jane, but she's who I thought of immediately when you posted. Here's her Wikipedia page , but you may be familiar with her story from either reading Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy or the film A Place In The Sun.

Anyway, Grace was pregnant and the father of the baby, Chester, got her to pack up all her stuff and go on a trip with him. He took her out canoeing, clubbed her on the head with a tennis racket, and pushed her into the water. She drowned. It's unclear whether she thought they were eloping, or if he was dropping her off at a home for unwed mothers. Either way he only packed a very small suitcase.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Holy poo poo, this is def showing Midwest privilege but that's more than my mortgage payment.

There are plenty of places they could live and be fine while be a transgender individual, but in general moving isn't an option for poor people period. Like anywhere regardless of their current lovely conditions.
That's a much better point than the one I made. Also, the news about Misty Plowright is cool, and I was stereotyping Colorado Springs inappropriately.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You can get a studio apartment in Chicago for $750 in a pretty decent area and last I checked there's artists and raves and whatever else you're into all over the place here. Not to mention a thriving and accepted LGBT community.

Move to Chicago West Coast artists!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Can we please assume that people live in the cities they live in for a reason? 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. Moving across the street takes more than that, much less moving across the country. A lot of people in the Bay Area don't even own a car.

Seriously this ”Why don't they just move hundreds of miles away?" poo poo is some loving "Let them eat cake!" bullshit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
labor mobility is a myth

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Imagined posted:

Can we please assume that people live in the cities they live in for a reason? 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. Moving across the street takes more than that, much less moving across the country. A lot of people in the Bay Area don't even own a car.

Seriously this ”Why don't they just move hundreds of miles away?" poo poo is some loving "Let them eat cake!" bullshit.

The blame for this also lies with the victims

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Imagined posted:

I've picked up and moved almost 2000 miles like 3 times in my adult life and had way less than $1000 to my name for all but one time. Where there's a will there's a way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are network effects here. If I'm poor in my established community, then if I can't make the rent or have to have a doctor's appointment or have another emergency, my friends can scrape up the money to help me get by. If I move to another community and have a catastrophe, nobody knows me and it's a lot harder to survive. In my established community, I know where to get art supplies or food or clothing cheap, or I know somebody who knows. In my new community, it will take me a couple of months to develop those resources. If I have a mental health crisis in my established community, there will be people I can crash with who will be sympathetic and do their best to help me through it. In a new community, I'm just that weirdo.

"Pick up and move" works a lot better if you aren't already running on rims.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've picked up and moved almost 2000 miles like 3 times in my adult life and had way less than $1000 to my name for all but one time. Where there's a will there's a way.

I don't know a lot about you or your life or even the general quality of your posts but "where there's a will there's a way" is a pretty terrible and ignorant thing to say 90% of the time in relation to poor people.

That said I agree that this whole art commune thing didn't seem that savior-y as much as it was a bunch of dumbasses living a delusional fantasy of being poor put upon artists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its also not easy in a lot of places to qualify for even cheap apartments if you have no real rental history or consistent employment for the past 2-3 years. If someone's been paying some slumlord rent in cash for years and making money from selling art work, that's another big obstacle to moving to another city. You need a job to step into right away or someone to stay with for at least a few months(probably more)while you find one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

I don't know a lot about you or your life or even the general quality of your posts but "where there's a will there's a way" is a pretty terrible and ignorant thing to say 90% of the time in relation to poor people.

I was desperately poor for a long time. Like break into homes to steal food from their fridge so I can eat poor. So gently caress off and you're full of poo poo. There's nothing special about me except that I actually did something about my situation. I've buried a bunch of my friends because of drugs, murder, etc and the only difference between me and them is that I picked up and left the situation with nothing to my name and they continued living in the punk squat slamming hundreds of dollars of drugs into their veins a month instead of saving the money and fixing their situation.

Sorry, for coming off as an rear end, but having actually gone through it and come out the other end and being successful and losing so many friends my empathy for people that just accept victimhood is super loving low. I understand how you get into those situations, but I also know there's ways out. You know, because I went through it myself so its not just a thought experiment for me. Sorry again. Its just sometimes this poo poo kinda strikes a chord for me.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was desperately poor for a long time. Like break into homes to steal food from their fridge so I can eat poor. So gently caress off and you're full of poo poo. There's nothing special about me except that I actually did something about my situation. I've buried a bunch of my friends because of drugs, murder, etc and the only difference between me and them is that I picked up and left the situation with nothing to my name and they continued living in the punk squat slamming hundreds of dollars of drugs into their veins a month instead of saving the money and fixing their situation.

Sorry, for coming off as an rear end, but having actually gone through it and come out the other end and being successful and losing so many friends my empathy for people that just accept victimhood is super loving low. I understand how you get into those situations, but I also know there's ways out. You know, because I went through it myself so its not just a thought experiment for me. Sorry again. Its just sometimes this poo poo kinda strikes a chord for me.

Holy poo poo what is with this post. Are you seriously blaming people for being stuck in the exact horrific situation you barely managed to escape?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The rare Bootstraps post, sighted in the wild.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I kinda wish you never made it tbh

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've buried a bunch of my friends because of drugs,

Were they dead at the time or do you just like burying people?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, ok guys. You're right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

slinkimalinki posted:

Were they dead at the time or do you just like burying people?

The thing is, Josh, that a man needs to bury something sometimes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

did all of your dead friends deserve it?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A lovely Reporter posted:

Holy poo poo what is with this post. Are you seriously blaming people for being stuck in the exact horrific situation you barely managed to escape?

Odds on them being at least two of the following: cis, straight, white, male?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
:yikes:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This are a good thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Never said anyone deserved anything just that there is always a choice. I'm probably way more likely to help someone in a terrible situation because of my past than most other people. But I'll leave the thread for awhile so it can get back on track. Sorry for the derail.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

They're in a better place (away from that post)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The unnerving is coming from inside the thread!

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree, thanks for sharing your insight.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
pisssssss

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

When the offending OP says the derail is over, it's over.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pull up thread pull up!!

Leopold and Loeb were two wealthy students at the University of Chicago who in May 1924 kidnapped and murdered 14-year-old Robert Franks in Chicago. They committed the murder—widely characterized at the time as "the crime of the century"—as a demonstration of their perceived intellectual superiority, which, they thought, rendered them capable of carrying out a "perfect crime", and absolved them of responsibility for their actions.

After a lengthy search for a suitable victim, mostly on the grounds of Harvard School For Boys in the Kenwood area,[16] where Loeb had been educated, they decided upon Robert "Bobby" Franks, the 14-year-old son of wealthy Chicago watch manufacturer Jacob Franks. The precise sequence of the events that followed remains in dispute, but a preponderance of opinion placed Leopold behind the wheel of the car, while Loeb sat in the back seat with the chisel. Loeb struck Franks, sitting in front of him in the passenger seat, several times in the head with the chisel, then dragged him into the back seat, where he was gagged and soon died.

With the body on the floorboard out of view, they drove to their predetermined dumping spot near Wolf Lake in Hammond, Indiana, 25 miles (40 km) south of Chicago. After nightfall they removed and discarded Franks' clothes, then concealed the body in a culvert along the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks north of the lake. To obscure the body's identification they poured hydrochloric acid on the face, and on a distinctive abdominal scar, as well as the genitals (to conceal the fact that he was circumcised).

Both admitted that they were driven by the thrill of the kill, their Übermensch delusions, and their aspiration to commit a "perfect crime".] Leopold, at least, considered the incident an intellectual exercise. "The killing was an experiment," he told his attorney. "It is just as easy to justify such a death as it is to justify an entomologist killing a beetle on a pin."

What jerks! But wait, there's another jerk!

Celeste Beard murdered her millionaire husband, Beard Johnson. On October 2, 1999, Beard was shot in the stomach while he was asleep. The wound became infected, and he died on January 21, 2000. Local police tied the shooting to Johnson's friend, Tracey Tarlton. The women had met in Saint David’s Pavilion, a mental-health facility, after Johnson threatened to commit suicide when she and Beard began fighting over her lavish spending. Tarlton, arrested at home six days after the shooting, was charged with assault. The police began to hear that Johnson had spoken negatively about Beard. She refused to let them interview him while he was hospitalized; her behavior was oddly casual after his death, and she had slept in a different room the night he was shot.

Despite mounting suspicion of Johnson and Tarlton's romantic feelings for her, Tarlton remained silent until July 2000, when she read in a local newspaper that Johnson had remarried after Beard’s death. Realizing that their relationship was a sham and none of what Johnson told her about her marriage was true, Tarlton told police shortly before her murder trial began in March 2002 that Johnson had persuaded her to shoot Beard; Johnson claimed that Beard had emotionally abused her to the point of suicide, and getting rid of him was the only way the women could be together

And something somewhat heart warming? The Bluebell ship was chartered by 41-year-old optometrist Dr. Arthur Duperrault of Green Bay, Wisconsin, for a trip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to the Bahamas, departing November 8, 1961. Late one night on the return voyage, the captain, decorated 44-year-old former World War II and Korean War pilot Julian Harvey, reportedly killed his 34-year-old sixth wife Mary Dene (whom he had married in July)[3] and four members of the Duperrault family – Dr. Duperrault; his 38-year-old wife Jean; and two of their children, 14-year-old Brian and 7-year-old Renee – leaving alive only 11-year-old Terry Jo Duperrault asleep below in a sleeping compartment. ... As the ship filled with water, Terry Jo was able to avoid the captain and untie a 2' × 5' (0.6 × 1.5 m) cork float and launch herself onto it just as the ship fell into the depths. The young girl drifted for four days without food or water. She was near death when rescued in the Northwest Providence Channel by the Greek freighter Captain Theo.

Harvey had been picked up three days earlier in the dinghy along with the dead body of Renee. He told United States Coast Guard investigators that a squall had brought down the Bluebelle's masts, holing the ship's hull, rupturing the auxiliary gas tank, and starting a fire. He claimed that he found Renee floating face down in the water and tried unsuccessfully to revive her. (An autopsy showed that she had died of drowning.) However, after Harvey was informed of Terry Jo's rescue, he left the hearing, checked in to a motel under an assumed name, and committed suicide by cutting his body very deeply in many places with a razor blade.

It is believed Harvey planned to kill his wife quietly at night to collect on her $20,000 double indemnity insurance policy, but he was observed by Dr. Duperrault, who was killed when he attempted to intervene. Harvey then killed the remaining witnesses, except for Terry Jo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pull up thread pull up!!

Leopold and Loeb were two wealthy students at the University of Chicago who in May 1924 kidnapped and murdered 14-year-old Robert Franks in Chicago. They committed the murder—widely characterized at the time as "the crime of the century"—as a demonstration of their perceived intellectual superiority, which, they thought, rendered them capable of carrying out a "perfect crime", and absolved them of responsibility for their actions.

It's unnerving how terrible they were at covering their tracks considering how smug they were about being super smart

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Celeste Beard murdered her millionaire husband, Beard Johnson. On October 2, 1999, Beard was shot in the stomach while he was asleep. The wound became infected, and he died on January 21, 2000. Local police tied the shooting to Johnson's friend, Tracey Tarlton. The women had met in Saint David’s Pavilion, a mental-health facility, after Johnson threatened to commit suicide when she and Beard began fighting over her lavish spending. Tarlton, arrested at home six days after the shooting, was charged with assault. The police began to hear that Johnson had spoken negatively about Beard. She refused to let them interview him while he was hospitalized; her behavior was oddly casual after his death, and she had slept in a different room the night he was shot.

Despite mounting suspicion of Johnson and Tarlton's romantic feelings for her, Tarlton remained silent until July 2000, when she read in a local newspaper that Johnson had remarried after Beard’s death. Realizing that their relationship was a sham and none of what Johnson told her about her marriage was true, Tarlton told police shortly before her murder trial began in March 2002 that Johnson had persuaded her to shoot Beard; Johnson claimed that Beard had emotionally abused her to the point of suicide, and getting rid of him was the only way the women could be together

Uh pretty sure Beard Johnson is Celeste's full last name, and you meant Steven Beard here. Admittedly that makes the story a bit more bland.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If only he had taken her last name at marriage, Beard Beard would've been a force to be reckoned with.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

grancheater posted:

Uh pretty sure Beard Johnson is Celeste's full last name, and you meant Steven Beard here. Admittedly that makes the story a bit more bland.

OK, now the story actually makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Thanks for always being a stablizing force in this thread, chum.