Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Hey, everyone loved it so much when Apple did it with the iPhone 7!
The only part Samsung took in

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have no problem with USB-C headphones, but I do have a problem with having to carry around a dongle if I want to charge and listen to headphones at the same time :(
If only there were some way to charge your phone, with no wires at all, thus leaving the USB-C port available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If anyone remembers the old Windows Mobile, HTC did all of this poo poo years ago with their Touch Pro and etc. USB headphones, splitter dongles to charge and listen at the same time. iPhones and Androids killed it (besides better spec and OS) by just including a reasonable headphone jack.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

The Merkinman posted:

The only part Samsung took in

If only there were some way to charge your phone, with no wires at all, thus leaving the USB-C port available.

So now I need a wireless charging base in my car? In the library? Nah dude, ain't gonna happen for a while. I can live with 2 wires hanging out of my phone, where I can still move it around. And if Android didn't suck at Bluetooth/battery drain, that may have been a valid solution (wireless headphones).

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 6, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

If anyone remembers the old Windows Mobile, HTC did all of this poo poo years ago with their Touch Pro and etc. USB headphones, splitter dongles to charge and listen at the same time. iPhones and Androids killed it (besides better spec and OS) by just including a reasonable headphone jack.

Not initially, actually. Go look at the HTC G1 :) I don't think I ever once listened to music on it, though the headphone dongle was not the main reason, of course.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Not initially, actually. Go look at the HTC G1 :) I don't think I ever once listened to music on it, though the headphone dongle was not the main reason, of course.

Ooof, that original music player.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just use Bluetooth headphones??

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't want to have to continually charge my headphones, or make sure they are charged before I go out, or be unable to leave a pair in a jacket pocket or backpack all the time, etc.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I think removing the headphone jack is dumb, but to be honest, I've literally never charged any of my phones and listened to music used the headphone jack on them at the same time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Bluetooth headphones don't come anywhere close to the same sound quality as a good wired set at similar prices. As someone who listens to a poo poo ton of music to help deal with migraines, this matters a lot.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Mogomra posted:

I think removing the headphone jack is dumb, but to be honest, I've literally never charged any of my phones and listened to music used the headphone jack on them at the same time.

I simultaneously stream music over LTE and charge my phone at the same time, mostly when I'm playing it through my car speakers. Even though I have a $12 Bluetooth adapter to turn my AUX port into a Bluetooth port, it's much simpler to hop in the car, plug both wires in, and drive away. Saves a lot of battery by not enabling Bluebooth, as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I do this all the time when traveling which is semi regular for me. On a plane or train, for example, I'll listen to music and charge my phone so it's full before I arrive wherever. It would really suck to have to carry a dongle for this.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone remembers when the GBA SP took out the headphone jack, right? That was some poo poo.

Also is there a dongle/hub that can charge a phone/tablet at the same time as acting as a hub?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there anything cool to check out on Daydream that you couldn't do with cardboard?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Any time you change a standard, there's bound to be some headaches, but the niceties it provides in making it easier to waterproof, being able to power noise cancelling headphones sans batteries, enable lower-latency digital audio, etc. will eventually make up for the period of headaches. I get why people dislike it, 'cause it'll force some people to change their habits for what may not be immediately apparent benefits, but it's ultimately a good thing.

e: Ideally quick charging, wireless charging, and increased battery life will mitigate some of the negatives. I don't often use the headphone jack on my phone, but I know I could stream music over WiFi on my Pixel XL for a majority of my work day and still be fine, maybe needing a quick 15-20 minute charge if it's going to be a long night.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there anything cool to check out on Daydream that you couldn't do with cardboard?

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sleepwalkers posted:

Any time you change a standard, there's bound to be some headaches, but the niceties it provides in making it easier to waterproof, being able to power noise cancelling headphones sans batteries, enable lower-latency digital audio, etc. will eventually make up for the period of headaches. I get why people dislike it, 'cause it'll force some people to change their habits for what may not be immediately apparent benefits, but it's ultimately a good thing.

e: Ideally quick charging, wireless charging, and increased battery life will mitigate some of the negatives. I don't often use the headphone jack on my phone, but I know I could stream music over WiFi on my Pixel XL for a majority of my work day and still be fine, maybe needing a quick 15-20 minute charge if it's going to be a long night.

What the hell is your use case that this is a worthwhile trade-off for anything at all?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Wonder how much more the lack of headphone jack will push people toward the Pixel.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What the hell is your use case that this is a worthwhile trade-off for anything at all?

... Being courageous.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Something something courage something something blogosphere user engagement; 2017phone is half a millimetre thinner than 2016phone, therefore management is eligible for the 'met written 'make phone thinner' objective' bonus; the dongles and house fires are somebody else's problem, I don't give a gently caress :homebrew:; gently caress you you're going to buy it anyway.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Hi, I'm not sure where I said I was talking about my use case specifically, but I'm gonna guess anyone involved in content creation would appreciate low-latency audio.
I mean, if you're wondering what it does to my use case, it probably provides more of a benefit than any headphone jack on a phone has provided me. I rarely use it, so if it'll give me a slightly bigger battery, a better speaker, better resistance to the elements, whatever, I'm fine without. Only time I really use one is on an airplane, and at that point, give me USB-C noise cancelling headphones 'cause I'd rather not have to worry about batteries.

e: My point is more that people assuming it's just about loving over the consumer or whatever are being a touch dramatic. I clearly acknowledged it's a headache and it's obviously fine for people to dislike that it's going to force them to change, but ultimately it's space that can be used for other things that can/will provide a benefit to a lot of users.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 6, 2016

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with this company taking away a common, multi-platform standard for listening to their safe, won't-randomly-burst-into-flames mobile devices, because I can do so knowing that Android's track record with Bluetooth devices, and the necessity of another hungry battery to top-up, is nevertheless absolutely superior in every conceivable way to their wired counterparts that we have already.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Motorola and Apple already got rid of it, now Samsung, my guess is the next Pixel won't have a headphone jack either. If I were to bet, I'd say LG is the most likely to release a phone next year with both a removable battery and a headphone jack for those that absolutely must have it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any concerns with using google now launcher on op3t vs the op launcher?

Also I hear op3/t will get nought soon, neat

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

My used Nexus 6P I just bought has a serious speaker imbalance issue, where the top / left speaker does about 90% of the work and the bottom / right speaker barely mumbles anything out. Even if I put the right speaker up to my ear the left one still seems to completely overpower it. Looking online it seems like this is a somewhat common complaint but not as severe as I'm experiencing.

Anyone know if it's possible / worth it to attempt any sort of RMA / warranty claims on a used, nearly year-old phone or if I should just send it back to the seller or I don't really even know what all my options are here!

Edit: Also it seems like there are software solutions but they are somewhat hacky - lowering the top speaker to compensate would end up with just a whisper of output, while increasing the gain past defaults makes me concerned I might hurt something. Also half these things require rooting and dumping random files from XDA or whatever into dark corners of my phone and like taking a hacksaw to my SIM card, I really don't trust myself (or the method here) to not gently caress something up down the road.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 6, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

My used Nexus 6P I just bought has a serious speaker imbalance issue, where the top / left speaker does about 90% of the work and the bottom / right speaker barely mumbles anything out. Even if I put the right speaker up to my ear the left one still seems to completely overpower it. Looking online it seems like this is a somewhat common complaint but not as severe as I'm experiencing.

Anyone know if it's possible / worth it to attempt any sort of RMA / warranty claims on a used, nearly year-old phone or if I should just send it back to the seller or I don't really even know what all my options are here!

Edit: Also it seems like there are software solutions but they are somewhat hacky - lowering the top speaker to compensate would end up with just a whisper of output, while increasing the gain past defaults makes me concerned I might hurt something. Also half these things require rooting and dumping random files from XDA or whatever into dark corners of my phone and like taking a hacksaw to my SIM card, I really don't trust myself (or the method here) to not gently caress something up down the road.

If it's under a year old, you could try contacting Google and see if they will cover it (if it was bought from there) or Huawei if Google won't help.

As for the Software fixes, if you can get an RMA setup, might as well give them a try which would require Root, or Root + FlashFire app to flash a kernel or other audio controls to adjust the speaker gain and see if that somehow helps or not. However if it is just a bad speaker, then you either need an RMA, Return it to the guy, or get a heat gun and open it to replace it yourself.

Really the hardest part about getting into this stupid phone is the stuck on covers, once you get past those its rather easy to access anything inside that could need replacing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stan Taylor posted:

You can use a remote.

I wonder if Wii emulation could use it, now that I think about it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I got 7.1.1 on my 6P (in Canada no less!). Not really seeing a difference thus far. Things are a little faster, but it might just be because of the reboot.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Given the current state of USB C peripherals, I wouldn't trust a charger + headphone dongle to not send 3 amps through the headphones instead of to the battery.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

^You can use pretty much any other Android phone as a remote as well.

Scaramouche posted:

So I got 7.1.1 on my 6P (in Canada no less!). Not really seeing a difference thus far. Things are a little faster, but it might just be because of the reboot.

They did some wizardry to improve touch input response as well so there are a few performance tweaks added even on top of 7.1.0.

Also on a Nexus, check out the settings menu, you now have the Support tab at the top as well to contact Google directly which is helpful. That was originally a Pixel only feature. (making a 6P into a true Pixel XL clone however is easy a hell too, even getting the Unlimited Original Picture Upload deal).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sleepwalkers posted:

Hi, I'm not sure where I said I was talking about my use case specifically, but I'm gonna guess anyone involved in content creation would appreciate low-latency audio.
I mean, if you're wondering what it does to my use case, it probably provides more of a benefit than any headphone jack on a phone has provided me. I rarely use it, so if it'll give me a slightly bigger battery, a better speaker, better resistance to the elements, whatever, I'm fine without. Only time I really use one is on an airplane, and at that point, give me USB-C noise cancelling headphones 'cause I'd rather not have to worry about batteries.

e: My point is more that people assuming it's just about loving over the consumer or whatever are being a touch dramatic. I clearly acknowledged it's a headache and it's obviously fine for people to dislike that it's going to force them to change, but ultimately it's space that can be used for other things that can/will provide a benefit to a lot of users.

Any improvement in battery capacity will come at the expense of much higher battery drain because of Bluetooth usage. You can also already get NC headphones with built in power packs so that's a pretty stupid argument as well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Motorola and Apple already got rid of it, now Samsung, my guess is the next Pixel won't have a headphone jack either. If I were to bet, I'd say LG is the most likely to release a phone next year with both a removable battery and a headphone jack for those that absolutely must have it.

I hope that whoever releases the next flagship after this hypothetical headphone jackless G8 proudly advertises that it's the one with the headphone jack, from the people who don't make exploding phones. Samsung hasn't lost nearly enough business over their last debacle and deserves to get doubled down on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The headphone jack was a decent, license free, and open software way to interact with external hardware.

Requiring hardware access via USB-C or a proprietary connection like lightening significantly increases the complexity in developing an external hardware add-on for low bandwidth use cases.

I'm also looking forward to shorting out my headphones or phone due to USB-C standard fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Everyone remembers when the GBA SP took out the headphone jack, right? That was some poo poo.

Also is there a dongle/hub that can charge a phone/tablet at the same time as acting as a hub?

The SP's sound chip was categorically inferior to the SNES', and had a constant, just-audible hiss to it. Headphones would be the worst thing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

What of that actually requires losing a headphone jack though? Phones have been water proofed with a headphone jack, and while maybe that made them a couple bucks more expensive, it isn't like Samsung would sell their S8 for 5 bucks less than the S7 because of it. Is the powering headphones because they'd draw power from the phone? Why not make those that plug into the USB-C anyway, whether there's a headphone jack or not? Similarly, if low latency audio is somehow better over USB than headphone jack, that's an option you have now already.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

lol, Samsung is doing it because Apple did it. It's that simple. There may be benefits and there may be drawbacks, but they did not factor into the decision.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

What of that actually requires losing a headphone jack though? Phones have been water proofed with a headphone jack, and while maybe that made them a couple bucks more expensive, it isn't like Samsung would sell their S8 for 5 bucks less than the S7 because of it. Is the powering headphones because they'd draw power from the phone? Why not make those that plug into the USB-C anyway, whether there's a headphone jack or not? Similarly, if low latency audio is somehow better over USB than headphone jack, that's an option you have now already.

Re: headphones, there aren't many USB-C phones out in the wild, and vice versa, there likely weren't many (any?) Lightning headphones before the iPhone 7 ditched the headphone jack. People think of that port on the bottom of their phone as the charging one, not the peripheral one. Re: waterproofing, yeah, I'm just saying one less hole to waterproof means one less point of failure, means it's easier. The part where you can fit other hardware improvements, a larger battery, better speaker, etc. in that spot if you force users to move is what requires losing a headphone jack.

grack posted:

Any improvement in battery capacity will come at the expense of much higher battery drain because of Bluetooth usage. You can also already get NC headphones with built in power packs so that's a pretty stupid argument as well.

Lack of headphone jack gives you the ability to accommodate a larger battery (the iPhone 7 has a ~14% higher capacity battery due in part to that). The point of using USB-C to power NC headphones is not needing a battery pack. Rough math suggests Bluetooth audio uses something like ~1% more battery an hour on an iPhone, so if that's a significant enough increase, that's fine. It's fine to be bothered by it, everyone has different use cases that they'd have to adjust if they didn't have a headphone jack anymore and that will cause headaches, I just think people are missing the simple quality-of-life stuff on the other side of that adjustment.

RZA Encryption posted:

lol, Samsung is doing it because Apple did it. It's that simple. There may be benefits and there may be drawbacks, but they did not factor into the decision.
Also this. Samsung is doomed to ape everything Apple does in the most tone deaf way.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 7, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would never buy a phone without a headphone jack. Not like I was in danger of buying an S8 anyway. I can't imagine you'd give up the jack if you liked music and had ever used a good pair of headphones. Bluetooth just doesn't cut it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

While this speaks volumes about how stupid Samsung is, it says a lot more about how dumb you'd have to be to buy a Samsung.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bluetooth headphones are fine to use to listen to music if you're not an rear end in a top hat. With that said i don't want the choice forced on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

After going Pixel I doubt I'll go back to Samsung unless their next device is some sort of world changer. Having a phone with significantly less bloat and getting updates direct from the source is just something I'm no longer willing to deal with.

I don't need 15 S Apps running at all times

Hopefully googz will keep the headphone jack just to be different than the current wave of jack denialists