Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think part of the problem is that all the developers are targeting the established sim nerd crowd. They act like putting a green line on the road that turns red when you should brake is all you need to learn racing.

Makes some sense, it's not a market that is ever going to draw huge numbers so they might as well go after the group they know exists.

Someone should try to do it, I just don't see it happening soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

xzzy posted:

I think part of the problem is that all the developers are targeting the established sim nerd crowd. They act like putting a green line on the road that turns red when you should brake is all you need to learn racing.

Makes some sense, it's not a market that is ever going to draw huge numbers so they might as well go after the group they know exists.

Someone should try to do it, I just don't see it happening soon.

Last night by the time that line turned red I was already about to rear-end the AI driver in front of me so that didn't help much

The lack of awareness and number of collisions I had yesterday imply that I have zero business in a car IRL :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ciaphas posted:

I think part of the reason I don't play sim racing games often is I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Picked up project CARS yesterday because it has Vive support, and that was all nice and neat and immersive but oh my god actually driving is a nightmare even with the game doing the shifting for me.

Don't think I finished a single lap of a track in an hour :v:

Project Cars is not a good sim. That also doesn't help.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I had the distinct impression that to a hopeless neophyte like myself it might as well not matter, so I just picked the first one that I saw that supported the Vive :v:

(the look-mouse menu control is rather nice, incidentally. drat sight better than reaching out and tapping/aiming at buttons with the wand, I can say that)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The racing line in project cars isn't as useful when there are other cars, just keep a bit of distance and pass when it's clear. Useful when you are solo or in first, though don't let it draw you focus to much. It gets easier to handle as you get more experience.

Now the racing line in Assetto Corsa is worthless. It's not dynamic at all and the brake coloring is generic, so different cars may need more or less. Plus the cars really need the tires warmed up, so going to fast in the first couple laps or wrecking (thus losing heat) is a bad idea.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Once the settings are dialed in Project CARS is awesome. It's just a pain to set up. I wish the modding community had got into it but it hasn't. My problem with it is that it just doesn't have enough street cars.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 6, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is fine. Every sim comes with major caveats. Except for Dirt Rally. That's perfect but lacking courses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wanted to get Dirt Rally because gently caress yeah dirt rallies, but didn't see Vive support :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The racing line in most Sims is garbage tbh. One of the worst habits I broke myself of was not using those stupid things.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Dirt Rally also does not properly support triple screens, which sucks because you are looking out of them a lot.

Also the Caterhams in Automobilista are kickass, and Formula Trucks are next to impossible but are a lot of fun to drive... partially because they are so impossible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

The racing line in most Sims is garbage tbh. One of the worst habits I broke myself of was not using those stupid things.

Unfortunately there's no real resources out there for figuring out what the line might actually be. You just gotta grind that poo poo out for an hour to learn the bends and if you want to get really serious about it race ghosts of people faster than you (but in games that allow tuning, that assumes you can even drive the same car).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately there's no real resources out there for figuring out what the line might actually be. You just gotta grind that poo poo out for an hour to learn the bends and if you want to get really serious about it race ghosts of people faster than you (but in games that allow tuning, that assumes you can even drive the same car).

Grind poo poo for an hour is a bit of an exaggeration, once you're familiar with different types of corners and a car and what it can do you can learn a pretty solid line round a track in about 10 minutes. The rest of the hour is just gonna be refinement and getting fast, and you can do those laps in actual races while having actual fun rather than just hotlapping.

Or just turn the track map on.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 6, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Norns posted:

I've always preferred the flashing suggested gear indicator from Gran Turismo or the turn indicators that look kind of like the pace notes in rally racing games (I think GTR had this?). It's kind of disappointing to me that drawing a red line on the track became the preferred way for racing games to tell you when you're about to smash into a wall because they're really distracting to me but I'm bad at remembering where all the turns are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What tracks do you guys tend to gravitate to when trying out a new car anyway?

My go to is always the nordschleife. I loving love it in anything it's available in.

My clock in AC is well over 200 hours on that track alone. Every new car in iracing gets a thrashing around it too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Spa, Nurburg whatever sprint, Laguna Seca, Silverstone. Anything with a nice variety of turns plus long straights for speeeed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I picked up the Porsche packs for AC on a whim to relieve stress during finals.

Holy poo poo. The 917 does not stop accelerating. I took that thing to 232 mph at the end of dottinger hohe and it wanted to keep going. The 911's are also super fun

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have a lovely time tossing around the GT4 Clubsport. Nice mix of power and handling. It's not like the loving space shuttle 918.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have a lovely time tossing around the GT4 Clubsport. Nice mix of power and handling. It's not like the loving space shuttle 918.

The 918's default view for the cockpit+steering wheel cam took me a bit to get used to. It feels like you're sitting so far back and you've got this little porthole of a window to drive through

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

bathurst

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Oulton Park or Imola, since one of those 2 is in every game now.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Spa, Nurburg whatever sprint, Laguna Seca, Silverstone. Anything with a nice variety of turns plus long straights for speeeed.

This. Spa and Nerdburger a lot lately because they're some of the most active options you'll see on populated "track day" style servers that just let you jump and do laps with random people.

Laguna Seca has been around racing games since like Gran Turismo 2 so it is one of the go-to tracks to find a cars limit because poo poo like this will happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMz6SS6tow

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Norns posted:

In order, depending on sim/availability:

Lime Rock
Spa
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca
Brno
Nürburgring GP

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Nordschliefe is my favorite, though it can be brutal to learn the limits of a new car on due to size. I've done thousands of miles on that track though and is one of the few places I'd like to vacation to at some point.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I wanted to get Dirt Rally because gently caress yeah dirt rallies, but didn't see Vive support :(

just use ReVive

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does it work? I think a few months ago, Dirt Rally was one of the things that didn't work with revive.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

yeah, it's worked for as long as there's been oculus support. apparently codemasters inadvertently broke it a couple months back... so maybe you just got unlucky and tried running it in that window? it's been fixed since

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use Tsukuba and Suzuka for testing cars. I also tend to test on sonoma/infineon's NASCAR layout.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ciaphas posted:

I think part of the reason I don't play sim racing games often is I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Picked up project CARS yesterday because it has Vive support, and that was all nice and neat and immersive but oh my god actually driving is a nightmare even with the game doing the shifting for me.

Don't think I finished a single lap of a track in an hour :v:

Pick a relatively short simple track and a relatively sane car ( I don't know what options they would be in PC but something like a Mazda MX-5 at Lime Rock or Brands Hatch Indy would be perfect). You will crash and spin a bunch to begin with until you get a feel for it, we all do, but more so if your first taste of the game is an F1 car at the Nordschleife or some crazy poo poo.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Pick a relatively short simple track and a relatively sane car ( I don't know what options they would be in PC but something like a Mazda MX-5 at Lime Rock or Brands Hatch Indy would be perfect). You will crash and spin a bunch to begin with until you get a feel for it, we all do, but more so if your first taste of the game is an F1 car at the Nordschleife or some crazy poo poo.

May not be the fastest, though after many tries I managed the F1 at Nordschliefe back when Project Cars first got VR support.
https://youtu.be/aid5mWlCznA

MX-5 is an awesome car to learn in though. Very forgiving, not enough power to really get into trouble.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Silverstone National in the Formula Rookie or Clio Cup cars are decent ideas for getting a handle on how to drive in general in PCars. It's a super simple track and those 2 cars are fairly easy and fun to drive. Most every game now has its own 'trainer car', a car that's simple to drive but as you get better with it the skills you learn will transfer over to any other car. The Lotus 25 in AC, F-Trainer in AMS, Skippy in iRacing etc.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also you're probably driving too fast. Start slow, get faster, get used to the sense of speed or lack thereof. Check you speedometer in the beginning to get an idea of how fast you're really going through those corners. On the rare occasions someone tried out my setup for the first time they always go way too fast, and they're always surprised at their speed when I tell them to check. And if you're playing with a high FOV corners also might look wider than they are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The skip barber in iracing is a fantastic car to learn controll with too imo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Norns posted:

The skip barber in iracing is a fantastic car to learn controll with too imo.

It's also in rFactor 2, and there is a sortof one in the first rFactor (rF Trainer or something)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're into the nuts and bolts of how these games work, Niels (Reiza's physics guy) just uploaded a video about how he's basically done all his physics calculations wrong his entire career. So if you've wondered why cars in AMS tend to get a bit wild at high speeds, it's because the aero calculations are completely wrong. That's explains why the Formula Extreme has gotten reworked and rebuilt so many times since its release.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did Raceroom's devs re-vamp the UI because I remember it being real pain in the rear end to use.

Also Raceroom is great.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

If you're into the nuts and bolts of how these games work, Niels (Reiza's physics guy) just uploaded a video about how he's basically done all his physics calculations wrong his entire career. So if you've wondered why cars in AMS tend to get a bit wild at high speeds, it's because the aero calculations are completely wrong. That's explains why the Formula Extreme has gotten reworked and rebuilt so many times since its release.

I guess I don't care how much they work, more that 'simulators' on PC are nothing of the sort when you hear something like that. It's not something being carefully measured and the reproduced in code, it's a lone dude making poo poo up as he goes along and he works in such a bubble that he doesn't have team members that read the code and think 'what the gently caress is this'.

I've given up on iRacing for the moment and possibly for the future. I'm just sick of the smashey, I'm not going to invest hours of my life into something to be consistently disappointed. I guess I've pretty much had enough of PC sim racing for a while, I'm pursing some IRL racing and I just can't get motivated about my computer.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You're inflating the issue, it's a mistake in one part of the calculations that made certain cars in certain situations more unstable/oversteery than they should be. Now he'll fix that and the algorithms will be a bit better. If he hadn't made that video you probably wouldn't have even noticed the change beyond "the cars drive a little differently", just like they always do when any of the games gets updated.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Tony Montana posted:

I guess I don't care how much they work, more that 'simulators' on PC are nothing of the sort when you hear something like that.

You'll really flip your poo poo when you hear this: the AI cars use a different set of rules and algorithms for their physics than the player's car!

The computations are specifically designed to focus on the player's car, so the AI cars use simplified math so the focus is on you. Their AI is also designed with this in mind - the physics and AI work together to produce a decent approximation of the physics that are used by your car, at a vastly lower computational cost.

Speaking of that, all of the code has to run reliably on low end consumer grade hardware. That is a substantial limitation - all of the fancy math in the world doesn't do any good if your system can't run it at a good clock rate while simultaneously cranking out the graphics and all that good stuff.

Everything in sim racing (and all video games) is a series of compromises to achieve a believable result within the limits of below-average current hardware.

On that note, iRacing is great, Kamel GT is great, and I hope this weekend has some packed fields for the insanity that is Daytona Road multi-class.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah Kamel GT is fun as poo poo even if everyone is in the Nissan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Helpful reminder: these are all video games.