Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
Impulse bought a fishing pole, it's been 20 years since I went last. Plus the pole had a reel.

I don't know what I'm doing but if I catch anything I'm gonna sous vide it after. I've had one for 2 years now and it makes all proteins perfect. Try some ribs for a couple of days, then sear on a charcoal grill for a minute or two per side.

edit: forgot to link the thing I bought - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tenkara-rod-co-mini-sawtooth-package

FredLordofCheese has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I bought a 9 ft Steinway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingColliwog posted:

Is that safe because you put it in a vacuum sealed bag?

I wouldn't feel comfortable putting meat out of the fridge for 6 hours in general

It's being cooked, not left on the counter.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Judge_Dredd_saying_yeah.gif

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

FredLordofCheese posted:

Impulse bought a fishing pole, it's been 20 years since I went last. Plus the pole had a reel.

Every time a thing comes up at Massdrop it's a struggle not to buy one. The only complaint I read about their stuff is that people seem to think they are more fragile than other tenkara rods, I guess that weight reduction has to come from somewhere. But their customer service is supposed to be amazing in terms of replacing damaged rods for free or very cheaply. I guess that's one of the advantages of tenkara, if part of the rod breaks you can just replace that individual section.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

garbage owl posted:

I bought a 9 ft Steinway

How's that different from a 2 ft Steinway? Just more pedals? :downsrim:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

This is true but if you're gone for 8 hours it could be on the counter for 4 hours before you start cooking it for 4 hours. Probably not a big deal tho.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

bongwizzard posted:

Every time a thing comes up at Massdrop it's a struggle not to buy one. The only complaint I read about their stuff is that people seem to think they are more fragile than other tenkara rods, I guess that weight reduction has to come from somewhere. But their customer service is supposed to be amazing in terms of replacing damaged rods for free or very cheaply. I guess that's one of the advantages of tenkara, if part of the rod breaks you can just replace that individual section.

I think as long as you go for small fish it should be fine. I like to backpack in the Sierras where the average weight is between 1 - 5 lbs for most fish so it should be plenty. If I end up having a bunch of fun I might get a larger pole.

More content, gifts for a friend who likes Dune, the big lebowski, and drinking:

https://society6.com/product/dude-4bi_print#1=45

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AIJ5LWY

Gifts for my wife:

https://huckberry.com/store/julia-szendrei/category/p/27401-morse-code-love-necklace-turquoise

From here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristinCoffin

Toys for our baby:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yet another Yogibo Max for the family's basement to eventually become one giant room of these
Link https://www.yogibo.com/yogibo-max/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

FredLordofCheese posted:

I think as long as you go for small fish it should be fine. I like to backpack in the Sierras where the average weight is between 1 - 5 lbs for most fish so it should be plenty. If I end up having a bunch of fun I might get a larger pole.

From what I read it's mostly you need extreme care opening and closing the sections as the tolerances are really tight and it doesn't take much force to break stuff. I wish I saved a link, but some guy on a fly fishing forum said something like "pretend you are self-inserting a catheter, that is how careful you need to be".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought Dark City without the intro that spoils the whole thing.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Tim Whatley posted:

Yet another Yogibo Max for the family's basement to eventually become one giant room of these
Link https://www.yogibo.com/yogibo-max/
Whoa! That thing is wild. I dig it.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

for the boy and his xbone, to encourage him to play more games that don't reduce shooting people in the face to "tag, you're it!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sexual Lorax posted:

for the boy and his xbone, to encourage him to play more games that don't reduce shooting people in the face to "tag, you're it!"

Hard to play Spec Ops The Line on that :confused:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Lorax posted:

Because "driving fast as poo poo is the most awesome thing ever!" is a slightly better take away I guess.

Also, do can you hold the wheel in your lap or do you have to sit at a desk or table with that thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Because "driving fast as poo poo is the most awesome thing ever!"

It so is.

e: For a child.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

It so is.

e: For a child.

Eh, I had way more friends die due to reckless driving then gunfire when I was younger.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, I had way more friends die due to reckless driving then gunfire when I was younger.

It's awesome to the one doing it not to other people. (Although the millions of people who for whatever dumb loving reason watch F1 might say otherwise.)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Winston Churchill posted:

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.

Be we are getting far afield of the the question at had, which is, "can you use that wheel on your lap"?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Also, do can you hold the wheel in your lap or do you have to sit at a desk or table with that thing.

Force feedback wheel definitely needs to be mounted. Kid and I are going to design and build some kind of wooden cockpit frame thing for it that works with his floor rocker, hopefully resulting in something like a Formula 1 driving position.

I know I'm not the only one here who made a cockpit for StarFox out of pillows with speakers as the backrest. This is just passing the torch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Lorax posted:

floor rocker

I got actually annoyed in a "loving kids have it too easy with their comfy seats and wireless controllers" way when I saw the chair things my nephews have.

A friend's dad had a flight sim setup when I was a kid and he guarded that thing from us more than his actual car. The few times he let us play X-wing on it I realized being an adult could be extremely cool if you did it right. I have always like stick/wheel set up but never got into the games enough to justify one.

Are there any decent wheels for the casual nerd?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My super awesome Klipsch iFi speakers died. I tried fixing them but none of the obvious solutions worked. So I got these:

I didn't really have $110 budgeted for something like this, but that price includes taxes and shipping and that's the lowest it really ever gets.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

xtal posted:

This is true but if you're gone for 8 hours it could be on the counter for 4 hours before you start cooking it for 4 hours. Probably not a big deal tho.

The recommended cook time is usually enough to pasteurize whatever you're cooking. You're probably right that 4 hours out of the fridge prior to cooking is probably not enough for anything bad to happen, but even if you let your meat rot on your counter for a couple days, it'll come out as bacteria free rotten meat. I don't recommend you do this.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Subjunctive posted:

I was talking about the WiFi ones where the point is to let the meat sit in a lukewarm water bath for hours before starting it.

Inspector 34 posted:

The recommended cook time is usually enough to pasteurize whatever you're cooking. You're probably right that 4 hours out of the fridge prior to cooking is probably not enough for anything bad to happen, but even if you let your meat rot on your counter for a couple days, it'll come out as bacteria free rotten meat. I don't recommend you do this.

That would be a good explanation.

It's just that usually "2 hours" seems to be the rule for "how long you should let stuff out of the fridge"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I suspect if it really mattered you could fill your pot with ice in the morning and that would keep it cool long enough for the cooker to start up. I think the real use of the wifi is that so you can stare at it while at work, thinking of the meat orgy to come.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You could fill the container with cold water initially if you used an insulated container and account for the extra time to heat the water.

efb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingColliwog posted:

I was talking about the WiFi ones where the point is to let the meat sit in a lukewarm water bath for hours before starting it.

I'm not sure that's the point of them, but it is the point of the Mellow, which actively cools before the heating stage begins.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Are there any decent wheels for the casual nerd?

I honestly don't know what's good on the low end of racing wheels, as that's not my genre. I just know this bitch is xbone certified and pulls good Amazon reviews.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
No pictures because :effort: but here's what I got for people as Christmas presents so far:
-two lockpick sets
-a Bluetooth speaker that looks like a light-up Rubik's cube
-the die hard coloring book
-the home alone coloring book

And for me, 5 packages of iron on letters. Gotta keep busy somehow.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

No pictures because :effort: but here's what I got for people as Christmas presents so far:
-two lockpick sets
-a Bluetooth speaker that looks like a light-up Rubik's cube
-the die hard coloring book
-the home alone coloring book

And for me, 5 packages of iron on letters. Gotta keep busy somehow.

Do you have any practice locks to go with those?

eta I skipped the part where you said they were christmas gifts. But you need practice locks to go with those.

eta2 Since we're all posting gifts now my friend has been talking about subscription boxes all the time so I subscribed them to a couple months of stationery from Nicely Noted, hot sauce from Fuego Box and Makeup from Ipsy. Do you think its weird if your gift is a card saying "expect a lot of mail?"

xtal has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Dec 7, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Haha wow, thanks for that post. I went to double check and realized I accidentally ordered the wrong thing. To answer your question though, of course!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Check out the Simul8r and Deathmobile for cheap-to-build plan ideas. My rig is based on Simul8r, with mods for triple monitors and a more sturdy shifter.

Then show him iRacing, and throw your wallet away!

I bought the iRacing Mercedes AMG GT3. The next season of Blancpain Endurance Series starts next week and a team of goons will run the season.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:eyepop: 20USD per month for a subscription? Nice 85-90% profit margin (don't know what current US postal rates are).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

:eyepop: 20USD per month for a subscription? Nice 85-90% profit margin (don't know what current US postal rates are).

You also don't know US stationery rates! 5-7 dollars is standard for something made by an artist and not Hallmark. You're not just paying for the paper.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

I bought an Otamatone after hearing someone play some funny noises in a discord group with one.
It's basically a funny little instrument thats kind of like a keyboard that makes wah wah noises when you squeeze the mouth, somewhat hard to explain really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

xtal posted:

You also don't know US stationery rates! 5-7 dollars is standard for something made by an artist and not Hallmark. You're not just paying for the paper.

Yeah like I said that's one heck of a profit margin :confused:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah like I said that's one heck of a profit margin :confused:

Skill and labor are worth??? Man, Picasso had some insane profit margins!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Skill and labor are worth??? Man, Picasso had some insane profit margins!

I looked at their designs and I don't think bringing Picasso in to this is fair.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I looked at their designs and I don't think bringing Picasso in to this is fair.

Hey this is the handcrafted, artisanal product of hours of careful labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

We make 3 cards a month and sell 1000 subscriptions, for 20 dollars a pop. We're rich as gently caress!!!! Woooooo