Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DuckConference posted:

Sure it's good in general. I mean I have it turned on for gmail. But why deal with the hassle for, say, dropbox when all of my bank accounts are protected with only 6 digit passwords and have no option for anything better? "I got keylogged and all my money is gone, but thank god they didn't get some random spreadsheets."

You have to be trolling right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That might actually be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Guys my motorcycle has lovely brakes so what's the use in wearing a helmet?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Boris Galerkin posted:

(On the other hand some companies we worked with did request we have our IT guys encrypt everything onto enterprise grade hard drives and physically mail those as opposed to sending data ~via the cloud~ so it wasn't all bad .)

Yeah, it was.

"The cloud" is just a buzzword for a family of applications and hosted services. It can range from "hey, I put the user passwords and stored credit cards on Dropbox, password is sup3rs3cr3t" to a secure application that happens to be hosted on the same platform Amazon or Google use for their own sensitive information.

If an organization completely rejects integrating with anything hosted in the cloud, it's possible that they're dealing with incredibly sensitive information that can't be trusted to outside systems. If that's what is going on, they should be sending the hard drives handcuffed to people with guns, not through the mail. That's bad. But, it's a lot more likely that somebody, somewhere, heard that "the cloud isn't secure" and now they don't use the cloud, because they believe the foundation of good security is Some Guy Said. That's even worse.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

So 2FA is garbage because your bank uses an antiquated system? :psyduck:

My point was that I am selective about where to use it and I don't turn it on for absolutely everything because the hassle wouldn't be worth it for protecting something trivial.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DuckConference posted:

My point was that I am selective about where to use it and I don't turn it on for absolutely everything because the hassle wouldn't be worth it for protecting something trivial.

So how do you define "trivial" and does it apply just to you or in general?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
How often are you logging into dropbox that the additional 20 seconds to type a 2FA code is a hassle? Do you keep clearing your cookies or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Every bank I've ever dealt with indemnified against losses from someone compromising your account anyway.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because my information is worth more than [temporary, reversible] access to my bank account.

You can open new bank accounts, new credit cards, and find and gain access to other accounts of mine through simple "social engineering" by logging into my Dropbox and make my world difficult for the foreseeable future. I don't really give a poo poo if you've managed to brute force my 6 digit bank password that must be in all lowercase because the worse that will happen is I'm stuck on the phone for a bit while they reverse the charges/suspend my account/what have you.

e: No I don't keep a txt file in my Dropbox called SOCIAL_SECURITY_NUMBER.txt or anything silly like that. But if you were willing to spend a modicum amount of time you could probably find out who my parents and sisters are from things in my Dropbox, my friends even, and there's probably enough information in there to figure out how to contact these people and impersonating someone else in my circle until you get the information you're looking for. Not that I'm famous or important or anything but that doesn't excuse the possibility.
I used to work with law enforcement databases. You know, the ones that contain tons of sensitive information about almost everyone, because even the most law-abiding citizens get pulled over occasionally.

Anyway, California required anyone working on their stuff to get fingerprinted in California - I guess other states just don't do it right or something. So every few months my company would grab all the latest hires, rent a car, and do a day-trip to the nearest CA city for everyone to get fingerprinted. When we got there, the police were busy, and left us alone in the room with the fingerprint computer for almost an hour. Posted on the wall next to the computer were instructions for how to use it, including things like which icon to double-click and exactly which menu items to select. The very first step was to log on, and the username and password were helpfully included in the instructions. "Administrator/12345"

Another time I was working with a Sheriff's dept in FL and had some questions about what I was seeing in their database, so I called the vendor who provided the software to the department. She conferenced in a deputy at the Sheriff's office to talk about it and then decided to log into their live system to see if what I was seeing matched what was in production. While I was still on the call, I got to hear this snippet of conversation:
Vendor: "I can never remember, what's the Sheriff's password?"
Deputy: "It's 'arrest', all lowercase."
Vendor: "That's right, it really should be easier for me to remember."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My bank uses a "security image", but not a lot of good it would do anyways if someone did manage to login to my account. The only thing they could do is transfer money back and forth between my own accounts, see my balances, oh and maybe pay one of my bills.

My bank is a bit backwards technologically, because that is the extent of functionality you have when logged into their "online-banking".

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

So how do you define "trivial" and does it apply just to you or in general?

I mean it's going to be specific to what the person is using the service for. Someone's Dropbox could be very sensitive and worth using 2-factor for, but many peoples' aren't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can I have the password to your Dropbox account?

Like, what the gently caress is even your point? Things that don't contain secure information don't need to be secured? Gee, thanks for that knowledge bomb.

Back in the real world, we understand that people who set up a Dropbox account don't think "hey, this isn't as secure as it needs to be... maybe I shouldn't put my tax returns here." IF a location can potentially store sensitive data it should be secured using reasonable steps. 2FA is a reasonable step. No, it's not going to stop Mossad, but it is going to stop a million other circumstances.

God drat.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

DuckConference posted:

I mean it's going to be specific to what the person is using the service for. Someone's Dropbox could be very sensitive and worth using 2-factor for, but many peoples' aren't.

Please keep your fecklessly idiotic security advice to yourself. There is no reason to advocate for not having 2FA turned on because somehow you think it's not worth it for one's cat pictures. If a service offers it, then it's a good thing to turn on if you're capable of using it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DuckConference posted:

PM me your username/password so I can use your dropbox since you don't seem to care about any amount of security.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

PM me your username/password so I can use your dropbox since you don't seem to care about any amount of security.

By the way, VanCitySec is on Thursday. I'll likely will be there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Back in the real world, we understand that people who set up a Dropbox account don't think "hey, this isn't as secure as it needs to be... maybe I shouldn't put my tax returns here." IF a location can potentially store sensitive data it should be secured using reasonable steps. 2FA is a reasonable step. No, it's not going to stop Mossad, but it is going to stop a million other circumstances.

God drat.

To add on to this, most people don't have an organized system in place to review and improve their security posture. That is to say, normal people don't have quartly reviews of their Dropbox content to reconsider their risk in the updated environment. So taking the less secure option opens you up to the whole world of future risks.

Sure your 3D scans of your butt might seem safe now, until you buy a tesla with rear end ID and forget you have those scans sitting in a folder on drop-box, until your tesla gets stolen by a 3D printed fake butt.

That's all assuming you have perfect knowledge of current risks, which is also not true for anyone. The idea that "I'm a nobody, I'm not worth hacking" is backwards, instead when you get hacked it will be because you're an easy enough target to make it worthwhile.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Please keep your fecklessly idiotic security advice to yourself. There is no reason to advocate for not having 2FA turned on because somehow you think it's not worth it for one's cat pictures. If a service offers it, then it's a good thing to turn on if you're capable of using it.

More fun if they have them in a folder called "pictures of Snowball" and their security question for paypal is their cat's name.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure your 3D scans of your butt might seem safe now, until you buy a tesla with rear end ID and forget you have those scans sitting in a folder on drop-box, until your tesla gets stolen by a 3D printed fake butt.

This is the world I want to live in.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
sms 2fa kind of useless|sucks rear end compared to proper 2fa though, if anything the additional weakest-links make things worse sometimes

esports friend had phone numbers cloned to new sims or something, sms 2fa passed, 2fa disabled, and accounts compromised because of it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

sms 2fa kind of useless|sucks rear end compared to proper 2fa though

It's not great, but it's better than relying on just a password.

Biowarfare posted:

esports friend had phone numbers cloned to new sims or something, sms 2fa passed, 2fa disabled, and accounts compromised because of it

Yeah, that's a risk. But I think using only a password is worse. in general an average user is probably more likely to have their web account compromised as opposed to their phone cloned.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

how did that make security worse exactly

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

how did that make security worse exactly

account was "recovered" using the phone number, without having the u/p in the first place

i guess for the average normal user, sms 2fa might be ok, but then you get into all sorts of bullshit where people change phones or numbers and lose their accounts permanently, and there's also the whole problem with places treating a phone number as god compared to everything else for recovery purposes, and then you have the issue where many providers (such as google fi, and many of the new MVNOs springing up) are actually voip numbers in databases, and get rejected for 2fa even if valid -- i can't use my google fi number in many places because they're just like "abusive voip number - gently caress off"

Impotence fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh so it wasn't a second factor then

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Biowarfare posted:

sms 2fa kind of useless|sucks rear end compared to proper 2fa though, if anything the additional weakest-links make things worse sometimes

A SQL injection vulnerability or poorly coded debug mode of some service makes a username and password useless too, so let's just not bother at all right?

The point of 2FA using SMS isn't that it's bulletproof (it's not), but it's there to add an extra level of pain-in-the-rear end.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS is correct. That's not 2FA. That's an authorized phone number for account recovery.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I guess my complaint is more against companies that treat phone numbers as god when you add one, instead of strictly as a dumb 2FA receiver (and not treating a 2FA number separately than a contact number tied to an account's profile)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/jeremydlarson/status/806258064303263744

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the A/T cons and scams thread:

504 posted:

My brand new staff member (night shift) gave me the best present ever.

504: Hello new worker, how was the night shift? Completely eventless and no problems at all, just like it always is?
New Guy: Yes, except the computer caught a virus, but its ok, I called the number and fixed it
504: A virus? how odd, what did IT say?
New Guy: Oh I didn't call them, I called the number in the box that popped up 0900 something.
504: (Stomach dropping) What did the "technician" tell you to do?
New Guy: He got me to go to a google page and download a file to fix it.

504: Hello IT? I'm afraid my new staff member has downloaded and installed a remote access program to the hospitals network. Also I cant make the firewall do anything.

Good times.

People are the weakest link in your security framework.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From the A/T cons and scams thread:

People are the weakest link in your security framework.

There is no facepalm big enough :allbuttons:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

OSI bean dip posted:

By the way, VanCitySec is on Thursday. I'll likely will be there.

Apparently it is cancelled for this month.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Was it so people didn't have to brave the snow?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Supposedly because it's Christmastime and people are starting to disappear.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

OSI bean dip posted:

Apparently it is cancelled for this month.

rip

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Likely, vancouver is currently making GBS threads itself

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Curious, what's the thread's personal policy or advisement for physical password storage, as inscribed a notebook or something? As in, having a hard copy backup of at least your password database password and suitable instructions for use so your next-of-kin can unlock your cat pics when you're quite dead? Is it "don't do it, under any circumstances, you idiot," "safety deposit box only," "folded up in a sock drawer," in the easily lock-picked fire safe, etc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doctorfrog posted:

Curious, what's the thread's personal policy or advisement for physical password storage, as inscribed a notebook or something? As in, having a hard copy backup of at least your password database password and suitable instructions for use so your next-of-kin can unlock your cat pics when you're quite dead? Is it "don't do it, under any circumstances, you idiot," "safety deposit box only," "folded up in a sock drawer," in the easily lock-picked fire safe, etc.

My parents have a sheet of paper locked in their fire safe that has some of my more important login credentials, for use in the unlikely event I get run over by a cement mixer and am either dead or in a coma. It's not the greatest from a standpoint of paranoid security, but they're old and non-technical. It'd take them all day just to figure out how to install keepassx, let alone actually use it.

Come to think of it, I should update that paper, it's been a while. Thanks for the reminder.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

depends entirely on what you're protecting. doesn't really impact the security of the average user, so just make sure it's relatively up to date. could even leave it next to the computer, better off elsewhere in the event of a fire though

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ugh these recruiters keep sending us these certificate whores who don't have any real world experience and don't know anything except what you can learn in a training manual.

Who hires these people?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People who still buy IBM.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mustache Ride posted:

Ugh these recruiters keep sending us these certificate whores who don't have any real world experience and don't know anything except what you can learn in a training manual.

Who hires these people?

You should be able to find out by looking at their resumes, unless the answer is 'no-one yet'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mostly consulting groups it seems. What a waste of time the past 2 interviews have been.