Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Philly twitter wants Charlie Strong to come to Temple, and um, I don't see that happening at all ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

this is still the weirdest drat thing

A lot of this stuff is overplayed a bit. The rumors are usually agents leaking details or pimping their guy.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I get the feeling that Rhule was waiting for Penn State to open up, but Franklin's not going anywhere after this season.

Dykes has always been a weird fit at Cal, he's a good ol' boy and son of a Texas coaching legend. Mack Rhoades tried to hire him at Houston and Mizzou as well, so I'm not surprised that he reached out again.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

This is basically why Bill O'Brien had the Paterno statue cast into fires of US Steel's furnaces.

I thought the Paterno statue was just put in storage until the heat dies down.

Or are there other Paterno statues. What am I saying, of course there are other Paterno statues.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought the Paterno statue was just put in storage until the heat dies down.

Or are there other Paterno statues. What am I saying, of course there are other Paterno statues.

warehouse full of them. its the only thing thats kept the foundries going.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

A lot of this stuff is overplayed a bit. The rumors are usually agents leaking details or pimping their guy.

To a degree that's true but I don't think Dykes and the cal AD have ever gotten along at all

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/806193893171744768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/806194208759574528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Oregon must have low balled Rhule. I can't think of any other reason to go to Baylor over Oregon.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Oregon must have low balled Rhule. I can't think of any other reason to go to Baylor over Oregon.

Baylor was probably offering ~$4 million after losing out on Morris because he wanted ~$5.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

At least Hoke was Michigan Man. Rhule has no connection with Baylor at all.

Pretty good hire. Rhule was going to move up somewhere, but you can't help but think he's just a stop gap, as MV suggests.

Also, it is worth pointing out that Rhule can't take full credit for what Temple has become. Al Golden got that ball rolling.

Rhule has been way better than Golden was and there was a mediocre Addazio period in the middle there. I don't think they made a bowl the year before he was hired. Rhule has overseen the best period for Temple football by a mile.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacebump posted:

Recruiting area I guess, but as it's been noted Rhule doesn't have any contacts down there anyway. When you add everything else up, yeah I'm imagining Baylor offered a lot more.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
What is Temple going to do when Rhule poaches half of their class since he won't have one at Baylor otherwise?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

What is Temple going to do when Rhule poaches half of their class since he won't have one at Baylor otherwise?

suck

or hire Fleck and pray he can fix it

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

suck

or hire Fleck and pray he can fix it

Why would Fleck go to Temple?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rhule would have made way more sense at Mizzou, who he turned down last year, but I assume he (understandably) though Franklin might be canned at PSU this year and was holding out for that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Why would Fleck go to Temple?

I was going to assume a good pay increase but the USA Today database said he was only making 1mil :stare:

I know PA schools have kinda funny laws on information releases like that, it's got to be more.

E: Wow the AAC has a much wider range of salaries than I thought it did. Nevermind.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Rhule can maintain mediocrity for a couple years and whether the bad press, he should come out alright and win a lot of games in a few years

Worked for PSU

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I'm looking forward to an Art Briles appreciation day in a few years.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If the door's truly closed at Oregon, I wonder if Fleck's stuck in Kalmazoo or if any decent dominoes fall in his favor. Going to Cinci or USF would be an advancement, but given that he was the #2 guy on the market after Herman it'd be a disappointment to not get into the P5 level.

It's not completely uncommon for coaches to have to wait a year for the right opportunity, re: Sumlin/Herman, but if the boat sinks Fleck might be up poo poo's creek without a paddle.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

This is who they should have been going after hard since the beginning. They might fall rear end backwards into a good fit.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Jota posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well maybe you guys shouldn't have embarrassed the United States on a national stage by crushing the hopes and dreams of Navy :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The next few years are going to be tough for them no matter what, but this seems to be as good of a hire as Baylor could have hoped for, good on them. I was starting to think they weren't going to get anything like a young up and comer to put his career on the line to come there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

korrandark posted:

I'm looking forward to an Art Briles appreciation day in a few years.

poo poo they already had one this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

If the door's truly closed at Oregon, I wonder if Fleck's stuck in Kalmazoo or if any decent dominoes fall in his favor. Going to Cinci or USF would be an advancement, but given that he was the #2 guy on the market after Herman it'd be a disappointment to not get into the P5 level.

It's not completely uncommon for coaches to have to wait a year for the right opportunity, re: Sumlin/Herman, but if the boat sinks Fleck might be up poo poo's creek without a paddle.

They've paid him really well for that level but this seems like the ideal time to get out given how senior laden that roster is. He has recruited circles around the rest of the MAC and the rest of the league is way down though, so maybe he'd be okay

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

Rhule has been way better than Golden was and there was a mediocre Addazio period in the middle there. I don't think they made a bowl the year before he was hired. Rhule has overseen the best period for Temple football by a mile.

He was and he did. I'm super sad to see him go. I hope he kills it at Baylor.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well, Cincy's still out there, and Fleck wouldn't be the first Directional Michigan coach to take that gig as a steppingstone

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Rhule can maintain mediocrity for a couple years and whether the bad press, he should come out alright and win a lot of games in a few years

Worked for PSU

Texas recruiting is a tough scene right now, Baylor might not be back for a very long time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Texas recruiting is a tough scene right now, Baylor might not be back for a very long time.

If by back you mean 10 wins a year then yeah, but that was always dependent on Texas being down. In the Big 12 as currently constructed there's no reason they can't be at least middle of the pack or better most of the time. Even when Texas is good there's plenty of three stars to go around. As long as they're patient for 3 or 4 years they shouldn't go back to the early 2000s dark ages for long.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 6, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like if Oregon takes Taggart, Fleck is better off going to USF than Cincy. Would you rather inherit Tuberville's mess in a P5 conference or remain the hot G5 coach by picking up where Taggart left off?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

If by back you mean 10 wins a year then yeah, but that was always dependent on Texas being down. In the Big 12 as currently constructed there's no reason they can't be at least middle of the pack or better most of the time. Even when Texas is good there's plenty of three stars to go around. As long as they're patient for 3 or 4 years they shouldn't go back to the early 2000s dark ages for long.

Yeah good coaching and Texas recruits that slip past the big guys would probably get Baylor along just fine in the middle of the pack. I mean it's most of the way Mizzou survived when they were in the Big 12 and about the only thing K State has ever had going for it. Iowa State and Kansas try to do it with...results that aren't as good.

Having said that Rhule is behind the 8 ball in like 5 different ways and it's going to take a while to get anything at all up and running once the current guys are gone.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like if Oregon takes Taggart, Fleck is better off going to USF than Cincy. Would you rather inherit Tuberville's mess in a P5 conference or remain the hot G5 coach by picking up where Taggart left off?

USF is also in better recruiting territory.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah good coaching and Texas recruits that slip past the big guys would probably get Baylor along just fine in the middle of the pack. I mean it's most of the way Mizzou survived when they were in the Big 12 and about the only thing K State has ever had going for it. Iowa State and Kansas try to do it with...results that aren't as good.

Having said that Rhule is behind the 8 ball in like 5 different ways and it's going to take a while to get anything at all up and running once the current guys are gone.

It's going to be huge if he can limp along with the little that they have left in the tank and get bowl eligible next year and maybe not worse than 5-7 or 4-8 for the next couple of years after that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Err, you seem to be under the false impression that Cincinnati is in a P5 conference... USF and Cincinnati are both AAC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

USF is apparently also really hot on kiffin, and that seems like a better spot for him than Houston

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Err, you seem to be under the false impression that Cincinnati is in a P5 conference... USF and Cincinnati are both AAC.

It's the perfect time for the sad bearcat, but I don't have it on hand. Somebody help me out here.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

It's the perfect time for the sad bearcat, but I don't have it on hand. Somebody help me out here.

[goatse.cx]

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It's okay the conference has us put P6 stickers on our helmets so its an easy mistake to make.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

warehouse full of them. its the only thing thats kept the foundries going.

The others were cement.

You could buy them for your yard.

I always thought it was stupid

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Houston's d coordinator Orlando, is he any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Oh yeah there's really no way someone would turn down Oregon for a shipwrecked program like Baylor unless it was all money. The recruiting reason doesn't make much sense either because even the last few years Oregon did better than Baylor in recruiting.

• Locked thread