Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Besides all the free Oculus stuff, make sure you get cool free stuff from Steam. Budget Cuts demo, The Lab, Google Earth VR, etc.
I played The Lab earlier and it was loving awesome as expected, but I didn't seem to be getting any haptic feedback in Touch in any of the demos. Anyone else experienced this? Also the one I most wanted to try, robot repair, seemed to have no teleporting functionality and my space is noway near big enough to walk around that whole virtual room they have :(

Knifegrab posted:

For those who want to read up on the revive changes they made a recent big update:
Out of interest, how's the Touch emulation working? Hopefully it works pretty well, especially because Vive users playing Oculus games means more people in multiplayer.

Bremen posted:

They've been hinting they have something big planned involving VR; I'm guessing a AAA VR game since they don't have to worry about the small market as much as most devs. Lots of people are thinking something in the Portal or VR series, but I wouldn't be surprised at something new.
I loving hope so. I know it's irrational but it pisses me off that they seem to have a bunch of (probably) the most talented developers and artists in games but they don't seem to be producing anything anymore because they want to have a super-chilled office space or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
H3VR or Onward needs to have a terrorist hunt mode like Raven Shield. That would certainly be fun.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

El Grillo posted:

I played The Lab earlier and it was loving awesome as expected, but I didn't seem to be getting any haptic feedback in Touch in any of the demos. Anyone else experienced this? Also the one I most wanted to try, robot repair, seemed to have no teleporting functionality and my space is noway near big enough to walk around that whole virtual room they have :(

I don't know a lot about SteamVR, but their latest beta build has Oculus haptic support:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/289750474011913365

Do devs need to manually add support into their games, or is this automatically mapped to Vive haptics?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Falken posted:

H3VR or Onward needs to have a terrorist hunt mode like Raven Shield. That would certainly be fun.

I'm hoping the Onward dev has made enough money to start hiring people to help him polish that thing up. Pretty astounding what he's built and the player base already though.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Falken posted:

H3VR is the game I've sunk the most time into on the Vive, but it desperately needs to become a real game. The developer has stated that he doesn't want to put in humanoids, so we're stuck plinking away at metal targets and weird hot dog robots. I respect the man sticking to his guns and delivering what is a really polished physics simulator, but I would love nothing more than a terrorist hunt mode or, god forbid, a Borderlands-lite with ammo and weapon scavenging.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Falken posted:

H3VR is never going to have human(ish) targets - the dev is a big pacifist ironically.

The roomscale + locomotion in Onward would be ideal for a co-op (or even single player) shooter though, it feels nearly perfect to locomote yourself near a corner and then physically take the last few steps and lean around it.

I haven't tried Doom 3 BFG because I heard they might be working on physical reloads - no idea if that's true but it would be pretty great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

If controller throwing is such a big problem it should have a locking strap like the wiimote.

This was a page back but both the Vive and Touch controllers have Wiimote-style straps built in, with those slide-down clasps to make them snug.

My Touch controllers just came and the straps are like gorilla gauge; the original Wiimote straps could wear our or snap but this is some nylon paracord poo poo. Actually I think I'll just bang a couple nails or thumb tacks into the side of my desk and hang the controllers from there.

Edit: Also, what ever happened to Oculus putting out first-party facial interfaces? My boyfriend's face is so flat and wide (he maxes out the IPD too) that there's a one inch gap from his forehead to the top foam on the HMD.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 6, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The default Vive straps are also notorious for snapping, they already started packing in stronger ones. I replaced mine with late gen Wiimote straps and they feel way more secure

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thor-Stryker posted:

From the prototyping, it looks like Valve did everything but the final consumer skin. Now, HTC (and partners) may be advancing the main headset while Valve is working on peripherals (for fun) and SteamVR to ensure ALL headsets work with their client.

The real question is, when will Valve will get back to gaming? I mean large swaths of their staff were game developers only, what the gently caress happened to them all?

Never, filthy Steam lucre runs Valve now

Zero VGS posted:

My Mom is like a home flipping pro and assures me that ceiling fans are in fact dumb and replacing them with flush panel lighting will make your room appear bigger and less cluttered.

She is correct but in the 110 summers of Vegas even with AC not having a ceiling fan is Unfortunate

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zero VGS posted:

This was a page back but both the Vive and Touch controllers have Wiimote-style straps built in, with those slide-down clasps to make them snug.

My Touch controllers just came and the straps are like gorilla gauge; the original Wiimote straps could wear our or snap but this is some nylon paracord poo poo. Actually I think I'll just bang a couple nails or thumb tacks into the side of my desk and hang the controllers from there.

Edit: Also, what ever happened to Oculus putting out first-party facial interfaces? My boyfriend's face is so flat and wide (he maxes out the IPD too) that there's a one inch gap from his forehead to the top foam on the HMD.

?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

She is correct but in the 110 summers of Vegas even with AC not having a ceiling fan is Unfortunate

Play games set in deserts, it'll help with the immersion.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
People new to VR (or now spending tons of time due to touch). I strongly suggest adding a Window AC unit or nice strong fan some where you can walk into the path of in your play space. Overheating is extremely common (also a sign of impending Sim Sickness) and it's very nice to be able to just walk over and lower your face to a stream of cold air. I have a window AC unit that I keep running that lets me cool off and also helps keep me oriented since I can always tell from the sound/air which direction is +Z.

If you're starting to get hot, please cool off sim sickness is no joke and cooling off won't necessarily fix it since it's a symptom and not the cause. Also take a few days to ease in, once you feel sick stop playing for a bit. You own this and can take as long as you want.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bremen posted:

They've been hinting they have something big planned involving VR; I'm guessing a AAA VR game since they don't have to worry about the small market as much as most devs. Lots of people are thinking something in the Portal or VR series, but I wouldn't be surprised at something new.

I haven't heard any rumors along those lines, can you elaborate on them/where you heard them? I can poke and prod, but they're tight lipped. Not coy tight lipped either, lawyers involved tight lipped. I miss getting insider info from the Kerbal guys.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
google "valve upcoming vr content"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

The default Vive straps are also notorious for snapping, they already started packing in stronger ones. I replaced mine with late gen Wiimote straps and they feel way more secure

Yeah the Rift straps are way beyond even the Gen 2 Wiimote straps, it's full paracord that goes into a molded rubber plug with a fixing pin, then slots into a wedge in the battery compartment.

Also in a really nice touch, the battery doors are magnetic. Oculus buying the Xbox 360 controller design firm is paying dividends now, I'll give them that.

Stick100 posted:

People new to VR (or now spending tons of time due to touch). I strongly suggest adding a Window AC unit or nice strong fan some where you can walk into the path of in your play space.

There needs to be a Kickstarter for a VR-compatible box fan. I'd legit pay for one that matches RPM to the speed of my racing games or flying a biplane in War Thunder.

My perfect VR game would be a force feedback tilt-lean saddle (like they use on those motorcycle arcade games) combined with reins, a controlled box fan, and Touch controllers... Panzer Dragoon VR.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Squashing Machine posted:

H3VR is the game I've sunk the most time into on the Vive, but it desperately needs to become a real game. The developer has stated that he doesn't want to put in humanoids, so we're stuck plinking away at metal targets and weird hot dog robots. I respect the man sticking to his guns and delivering what is a really polished physics simulator, but I would love nothing more than a terrorist hunt mode or, god forbid, a Borderlands-lite with ammo and weapon scavenging.

Yeah I come back to H3VR more than any other game because of the constant updates and the guns are just so satisfying to play with but it's really spoiled me on how guns should be in VR. I want every game involving guns to have that much detail, it's so fun when you load a mag and cock the weapon manually.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Warbird posted:

I haven't heard any rumors along those lines, can you elaborate on them/where you heard them? I can poke and prod, but they're tight lipped. Not coy tight lipped either, lawyers involved tight lipped. I miss getting insider info from the Kerbal guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJqo7XzwJd0&t=523s

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Stick100 posted:

People new to VR (or now spending tons of time due to touch). I strongly suggest adding a Window AC unit or nice strong fan some where you can walk into the path of in your play space. Overheating is extremely common (also a sign of impending Sim Sickness) and it's very nice to be able to just walk over and lower your face to a stream of cold air. I have a window AC unit that I keep running that lets me cool off and also helps keep me oriented since I can always tell from the sound/air which direction is +Z.

If you're starting to get hot, please cool off sim sickness is no joke and cooling off won't necessarily fix it since it's a symptom and not the cause. Also take a few days to ease in, once you feel sick stop playing for a bit. You own this and can take as long as you want.
I found that living in Scotland works

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

El Grillo posted:

Out of interest, how's the Touch emulation working? Hopefully it works pretty well, especially because Vive users playing Oculus games means more people in multiplayer.

With the limited amount I've used it, its has been very good and smooth, no real issues but I haven't really put it through its paces.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the only issue is going to be if a game uses more than one button since the vive only has one face button and touch has two.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Surely someone has played the Unspoken by now, how is it

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cojawfee posted:

I think the only issue is going to be if a game uses more than one button since the vive only has one face button and touch has two.

Yeah there are a couple cross over issues. The vive problem loses more of them since the touch has slightly more interfaces. If the game requires fine touch pad input that will be harder on the touch (touchpad > joystick for fine movement) but almost no game uses such an input like that.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I started a one stop shop thread for finding virtual friends in PGS.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800797

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

From my chats with an acquaintance there, more than a few members of the Dota2 team spend more than a little time lurking /r/Dota2. I suspect the CSGO guys do the same. Their weird pancake structure means that projects have extremely variable amounts resources available to them, so large projects like a game rear end game are fairly unlikely unless someone champions it coerces others to help.

I suspect that due to their bonus structure system, people are heavily incentiveized to work on high profile, high rate of return projects. VR, Steam Store, DoTA2, CS:GO are the cash cows so all the cool kids who want to make big bonuses are glued to those projects.

Making a new game is a multi year project and is low profile until release, very low incentive to chase that bonus, with high risk of never shipping the product. See also: profits from unreleased game Johnny Five Aces

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stormangel posted:

I started a one stop shop thread for finding virtual friends in PGS.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800797

We should get a Discord in there or something so people have a chatroom to drop into

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

We should get a Discord in there or something so people have a chatroom to drop into

They aren't hard to make. Here's a VR discord goons can join: https://discord.gg/TGYMCHJ

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The way revive works right now is the top half of the touchpad is for analog stick and the bottom half is for the 2 buttons.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

UPS dude just dropped my Touch off, and while I've gotta move some stuff around before I can get things set up properly, they feel really nice in the hand. I also dig the design of the battery cover.

UPS dude also apparently had a lot on his truck this morning, as he was holding another Touch box and idly wondering what the hell it was as I signed for mine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
From looking at the Oculus store checkout page, it appears that ordering the $599 base unit and the $199 Touch controllers leaves you with just one camera base station. Do you really have to buy the 2nd one separately or does an extra one come with the controllers?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Nuts and Gum posted:

From looking at the Oculus store checkout page, it appears that ordering the $599 base unit and the $199 Touch controllers leaves you with just one camera base station. Do you really have to buy the 2nd one separately or does an extra one come with the controllers?

Yeah, the Base unit comes with one sensor, and Touch comes with a second. The separate sensor is for people who want to try the experimental 360 degree and Roomscale stuff.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stormangel posted:

Yeah, the Base unit comes with one sensor, and Touch comes with a second. The separate sensor is for people who want to try the experimental 360 degree and Roomscale stuff.

Okay I was hoping that wasn't the case because that would make the Vive a more obvious choice :classiclol:

For just two base stations or whatever, that uses a total of two or three USB3.0 ports?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.wired.com/2016/12/oculus-touch-design/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Okay I was hoping that wasn't the case because that would make the Vive a more obvious choice :classiclol:

For just two base stations or whatever, that uses a total of two or three USB3.0 ports?

I think they managed to get the requirement for USB 3.0 down, but you still want to use them, if possible. It's 1 for the headset then 1 per sensor, I'm pretty sure it's more OK to have the sensors on USB 2 ports, and I think that's what they recommend for the "experimental" setup using 3 sensors at least (2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2)

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Spent the evening trying out alot of the Touch games. Dead n buried is amazing and i had no trouble finding other players.
Found a match in Unspoken and Ripcoil also very fast.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

All you Touch guys need to get over and play Onward. It's the game you've all been missing out on that you so desperately need in your lives.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why's that? The roomscale oculus total is 80$ more, but the quality is more than 80$ better IMO. Plus more/better software. Unless you have a huge playspace and want to use all of it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lemming posted:

I think they managed to get the requirement for USB 3.0 down, but you still want to use them, if possible. It's 1 for the headset then 1 per sensor, I'm pretty sure it's more OK to have the sensors on USB 2 ports, and I think that's what they recommend for the "experimental" setup using 3 sensors at least (2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2)

Nice! I broke down and ordered a Rift from Amazon and the controllers from Oculus' site. I can't wait to get VR sweaty.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

My review after 20 minutes of Touch:

This is the greatest toy in the history of the world

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

All you Touch guys need to get over and play Onward. It's the game you've all been missing out on that you so desperately need in your lives.

It's pretty great and the locomotion works pretty well, I didn't feel any hint of motion sickness at all. It is very rough around the edges though, so don't go in expecting a polished experience. I'm looking forward to trying it with the Touch controls since my Vive controllers seem pretty janky with the touchpads, certain areas I'll press on to try to run and it acts like there's no input so I have to aim my arm in weird directions to walk where I want, I'm hoping the analog stick works better for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fooz posted:

Why's that? The roomscale oculus total is 80$ more, but the quality is more than 80$ better IMO. Plus more/better software. Unless you have a huge playspace and want to use all of it.

I was hoping there would be some technicality that forced me on one side of the fence or the other, but looks like I have enough USB 3 ports. I caved and went with the Rift anyway, those controllers just look too nice.