Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ola posted:

Do you buy it in snack bars or on the sidewalk?

It's usually served on plates no ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Data Graham posted:

No

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Chip forks??

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Well this happened: http://jalopnik.com/you-can-now-stream-seasons-2-through-17-of-top-gear-on-1789627435

Seasons 2-17 of top gear on amazon prime. Probably the DVD music version, but still.
Dude. Netflix can kiss it. :suspense: I'll be seeing you all in Baghdad Irbil.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 6, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, the best fish'n'chips are in Mallaig, right by the station. Freshest possible fish, and godlike chips.

So. loving. Good.

But do they have the best scraps? God I wish they sold those by themselves in the US

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I think it's normal to buy it as takeaway. You just drive up, get a serving of fish & fries, pop it in the trunk and off you go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like little walk up restaurant things.

Best fish n chips in the world are in Edinburgh, though.
Details please, going there in 2 weeks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Best fish n chips in the world are in Edinburgh, though.

LOL No. South Coast NSW, where they basically catch the fish and slam it on the grill still wiggling, it's that fresh.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Youre all wrong. Arthur Treacher's, in Euclid Ohio, right next to the catholic church.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
The best fish and chips in the world was in Port Stephens, NSW but you can't get it anymore. The takeaway still operates in the same location but it's gone through so many hands and name changes and it's not the same anymore.

Speaking of which, shoutouts to Desas in Newie.

Data Graham posted:

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ola posted:

I think it's normal to buy it as takeaway. You just drive up, get a serving of fish & fries, pop it in the trunk and off you go.

Yeah. I was trying to play off "the sidewalk" but :saddowns:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Fish is disgusting :saddowns:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Measly Twerp posted:

Fish is disgusting :saddowns:

This is a guy who gets it. Leave it to the Brits to be in love with disgusting food. I'm surprised fish and chips doesn't come with beans on it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

This is a guy who gets it. Leave it to the Brits to be in love with disgusting food. I'm surprised fish and chips doesn't come with beans on it.

Well it does come with mushy peas :v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cod and halibut are alright, I can understand not particularly liking them, but calling salmon disgusting? :psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jehde posted:

Cod and halibut are alright, I can understand not particularly liking them, but calling salmon disgusting? :psyduck:

Fish is pretty easy to gently caress up, especially salmon. If it's overcooked, it's disgusting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am glad that the guys explained what "jet" was, since I'm pretty sure most people who use the term "jet black" think it just means "extremely black", and are wondering when they can buy a "jet white" iPhone

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Data Graham posted:

I am glad that the guys explained what "jet" was, since I'm pretty sure most people who use the term "jet black" think it just means "extremely black", and are wondering when they can buy a "jet white" iPhone

I knew it was a very black rock/mineral, but didn't know it was just polished coal. It was a very interesting segment!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Data Graham posted:

I am glad that the guys explained what "jet" was, since I'm pretty sure most people who use the term "jet black" think it just means "extremely black"

:aaaaa:

Things I never knew.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

Yes but what the hell is jet white? The wikipedia article for Jet simply says it can be black or dark brown and sometimes has pyrite in it. When does it become white?

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
I had fish n' chips twice last week. Once in Yorkshire and once in Lancaster.

Had mushy peas and did one cod and one halibut.

Cod wins and Lancaster was superior.

Also is it Lancashire or Lancaster because that poo poo got confusing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Yes but what the hell is jet white? The wikipedia article for Jet simply says it can be black or dark brown and sometimes has pyrite in it. When does it become white?

That's my point, it doesn't. But people probably think it does because they're misinterpreting the term.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xelkelvos posted:

But do they have the best scraps? God I wish they sold those by themselves in the US
You can get a cardboard boat full of them at Long John Silver's if you ask for an order of 'krums'.

mythadile posted:

Lancaster is in Lancashire. Think of Lancs as a state and Lancaster as the capital. And Ned Stark is from Yorkshire.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mythadile posted:

Rudimentary googling says that Lancashire is the county and Lancaster is the city

Ether Frenzy posted:

You can get a cardboard boat full of them at Long John Silver's if you ask for an order of 'krums'.

:aaaaa:

Using that I also found out how to get them a Captain D's since there's more of those where I live.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Youre all wrong. Arthur Treacher's, in Euclid Ohio, right next to the catholic church.

This post is so wrong it hurts. It is causing physical pain from sheer wrongness. Because everyone knows nothing good ever comes from Ohio.

But if you insist in getting fish and chips from a chip shop not in the UK, there is at least one city in the US with a couple places that serve passable baskets:

http://www.horsebrass.com
http://www.thefishandchipshop.com
(bonus that they also both have favourites such as shepherd's pie, bubble & squeak, scotch eggs, and bangers and mash)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is it really hard to get fried fish or something?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

KakerMix posted:

Is it really hard to get fried fish or something?

It's really not, people from a certain generally irrelevant island in the north atlantic like to pretend that they're the only ones who can do certain things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HotCanadianChick posted:

But if you insist in getting fish and chips from a chip shop not in the UK, there is at least one city in the US with a couple places that serve passable baskets:

The truth is that the UK does terrible fish and chips. As already claimed, coastal NSW blows that pathetic soggy mass away and I can well believe the USA have plenty of places that poo poo on the "best" the UK has on offer.

The fish and chips in the UK may suck but the bangers and mash doesnt. That's genuinely good.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I spent the better part of the year in the UK and remember not having a single good meal. Actually I would say my best meal was some random fish and chips place, but that was only after months of desperation. A literal poo poo sandwich would probably taste good after not eating well for long enough

I imagine this (and the popularity of strong curry) is because of their mouths taste like tooth decay or the bad weather wreaks havoc with their sinuses.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 6, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Lots of landlocked states in the US have mediocre to poor cooked fish. Conversely, lots of coastal states near sources of fresh fish have wonderful seafood. Living in Rhode Island I gorged myself on fish all the time.

Funny thing is, on more than one occasion I've been able to find decent sushi in areas of the country where restaurants can't give you cooked fish that doesn't taste freezer burned. :wtc::iiam:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 6, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, well, at least we have the best faggots. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's like 30 michelin starred chefs from the UK. Two of the best meals I've ever had in my life were in England, and I have lived in Chicago, NYC and LA. You can get a delicious ready-made meal from any grocery store (M&S wins of course), or even an edible sandwich from goddamn Boots. There are Pizza Expresses every 100 yards. I have had exactly one 'honestly bad' meal in the UK and that was at the Wendy's in Heathrow's arrivals.

Fish pie at the Inn at Whitewell isn't even in my 2 best meals there and god-drat that's some good food.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's like 30 michelin starred chefs from the UK. Two of the best meals I've ever had in my life were in England, and I have lived in Chicago, NYC and LA. You can get a delicious ready-made meal from any grocery store (M&S wins of course), or even an edible sandwich from goddamn Boots. There are Pizza Expresses every 100 yards. I have had exactly one 'honestly bad' meal in the UK and that was at the Wendy's in Heathrow's arrivals.

Fish pie at the Inn at Whitewell isn't even in my 2 best meals there and god-drat that's some good food.

Are we talking like

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think we need to steer this back on the educational track.

Hands up everyone who understands you're meant to eat a nice bit of cheese with fruit cake?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

InitialDave posted:

fruit cake?

What did you just call me??

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

and I have lived in Chicago, NYC and LA

Oh god i am so sorry :stonk:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

InitialDave posted:

Hands up everyone who understands you're meant to eat a nice bit of cheese with fruit cake?

Fruit cake is something other than a punchline for an unwanted Christmas present?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I think we need to steer this back on the educational track.

Trick question. Everyone understands you're not meant to eat fruit cake. Ever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Data Graham posted:

That's my point, it doesn't. But people probably think it does because they're misinterpreting the term.

It's been misused like that long enough that it's accepted. Some people say jet blonde to mean platinum blonde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The truth is that the UK does terrible fish and chips. As already claimed, coastal NSW blows that pathetic soggy mass away and I can well believe the USA have plenty of places that poo poo on the "best" the UK has on offer.

I had fish and chips for 15 pounds at Heathrow because I felt like doing a British thing for my two hours on British soil and it was garbage with soggy batter and I hated it.

Then I had a "fish and chips tapa" in Granada and it was crisp, delicious, and prepared by someone who was not obviously inbred. Spain wins.