Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SeANMcBAY posted:

ED 2013 was a fine modern horror movie but it would have been better if it wasn't an ED remake, if that makes sense.

Yeah. If it had just had another name then it would have just been a good horror that kind of vaguely ripped off Evil Dead's premise but took it in a way more straight direction. It wouldn't have the burden of being compared to Ash, The Evil, or Deadites.

Of course it also wouldn't have carried the attention of being an Evil Dead remake and might have just been lost in the mess of generic horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Referencing back to the future 2 was probably my favorite reference in this episide, tbh. Nerdy reference AND explain time travel risks in one efficient dialogue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite things about the Evil is that the Deadites COULD easily take out Ash by just retaining human form while he's beating the poo poo out of them in front of horrified onlookers, so that they'd think he was crazy and take him away (or shoot him or something). But that's just not as much FUN as popping out as a Deadite and hearing everybody gasp in horror, then getting to throw down with Ash :allears:

Meanwhile Baal did try to pull some clever variation on that which was his big mistake, because Ash is too stupid for clever to really work on him :)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Deadites always seemed more interested in just creating chaos and with no clear direction. So I never even concerned myself with the idea of them not taking out Ash smarter because they really didn't seem to have a plan at all. That was another big difference with the remake because the demon(s) actually had an actual plan and reason to be killing people. Only the show really introduced that idea to Ash's world. Until Ruby/Baal it all seemed like just evil things loving around. Which is definitely part of what made the Evil Dead franchise unique.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Deadites are pretty much joyriding teenagers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People complain that remakes should try and do something different instead of just rehashing the original but then when remakes actually try and have a different tone or approach then people complain that it's too different and not true to the original. :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

People complain that remakes should try and do something different instead of just rehashing the original but then when remakes actually try and have a different tone or approach then people complain that it's too different and not true to the original. :shrug:

Quote one person who said that in this thread

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I get it in this case since a good remake/sequel/reboot should stick to the idea/spirit of the franchise even if it finds a new way to approach it and ED 2013 didn't do that at all. It abandoned the chaotic nature of Deadites and whacked out dark humor for a much more straight forward demonic plan plot. It basically took the loose outline of Evil Dead without keeping the tone.

Like I said, I think its a good movie on its own but its an arguably poor sequel or whatever part of the franchise its supposed to be.

Although, again, I like to look at it as what happens if normal hosed up people encounter Deadites instead of Ash Williams. And Baal and Ruby help make the whole "Wait, they have a plan?" thing fit better.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Well I get it in this case since a good remake/sequel/reboot should stick to the idea/spirit of the franchise even if it finds a new way to approach it and ED 2013 didn't do that at all. It abandoned the chaotic nature of Deadites and whacked out dark humor for a much more straight forward demonic plan plot. It basically took the loose outline of Evil Dead without keeping the tone.

Like I said, I think its a good movie on its own but its an arguably poor sequel or whatever part of the franchise its supposed to be.

Although, again, I like to look at it as what happens if normal hosed up people encounter Deadites instead of Ash Williams. And Baal and Ruby help make the whole "Wait, they have a plan?" thing fit better.

It's probably yet another case of a random generic haunted house script getting turned into whichever IP the execs figured would be the best fit wrt earning tons of money.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Best show on TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Deadites are pretty much joyriding teenagers.

Haha, I was thinking that a trip up to possess a human and gently caress with Ash is probably the closest thing these guys get to a holiday, but I like the idea of them being joyriding teenagers even more :)

Also I'm having trouble thinking of a funnier line this year than,"I'm gonna make like a tree.... AND gently caress YOU!" :lol:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I was thinking that a trip up to possess a human and gently caress with Ash is probably the closest thing these guys get to a holiday, but I like the idea of them being joyriding teenagers even more :)

Also I'm having trouble thinking of a funnier line this year than,"I'm gonna make like a tree.... AND gently caress YOU!" :lol:

A couple of my favorites from this season, mostly because of the delivery:

"Yes, I'm upset. Yes, I'm behind the wheel. Yes I'm drunk, and maybe my license isn't the fancy kind from the DMV, but at least I'm drunk!"

"I will gently caress! YOUR FACES! WITH BULLETS!...Too much?"

It's not a quote, but Ash covering the Ash puppet's mouth in the asylum when they are sneaking around deserves mention.

Best show on TV.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you guys think we'll get to see The Evil in its fully summoned form that showed up at the end of Evil Dead 2?

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

"Man you can really taste the angel dust."

I love this show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I donno, I think my favorite line is still "that's what I call cleavage" from last season for sheer sadistic & puntastic glee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And of course let's not forget:

"Not the butt! Not the butt...... ooooooaaahhhh I'm in the butt! :gonk:"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jerusalem posted:

And of course let's not forget:

"Not the butt! Not the butt...... ooooooaaahhhh I'm in the butt! :gonk:"

Number one, never say "rear end" or "hole" in my presence ever again. Got it?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Number one, never say "rear end" or "hole" in my presence ever again. Got it?

Next week, I want Kelly to call Henrietta an rear end in a top hat, with Ash slightly shuddering in the background.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How on earth does this show keep on getting better? Like, I'm sure it should be impossible but it tops itself so regularly.

Best thing on TV in decades.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Jerusalem posted:

Ruby after the tree battle: "It could have been worse." :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zartosht posted:

Ruby after the tree battle: "It could have been worse." :v:

"I'm sorry you got branch-banged and died, sis :shrug:"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"I'm sorry you got branch-banged and died, sis :shrug:"

Speaking of Cheryl, what was Chet supposed to be doing in Cheryl's room when Ash caught him in there? Was he, uh, supposed to be spanking it while looking at her stuff?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

tbf to the evil dead remake, there are definitely some stuff which are hilarious but played out straight by the actors (the guy who read from the book being almost terminator-like unkillable until it's thematically important for him to die, and the male lead confusedly patting his body gently as he lets it float away in the water), but it does seem to lack some of the manic action of the other evil deads until perhaps the climatic fight at the end

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I thought the remake was hilariously nasty. It played it kinda straight on the face but the timing and over the top cruelty was right out of ED2 and I found it to be a delight.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I thought the remake was hilariously nasty. It played it kinda straight on the face but the timing and over the top cruelty was right out of ED2 and I found it to be a delight.

Wasn't there a plan at some point to unify the two universes?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I kind of felt the same way. At the start of the movie, it feels as though the horror is being played straight, but by the end it FELT like ED despite not having the exact same type of humor

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Well, this *did* happen after the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mYGWmQ7fc

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Yes, Ash vs Evil Dead was originally the name of the movie before they turned it into the name for the TV Show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. If it had just had another name then it would have just been a good horror that kind of vaguely ripped off Evil Dead's premise but took it in a way more straight direction. It wouldn't have the burden of being compared to Ash, The Evil, or Deadites.

Of course it also wouldn't have carried the attention of being an Evil Dead remake and might have just been lost in the mess of generic horrors.

Definitely one of those rare movies/games/etc that I'd rate "Good movie, terrible sequel." There's a handful of them that are eluding me for some reason this second.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I wonder if the whole "earth-shattering secret"-thing that Brock was about to tell Ash will come up again.

I mean, I'd totally understand if it didn't - that whole scene was text-book parody - but it would be interesting if it did.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I just got the watch that last episode tonight and I cannot put into words my glee as it unfolded. The AoD references, the time travel, the 80's. Ash coping with Pablo's death by getting drunk/high and driving recklessly while loving Cutting Crew plays.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was rewatching the first episode and never realized the bum they showed in the last episode, the guy Ash gave booze to in the past, recognizes him and says Ash ruined his life.

This god drat show.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I'm a little disappointed that Ash didn't go through with cutting off his leg, because you know he'd replace it with a chainsaw too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Ash didn't go through with cutting off his leg, because you know he'd replace it with a chainsaw too.

If it wasn't for how difficult that prosthetic would be to wear I'm sure he would have

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"I know, I'll suck the Evil out! Like a snakebite!"

Ash's ideas are so astoundingly, outlandishly bad that they wrap back around into brilliance. Like I imagine that half formed thing was supposed to be another Bad Ash and just was not prepared for the lengths Ash will go to for bad ideas.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also, Ruby's half offended, half flabbergasted "Absolutely not!" when he pointed at the time travel spell. You have to wonder if she even knew it existed before then. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

I was rewatching the first episode and never realized the bum they showed in the last episode, the guy Ash gave booze to in the past, recognizes him and says Ash ruined his life.

This god drat show.
Quoting this so I'll know to look for this when I'm rewatching the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

"I know, I'll suck the Evil out! Like a snakebite!"

Ash's ideas are so astoundingly, outlandishly bad that they wrap back around into brilliance. Like I imagine that half formed thing was supposed to be another Bad Ash and just was not prepared for the lengths Ash will go to for bad ideas.

He's pretty much a hilarious parody of the know it all good at everything chosen one plotline used in so many movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the whole finale was great but i think what clinched it was the straight up star wars ghosts at the end

bump_fn fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 11, 2016

• Locked thread