Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Keycard economy" my rear end. I've lost count of how many times we get zero keycards. Only makes things take longer.

:raise: I've never heard of getting zero keycards before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Same. Not being able to find them isn't the same as them not spawning. As far as I know, three are guaranteed to spawn and there are chances for more based on a dice roll.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There is always one guaranteed to spawn inside the operations room on one of the desks or on one of the computer terminals next to the room Hoxton hides in.

Even if you didn't know all the other spawns that one is always super easy to find. :shrug:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, you're definitely gonna see three cards. One spawns in the initial checkpoint area, one in the operations room, and one in either forensics, the director's office, or the atrium. There's an additional 50% chance another card spawns anywhere but upstairs, and a 50% chance one spawns upstairs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:shrug: I feel like I know all the places to look having done the heist so many times and I am usually playing with people who are also good lookers and I know for sure that we have gone without finding them. Maybe I just need to git gud though so whatever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

:shrug: I feel like I know all the places to look having done the heist so many times and I am usually playing with people who are also good lookers and I know for sure that we have gone without finding them. Maybe I just need to git gud though so whatever.

There are a couple of spawns that aren't all that visible at a glance, but you either have to be unlucky enough to get every single one of those at once or someone isn't being thorough/missing entire spawn zones.

A cheat sheet off the top of my head:

Security checkpoint: On the shelf inside the station itself, in the X-ray pan on the conveyor belt, or balanced on the X-ray controls (easily missed since it'll be behind you as you pass by).
Reception: Right on the main counter, on the shelf underneath inside, or in the cubby towards the back right.
Atrium: On any of the benches along the perimeter. I don't know if they've since changed it, but sometimes a card would show up in one of the potted plants. I think I've personally seen it happen exactly once in however many times I've done HoxBreak.
Outside Archives: On the part of the counter against the wall, basically right where a package often spawns. I don't remember off the top of my head if they fixed this one to actually be visible instead of jammed into the geometry.
Operations: Check every desk, and also the tops and keyboards of the big terminals right in front of Hoxton.
Forensics: Check every desk, I believe sometimes they can be in or on the organizers rather than on the desktops themselves.
Director's Office: On the director's desk, on the cabinet behind his desk, on a chair immediately outside his office, on the desk in the little side office, or on top of the filing cabinet in the little side office (very easy to miss).
Upstairs: Chance to be on either one of the desks or hanging out of the open filing cabinet in the glass-enclosed office.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are you sure your teammates aren't just grabbing keycards and wasting them on opening the upstairs levels immediately?

(You are legally allowed to harm them if they're doing this on any difficulty above Overkill.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Opening the upstairs can be worth it if you get stuck with the closed doors between Ops and Forensics or want to thoroughly lock down the lovely server room power box directly under the balcony.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
but let's be honest it's mostly there so hyper-violent assholes like me can get closer to the prey animals

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

"Keycard economy" my rear end. I've lost count of how many times we get zero keycards. Only makes things take longer.

I've found keycards in pots before. I think they're either in weird places or some sort of desync wizardry is causing issues.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolguye posted:

but let's be honest it's mostly there so hyper-violent assholes like me can get closer to the prey animals

How else are you gonna melee the snipers up there? :getin:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Plan Z posted:

Did a hard drive retrieval recently, and rescued some thread gems that I missed:

(From Fellis)

I don't see the taser

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

spit on my clit posted:

I don't see the taser

I never do, either.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Those loving roof tasers on Safehouse Raid. Most people still don't know they're there.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

Did a hard drive retrieval recently, and rescued some thread gems that I missed:

(From Fellis)

This is why you get shockproof ace.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

oohhboy posted:

This is why you get shockproof ace.

Losing the animation for shocking the poo poo out the dudes was a tragedy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren:Georgia van Cuylenberg's fundraiser was fulfilled!:siren:

Discendo Vox posted:

An article from a former Starbreeze employee on dynamic level design. He designed HoxBreak day 2. Nothing groundbreaking for us, but some insight into the design process and vocabulary at overkill.
This guy (who has left starbreeze on amicable terms, as far as I can tell), is answering a couple questions on reddit.

He was also responsible for:

quote:

... In chronological order: Escapes (sorry), Rats 2, Election Day 1-3, Hoxton Breakout 2, The Diamond, Hoxton Revenge, Point Break Heists, Biker Heist Train (co-designed). Plus some little bits here and there.

So these are a number of the more complex and well-made heists, though I'd note that he favors one-tiered randomization.

On why he left:

quote:

I had been there for almost 4 years and I felt the time was right for a change. Boring answer, I know. I did disagre with stuff like stat boosts, hype fuel, the diamond pricing etc but those were, overall, just little speedbumps. It was great working there.

I'm going to ask him what his biggest mapping challenge was, and if content was cut during development of The Diamond.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 5, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

His remarks on the original version of Breaking Ballot make me think that stuff was almost certainly dummied out of The Diamond.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

UnknownMercenary posted:

His remarks on the original version of Breaking Ballot make me think that stuff was almost certainly dummied out of The Diamond.

The layout of those shelves in the Archives has me 99% certain that you were originally going to rifle through them like in Golden Grin and Hoxbreak. The level's layout is also crazy lopsided, with almost nothing in the basement. (Also the leaks mean I absolutely know a bunch of basement stuff was cut, but I want him to fill folks in on details).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

spit on my clit posted:

I don't see the taser

Billmaster Cozb was downed!

below the gun

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

spit on my clit posted:

I don't see the taser

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This game has lovely netcode.

https://gfycat.com/DownrightBlindHydra

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fellis posted:

Billmaster Cozb was downed!

below the gun

huh, so the taser is real

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Headsup- if you want to get OD heists done, I recommend doing Birth of Sky in short order. It's another heist where scripted spawns weren't properly implemented for the new difficulties, so there are no spawns along the escape- and no Bulldozers in the sewers.

e: HoxBreak day 1 also has no dozer in the camera room, which is less of a big deal.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 6, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

E: NVM

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What gun is that that you are using?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: Oops, double post

Discendo Vox posted:

Headsup- if you want to get OD heists done, I recommend doing Birth of Sky in short order. It's another heist where scripted spawns weren't properly implemented for the new difficulties, so there are no spawns along the escape- and no Bulldozers in the sewers.
I'm surprised how well I did (not great, but didnt drag us down) on OD. I guess it helps when we found what we did on Birth of Sky.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

What gun is that that you are using?

Legendary M308.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

e: HoxBreak day 1 also has no dozer in the camera room, which is less of a big deal.

That certainly surprised me. I thought it was because the assault stopped nicely just as we entered the sewers. All in all, it wasn't as difficult as I thought and we got it done in one try.

We failed Beneath the Mountain 3-4 times until everyone equipped China Puffs, then it became trivial. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

On today's achievements, from Lolnoob1 on facepunch:

"It's not Holly or Heat Street, it's a new heist that involves beating up Santa, expensive wine, Turboman toys, and VR headsets among other things."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I killed 200 cops with my Loco with that lovely recon sight blocking half my screen last night and didn't get the achievement. Do I have to be aiming down the sight?

I've got a Krinkov akimbo build I do for fun. I need something accurate for long ranges since you can't really do that with akimbo. Would I be crazy to take the Arbiter for that? It would be nice to have for shields too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I killed 200 cops with my Loco with that lovely recon sight blocking half my screen last night and didn't get the achievement. Do I have to be aiming down the sight?

You do not. Explosive (and probably fire) kills don't count, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weird. I don't think I threw a single grenade. Does the Pocohud counter include assists or something? Do specials not count?

Now that I have Fast And Furious, silencer damage skill, and Overkill, it's wonderful being able to drop an OK dozer in 3 shots again. I get that Mayhem and DW are where the cool kids are, but OK is fun just to be an unstoppable killing machine.

I do think that at my level I'm able to start running Mayhem, though. I forgot I didn't have silencer skills last time and was pretty underpowered, especially my AMR-16. It's weird having to use multiple shots to kill a normal cop with that thing and a DMR kit.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Poco kill counter may be broken. I remember Zoid saying I had like 300 kills about 2 minutes into a Big Bank run, recently.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Plan Z posted:

Poco kill counter may be broken. I remember Zoid saying I had like 300 kills about 2 minutes into a Big Bank run, recently.

Yeah, it's broken - been for a while. It has huge problems with other players, it's usually okay-ish with your own (but never 100%)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Weird. I don't think I threw a single grenade. Does the Pocohud counter include assists or something? Do specials not count?

Now that I have Fast And Furious, silencer damage skill, and Overkill, it's wonderful being able to drop an OK dozer in 3 shots again. I get that Mayhem and DW are where the cool kids are, but OK is fun just to be an unstoppable killing machine.

I do think that at my level I'm able to start running Mayhem, though. I forgot I didn't have silencer skills last time and was pretty underpowered, especially my AMR-16. It's weird having to use multiple shots to kill a normal cop with that thing and a DMR kit.

Overkill is absolutely where the cool kids are. DW, Mayhem and OD are for horrible people like me who feel incomplete without 100% completion.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Excuse me but I think you'll find that I am a perfectly nice and cool person who is just bad with their money :colbert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

Can confirm. I did a 25 bag Cook Off with Vox and someone else (forgive me for forgetting your name.) And Poco was saying he'd gotten 1500+ kills to my 700 or so, and Vox's 400ish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Can confirm. I did a 25 bag Cook Off with Vox and someone else (forgive me for forgetting your name.) And Poco was saying he'd gotten 1500+ kills to my 700 or so, and Vox's 400ish.

That was chairface, and fwiw those values were pretty accurate. He ended the heist with ~1700 kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can also confirm that OVK is maximum funhaver mode. Sometimes when I hate myself I bump up to Mayhem once I have a chunk of levels under my belt and start pubstoving. Had to drag a Hotline Miami day 2 back from the brink, also I haven't played this game in about half a year so being able to shout down cops without having the skill is great.