Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

deadgoon posted:

not to be a sjw but slavery was pretty racist imo

The hottest take.
:popeye:

paranoid randroid posted:

man remember when LF got him demodded?

~memories~

He was humorous on occasion, but grew increasingly insufferable as time went on. I was not sad to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Well What Now posted:

welcome back paranoid randroid

thanks i had to spend a few weeks in a Lovecraftian insane asylum upon realizing that Bill Mitchell was Right, but i think im better nftagn

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

That's luddite thinking. The better way is to say, hey now instead of having to sit on your rear end for 12 hours a day in your truck. You can sit on your rear end for 12 hours a day from the comfort of your home because we are going to implement a GMI and UHC with all the savings automation will give us.

I know 'culture' is a term that gets thrown around when people want to say 'I don't want to talk about the materialist reality of something' sometimes, but I think a big problem with getting people to buy in to GMI is that we do have a society that's been structured around the idea that you are going to spend most all of your adult life working, and that in some meaningful ways your value and worth are driven off of that...and I suspect GMI advocates need to provide a vision of what the world looks like in this almost post-labor world that isn't an episode of TNG.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

look forget the muslims and mexicans or whatever for a second, the real question is: when are we going to do something about the dutch

Pretty sure gloabal warming is going to drown them all.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lol at Pon de Bundy start AV drama way back when

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

thanks i had to spend a few weeks in a Lovecraftian insane asylum upon realizing that Bill Mitchell was Right, but i think im better nftagn

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
My favriote SA troll will always be taint reaper in games, he was taken down for good because he join a twitter hate bomb to a female dev for being a scapegoat for localizing anime video games that remove creepy anime tropes.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

:same:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

*gibbers softly*

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyron posted:

My favriote SA troll will always be taint reaper in games, he was taken down for good because he join a twitter hate bomb to a female dev for being a scapegoat for localizing anime video games that remove creepy anime tropes.

It's about ethics in vagina bones.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've awakened to a new horror where "Aside from polls, show me evidence Hillary is winning" makes... sense. It makes sense. It all makes sense.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

look forget the muslims and mexicans or whatever for a second, the real question is: when are we going to do something about the dutch

Spare Thijs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I know 'culture' is a term that gets thrown around when people want to say 'I don't want to talk about the materialist reality of something' sometimes, but I think a big problem with getting people to buy in to GMI is that we do have a society that's been structured around the idea that you are going to spend most all of your adult life working, and that in some meaningful ways your value and worth are driven off of that...and I suspect GMI advocates need to provide a vision of what the world looks like in this almost post-labor world that isn't an episode of TNG.
sure
-actually being able to properly raise children instead of hope they don't manage to peruse the various hazards that lay within your house while you work
-more time to pursue personal projects, mental stability or "spiritual" goals instead of having no time to get your psychological bearings letting dissatisfaction with your achievements and/or mental illness fester because you can't make psych appointments
-expand porfolio of useful skills not being tied down to one job because it's the only way to pay rent in gentrified megacity

this is actually easier than it looks.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah but that just makes him a degenerate who gave up his humanity for power and knowledge

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cool preview of the purge

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

"Ha, all these dumb libertarians think they're going to be the next Rockefeller when their crazy ideas are implemented!"

*starts picking out a street samurai wardrobe for the cyberpunk future, is murdered by an angry mob for $10 worth of Top Ramen*

stop copying my 5 year plan without crediting me for it thx

Serf
May 5, 2011

So how do we go about explaining the idea of being a post-labor society and UBI to people who've been raised to believe that work is pretty much the endgame of life? The conditioning is hard to break. I believe in the welfare state but I caught myself just the other day thinking "but not me, I'll always have a job and not be a burden on society" and I remembered that was a pretty hosed up way of thinking and I should know better. If that poo poo still happens to me, how do we reach people who are even less inclined to be open to welfare?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
okay first of all it isnt a street samurai costume, its a mage costume. second,

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

okay first of all it isnt a street samurai costume, its a mage costume. second,

(walks into emergecy room with bloody rebar sticking out of forearm and sunglasses stapled to face) I NEED A DOCTOR I NEED A DOCTOR I NEED A DOCTOR

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

So how do we go about explaining the idea of being a post-labor society and UBI to people who've been raised to believe that work is pretty much the endgame of life? The conditioning is hard to break. I believe in the welfare state but I caught myself just the other day thinking "but not me, I'll always have a job and not be a burden on society" and I remembered that was a pretty hosed up way of thinking and I should know better. If that poo poo still happens to me, how do we reach people who are even less inclined to be open to welfare?
another eldritch horror is that somehow there are a lot of people who believe "work is the endgame of life" and "wanting a way to have to not work in the form of retirement" are not things that are direct contradictions

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al! posted:

(walks into emergecy room with bloody rebar sticking out of forearm and sunglasses stapled to face) I NEED A DOCTOR I NEED A DOCTOR I NEED A DOCTOR

doc ya gotta help, they geeked me first

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Serf posted:

When they refuse welfare they'll die and wont perpetuate that thought.

I'll get back to you on a real answer.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Serf posted:

first a massive wpa/ccc program to rebuild America's infrastructure over 10-15 years and then rollout universal ubi as a final payment to lessen the transition shock

idk really it's the hardest part the ubi fans haven't come up with a good answer besides more education and propaganda

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

doc ya gotta help, they geeked me first

sir this says you aren't paid up on yer doc wagon subscription but just slot yer credstick here and you should be good to go chummer, for additional set of fees of course

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Alternatively, check out The Wages of Destruction for something that may plausibly occur

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Al! posted:

sir this says you aren't paid up on yer doc wagon subscription but just slot yer credstick here and you should be good to go chummer, for additional set of fees of course

I can't believe we're getting shadowrun with a lovely internet and no magic

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Meme magic is real bro

Please meme Angela into remaining Chancellor and prevent our dark future

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grondoth posted:

william gibson was right. he was fuckin right

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

make ubi memes and all will fall into place

Serf
May 5, 2011

I guess one line of reasoning for UBI could be "Corporations shipped our jobs to slaves overseas, and then when they couldn't do that, they replaced us with machines. If they're not interested in actually employing us, why should we feel bad for taxing them so that we can live?"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

I guess one line of reasoning for UBI could be "Corporations shipped our jobs to slaves overseas, and then when they couldn't do that, they replaced us with machines. If they're not interested in actually employing us, why should we feel bad for taxing them so that we can live?"

Sell it as. THOSE ELITES GAVE THE JOBS TO MACHINES AND THE CHINESE? SHOULDN"T THEY PAY YOU FOR THAT CRIME?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm down for providing ubi/uhc first and then seeing where it goes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

I'm down for providing ubi/uhc first and then seeing where it goes.

Fallow it by forcing all companies to sell shares to their employees. :getin:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i promise you, if my survival is paid for i can do a whole lot of not working with that time. i'll be the best non job haver, you all will be so impressed with my comparative dignity, for a non worker.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like physical labour and if you gave me the option of making my current salary spending 20 hours a week digging ditches and getting to say I dug that ditch I would probably be a good bit happier with my life than I am right now. And I am happier at my newest job than my last because I actually make something and get to say it helps people.

Oddly enough for all the drugs and sex you guys mentioned, there is a huge portion of burners who attend burns and spend the whole time engaged in largely thankless labour because it is both consequence free and and a meaningful contribution to the experience of others. I have never been to Burning Man because who can afford that, but I do attend local burns and I am admittedly one of those people.

If you want to look at what sort of things could keep people busy and happy in a post capitalist Basic Income society, I think Burns actually have a lot to offer as a point of reference.

Also yeah, there lots of drugs and sex, but lmao if you dont think that wouldnt be the same for society at large if they suddenly found themselves in posession of financial security and ample free time

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it's not like there's nothing we can do besides ubi, it can be combined with infrastructure investment

america currently has D+ from the american society of civil engineers http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/ and needs roughly about 3.6 trillion in spending

that's roughly four times the amount of obama's stimulus and would probably help every single community in the nation. it would a decade plus project with well paying jobs

we can borrow the loving money at negative interest rates, there's absolutely no reason to not do i...oh wait neoliberalism

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it's really cool to read this report as they try to dance around how much everything is gonna fall apart catastrophically

quote:

Levees: Levees again earned a near failing grade of D- in 2013. The nation’s estimated 100,000 miles of levees can be found in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Many of these levees were originally used to protect farmland, and now are increasingly protecting developed communities. The reliability of these levees is unknown in many cases, and the country has yet to establish a National Levee Safety Program. Public safety remains at risk from these aging structures, and the cost to repair or rehabilitate these levees is roughly estimated to be $100 billion by the National Committee on Levee Safety. However, the return on investment is clear – as levees helped in the prevention of more than $141 billion in flood damages in 2011.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

okay first of all it isnt a street samurai costume, its a maga costume. second,

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want an excellent example of why the democratic establishment is garbage for babies and Florida is hell the Brevard County Democrats canceled tomorrows reorganizing/rebuilding meeting that I flew down here for because the rich couple hosting had to fly back to NY. loving kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

that is florida as gently caress

• Locked thread