Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kumail's episode was good. It's probably the tv program Darin Morgan will ever write, and the ultimate culmination of his weird existentialist horror worldview. He will be studied by future generations alongside Terrence Malick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

He posted to a reddit that was about the podcast that he felt weird continuing after working with so many of the people involved in making the show. I think it's over because of the revival, which Kumail was one of the earliest public proponents of, actually. Maybe the earliest.

Yeah.
Not to mention the fact that Kumail publicly criticized the X files episode with the Muslim plot. So it would be pretty awkward to bring back the podcast and somehow not deal with the fact that he was in season 10, that season 10 sucked, and that he personally took issue with one of the episodes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He should say something. That episode was racist horseshit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't Fox still trying to do another season of X-Files? I can only hope that Chris Carter's influence is somehow reduced. Even if it's just not letting him write any episode on his own.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love the X-files but season 10 was one of the worst bits of television I've ever seen. I'd prefer they just let it stay dead at this point.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't Fox still trying to do another season of X-Files? I can only hope that Chris Carter's influence is somehow reduced. Even if it's just not letting him write any episode on his own.

My understanding is that every person involved wants to do it but it is just a matter of scheduling. Given that the X-Files is not the main focus for most of them it could be a while.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My understanding is that every person involved wants to do it but it is just a matter of scheduling. Given that the X-Files is not the main focus for most of them it could be a while.

They wrote themselves into a hell of a pickle in that last episode. 6 episodes of fallout from that sounds dire, and leaves little room for the bread and butter of what actually made the show good in it's prime. Season 10 was already three seasons too far and some would say four, so I don't know. Hopefully the inevitable reboot is good?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

remusclaw posted:

They wrote themselves into a hell of a pickle in that last episode. 6 episodes of fallout from that sounds dire, and leaves little room for the bread and butter of what actually made the show good in it's prime. Season 10 was already three seasons too far and some would say four, so I don't know. Hopefully the inevitable reboot is good?
Season 7 of the X-Files has some of the lowest lows of the whole run but also has X-Cops, the Goldberg Variation, and the Great Maleeni.

I recently went to a friend's house and their X-Files DVD box sets caught my eye. Their collection stops at season 7.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'll be forever grateful for this last season because it inspired me to watch from the beginning. I had really forgotten just how goddam great this show was. Plus I realized that due to college and hearing it good bad I figure I must have stopped watching in season 4. In four episodes into season 5 so now I'm enjoying xfiles episodes that are both great and new to me.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Season 10's mytharc was worse than the wheel spinning that was season 9. Season 8 was still sort of entertaining even though it was reaching the point of total nonsense.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'd be perfectly happy with ten monster-of-the-week episodes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just saw Post-Modern Promoetheus for the first time.

:vince:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

I just saw Post-Modern Promoetheus for the first time.

:vince:
It's a really good episode but kind of unsettling that we're supposed to have sympathy for a man who impregnated most of the women in a town with animal-human hybrids without their consent in order to create a mate for his son.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I rewatched Jose Chung over the weekend... still a contender for my favorite episode of any show, ever.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

I rewatched Jose Chung over the weekend... still a contender for my favorite episode of any show, ever.

Make sure you also watch the Jose Chung episode of Millennium, if you haven't already.

In retrospect, Season 10 of the X Files makes Season 3 of Millennium look good.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's a really good episode but kind of unsettling that we're supposed to have sympathy for a man who impregnated most of the women in a town with animal-human hybrids without their consent in order to create a mate for his son.

Well, yeah. There is that. Still, it was an incredibly weird gamble that mostly hit big.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
My fiance and I have been rewatching the series, and have reached the end of season 6.

My new belief, after watching the episode Field Trip, is that they never got out of the giant mushroom/fungus thingie. Basically they're STILL in it, and everything that has happened in seasons 7-10 is all just part of the trip.

:colbert:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gravitee posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with ten monster-of-the-week episodes.

Yes, the Rhys Darbie were-human episode was IMO the best episode of the bunch, and I'd like more of them, and less mytharc please.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

PassTheRemote posted:

Yes, the Rhys Darbie were-human episode was IMO the best episode of the bunch, and I'd like more of them, and less mytharc please.

Absolutely. Get old writers, new writers, anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with Gris Garter to write all sorts of crazy poo poo.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

PassTheRemote posted:

After a decent amount of distance from watching season 10, that is the only episode I have positive thoughts about in it anymore. I have no idea how they are going to tie up the loose ends of that last ep though without a complete rear end pull about mass hysteria or something such.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The garbage man episode was a rock solid MOTW.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I actually somehow forgot about it, and it was pretty good. I don't hate the psychic twins episode either, but for some reason, neither of those really stayed with me. Wereman though, really liked it. Mytharc hadn't been good for a long time, and season 10 made it very clear that it wasn't something a little time off and some revisions could fix.

X Files is such a pre-apocalyptic show and actually going apocalyptic with it kind of ruins the entire premise. I don't know how you move on from a blatant alien invasion and still make more X-Files. I guess the point is that you don't, if you go apocalyptic at all it has got to be the end of the show, but they seem interested in continuing on an occasional basis so they have to have some idea, don't they?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 7, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Only problem I had with this episode was that they dealt with a tulpa before in... 7th season? The one where they go undercover as a married couple in the yuppie neighborhood where people who don't take care of their lawns get killed by the homeowner's association leader summoning a tulpa.

Really, I thought that Home Again and Founder's Mutation were very solid MOTW episodes with the only faults being that they both had too many shoehorned in Baby William references. My Struggle I was kind of ridiculous but as a return to the X-Files I was more than willing to role with the ridiculous melodrama of it, and the attempt to change the status quo of the Mytharc didn't bother me, it wasn't like the show hadn't tried to do that before. And the Were-Monster episode was a Darin Morgan episode with Rhys Darby and Kumail in it, so already at the top of the entire show.

Babylon was not just bad but offensive in a way that I'm honestly not sure any other episode of the show has been. At least it had the shroom sequence so I can at least rewatch that as a YouTube clip separate from the rest of the episode in the future.

If Babylon was more offensive than any of the original run episodes, My Struggle II was bad in a way that none of the original run episodes were,. Assuming that is actually the last ever X-Files episode it will go down with the finale of Dexter for absolute garbage ends.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Only problem I had with this episode was that they dealt with a tulpa before in... 7th season? The one where they go undercover as a married couple in the yuppie neighborhood where people who don't take care of their lawns get killed by the homeowner's association leader summoning a tulpa.

Really, I thought that Home Again and Founder's Mutation were very solid MOTW episodes with the only faults being that they both had too many shoehorned in Baby William references. My Struggle I was kind of ridiculous but as a return to the X-Files I was more than willing to role with the ridiculous melodrama of it, and the attempt to change the status quo of the Mytharc didn't bother me, it wasn't like the show hadn't tried to do that before. And the Were-Monster episode was a Darin Morgan episode with Rhys Darby and Kumail in it, so already at the top of the entire show.

Babylon was not just bad but offensive in a way that I'm honestly not sure any other episode of the show has been. At least it had the shroom sequence so I can at least rewatch that as a YouTube clip separate from the rest of the episode in the future.

If Babylon was more offensive than any of the original run episodes, My Struggle II was bad in a way that none of the original run episodes were,. Assuming that is actually the last ever X-Files episode it will go down with the finale of Dexter for absolute garbage ends.

Mulder's plot dump and continued association with the Right wing Conspiracy guy led me to believe early on that they were going with a Mulder is unstable story, and that you couldn't take any of what he was saying seriously anymore, but then they play it straight, and he's right, and I have no loving clue. I mean, Mulder is almost always right in his conclusion jumping, but he was so manic and long winded that I was certain it was meant to be the rantings of someone with way too much time on his hands and nothing productive to do except built a grand unifying theory of crazy.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

yeah i'd go along with this. i was willing to see where it went from ep1 but 5/6 were a trash fire and no one should be allowed to write this series except darin morgan.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Leaving where earth is long overdue for an alien 8nvasion but nothing ever shows up would have ebeen a great way to add in this creeping sense of dread of where they're going ti show up which would probably be a good way to mix the show with modern societal concerns but noooope they went full retard

Also they should have gone with the corrupt aliens hiding in our government as actual people now. Much like how Hillary was a reptilian irl

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even the shroom bit in Babylon was garbage because they wasted a Lone Gunmen cameo. Just terrible in every aspect.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Twist: the earth has already been colonized, we just don't realize it. Mulder is one of the few willing to speak out against these illegal space migrants and asylum seekers hiding on our planet, helped by not-Alex Jones and a shadowy powerful figure in the government known only as "The Donald"

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It turns out that the world was actually ended by the plague released at the end of Millennium season two and everything that's happened since in the shared Chris Carter universe has just been the dying hallucinations of its inhabitants.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Babylon was weird because when offensive things make it on TV these days they usually are making a point to do so and know their own politics.
It was such a bizarre mess of "hey we are all one human race" and Islamophobia.

It was the X-File's version of Crash.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So just to be clear is any depiction of Muslims engaging in terrorism an example of Islamophobia?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Any depiction of Muslims engaging in terrorism? No.
A depiction where every single Muslim, except one, is a terrorist and has no other defining characteristic other than being a terrorist? Now you are getting close.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Was Saving Private Ryan racist against Germans because every single one was portrayed as a Nazi soldier?

Of course not. It wasn't a story about "good" Germans, why waste time showing any? It would serve no narrative purpose.

Babylon was about a terror cell. There was no need demonstrate the full range of Muslim life in America. To its credit, Babylon at least made an effort to depict Islamophobic behavior on screen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ruh roh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ruuuuhhh rooohhhhhh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Files always had that well-meaning but stupid racism thing going on. If you see an asian, you better bet your rear end that some mystical knowledge or organized crime is coming your way. An old Jew? Here comes a golem and probably some holocaust talk. An American Indian? Fuuuuuuuck, you better buckle up.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

An American Indian? Fuuuuuuuck, you better buckle up.

Sooooo many magical medicine men

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Files always had that well-meaning but stupid racism thing going on. If you see an asian, you better bet your rear end that some mystical knowledge or organized crime is coming your way. An old Jew? Here comes a golem and probably some holocaust talk. An American Indian? Fuuuuuuuck, you better buckle up.

Yeah, it's that thing where no-one involved is trying to be racist, but they end up becoming so unintentionally due to a lack of cultural knowledge, which leads to falling back on the kind of stereotypes that look fairly regrettable with the passage of time.

And eventually you end up with a story about an Indian dwarf who likes to crawls up people's butts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Maelstache posted:

Yeah, it's that thing where no-one involved is trying to be racist, but they end up becoming so unintentionally due to a lack of cultural knowledge, which leads to falling back on the kind of stereotypes that look fairly regrettable with the passage of time.

And eventually you end up with a story about an Indian dwarf who likes to crawls up people's butts.

So just to be clear is any depiction of Indians crawling up people's butts an example of Indophobia?

Was Saving Private Ryan racist against Germans because every single one was portrayed as a Nazi soldier?

Of course not. It wasn't a story about "good" Germans, why waste time showing any? It would serve no narrative purpose.

Badlaa was about an Indian butt dweller. There was no need demonstrate the full range of Indian life in America. To its credit, Badlaa at least made an effort to depict indobuttdwellerophobia behavior on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

german isn't a race

• Locked thread