Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well toxic is still real harsh. But they don't let you inflict it at all basically. Maybe next dlc if they continue the tend of niche weapon abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Well toxic is still real harsh. But they don't let you inflict it at all basically. Maybe next dlc if they continue the tend of niche weapon abilities.

Toxic is 14hp/s which is less than 25% of what it did in DS2, but still twice as much as it did in DS1 (with the exception of blow-dart hollows). You can inflict it with pies and toxic mist, but good luck with that.

Maybe on next dlc we'll get something that actually applies it, like they did with Snap Freeze. Or something that deals more damage if the target is poisoned or toxic. Maybe a weapon that builds up curse now that it's just an instakill, but deals pretty poo poo damage? Getting the wax spell? Make Arstor's Spear apply maggots? Debuffs and status effects can be so fun and much more interesting than just standard nukes if you build around it, and I'd love to see it happen.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gravelord Sword 2.0. I miss that sword, while people wanted the drake sword, real nito people got the gravelord sword or a fire scythe before even touching the burg.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did anything in DS1 even inflict toxic other than the blow gunners?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

Did anything in DS1 even inflict toxic other than the blow gunners?

Dung Pie!

Also some enemies in the Painted World and the baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants. Also Nito

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Also Silver Tracer

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

New Concept Hole posted:

Dung Pie!

Also some enemies in the Painted World and the baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants. Also Nito

Those painted world fucks were annoying. They'd gas you when they died, and if you were mobbed by them accidentally, you more than likely got toxic'd.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AlternateNu posted:

Those painted world fucks were annoying. They'd gas you when they died, and if you were mobbed by them accidentally, you more than likely got toxic'd.

I think they didn't gas if you used fire on them, or at least they gassed in a smaller area.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Now that I've hit SL120 the greataxe is much worse than when I was invading with it. It seems like every other person is using a spear, or halberd and I can't get anywhere close to them to do any damage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Azuth0667 posted:

Now that I've hit SL120 the greataxe is much worse than when I was invading with it. It seems like every other person is using a spear, or halberd and I can't get anywhere close to them to do any damage.

Remember when the Mirdan Hammer was the OP weapon in DeS because it had reach, crushed shields, and had passive regen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

I think they didn't gas if you used fire on them, or at least they gassed in a smaller area.

Yeah, fire prevented the toxin. The area they affected was pretty small also so a long range weapon, or immediately rolling backwards when you killed one could help too. I don't know if the spider shield protected against it though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If you invade at all, the silvercat ring is probably the second most important ring in the game. Only the obscuring ring is important. So don't piss off Sirris until you have it!

Edit: Arguably the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring could be more important than the silvercat ring for invaders but it's a tossup.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Maleh-Vor posted:

It's weird how poison and toxic feel so lovely in this game, considering they do comparable damage to what they did in DS1. Maybe it's all the popular sources of regeneration that completely mitigate it or maybe buildups or resistances to it are higher, but it really seems worthless this time around. I think the impact was also shaped due to the first time you got toxic was usually off the blow-dart guys in Blighttown, where it did about 4 times as much damage as most other sources of Toxic. This is one of the things I prefer from Dark Souls II, where poison was just brutal and did 15 damage every half second.

I remember how fun it was to throw dung pies at people and watch them panic, and long for more poop-throwing.

The Storyteller Staff's WA poison ticks at 3x the rate of normal poison. It's great . . . if you can catch someone in it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AlternateNu posted:

Remember when the Mirdan Hammer was the OP weapon in DeS because it had reach, crushed shields, and had passive regen.

I wish :(. Console exclusives suck.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

AlternateNu posted:

Well let's not forget the ridiculous bullshit that was a S/S/-/A Meat Cleaver

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well let's not forget the ridiculous bullshit that was a S/S/-/A Meat Cleaver

Yup. I wanted to see the Dragon Bone Smasher make a come back since they brought back a couple other DeS-only weapons. That and something like the Dragon God boss fight because one super gimmicky fight per game is the exact right amount.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ancient wyrm is the gimmick fight

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Ancient wyrm is the gimmick fight

Ancient Wyvern's gimmick isn't obvious, though. That's my problem. If I wasn't already spoiled on the trick, I would've just died a million times until I got lucky enough to poke his rear end enough time for him to keel over.

With Dragon God, there was only one path, and you couldn't even hit it unless you had a bow, and I don't think you could carry enough arrows to kill it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Man I love this Crow Talons+Old Wolf Curved Sword build. In NG+4 I was able to one shot the Archives Crystal Sage before he could teleport with Power Within and Carthus Rouge. Then I used Iron Flesh and went toe to toe with the final Outrider Knight and emerged with literally 99% of my hp remaining due to the healing the combo gets, just mashed L1 straight through everything he tried to do. I've also been using a +5 Onislayer Greatbow and going Sniper Elite on a bunch of the more annoying encounters throughout this run and it's incredibly satisfying headshotting all the stupid crossbow hollows before they can spring their ambushes. Bows are fun when they are one-shot kills from halfway across the level. Even been getting a bit of Darkmoon action up here at SL 178 which has been pretty sweet.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AlternateNu posted:

Ancient Wyvern's gimmick isn't obvious, though. That's my problem. If I wasn't already spoiled on the trick, I would've just died a million times until I got lucky enough to poke his rear end enough time for him to keel over.

With Dragon God, there was only one path, and you couldn't even hit it unless you had a bow, and I don't think you could carry enough arrows to kill it.

Yhorm is also a gimmick fight. Fighting him without the gimmick would be kind of pointless.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

There were several other gimmick boss fights in Demon's Souls. Old Monk, Old Hero (although his gimmick isn't obvious at all), Storm Ruler, Maiden Astraea, etc.

Edit: forgot Fool's Idol.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Demon's Souls is the king of gimmick fights. The game has very few boss fight that are actually good by modern Souls standards. Which is to be expected since it was the start of the series and they still had a lot to figure out.

Almost every fight in that game could be considered gimmicky honestly. Penetrator, False King Allant, Flamelurker, and Maneaters are the only real straight up fights.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Maleh-Vor posted:

Yhorm is also a gimmick fight. Fighting him without the gimmick would be kind of pointless.

He's pretty fun without the Stormruler actually, if a bit simplistic. I just watched a SL1 NG+7 no Stormruler kill of him and it was faster than some Stormruler kills I've seen. If you do enough damage to his various limbs, he'll stagger and kneel down, at which point you can hit his head which takes much more damage and can be riposted/visceral-ed for even more damage. Apart from that he's a typical two phase fight and his attacks while embered are pretty freakin sweet. I get the feeling that it was intended that you be able to fight him normally and the Stormruler was originally intended as a bonus for completing Siegward's quest or something in that vein.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AttackBacon posted:

He's pretty fun without the Stormruler actually, if a bit simplistic. I just watched a SL1 NG+7 no Stormruler kill of him and it was faster than some Stormruler kills I've seen. If you do enough damage to his various limbs, he'll stagger and kneel down, at which point you can hit his head which takes much more damage and can be riposted/visceral-ed for even more damage. Apart from that he's a typical two phase fight and his attacks while embered are pretty freakin sweet. I get the feeling that it was intended that you be able to fight him normally and the Stormruler was originally intended as a bonus for completing Siegward's quest or something in that vein.

I once helped a sorcerer who was fighting him, and he was managing to shoot his head for pretty decent damage with soul spears. It was still way slower than chain-ruling him to death, but it was more than the pathetic damage most hosts did who didn't have it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

From Reddit:

quote:

Help! Currently hiding in Untended Graves from an invader. Trying to force them to seek me out. How do I tell if they've left the word?

submitted 17 hours ago * by PopApocrypha

So I got invaded right after I cleared the first part of Untended Graves. We had a short engagement, I almost fell off a cliff, then I put my torch away and ran back into the darkness and now I'm sleeping behind a grave where I can see the entry point. But they haven't come for me, and I don't want to budge and lose this war of wills. But what if they've left or d/c'ed and I somehow missed it? How can I tell if they're still here (without going out and losing the war of hide-and-go-seek)? What should I do?

[–]PopApocrypha[] 2 points 17 hours ago

I kind of want to get the jump and terrify and then kill him/her (it looked like a her). But I guess I could give it a go. It might also look weak, giving up first.

[–]PopApocrypha[] 3 points 17 hours ago

Also, where the gently caress are my Way of the Blue homies. They always show up by now.

[–]PopApocrypha[] 1 point 17 hours ago

Okay, so I ran out and there was the red phantom up on the first hill, and I totally lost the war of the will. They emoted laughing or something and I ran away again, not because I'm scared, but because I need to win this war of the will. So I'm back behind the grave sleeping. Any ideas? Creative warfare approaches appreciated.

[–]PopApocrypha[] 3 points 17 hours ago

But you know what I'm saying right? Because now it isn't about who kicks whose rear end, but who budges first and on whose turf this war is fought. I need to do something clever and terrible.

Listen, I get it, I get it, I seem weak, but I seemed weaker giving in and seeing if she was out there...and she was and just laughed at me. If she would've given in first, we would've loving danced by now.

Yeah, can't quit, she's still out there.

[...]

So I just miserably failed the Turing Red-Phantom Idiot Invader Test. It was Crystal Kriemhild. I fought the war of the wills against the NPC and the NPC won. I did defeat her in battle though. Not that much glory to be found after this anyway. My wife noted that I probably sat there behind that grave for like 40 minutes waiting to win that battle on my terms.

Oh noobs...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:whitewater:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

...! posted:

From Reddit:

Oh noobs...

That's pretty great.

Last night on my latest char I was running to wolnir, as I'm breaking the bridge I see the knight slayer tsorig has invaded prompt. So I stood there waiting to see if he takes the long way round. Unfortunately the screenshot failed, but he walked straight off the cliff where the bridge was, and I received the my thanks gesture as he fell into the abyss. Guess they gave him the lucatiel from ds2 pathfinding.

Pretty hilarious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hanales posted:

That's pretty great.

Last night on my latest char I was running to wolnir, as I'm breaking the bridge I see the knight slayer tsorig has invaded prompt. So I stood there waiting to see if he takes the long way round. Unfortunately the screenshot failed, but he walked straight off the cliff where the bridge was, and I received the my thanks gesture as he fell into the abyss. Guess they gave him the lucatiel from ds2 pathfinding.

Pretty hilarious.

Knight Slayer Tsorig slays all knights, including Knight Slayer Tsorig.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't know why but, I find myself farming for darkmoon covenant items a second time :shepicide:.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Paracelsus posted:

Sellsword Twinblades.

gently caress that, Hollowed Black Blade +10

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What do hollowed gems even do

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

What do hollowed gems even do

Make your weapon scale with Luck as well as provide extra Luck, up to +5

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Just got the DLC, and now decided three-phase bosses shouldn't be allowed. Sister Friede just kept going on and on...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

hanales posted:

That's pretty great.

Pretty hilarious.

If you place an alluring skull on the cliff outside Alva's spawn point, trigger him to appear, then run back past the cliff then Alva will immediately charge at the skull... and over the edge.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Carebearz posted:

gently caress that, Hollowed Black Blade +10

He was asking for early game weapons.

I'm not a big fan of DS3's katanas. The moveset always feels a bit meh.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
TIL Wolnir can use his sword during the fight.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Paracelsus posted:

He was asking for early game weapons.

I'm not a big fan of DS3's katanas. The moveset always feels a bit meh.

You can't backstab with them, can you?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Double Bill posted:

Just got the DLC, and now decided three-phase bosses shouldn't be allowed. Sister Friede just kept going on and on...

I think they really really intend for you to summon Uncle Gael for that fight. His summon sign is unique in that it shows up even if you aren't embered and he only shows up for phase 2 and 3. If you summon him the fight is still tough but very manageable. Friede has a murder boner for him and will basically ignore you during phase 2. I've done it solo a few times but it's a real grinder for certain builds so I usually just summon him. Interestingly, the length of the fight makes heal spells really good, phase 2 and 3 give you a fair amount of openings to use them even solo. The easiest time I ever had soloing it was on my heavily armored paladin character who could easily trade with and stunlock Friede and used Med Heal to just sustain through the last two phases.

A MIRACLE posted:

You can't backstab with them, can you?

You can backstab with every weapon (except whips) unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AttackBacon posted:

I think they really really intend for you to summon Uncle Gael for that fight. His summon sign is unique in that it shows up even if you aren't embered and he only shows up for phase 2 and 3. If you summon him the fight is still tough but very manageable. Friede has a murder boner for him and will basically ignore you during phase 2. I've done it solo a few times but it's a real grinder for certain builds so I usually just summon him. Interestingly, the length of the fight makes heal spells really good, phase 2 and 3 give you a fair amount of openings to use them even solo. The easiest time I ever had soloing it was on my heavily armored paladin character who could easily trade with and stunlock Friede and used Med Heal to just sustain through the last two phases.

You can backstab with every weapon (except whips) unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I had Great Heal and used it between phases to heal Gael. I also once managed to heal him right before he took damage from the grab on phase 3, and that was the only time I saw him survive that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

You can definitely backstab with the Uchigatana

Double Bill posted:

:same:

Fighitng the wolf is a pretty fun distraction while I decide if I want to summon Gael for it. I've done every other boss fight in the series on my own at least once. I might go level up, I'm about level 66 and I'd like to do more damage too.