Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

agreed that DBNull being it's own datatype is annoying as gently caress. lead to a bug for me just today in fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anyone used visual studio code in linux land with that c++ extension?

any good?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

HoboMan posted:

agreed that DBNull being it's own datatype is annoying as gently caress. lead to a bug for me just today in fact!

I've seen it argued that when you're doing something like execute scalar it's relevant to know whether you got a null value or whether the scalar returned zero rows, but my god there has to be a better way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ciaphas posted:

anyone used visual studio code in linux land with that c++ extension?

any good?

I haven't used it in linuxland but it's needs-suiting as a replacement for Watcom

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, today i get to fight with a ponderous build process where none of your web code will build unless you get this secret blob 'o binaries that isn't documented anywhere and lives outside of the svn system. wtf.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

apparently my blitter speed problem is because I'm drawing tiles on my screen by looping a really slow and inefficient C algorithm with all optimizations turned off when I should be doing it in handmade ASM instead

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
here's a whole lotta words by a proper sql server graybeard on options for implementing dynamic searches

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

redleader posted:

here's a whole lotta words by a proper sql server graybeard on options for implementing dynamic searches

Yeah, those are very good words... unfortunately I have to target MySql 5.1 and above like a pleb

e: been able to use a lot of these patterns, though.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 7, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, today i get to fight with a ponderous build process where none of your web code will build unless you get this secret blob 'o binaries that isn't documented anywhere and lives outside of the svn system. wtf.

you work in westworld?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

you work in westworld?

one of our conference rooms is a saloon with a life size mannequin of a hooker, so maybe?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
c terrible programmer s: C doesn't have introspection, but I tried anyway. I wrote a system of "tag" macros that let me generate tables describing all the fields within some of my structs and then I built a JSON serialization system on top of that.

it's loving magical when it works but when it doesn't it's hell to debug

like today when i spent three hours trying to figure out why one bug revealed a second bug which crashed my application with a double free while unwinding a failed deserialization. turns out i hosed up while copy-pasting and listed the same field twice instead of listing two different fields that have extremely similar names. fml

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

one of our conference rooms is a saloon with a life size mannequin of a hooker, so maybe?

what

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
why not something like capn proto for something like that?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i just wrote a big fuckoff build and deploy script in psake and i genuinely don't know if it's better or worse than what i had before.

it runs tests and deploys to aws tho so, :effort:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

actually i'm really pumped about it and can't wait to get a better handle on powershell to clean up all the rookie mistakes. build automation is so fun.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jony neuemonic posted:

actually i'm really pumped about it and can't wait to get a better handle on powershell to clean up all the rookie mistakes. build automation is so fun.
all automation is fun :hfive:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

every conference room has a theme and the big ones where we host customers and do events have pretty detailed themes. theres a keep with a bigass dragon guarding a hoard of circuit boards, a space room with planets hanging from the ceiling, a hangar, and a bunch of other poo poo. its the kind of thing that visitors constantly ask you "isnt it so cool to work here?" and youre just like "i go to meetings, i dont notice the decorations". poo poo's a sales tool.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
also, i reiterate: does anyone want the chance to give feedback on my article before i publish it? im going to give my friend a chance to review and then up it goes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

why not something like capn proto for something like that?

because gently caress you that's why

also because a js app has to communicate with the same endpoint as the aforementioned thing written in C

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

NihilCredo posted:

Well here's one from less than 48 hours ago:

We had a feature that was supposed to be active from StartDate to EndDate, but actually would end on the day before EndDate. Turns out a query was doing GETDATE() <= [EndDate] in its WHERE, thus taking the time of day into account and ending prematurely. I took my time to look for the right fix (because we have to technically support as old as MSSQL2005 where the DATE type doesn't even exist) and settled on some formula involving DATEDIFF. Tested it to make sure every edge case was covered, pushed it onto a few prod environments, everything's ok. Last Sunday it gets pushed to all prod environments, and a bunch of the really old ones break.

Turns out when those columns were originally added to the schema, somebody (who may or may not be currently paying my salary) half-assed the migration and left NULLs in the pre-existing rows instead of inserting default dates. This was like seven or eight years ago and I had no idea those columns had ever not existed - the current schema has had them as NOT NULL forever. But as it happens, GETDATE() <= NULL is perfectly legal and returns false, but DATEDIFF (NULL) throws and aborts the entire query.

So yeah, if I could know exactly with 100% certainty which columns can and can not be NULL, then I'd have no major issue with NULLs. But having to code against live production dbs that have gone through all sorts of grubby hands over the years, safely dealing with NULLs requires me to wrap literally every single column name in ISNULL() boilerplate, and it's always the one time I don't that I get bit in the rear end.

Boilerplate is good. Embrace the boilerplate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sapozhnik posted:

because gently caress you that's why

also because a js app has to communicate with the same endpoint as the aforementioned thing written in C

protocol buffers are explicitly designed for communicating between applications written in different programming languages

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Stringent posted:

Boilerplate is good. Embrace the boilerplate.

yeah, the nulls you've got now would still be essentially nulls, they would just be a majic date or something so they would be even harder to find and cause even weirder behavior

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

i just wrote a big fuckoff build and deploy script in psake and i genuinely don't know if it's better or worse than what i had before.

whatcha deploying to

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

also, i reiterate: does anyone want the chance to give feedback on my article before i publish it? im going to give my friend a chance to review and then up it goes.

I'm curious but I don't know if I could give any meaningful feedback

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

hackbunny posted:

:same:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hackbunny posted:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

anthonypants posted:

all automation is fun :hfive:

speaking of, does anyone have an experience with current CA enterprise automation products? we're currently working in a different product that just got bought up and id like some opinions of how good/bad it is

we're still locked into our current toolset, but if CA sunsets it we'll probably have to dehumanize and face

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

Well, since everyone said mostly the same thing I will leave you in suspense until it's published [/donald]

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jony neuemonic posted:

what's psake

also powershell loving sucks for big fuckoff scripts, ask me about janitoring our 20k loc ps script nightmare "build and deployment" scripts that we're desperately trying to get out from under

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

whatcha deploying to

elastic beanstalk, keeping it simple.

uncurable mlady posted:

what's psake

also powershell loving sucks for big fuckoff scripts, ask me about janitoring our 20k loc ps script nightmare "build and deployment" scripts that we're desperately trying to get out from under

it's a make/rake-style thing for powershell. they have not great documentation but it hasn't been too hard to just dive in.

thankfully in my case "big fuckoff script" means like 90 lines, and most of them just wrapping the .net core cli. i'm sweating just thinking about 20k lines of powershell.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
powers hell, hail satan

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dislike readthedocs docs

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Bloody posted:

:yossame:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that's a good "same" smiley, kudos to whoever made and bought it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

elastic beanstalk, keeping it simple.

oh kk I was worried you were building in your deployment orchestration into a script.

there lies madness and money lost

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

all the ones i've seen up until now have been good, but lmao that page is just a list of loving questions like an faq, and each answer is on its own page. "how do i use it" is number seven how stupid are these people. are these the chocolatey people.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

oh kk I was worried you were building in your deployment orchestration into a script.

there lies madness and money lost

ohhh nah. appveyor has the deployment tool on their build vms so i'm just using that and a bit of scripting to get things onto beanstalk until they have better support for it as a deployment target.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cjs: currently mad at customers who feel they can demand the same performance they'd get in a datacenter when dealing with a PaaS built on top of AWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

gently caress this poo poo so very hard

here, have this ansible playbook snippet:

YAML code:
  tasks:
    - yum: name=epel-release state=latest