Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

What happened that made people start to dislike Trion? I've only played Rift circa 2011 but they were pretty decent.

IDK about their other games, I played RIFT for like a month, but they've been pretty awful with Archeage. A lot of people think the game would have been incredible if it weren't for Trion's mismanagement (who knows). I don't know what the entire argument is for/against them, but I've seen them routinely miss deadlines, miss-state facts on what's going on in the game, just completely fail to respond to customers, ban people for stupid reasons, etc. It seems like the gambling and P2W aspects that everyone really hates are in all versions of the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Is hacking still childishly easy to do and impossible to detect because every, single, last, thing, is client side or did they completely rewrite their client and server and netcode?

yes, you can still edit your hp, buffs, move speed, inventory via cheat engine. Trion is still running an old cheat protection software that was long ago cracked wide open. You just run an extra .exe with the game to turn it off. All they did was put triggers in place to detect if you were doing things you shouldnt be able to do. Resulting in more false positive than actual hacker bans. Such as delivering too many trade packs in 1 hour.

As long as you are never very good at any aspect of the game, you wont be flagged

7/8 my hacking accounts are still unbanned, I duped the item that lets you buy game time. I planted trees under the ocean floor, and I teleported around killing people from underground stealing their tradepacks with all of the accounts. The one I got banned for was from flying around unreleased zones.

I check back into the game every few months to top off my game time, but its such a hacker's paradise its not even fun

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 7, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Heavy neutrino posted:

What happened that made people start to dislike Trion? I've only played Rift circa 2011 but they were pretty decent.

They played archeage

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if they could just make a sub only server with no cash shop bullshit id totally play it

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG06WAxoR9k

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Finndo posted:

If there is a better MMO pls let us know, happy to give it a try.

If you're into ArcheAge, you should like Dark & Light assuming Snail doesn't gently caress up with the business model (they say buy2play with purchasable expansion packs like ESO). Supposedly coming before end of the year.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Trion charged me for 3 months of subs about a year after i stopped playing. Was real cool.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint to guy suggesting FF14, its slow as hell with a glacial GCD and you need to do all the story content from the vanilla game to catch up to unlock the expo content so you will spend literal months on poo poo nobody else is doing anymore just to play what everyone else is doing now.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I wish MMOs where good

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Guild wars 2 is pretty fun if you play it as a single player game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Byolante posted:

Counterpoint to guy suggesting FF14, its slow as hell with a glacial GCD and you need to do all the story content from the vanilla game to catch up to unlock the expo content so you will spend literal months on poo poo nobody else is doing anymore just to play what everyone else is doing now.

I always hear this from goons who don't play but it seems just fine to me.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

I always hear this from goons who don't play but it seems just fine to me.

I played for quite a while, enough to 'give it a chance' after not liking to start with.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2793113/

Like people play it and enjoy it, but usually the people who enjoy it try to rubbish any criticism of it and evangelise hardcore. There is an awful lot wrong with it if you aren't up to date with the game, and it would be horrible for a new player.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Byolante posted:

I played for quite a while, enough to 'give it a chance' after not liking to start with.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2793113/

Like people play it and enjoy it, but usually the people who enjoy it try to rubbish any criticism of it and evangelise hardcore. There is an awful lot wrong with it if you aren't up to date with the game, and it would be horrible for a new player.

I think maybe you are a bit defensive? I didn't post but I saw your response and thought it was fair. :shrug: I've been playing a long time myself so I don't have any catchup issues that would apply to new players, so my perspective may be skewed.

Idk try the game or don't, there's tons out there. Elder Scrolls is another popular one!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So for those that play archeage still, what are the housing zones like at present?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Innerguard posted:

So for those that play archeage still, what are the housing zones like at present?

can you still put up custom art on the walls? I enjoyed no clipping into peoples pedo basements, reporting them and then checking back a week later to see they still werent banned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone hack me some thunderstrucks

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

A Spider Covets posted:

I think maybe you are a bit defensive? I didn't post but I saw your response and thought it was fair. :shrug: I've been playing a long time myself so I don't have any catchup issues that would apply to new players, so my perspective may be skewed.

Idk try the game or don't, there's tons out there. Elder Scrolls is another popular one!

Maybe I misread his post but it looked like the usual dismissal of people who don't like XIV as 'well you don't play so how would you know'.I tend to go off the reservation sometimes for months with MMOs and the one thing I found worse than how slow the combat felt was that amount of stuff I had stacked up to do because I didn't keep up to date as it got released. I played at 2.0 release then came back in 2.4 and spent an honest to go month working my way through a backlog of stuff everyone else had already done to death and wanted no part of to catch up to what everyone else was doing. Compare this to WoW or GW2 or something where the only barrier is maybe a week's worth of gearing to get up to the next starting point (or not even that in the case of GW2). Things like the menu interface being useless aren't deal killers really but they do suck too. Its just mainly its awful game to recommend to new players because of how far behind the 8 ball the game places them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm just saying that it's fine for a lot of people, sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm just saying that it's fine for a lot of people, sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

Its cool, you keep having fun with your mmo and I will keep having fun with mine :shobon:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

can you still put up custom art on the walls? I enjoyed no clipping into peoples pedo basements, reporting them and then checking back a week later to see they still werent banned.

:smuggo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
a friend ive played games with for over a decade has asked me to play, and Im going to play with him, probably grab some land, get really bored, and let him have it and be done

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

is this acceptable or could it be better?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hahahaha

I think you can have custom music too? I heard some non-game music when running past a house the other day.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

eonwe posted:

a friend ive played games with for over a decade has asked me to play, and Im going to play with him, probably grab some land, get really bored, and let him have it and be done

Your friend hates you with a passion.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Speaking of, they finally added Warborn & Dwarves.

A new storyline I guess?

Also massive changes to skills and whatnot. Guess it was this morning; servers are down.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 10, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RIP AA

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Alcoholics anonymous never stood a chance...

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
J O I N B A K A

ok

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
https://www.joinbaka.com

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey, who doesntl ike anime right

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
You know, giving themselves only a 12-14 hour scheduled downtime to patch software and reboot the servers was probably unfair. It normally takes a lot longer to do stuff like that, right? I'm not a techie so just kinda guessing.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
You should have seen the last time they dropped a giant patch like this...

Auroria clusterfuck is in this thread somewhere I think.

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
pls join baka on east

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What an epic shitshow. I bet servers won't even be up until tomorrow.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Their community manager is AWOL, updates are coming from random people. The rage thread is almost more fun than the game itself. 200+ pages already.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?301050-ArcheAge-North-America-Revelation-Update-12-10-16-at-1-00-AM-PST-NA-Validation

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CompeAnansi posted:

What an epic shitshow. I bet servers won't even be up until tomorrow.

funny you should say that, they updated the main post to say that the servers wouldn't be up until 10 AM PST tomorrow, as late as 12 PST

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think I got kicked off their forums for gloating about getting a free dolphin or some poo poo like that a long time ago.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

you went home on the release of 3.0 as the community manager because you are sick?! I'm popping steroids from the doctor so i can be here for the land grab. Nut up, quite literally and get back in the office, if i can sit here sick popping roids and antibiotics you can sit at a computer in the office. Unreal!!!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

A Spider Covets posted:

I've seen them routinely miss deadlines, miss-state facts on what's going on in the game, just completely fail to respond to customers, ban people for stupid reasons, etc. It seems like the gambling and P2W aspects that everyone really hates are in all versions of the game though.

Supposedly they recently banned someone for making a character named Makeamericagreatagain or something like that. Meanwhile racist names abound and the guild "Retard Mafia" never had to change its name.

My own beef is that they communicate in the most random way, sometimes on forums, sometimes in tweets, sometimes in game, sometimes on glyph.

And of course stuff like today which is just a bad joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

good test run guys, real deal starts tomorrow, same time

• Locked thread