Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If the fasteners that go through the unibody all look ok and are not super crusty, it's probably fine.

Rotors always rust, it's just their nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

loving snow, it looks like The Long Dark outside today.

Brb setting rabbit snares.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're forecasting a highs of -22 lows of -30 this time next week. I don't use my truck all that much, and when i went to use it the other night at ~15 the diesel was jello, i should probably deal with that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's that magical time of year where the Scirocco goes from the slowest to the fastest car in forest lawn because nobody can afford to replace their bald all seasons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BAD BAJAHA BAD

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/hot-tub-masturbating-winnipeg-1.3875770

quote:

Carly Montgomery was in a city-run hot tub and watching her son play nearby in the main pool when she realized the man sitting beside her was masturbating.

Montgomery said at first she wasn't initially paying attention to the man, whom she has seen many times before at the free public swim at Winnipeg's St. James Assiniboia Centennial Pool.

"He was on his knees, in kind of a weird position, like not sitting down and kind of a little closer to me than is kind of comfortable and I looked over and that's when I saw him," she said.

Montgomery said when she realized what he was doing, she didn't know what to think.

"He was ingratiating himself, actively, into the jet of the tub. He didn't have anything exposed, he was doing it on top of his bathing suit, and I just kind of blanked," said Montgomery.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

"And that, son, is how you came to have a baby sister, because I was so flabbergasted by that scene I didn't get out before he finished the deed."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gas is gonna be 89.9 in the morning, so you should fill up today if you need to.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HALLELUJAH, THE OIL INDUSTRY IS SAVED

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was +1 for a bit today. Just warm enough to thaw my summer wiper fluid in my pickup drove down the road just spraying it until empty. I'm at some intersection and 2 Tim Hortons drinking twinks are looking at me because the wipers are going flat out as I spray the window for the entire length of the red light while giving them the 1000 yard stare.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Was +1 for a bit today. Just warm enough to thaw my summer wiper fluid in my pickup drove down the road just spraying it until empty. I'm at some intersection and 2 Tim Hortons drinking twinks are looking at me because the wipers are going flat out as I spray the window for the entire length of the red light while giving them the 1000 yard stare.

Give 'em a smoke show next time.

Doing burnouts in front of a Timmies is a time honoured Canadian tradition.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

They've been scamming people for well over a decade.

http://www.beyond.ca/gallery-of-fine-cars-threatens-beyondca/186.html

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=332296

It's believed they roll back odometers and sue anybody who suggests it.

Looks like somethings being done now?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/calgary-used-car-dealer-facing-44-charges-1.3875684

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty damning, even if only half of it is true.

The principal/management of that dealership should be spending some time in jail, but won't be I'm sure.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh god. :whitewater:

When I was a lifeguard at the Y we used to see people getting intimate with the jets every so often. It was awkward to say the least.

The sauna was also a very erotic location on occasion.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Oh god. :whitewater:

When I was a lifeguard at the Y we used to see people getting intimate with the jets every so often. It was awkward to say the least.

The sauna was also a very erotic location on occasion.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
Anyone interested in setting up an AB:AI time share? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1992-lamborghini-diablo-at-graham-auctions/1221482260

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Count me in for 5 minutes, every other year.

That's about what I could afford, I think.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I unfortunately am unable to own a vehicle made outside the 80s because of a gypsy curse so I'm out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Auctions are crapshoots at the best of time, but that would have to be Russian roulette.

I would be fascinated to see what it goes for.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Who else wants to join? Because holy poo poo, I am sooo in http://www.51ncc.ca/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kinda nice to see companies springing up to cater to the now well-paid members of society that grew up in the eighties instead of the loving boomers, finally.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I sort of like the idea of it, but it's going to be interesting to see how they price it. It has to be high enough to pay the bills and scare away the 18 year old riced out beyond.ca demographic, but not too high to scare away the 30+ year olds that would probably get the most of it and I assume also geared towards. Also, keeping cars overnight without the luxury of a garage/secured parking is going to be interesting.

Even if it's proven elsewhere, somehow it will get hosed up in Calgary.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think anyone on beyond is under 30 anymore.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No they just act like it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Looks like a good start. I'm on my phone but it looks like an air cooled 911, Some Kind Of Ferrari and a Lancia Delta Integrale HF (Evo?). That should run about $160k, right? So 12 more cars for $840k? What would you guys add?

I'd say an NSX, Alfa Romeo GTV, E30 M3 should cover the basics before you get into esoteric stuff.

slidebite posted:

Even if it's proven elsewhere, somehow it will get hosed up in Calgary.

Definitely this

Because Calgary

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Gotta have a replica AC Cobra and super 7 clone. It's a crying shame that your can't get Morgan 3 wheels here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Need a 911 turbo of some sort. 996 or 997 would work. It's the unloved redheaded stepchild, but I would love a 348. Maybe an Esprit?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Yeah, I was going to say an Esprit as well. I'm not sure what kind of collection they're aiming for, but it seems like he's planning on letting the membership guide it.

Edit: yep, apparently that's an Evo. Seems like a rad car but the owner doesn't exactly ooze charisma.

https://youtu.be/X7y_QLShVak

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 8, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Maybe an Esprit?
About 5 years ago there was a long-time member of the Queen City Motor Club (Regina autocross-et-cetera club) selling a Lotus Espirit. He was asking $20K for it, and as far as I could tell it was in pretty good shape; never winter driven (heater was crap, for one thing), garage kept, well-maintained, etc.

Beautiful car. There's an old episode of Fifth Gear, the knockoff Top Gear replica, that shows the work they put in to getting an Espirit to break 200 mph. If I remember correctly, they didn't have to swap the engine but they did add a bunch of go-fast bits like a big turbo and significant changes to the transmission and differential.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/stolen-van-parking-red-light-tickets-1.3886303

quote:

When a thief stole keys and a Honda Odyssey from a Saskatoon family, they thought their van was gone for good — until they started receiving red light and parking tickets in the mail.

Weeks after the van went missing, an image of the van was captured in a photo snapped by a red-light camera at Idylwyld and 33rd Street.

Then a few days ago, Medbh English and her husband Ivan got more surprising mail. This time it was a parking ticket issued Nov. 7, on the 300 block of Sixth Avenue N.

"I'm amazed the person who stole the van is still driving around in Saskatoon," said English. "That amazes me that it hasn't been spotted or found."
:canada:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's Saskatoon; the cops are too busy doing starlight tours to care about anything else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My favourite part of that story is the picture they used for the cop:

Someone at the CBC is very, very mad at them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Burgcops: bringing justice to grilled meats since September 29, 1829.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thought you guys might be interested in this post from the chat thread.

slidebite posted:

Coincidentally I tried something this morning. We've been in a bit of a cold snap here with nights getting down to the -20 to -25C range. I used to park the Taco in the garage but because of Porsche resting in there, it's outside but I am using the factory block heater. I took a few pics with my thermal camera before I started it up just to see how effective it was.

I think it was -22 last night and block heater had been plugged in for about 7 hours.

Visible light

Infrared

That last one was the front of the engine, probably water pump area.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whoa, that's a lot of energy.

Neat!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My block heater is 1500 watts and makes poo poo nice and toasty when i'm not too lazy to go out and plug it in an hour before i leave.

It doesn't seem absolutely necessary though, 0-40 synthetic in a 7.3 and it would probably start at the north pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWDRTnkXwo4

I heard it snowed in vancouver last night, and haven't heard from anybody i know there, so it's safe to assume everybody's dead.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I heard it snowed in vancouver last night, and haven't heard from anybody i know there, so it's safe to assume everybody's dead.

Snowed on the island too, apparently it's an orgy of violence.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Thought you guys might be interested in this post from the chat thread.

This is cool (not a pun, unless you want it to be).

Can you tell me about your thermal camera? Is it something you got from / for work?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Snowed on the island too, apparently it's an orgy of violence.
Can confirm - several friends live there, and my facebook has been transformed into a chorus of screams, mostly a single word, repeated endlessly.
"MALAHAT"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently it's going to be so balls-stuck-to-leg cold tomorrow, michener allen isn't starting anything, and is selling all the vehicles by photo only.

Could be some deals on something that may or may not start.

I went to one in december a few years ago, and there were some serious shitboxes that they actually got running in -40*c. The car i went there for didn't, so they didn't sell it. If i would have known, i would have just bought the eagle wagon that was up first that they couldn't even get $50 for.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

I would have just bought the eagle wagon that was up first that they couldn't even get $50 for.

Aaaaaaaa why didn't you??? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Aaaaaaaa why didn't you??? :smith:

I figured it would cost more to get home than it would to buy it. it wasn't the good eagle, wagon, it was the crappy 90s eagle summit.

On the subject though......

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail?Link=9/12/2016%5Ef81b6944b73147d4b24a460f0e957e25

lookit those seats!