Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
We've had winters where it gets down to -5C and -10C.

-25C was the worst I ever saw.

Even with synthetic I am gonna let it warm up before gunning the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

Ah bummer. At least he got to experience space, something that the majority of us wont be able to do.

i think you will find that our vapourised remains will get to experience space in a way we never really thought about until recently

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

It was slower than the Aero configuration and hell to work on since it didn't fit in the bay. Its true though that it wasn't sludge prone like the 4 cylinder though, but that was an easily solved problem.
Saabs should have a B234 in them.

Goons posted:

1488 stuff
I'd never heard of this until a few years ago, and I expect many other people won't have either.

The number of debit/credit cards in the US is solidly into 10 figures, and you can only get 10,000 potential combinations of a 4-digit PIN. Unless the card companies explicitly block it out of how they assign random ones to new cards, 1488 is going to come up as a PIN a lot.

I'm not inclined to assume there's anything sinister about it unless there's other reasons to suspect :hitler: leanings.

Hell (Heil?) if you look up "1488" as the end of a phone number here, it's the local chess club, which is quite possibly the least threatening organisation it's possible to think of.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Three-Phase posted:

I was talking about the maintenance schedule for my 2017 RAV4H and the manual calls for oil changes (0W20 full synthetic) every ten. Thou. Sand. Miles. This generally causes two reactions when I tell someone this:

- Oh cool yeah it's synthetic. Just check it every 1000 miles or so.

- THIS WILL DRSTROY YOUR ENGINE! YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL AT HALF THAT INTERVAL! YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUNDING YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!*

* - imagine this being in 30 point impact font colored red

Both my Prius C and Tundra have survived 100k miles and are going strong on that same oil and change interval. The tundra has a warranty out to 125k miles so I trust toyota on this one.

The same oil starts just fine at -10f and handles towing great at 105f.

Toyotas ATF WS is another story. It's poo poo and shouldn't be considered lifetime. By 60k in both the Prius and Tundra it was ready for a change and toyota makes it hard to do.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Saabs should have a B234 in them.
I think you will find that Saabs should have a V4, a B20, B201, or a B202 :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

McTinkerson posted:

Could starts in -20C are absolutely the reason that the intervals are shorter. It's basically the worst engine wear scenario most DD's will see.

-35C for a week last winter. My employer does not have outlets for block heaters in the parking lot. At least two vehicles were essentially abandoned in the lot for the week because they simply wouldn't start or run.

I'm still trying to figure out how to overcome the lack of 120V mains to run a heater for my diesel. Are there any actually decent 12v oilpan heaters? I can do an aux battery setup to run it, but I need something in the 150-200W range. Right now all I've got is a thermosiphon coolant heater that takes 120v mains and can use that at home but at work I got nothing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I think you will find that Saabs should have a V4, a B20, B201, or a B202 :colbert:
I bet you think they shouldn't say "9000 Aero" on the back either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Could starts in -20C are absolutely the reason that the intervals are shorter. It's basically the worst engine wear scenario most DD's will see.

My '92 Civic amazingly says that it has a 13,000 km 5W30 interval on a sticker under the hood. That must be why the rings are in such great condition, he says while pouring the entire contents of a Rotella pail through the filler neck to keep it idling.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Meh you're fine. run a quality oil and keep it topped off. modern engines are so tight/cleaner burning the oil doesnt get contaminated as fast.

This. I just did the first oil change on my wife's Honda Fit. I'm seriously surprised at how clean the oil was after 8,500 miles.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Oh I get that, just seemed low in relation to other manufacturers with the same oil. It's still ~.01$/km buying Eneos, so it's cheap enough.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

Currently watching a live feed of earth from space.

Sending screen grabs to a coworker every few minutes because he "doesn't believe or not believe" that the earth is round or that we've been to space.

I thought that people are saying stuff like this because it was a joke out of irony. It is getting to a point that nothing surprises me.

I had no idea what you were on about so I had to :google: and while I am sad this exists I am also happy that I am happy that I have never heard of this or know anyone else that has perpetuated this crap :unsmith:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Timmy Cruise posted:

Oh I get that, just seemed low in relation to other manufacturers with the same oil. It's still ~.01$/km buying Eneos, so it's cheap enough.

On the Mazda's specifically, it could also be that the sky active family run absolutely bonkers compression ratios which I assume would result in more stress on the engine vs a Toyota four cylinder.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

-35C for a week last winter. My employer does not have outlets for block heaters in the parking lot. At least two vehicles were essentially abandoned in the lot for the week because they simply wouldn't start or run.

I'm still trying to figure out how to overcome the lack of 120V mains to run a heater for my diesel. Are there any actually decent 12v oilpan heaters? I can do an aux battery setup to run it, but I need something in the 150-200W range. Right now all I've got is a thermosiphon coolant heater that takes 120v mains and can use that at home but at work I got nothing.

Do what I've seen done. Stick a small genset in the back. Start genset, get 120V, warm things, start truck.
I'm not even kidding. Guy had an old 1-ton diesel that was his daily driver. He'd go to get coffee, park, fire up the genset, and spend 3-4 hours shooting the poo poo. Go out, start truck, kill genset, drive away.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I bet you think they shouldn't say "9000 Aero" on the back either.

OK, I take it back. That is most definitely allowed.

Saab died for me after the c900 - but only because I have never owned a 9000 and thus keep forgetting about them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fermented Tinal posted:

You can get diesel coolant heaters. Eberspacher make some - https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/product-selection/coolant-heaters.html .

I suspect there is probably a couple of previous generations that you might find second hand and cheaper

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I had no idea what you were on about [1488] so I had to :google: and while I am sad this exists I am also happy that I am happy that I have never heard of this or know anyone else that has perpetuated this crap :unsmith:

I keep dropping references to it in the tumblr whenever I mention HOAs or other excessive groups of middle class white people but nobody notices :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

InitialDave posted:

I'd never heard of this until a few years ago, and I expect many other people won't have either.

The number of debit/credit cards in the US is solidly into 10 figures, and you can only get 10,000 potential combinations of a 4-digit PIN. Unless the card companies explicitly block it out of how they assign random ones to new cards, 1488 is going to come up as a PIN a lot.

I'm not inclined to assume there's anything sinister about it unless there's other reasons to suspect :hitler: leanings.

Hell (Heil?) if you look up "1488" as the end of a phone number here, it's the local chess club, which is quite possibly the least threatening organisation it's possible to think of.
No, you don't understand. If there are two options, and one is benign and the other is an offensive "-ist" of some kind; goons will 100% assume its the offensive option and get pissed about it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Three-Phase posted:

- THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE! YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL AT HALF THAT INTERVAL! YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUNDING YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!*

Kind of wish I could go back in time and say "told you so" to all of the people on the Focus-specific forums who used to tell me my engine's failure was imminent because I was running 10,000ish mile changes.

Approaching 150,000 miles on the original engine, no abnormal oil consumption (burns maybe a quart over 10k miles) and no smoke out the tailpipe, runs about as well as it did the day I bought it.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Cursory search would indicate your only real options here would be running your current block heater off of an inverter powered by a gang of deep-cycle batteries, buying a gas-powered generator to accomplish the same or installing a fuel-operated coolant heater ($$$.)

Probably be more cost effective to just leave the engine idling when you know its going to be cold enough to be a problem.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dumb question (because I'm beer) what do you get if you put 12v jump leads on your ac heater element directly?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dumb question (because I'm beer) what do you get if you put 12v jump leads on your ac heater element directly?

I don't know, what do you get if you cross a 12v lead with an AC heater element?

:D

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

freelop posted:

I don't know, what do you get if you cross a 12v lead with an AC heater element?

:D

The element shouldn't give a gently caress if the power is AC or DC, but at 1/10th intended voltage you should only get 1/10th the work out of the element. So you'd get a slightly less cold engine and a drained/dead battery.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

But it would be a dead auxiliary battery, so it's all good right?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Man cracker jokes are taking a technical turn this year. .

Hope the hats are still the same

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Three-Phase posted:

In ARMA 3 Epoch one of my colleagues always pinned the keypads to vehicles and bases to 1488. I wished this was ironic but it seemed less likely as time passed.

I was talking about the maintenance schedule for my 2017 RAV4H and the manual calls for oil changes (0W20 full synthetic) every ten. Thou. Sand. Miles. This generally causes two reactions when I tell someone this:

- THIS WILL DRSTROY YOUR ENGINE! YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL AT HALF THAT INTERVAL! YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUNDING YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!*

My car's manual says to change it once a year, or when the change oil message comes on, whichever occurs first. No specific mileage interval.

It comes on around 9-11k. And it suggests conventional. :stare: I run synthetic, but at nearly 160k it loses a whole 1.5 quarts between oil changes, and always has since I got it at 60k. That's just a hair below the "add" mark on the dipstick. It comes out looking pretty nasty, but Blackstone has said that the oil still had some life left in it every time I sent it to them, and said wear levels were that of an engine with a lot less miles.

My stepdad swears I'm ruining it by not changing it every 2500-3000. Meanwhile, he never changes any other fluids, and he's on his second transmission at 130k with generally sedate driving and no towing (his last truck's transmission lasted a bit longer, but left him stranded over 200 miles from home when it went out). His truck is also starting to blow some blue smoke, but I blame that on his refusal to replace the K&N air filter with the bigass hole in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What you need is the kind of external heater the military vehicles in cold climates use. I think Doccer's 6x6 has the ports for one, like quick-release hose couplings on the coolant lines.

Anyway, if you had something like that, which you can run hoses external to the car with, you could use a small heater fired with propane etc and an electric pump to cycle and warm the coolant without risking setting the car alight or anything.

Or a 12v kettle heating element running off a battery would do the same thing, but it's fun to use fire whenever possible.

However you do it, it doesn't have to be warm, does it? just not quite so balls cold.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

We've had winters where it gets down to -5C and -10C.

-25C was the worst I ever saw.

Even with synthetic I am gonna let it warm up before gunning the engine.

Typical lowest temps we see in Atlanta are about -10C. Worst I've seen was -17C (or 1*F) in January 2014. We don't know what to do when it gets that drat cold.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I keep dropping references to it in the tumblr whenever I mention HOAs or other excessive groups of middle class white people but nobody notices :(

How long did that guy in the South a few years ago have 1488WP or similar on his license plate?

At least now all that horrifying part of humanity has reached mainstream notice, and nobody will be able to deny it's existence. :sigh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Even better we have apologists who just say "oh it's just angry goons"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Coincidentally I tried something this morning. We've been in a bit of a cold snap here with nights getting down to the -20 to -25C range. I used to park the Taco in the garage but because of Porsche resting in there, it's outside but I am using the factory block heater. I took a few pics with my thermal camera before I started it up just to see how effective it was.

I think it was -22 last night and block heater had been plugged in for about 7 hours.

Visible light

Infrared

That last one was the front of the engine, probably water pump area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Coincidentally I tried something this morning. We've been in a bit of a cold snap here with nights getting down to the -20 to -25C range. I used to park the Taco in the garage but because of Porsche resting in there, it's outside but I am using the factory block heater. I took a few pics with my thermal camera before I started it up just to see how effective it was.

I think it was -22 last night and block heater had been plugged in for about 7 hours.

Visible light

Infrared

That last one was the front of the engine, probably water pump area.

That's pretty good for a block heater. I always thought they only pushed coolant temperatures up like two degrees or something low like that.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
There seems to be a variety of outputs of heaters. I'd be interested to find out the wattage on that Taco. I used to only have a 125 Watt pan heater on my old A4 that did SFA, so I plumbed a 750 watt heater in the coolant loop then you'd get the temp gauge coming off of cold in the first block.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^according to this youtube video for a 2006 (I'd be surprised if it's different) it's 400W

Yeah, I was quite surprised to be honest. I didn't except it to be anywhere near that warm and pervasive. I suspect the oil pan wasn't nearly that warm (although way warmer than ambient), but I didn't feel like crawling around on the ground to get a picture of it at 7AM. Maybe tomorrow if I take Mrs. Slidebite to work I'll try to remember to grab a shot of that.

I still prefer circulating heaters for those that need them with regularity. They kick rear end.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

Even better we have apologists who just say "oh it's just angry goons"
No, an apologist is someone who attempts to defend something that happens, which in this case would be people using 1488 as a Nazi reference.

We're saying it's entirely possible to be a coincidence, and the 1488 mean nothing at all in that particular instance, unless you have a further reason to suspect otherwise.

Remember when Top Gear had people in Argentina loving rioting in the street over a number plate? Yeah.

If a skinhead has it tattooed on his face, fair enough, that's probably a solid example. But some random guy just having it as his PIN doesn't have to mean anything unless you want it to, and at that point it veers into numerology.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

No, an apologist is someone who attempts to defend something that happens, which in this case would be people using 1488 as a Nazi reference.

We're saying it's entirely possible to be a coincidence, and the 1488 mean nothing at all in that particular instance, unless you have a further reason to suspect otherwise.

Remember when Top Gear had people in Argentina loving rioting in the street over a number plate? Yeah.

If skinhead has it tattooed on his face, fair enough, that's probably a solid example. But some random guy just having it as his PIN doesn't have to mean anything unless you want it to, and at that point it veers into numerology.

no i get what you're saying, its entirely possible to randomly have that be selected as your pin number and not know what it is and think to change it (i wasn't referring to your post btw)

our country is full of terrible people though so i'm less inclined to believe in coincidence when it comes to that number.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had to Google it also.

Racism is rampant in sc, but not in Nazi flavor.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

* - imagine this being in 30 point impact font colored red
My e46 320d has 18,000 mile oil change intervals. Before I bought it it had been done at that mileage, or a few thousand miles later. I've typically done it at 17-18 thousand miles.

It's currently sitting at 198,000 miles on all original hardware, is 3,000 miles late for an oil change and runs like a champ. The rest of the car is falling apart around it, but the engine is sweet as a nut. I have a service kit sitting but :effort:

The omg timebomb swirl flaps haven't poo poo the bed and destroyed the engine like every body says either.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

Most cheap remote starters these days have a never-get-cold mode, where it runs the vehicle for 15 minutes every 2 hours or whatever, fancier units are able to watch battery voltage and coolant temp and start up when either drops out of a specified range.

VV when I can let the clutch out in neutral without stalling it's warmed up.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 9, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Since it is getting colder outside, how long do you guys warm up your cars before driving?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

Since it is getting colder outside, how long do you guys warm up your cars before driving?

When its really cold (single digits in F, below -10 C) until the temperature needle moves. Otherwise I just start it and go easy on the throttle until the needle moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^ That's my general warm-up procedure.

I'm not sure how a remote starter would work with the pullknob used to turn off the fuel pump, or the glowplugs.

I'd consider a generator but I'd have to duck out several hours before the end of shift and my job is busy enough that I likely wouldn't be able to find the time to do it. Really, what I'm hoping for is like a 100W 12v oil pan heater that I can use a timer or thermostat with. I've got room for a 2nd battery under the hood, but we're talking a drain of about 8Ah, which shouldn't overtax a cold battery for two or three hours of use.

• Locked thread