Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Extra lift due to all the extra stuff making her more nose heavy?

F-22 flight systems testbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrYenko posted:

TU-128, forever.

:black101:

I'm doing long term catch up with this thread, but just chiming in to say yeah, this. Fighter-bomber? Feh, how bout bomber-fighter?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 7, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zebulon posted:

What the hell is with that forehead canard.

It was used to test airflow against F-22 wing geometry without relying on it to actually keep the airplane up. That 757 put up a lot of hours testing F-22 avionics, software, and wing poo poo before Raptor 01 ever flew.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

It was used to test airflow against F-22 wing geometry without relying on it to actually keep the airplane up. That 757 put up a lot of hours testing F-22 avionics, software, and wing poo poo before Raptor 01 ever flew.

That's not the way you're supposed to do it. You're supposed to build an entire aircraft with all its new systems all at the same time, and then start turning them out on an assembly line before you finish flight testing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

Reminds me of this:

"I'm helping!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SSBNs:

:ussr: Soviet Union/Russia :ussr:

In service:

Typhoon - 1

Delta IV - 6

Delta III - 2 [+1 modified for RnD]

Borey - 3 [4 under construction, three more planned]

Total: 12

Out of Service:

Typhoon - 5

Delta IV - 1

Delta III - 11

Delta II - 4

Delta I - 18

Yankee - 34

Hotel - 8

note: next two entries are sad, low energy conventionally powered models

Golf - 24 [note 1, 2]

Zulu - 6 [note 3]

Total: 112

Sum total 124

Note:
1. All boats had left Soviet service by 1990. In 1993, ten were sold to North Korea for scrap. According to some sources, the North Koreans are attempting to get these boats back into service. :stonklol:

2. 1959 the project technology was sold to China which built a single modified example in 1966, which is still in service.

3. This is the total that were modified to be ballistic missile submarines. The first one modified could fire one (highly modified) SS-2, the remaining 5 could mount 2 scuds.

:911: United States :911:

In service:

Ohio - 18

Total: 18

Out of Service:

Benjamin Franklin: 12

James Madison: 10

Lafayette: 9

Ethan Allen: 5

George Washington: 5

Total: 41

Sum total: 59

:britain: Great Britain :britain:

In service:

Vanguard: 4

[Dreadnought: building 1, planned 4]

Out of Service:

Resolution: 4

Total: 8

:france: France :france:

In service:

Triomphant: 4

Out of service:

Redoutable: 6

Total: 10

:china: China :china:

Type 092 - 1

Type 094 - 4 [planned 8]

Type 096 - ?????????

Total: 5

:mexico: India :mexico:

Arihant* - 1 [building 3]

Total - 1

*Arihant is apparently sanskrit for "Killer of Enemies" :black101:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 7, 2016

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I'll put on my Pedantic Navy Hat and point out that the "N" stands for "Nuclear", which not all of those subs are.

Cool list, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Party Plane Jones posted:

F-22 flight systems testbed.

I have a weird fetish for flying test beds. Something about subsystems testing just gets me so...tumescent

....mmm yea risk reduction baby

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'll put on my Pedantic Navy Hat and point out that the "N" stands for "Nuclear", which not all of those subs are.

Cool list, though.

It's true, I'll add a note

There is no point to this list aside from "holy poo poo, the Soviet Union built a lot of SSBNs"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I guess Mexico's flag does kinda work for India.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

I have a weird fetish for flying test beds. Something about subsystems testing just gets me so...tumescent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqAwOPOsigU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

What can engineers learn from this that they can’t from wind tunnel tests?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CarForumPoster posted:

I will take any opportunity to post Voodoo One

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Fair enough. I figured it was something like that, because I've certainly seen and heard of aircraft like the other one that was shown where they use an existing aircraft to test new engines without having to rely on them. I was just struggling to figure out just what the goofy-rear end forehead canard was for at the time but figured it had to be for testing SOMETHING.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Nebakenezzer posted:

:911: United States :911:

In service:

Ohio - 18

Total: 18

Worth noting that of those 18 the oldest 4 have been converted to SSGN cruise missile boats which means the USN currently has 14 SSBNs in service.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Platystemon posted:

They can test the subsystems in the real world. It ain't about aerodynamics. Its about the various subsystems that make up the wing and wing center section in the real world. Some that come to mind are the fuel subsystems, ESM system, missiles, flares, comms, manufacturing procedures for the actual structure that are high risk, etc.

StandardVC10 posted:

Unghhhh Its soooo good. Fuyck yea real world testing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 7, 2016

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

1. All boats had left Soviet service by 1990. In 1993, ten were sold to North Korea for scrap. According to some sources, the North Koreans are attempting to get these boats back into service. :stonklol:

I want to read more about the magical Best Korean SSBNs.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

There was one in Crysis Warhead. It was pretty chill.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Wind-tunnel testing is good for aerodynamics, it's not so good for loads and vibes and component behavior and heat flow. For a lot of things there's no substitute for putting actual gages on a flying aircraft.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

What is that?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

They can test the subsystems in the real world. It ain't about aerodynamics. Its about the various subsystems that make up the wing and wing center section in the real world. Some that come to mind are the fuel subsystems, ESM system, missiles, flares, comms, manufacturing procedures for the actual structure that are high risk, etc.

Unghhhh Its soooo good. Fuyck yea real world testing.

Test beds = best planes

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Phanatic posted:

Wind-tunnel testing is good for aerodynamics, it's not so good for loads and vibes and component behavior and heat flow. For a lot of things there's no substitute for putting actual gages on a flying aircraft.

You can get better loads and dynamics out of an uncorrelated FEA of the plane than out of that test bed. You all are thinking too mechanical, that is a straight up subsystem test bed. How do the functions (software, electronic, mechanical) that comprise an F-22 perform perform?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

DPRK allegedly hacked ROK military network.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ohh din't see mod sumo wrestler style man

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 7, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

You can get better loads and dynamics out of an uncorrelated FEA of the plane than out of that test bed.

Funny how our structural and dynamics engineers rely on actual flight test data to validate their FEA stuff and calculate component lives, then.

quote:

You all are thinking too mechanical, that is a straight up subsystem test bed. How do the functions (software, electronic, mechanical) that comprise an F-22 perform perform?

I was answering the question about why you'd bother to fly something rather than just wind-tunnel test it, not talking about that particular platform, and I specifically mentioned component behaviors.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the point of cluster munitions anyway? Is there any point to them not just blowing up right away?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 7, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the point of cluster munitions anyway? Is there any point to them not just blowing up right away?

They're supposed to, aren't they? The issue is that some of them don't and then end up lying around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

There are mine dispensers, but the problem is that with a 1% dud rate when you're dispensing hundreds of bomblets thats not so good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not as flashy and eye-catching as most, but as I was looking at pictures of the E-3 testbed (now retired and parked in the boneyard), an ECO walked up and said "I am rock hard right now."

They're generally weird dudes, even for the AWACS community.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

loving up targets over a wide area that aren't as vulnerable to conventional blast/fragment general purpose bombs.

Say you have a bunch of guys in trenches and foxholes. If you airburst a conventional bomb, you're probably going to kill the guys right under it, but others will be protected from the blast and shrapnel by their fighting positions. With a cluster bomb, every soldier in the dispersion footprint has a good chance of a grenade sized bomblet landing in his lap.

The dozens of UXO they leave behind is just an amusing side effect.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 7, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sperglord posted:

What is that?

Ex-American Airlines Boeing 727 used by Raytheon as an avionics testbed - I think that's an F-16 nose?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

General Battuta posted:

They're supposed to, aren't they? The issue is that some of them don't and then end up lying around.

This makes a lot more sense. The cluster munitions I've seen have always detonated promptly; here I was thinking there was this whole other class that was designed to not explode.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Phanatic posted:

Funny how our structural and dynamics engineers rely on actual flight test data to validate their FEA stuff and calculate component lives, then.

I was answering the question about why you'd bother to fly something rather than just wind-tunnel test it, not talking about that particular platform, and I specifically mentioned component behaviors.

Right, actual, not a testbed whose induced vibe is basically all directly applied an 0 d'alembert which is not representative of a real aircraft. Hence a properly setup yet invalidated fea is more worthwhile (still kinda worthless beyond optimization). The only inertial forces induced on a wing tied to a big mass like that are whatever the inertial forces from the host plane and aren't representative of the future host aircraft's. I.e whatever the plane does + the directly induced forces from buffeting/aero/SPL.

That said it's a great wing subsystem test bed, so it's probably not for mechanical BS validating the OML of the plane But rather whatever subsystems they can put in that area or boxes that connect to it

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Or you get kickin' rad cluster munitions like the SFW where you can take out a column of vehicles each with their own EFP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkauuIyDsM

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am for a cluster munitions ban no matter how limited and ineffective it is, but at the same time they are pretty fuckin bad rear end.

My personal favourite is the MW-1/JP233 mounted on Panavia Tornados which poo poo out a huge number of whatever fun treats they decide to load them up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1FyA-3wcBQ

In short I am conflicted.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Name the loadout game

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Ain't a whole lot of (US) missiles that look like a HARM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The WW on the tail is kind of a giveaway! :haw: