Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I hope it leaks who they missed out on because Reinsdorf is a cheap gently caress.

I also don't think they should just trade Quintana for the hell of it. Wait for the right deal. Some team will be desperate at the deadline for a top of the rotation arm. I guess the best scenario now is to push Washington on a Quintana/Robertson for a package with Giolito and Robles in it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zeeman posted:

This makes Os fans sound like literal children
It's also really stupid because any fanbase would like him instantly if he plays well.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Using your fans as a scapegoat to not sign a player is pretty bad, lol.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dan Duquette is a gift.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Late, but as a White Sox fan, I'm happy with the Sale trade. It's been obvious for months that he'd be gone, so it was just up to the team to not take a stupid offer. Surprisingly, they managed to not gently caress it up. Trade more of the current "core" and things start looking pretty good in 3-4 years.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zeeman posted:

Well yeah, they can't say the actual reason that Angelos and Duquette are cheap motherfuckers. Bear in mind that prior to the Chris Davis sweepstakes, the 4/50 contract we gave Ubaldo was our highest FA contract ever? At the very minimum it was the highest we'd ever given to a pitcher.

E: To be clear though, I would not be surprised in the slightest if Duquette legitimately thinks they can't sign Bats because the fans don't like him.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 7, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pablo Sandoval loses weight every single season and then gets fat again.

He'll be 50 pounds heavier by May 1st.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cubs are buying Wade Davis it appears.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/806306233846267905

:stare:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna miss Wader, he's the best pitcher in one inning increments that I've ever seen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

I'm gonna miss Wader, he's the best pitcher in one inning increments that I've ever seen.

Can't wait for Maddon to absolutely ruin him by attempting multiple 2-3 inning saves in a row. :shepface:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Davis' arm OK? Didn't he have a bunch of forearm issues that people thought might be elbow related?

Interesting to see how much the Cubs would have to give up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
He missed some time last year with forearm issues but he was still incredible when he played. He was significantly less incredible last year than in the previous two years which might be a cause for concern but there wasn't any TJS kind of rumors as far as I'm aware.

Greg Holland though, you could watch his arm disintegrating in real time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Looks like those earlier tweets were a tap ahead of the curve, talks are still ongoing:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806309491104948225
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/806310322910863360

Niwrad posted:

Is Davis' arm OK? Didn't he have a bunch of forearm issues that people thought might be elbow related?

Interesting to see how much the Cubs would have to give up.

He had a couple arm strains but both times came back without any dip in velocity and posted a 36.6% K rate and 2.4% BB rate after returning after the most recent injury, so I think he's fine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jesse Rogers saying he hears Soler might be involved.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Since the McCutchen Era of the Pirates is coming to end it would be smart for Neal Hunington to look at adding some start...
https://twitter.com/Sawchik_Trib/status/806258484916420615
Ohhhhhhhhhh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh hey: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/806312889594380289

:f5:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Zeeman posted:

on the other hand bautista is a whiny babby rear end in a top hat

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicago sports teams only targeting wades

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently the hang up is the Nats suddenly making a late push for Davis. Which is weird since the earlier rumors were that it was the Dodgers who were also actively pursuing him, but w/e.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

on the other hand bautista launched one of the best dingers of all time

Agreed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope the Nats are in panic mode and trying desperately to make SOMETHING happen. Please sell the farm.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Rays of all teams signed Wilson Ramos.

2 years, $12.5 million, heavily incentive-laden

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Inspector_666 posted:

He's looked like that before. Was it him doing the jorts-wearing hill runs in The Franchise?

I think that was Andres Torres also throwing rocks over his head up a hill, but they did profile Panda doing other normal workout stuff in appropriate attire.

Edit: Yup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwElSGVsu4&t=92s

Troxartas fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Rays sign Wilson Ramos to a two-year deal. Seems like a good value-rebuilder from Ramos' point of view, but why the Rays? It's not like they're a healthy Ramos away from contending. Are they hoping to use him as a trade chip down the line?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Rays sign Wilson Ramos to a two-year deal. Seems like a good value-rebuilder from Ramos' point of view, but why the Rays? It's not like they're a healthy Ramos away from contending. Are they hoping to use him as a trade chip down the line?

That would be my guess. Give him a shot to start and if he bounces back he'll be great trade fodder for a contender that should return something pretty solid considering the low price.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
At this point if the Nats are in on Davis I'd almost prefer they get fleeced in whatever panic buy mode they're in since they can't seem to land a single target this winter

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jorge Soler is going to KC for Davis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

Jorge Soler is going to KC for Davis.

If this is true and it really is a straight swap as is currently rumored, the Nationals are completely incompetent. They should be able to put together a better offer than just Soler.

In any event looks like it'll be a morning headline if it happens:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/806343207651016705

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

I could watch this for hours

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hello Towel posted:

Late, but as a White Sox fan, I'm happy with the Sale trade. It's been obvious for months that he'd be gone, so it was just up to the team to not take a stupid offer. Surprisingly, they managed to not gently caress it up. Trade more of the current "core" and things start looking pretty good in 3-4 years.

They have a chance to blow it all up like the Cubs did and be really really scary good in 3-5 years. Sale is a good start.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Gomez coming back to Texas on a 1 year deal. Neat.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sydin posted:

If this is true and it really is a straight swap as is currently rumored, the Nationals are completely incompetent. They should be able to put together a better offer than just Soler.

In any event looks like it'll be a morning headline if it happens:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/806343207651016705

Just Soler seems less like a good offer and more like the equivalent of the Royals giving the Cubs a jeep in exchange for a tricycle.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
CarGo deal is 1/$11.5m. A bit higher than I was hoping but not absurdly so. I was thinking more like $9.5-10m. Meh. I'm happy with the signing, he was a good fit last year.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

CarGo deal is 1/$11.5m. A bit higher than I was hoping but not absurdly so. I was thinking more like $9.5-10m. Meh. I'm happy with the signing, he was a good fit last year.

not the real CarGo :mad:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

You mean GoGo silly!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GeneX posted:

Just Soler seems less like a good offer and more like the equivalent of the Royals giving the Cubs a jeep in exchange for a tricycle.

I know people have been down on Soler but I do think he has some value. He's on a cheap deal for 4 more years and still really young. It was just 2 years ago he was one of the best prospects in baseball and tearing up the minor leagues. Just a year ago that he was crushing the ball in the playoffs. The guy has the ability to be a really good hitter and has shown it at times in the majors. The move to the Royals should help too because he can now play everyday and be a DH at times to reduce his injury risk.

It's also a good deal for the Cubs because they just couldn't play him in RF if they play Schwarber in LF. And with Baez coming on, Zobrist is probably going to be moved to the corner outfield spots more often. Soler was never going to be more than a guy off the bench next season.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I'm surprised it's Davis for Soler straight up but he's cheap for 4 more years and maybe being hotter than two rats loving in a wool sock will finally keep him healthy.

Even with some arm issues last year I can't believe nobody will top that vs. 80-90 million over 5-6 years for Chapman/Jansen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm surprised it's Davis for Soler straight up but he's cheap for 4 more years and maybe being hotter than two rats loving in a wool sock will finally keep him healthy.

Even with some arm issues last year I can't believe nobody will top that vs. 80-90 million over 5-6 years for Chapman/Jansen.

With the Cubs and Giants off the market, are there really a bunch of teams willing to pay those guys that kind of money? It seems like the Dodgers and Yankees are the only teams left who would pay that kind of money for a closer and they'd just be bidding against themselves.

• Locked thread