Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
http://www.beastsofwar.com/plast-craft-games/colored-terrain-expands-dropzone-commander/

Well this looks hella neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Not really a fan of the pyramids. Where do you put troops in it? Other than that looks great.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

Not really a fan of the pyramids. Where do you put troops in it? Other than that looks great.

I guess you could say the same for the triangular building on the right. A couple of bases is probably OK, but more than one squad?

Looks quite Infinity to me, so I guess it's on par for anime - cool styling if impractical in reality. ;) Good to see more variety and options appearing for the game though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath thread cross-post! Eagle eyed posters may notice that I have pretty much stuck with the original chemes I posted WIP's of earlier in the month. Hopefully they turned out ok! My Dropfleet scheme I felt came together a bit more once I started highlighting, the colour of the hull markings doesn't blend into the metallic blue of the gribbly bits so much with the edge highlight I think.

I decided to pick out my hangars in a bright green going for a star wars-ish force field idea. I probably need to do a bit more to make it look like illumination but that'll do for today!

Ugleb posted:

Oath Complete!

It's that time of the month again where I wonder where all the time went and take crappy pics!

I had adventures with line tape this month. I am experimenting with patterns, the tape itself and what happens when I change my mind and try to paint over stuff. I think I'm getting there. The colour scheme is a variation on my Dropzone PHR, the hull markings I want to denote classes rather than individual ships, hence the repeats on the frigates.

My first Resistance units! Decided on a not-so-realistic high contrast scheme here which I hope will give me a distinctive looking army as I build it up. In a good way.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have some more images! A bit basic, but hey... an easy paint job that looks decent.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete

They look a lot better in real life, but I thin the "thick paint" syndrome" may have been caused by using the end of a can of primer - It may have gone on a bit thick in places as it was coming out unevenly.

Overall, I'm happy with the colour scheme, I just need to work on the yellow.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Oath Complete

I had a lot of learning experiences with this oath, and it's not quite as good as I'd like, but I still think it's a great color scheme.

Gloss medium is kind of weird to work with, it seems like it's really tricky, once I've mixed the paint with it, to get a consistency that's thin enough to spread properly but not thin enough to go places on its own.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
In a fit of insanity I decided to try a sort of dazzle scheme on my PHR, in Homeworld-inspired colors - both choices to differentiate them from my UCM, which have a cool blue and gray color scheme and regular geometric patterns, rather than the warm scheme and irregular patterns these guys will end up with.

Overall I'm pretty happy. This is just the smooth hull finished - I'll probably do the gribbly bits of the hull and fins metallic so they don't blend in with the black so much. I'll also lighten up the ECM fins and do the hex bits on the fins in cyan or whatever. (And buy a PHR starter box or two so I have have a full fleet instead of just the kickstarter freebies I have now.)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ugleb posted:

Oath thread cross-post! Eagle eyed posters may notice that I have pretty much stuck with the original chemes I posted WIP's of earlier in the month. Hopefully they turned out ok! My Dropfleet scheme I felt came together a bit more once I started highlighting, the colour of the hull markings doesn't blend into the metallic blue of the gribbly bits so much with the edge highlight I think.

I decided to pick out my hangars in a bright green going for a star wars-ish force field idea. I probably need to do a bit more to make it look like illumination but that'll do for today!

I know I was skeptical at first, but those Jacksons turned out really nice along with the rest of the stuff! I really dig the stripes on the ships, and I'm planning to do something similar for squads with my DZC PHR. Now I just wish I wasn't completely useless when it comes to painting, so I could finally get my PHR to look all transhuman and poo poo.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Badly Jester posted:

I know I was skeptical at first, but those Jacksons turned out really nice along with the rest of the stuff! I really dig the stripes on the ships, and I'm planning to do something similar for squads with my DZC PHR. Now I just wish I wasn't completely useless when it comes to painting, so I could finally get my PHR to look all transhuman and poo poo.

Cheers! I did find the feedback helpful so thanks for offering it. Something I did change up on the Jacksons was using some different shades of green for mis-matched panels to ghetto them up a bit.

Coming up with paint schemes for two new armies meant there was a lot of procrastination going on this month!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Question for the dropfleet folks: what are you using for terrain? I've seen some acrylic templates for marking asteroid fields, but other than that I'm not sure the best way to model them. They seem awfully important on the table, but I'm not really sure what Hawk was intending for folks to do. I know people have done "foam rock on toothpick" for X-Wing terrain, but that seems like the scale wouldn't work quite as well for dropfleet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcturas posted:

Question for the dropfleet folks: what are you using for terrain? I've seen some acrylic templates for marking asteroid fields, but other than that I'm not sure the best way to model them. They seem awfully important on the table, but I'm not really sure what Hawk was intending for folks to do. I know people have done "foam rock on toothpick" for X-Wing terrain, but that seems like the scale wouldn't work quite as well for dropfleet.

The two player set comes with some paper cutouts. The fields are dense (and smaller) and fine (and larger).

Moons and rings you will have to come up on your own.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Moons (LCO/LSO's whatever) are impassable circles that block line of sight and occupy orbital layers. But you can usually/always fly under them in atmosphere I think.

My first thought was make a bissected sphere out of foam and paint it up to look moonish, but if it can be flown under by slower moving ships in atmo maybe it needs to be flatter to allow at least tokens to be placed on it to mark positions. Maybe the better option is to go full sphere with a base or template that marks out the diameter of the moon on the table.

In which case, hopefully someone comes up with an acrylic base like that featuring a spike/pole to impale your foam creation on top.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

Moons (LCO/LSO's whatever) are impassable circles that block line of sight and occupy orbital layers. But you can usually/always fly under them in atmosphere I think.

My first thought was make a bissected sphere out of foam and paint it up to look moonish, but if it can be flown under by slower moving ships in atmo maybe it needs to be flatter to allow at least tokens to be placed on it to mark positions. Maybe the better option is to go full sphere with a base or template that marks out the diameter of the moon on the table.

In which case, hopefully someone comes up with an acrylic base like that featuring a spike/pole to impale your foam creation on top.

I was thinking of just getting a 6" polystyrine ball and putting it on a base, then cratering up the surface.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Crossquoting from the painting thread:

Bistromatic posted:

SPACESHIP!

It took some time to figure out the details of the scheme and redo a few sections. I also went a bit heavy on the gloss coat and meaning it almost a week to dry. But it's finally finished and i'm happy with it. Subsequent ships should be a good bit faster and there's not that many in a fleet.

Was a bitch to photograph though, by phones auto-exposure does not like dark grey.

I took plenty of WiP pics too and i'll be writing up that step-by-step.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Grey Hunter posted:

I was thinking of just getting a 6" polystyrine ball and putting it on a base, then cratering up the surface.

Back in the battle fleet gothic days white dwarf had a little terrain making tutorial. Polystyrene balls of whatever size, paint on a little plastic cement (it will melt them a bit and create craters). Paint rock type colours and squish onto a flying stand. Worked really well. Asteroids can be made the same way, just start with more irregular shapes like cubes or whatever.

Bistromatic, that ship is so nice

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I used to use ping pong balls for planets in BFG, works pretty good and wont melt if you use the wrong paints.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Bistromatic posted:

Crossquoting from the painting thread:

Thanks for that...

I just threw my paint scheme test frigate into Super Clean.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I do love dem engines....

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've read a large portion of the manual for this and am pretty interested; what's the skinny on all the factions? And how much does the ground game bear into it?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I got my commodore pledge and it's 16 lbs of plastic. And three shirts. I might have ordered three shirts.

Starting to put together PHR stuff, but it's slow going. Using plastic cement to melt the sides together a bit on the big flat nose part. Working ok-ish, hopefully once they're primed and basecoated it will look OK.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

spectralent posted:

I've read a large portion of the manual for this and am pretty interested; what's the skinny on all the factions? And how much does the ground game bear into it?

Are you asking if there is much crossover between Dropzone and Dropfleet, or how important landing troops is to winning Dropfleet games?

Landing troops is very, very important.

The Dropfleet book has a section on running crossover campaigns between the two games, which could be a fun thing for clubs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ugleb posted:

Are you asking if there is much crossover between Dropzone and Dropfleet, or how important landing troops is to winning Dropfleet games?

Landing troops is very, very important.

The Dropfleet book has a section on running crossover campaigns between the two games, which could be a fun thing for clubs.

More the second; I picked up the first thing which I absolutely love. It's really rare to see any kind of naval wargame remember that the "shore" has any role at all.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Got my PHR Battleship today - quick PSA; if you glue together the upper/lower prow for each configuration, then they'll pretty much slide onto the main hull and stay on without the need for magnets. You only get one set of prow fins though, so I've filled the grooves for them in the Minos prow, and just glued them into the Heracles prow.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

LazyAngel posted:

Got my PHR Battleship today - quick PSA; if you glue together the upper/lower prow for each configuration, then they'll pretty much slide onto the main hull and stay on without the need for magnets. You only get one set of prow fins though, so I've filled the grooves for them in the Minos prow, and just glued them into the Heracles prow.

I am jealous! What have you done with the torpedoes, they are under the hull aren't they?

On another note, thinking about building out my starter fleet into this for a 1k points game. The problem with a big box full of sprues is deciding on what to make next!

quote:

--------------------------------------
PHR 1k - 983pts
PHR - 4 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (170pts)
1 x Hector - 170pts - H

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (232pts)
1 x Leonidas - 195pts - H
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (213pts)
1 x Ganymede - 135pts - M
2 x Medea - 78pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (169pts)
1 x Theseus - 89pts - M
2 x Europa - 80pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (199pts)
1 x Ikarus - 115pts - M
2 x Andromeda - 84pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Played my first game this weekend using the suggested starter fleets for UCM and Scourge. It was a blast and made me want to play more. Only issues we had were model related, and strictly because my models are not finished painting and thus the widgets are not glued on yet. We also tracked damage with Dice as doing so on the bases seemed hopeless.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
New Kickstarter update. Apparently all of the Commadores have been packed. Only thing left are late pledges and "problem" orders. Looks like I'm part of the problem, so I have to email them. Let's see if I can't get my pledge before Christmas.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

New Kickstarter update. Apparently all of the Commadores have been packed. Only thing left are late pledges and "problem" orders. Looks like I'm part of the problem, so I have to email them. Let's see if I can't get my pledge before Christmas.

It's possible that my making additional "orders" via the pledge manager makes me a late backer, but I sent them an email anyway.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

YF19pilot posted:

Note guys that they said they have like 200 commadores that are packed but have not shipped yet, so if you have a commodore you might be in there.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think they are also distinguishing between packing and shipping. At least, that's what I am hoping because I have a commodore order (with a few add ons) and haven't gotten a shipping notice. I emailed them a few weeks back and they confirmed that they have my info and it was still being worked on.

e:fb

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

wdarkk posted:

It's possible that my making additional "orders" via the pledge manager makes me a late backer, but I sent them an email anyway.

Same boat here (Lt. backer) although I would figure there was more than a handful of people who added stuff in PM. It would have been nice for them to have given a heads up sooner that if you weren't a Commodore and didn't have your stuff already that your details might have been messed up somewhere along the line.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Lt-backer, and I think getting the map packs for my group has scuppered my chance of getting my pledge before the Holidays.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pash posted:

Note guys that they said they have like 200 commadores that are packed but have not shipped yet, so if you have a commodore you might be in there.

I'm a Commander, with two Battlecruisers added on. According to this latest update I'm one of the rewards with some kind of address issue.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Finally received my stuff, never worked with models before, already broke off two guns on the PHR frigates. Getting the fronts smooth on them where they're clipped off seems like an exercise in futility.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Sojenus posted:

Finally received my stuff, never worked with models before, already broke off two guns on the PHR frigates. Getting the fronts smooth on them where they're clipped off seems like an exercise in futility.

I think I've got some bad sprues of the PHR frigates, maybe you do too. It looks like the plastic didn't get fully inject somehow. Anyone else have these issues?

One half of the nose has a "dent" in it and if you look at the far half the "bulb" on the tip didn't get formed like it did on the close one. I've got 2-3 spures like this. It's not the end of the world, but I'll probably end up contacting Hawk about it.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, a couple have that. It's not as noticeable after the two halves get glued together at least. Might try filling it in with some plastic putty or something like that.

There's also just me trying to figure out how to smooth down the plastic left over after clipping.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Ugleb posted:

I am jealous! What have you done with the torpedoes, they are under the hull aren't they?

Glued them to the Minos prow - both top and bottom bits are separate. Will see if I can remember to post pics later.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Yeah, a couple have that. It's not as noticeable after the two halves get glued together at least. Might try filling it in with some plastic putty or something like that.

There's also just me trying to figure out how to smooth down the plastic left over after clipping.

Using slightly too much glue and wiggling the halves together can help, I also used some greenstuff and filed them.

It is actually a trickier kit than it first looks.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

I think I've got some bad sprues of the PHR frigates, maybe you do too. It looks like the plastic didn't get fully inject somehow. Anyone else have these issues?

One half of the nose has a "dent" in it and if you look at the far half the "bulb" on the tip didn't get formed like it did on the close one. I've got 2-3 spures like this. It's not the end of the world, but I'll probably end up contacting Hawk about it.

Mine look like that as well. I can green stuff the gap but little I can do about the prow bulb. Its a small detail though to the overall model so I'm probably not going to ask for new ones or anything. Some of them turned out fine so I guess its just a bad batch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
If all goes well, i should have a 2 player Dropfleet starter and a battleship tomorrow! (otherwise, friday)

I'm splitting it with a friend, who's also bought a starter, he gets both UCM parts, i get the scourge (I feel like the winner here, scourge looks so loving rad and space whaley) And because of this, i sought out the facebook group for dropfleet commander. Holy poo poo the anger issues amongst the kickstarter backers! it's so bad they made a seperate group just for those people and it's not even enough to contain their rage.