Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Action Tortoise posted:

dragon's dogma

i remember when this was first out i was comparing it to dark souls and shadow of the colossus from the trailers, but now that i'm going through the early game it reminds me more of a weird combination of a european crpg like two worlds 2 (a janky looking and feeling action rpg that's somehow charming in its unpolished state), way of the samurai (openish world and a button dedicated to drawing and sheathing your weapon that is also janky looking/feeling yet charming because of it), and dead rising's basic platforming plus sotc.

some minor things
- i'm enjoying its lovely platforming far more than assassin's creed, for some reason
It helps that Dragon's Dogma makes it so there's little hidden areas and treasure pretty much anywhere you could go. Just jumping along the rooftops of Cassardis or Gran Soren really makes you appreciate how much thought they put into the area design. Even having beaten the game like seven or eight times I still find all sorts of little details I never noticed before.

Also pawn chatter is great. It wouldn't feel the same if I didn't have He-Man constantly being amazed at how big trees are and shouting about how threatening goblins are at level infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nordick posted:

I never played the sequels, which I hear are a bit mediocre, but the first F.E.A.R is one of my favourite FPS games ever.

Super duper late, but FEAR 3's co-op campaign is actually pretty good. One person plays as Point Man, who plays pretty much like he did in FEAR, but the other person gets to be notorious ghost rear end in a top hat and recurring antagonist Paxton Fettel. You get to float around as a ghost, possessing dudes or holding them up in the air for your buddy to murderize.

More importantly, the co-op campaign's ending is determined by who did the best during the campaign so there's a fun little quasi-competitive element to it. It's really way better of a thing than a game loving titled F3AR deserves.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Last night I stumbled across the Bandersnatch in FFXV. He was straight chilling in a huge pit behind the very first place in the game, so I geared up a bit and decided to take it on as a proper "boss" battle. Everyone had good abilities up, I made a shitload of magic to continually lob at it, it was going down. For reference, the Bandersnatch is a giant demon raptor that is level 38--my crew was level 14. Definitely punching above our weight class.

After 30 minutes of careful resurrecting, magic usage, counter/parry combos against a giant gently caress-off razor mouth, and Prompto casually lobbing upgraded crossbow bolts into his side for 100 HP /75,850 HP at a time, we brought the fucker down and I got a single claw I can sell for 900 Gil.

But that wasn't the important thing. The important thing was I did all that because at the very back of the Arena you fight the Bandersnatch in, there is a small patch of Eos Green Peas. I hadn't yet found those peas, and like hell was I going to just walk away from an undiscovered ingredient.

There's a strange sense of accomplishment in beating up a huge demon bird with a piddly stick just for a bushel of common peas

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Arx Monolith posted:

I will always hear it as "Fi-nal fantasy is an r-p-g."

TontoCorazon posted:

Me too, from that really old newgrounds cartoons.

Some nostalgia for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI27WJ7ZG7Q

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Miijhal posted:

It helps that Dragon's Dogma makes it so there's little hidden areas and treasure pretty much anywhere you could go. Just jumping along the rooftops of Cassardis or Gran Soren really makes you appreciate how much thought they put into the area design. Even having beaten the game like seven or eight times I still find all sorts of little details I never noticed before.

Also pawn chatter is great. It wouldn't feel the same if I didn't have He-Man constantly being amazed at how big trees are and shouting about how threatening goblins are at level infinity.

I've been avoiding quests and just traversing the wilderness and filling in the map and killing cyclopses. imagine my surprise when I see the dragon chilling in the forest with some goblins.

I barely lasted a minute and heard the dragon say a parting shot as my character died.

game good.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Another Draggy Dogma thing is how your Pawns misidentify enemies at first: "A harpy!" when a Gargoyle shows up, or "The dragon, here!?" The first few times you meet a drake. And you're pretty much guaranteed to hear them unless you somehow hunt down a bunch of knowledge scrolls for your main pawn.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I min-maxed the system to make an awesome support pawn. People must have used him a lot, because that motherfucking knew about everything I ever ran into.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Action Tortoise posted:

I've been avoiding quests and just traversing the wilderness and filling in the map and killing cyclopses. imagine my surprise when I see the dragon chilling in the forest with some goblins.

I barely lasted a minute and heard the dragon say a parting shot as my character died.

game good.

That wasn't even 'the dragon' unless you just mean 'a dragon'. :niggly:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That wasn't even 'the dragon' unless you just mean 'a dragon'. :niggly:

there's more than one?

good :unsmigghh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That The Last Guardian came out finally :unsmith:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
rear end Creed 4: The Pirate One stands out to me as the video game I play when I want to go on vacation but only for an hour or two.

The world is ocean and islands which means a lot of beaches. You get a big rear end pirate ship to move between these islands. If you're willing to pay up front for a bordello there's free whores(Idk if it counts as whoring anymore past that point) everywhere. Fights get trivial once you get the bulletproof armor.

Overall the game looks really good and doesn't fail at scratching the itch of going on a Caribbean pirate vacation.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sponge Baathist posted:

rear end Creed 4: The Pirate One stands out to me as the video game I play when I want to go on vacation but only for an hour or two.

The world is ocean and islands which means a lot of beaches. You get a big rear end pirate ship to move between these islands. If you're willing to pay up front for a bordello there's free whores(Idk if it counts as whoring anymore past that point) everywhere. Fights get trivial once you get the bulletproof armor.

Overall the game looks really good and doesn't fail at scratching the itch of going on a Caribbean pirate vacation.

And being serenaded by the best crew.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

there's more than one?

good :unsmigghh:

There's like nine?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

It's been years since I last played and I still get Roll, Boys, Roll stuck in my head for days at a time occasionally.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

There's like nine?

9 different types, some appear in multiple places, certain ones respawn.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

9 different types, some appear in multiple places, certain ones respawn.

The ones that talk also have different lines, too. If I remember correctly, they talk about plot stuff that's kind of neat once you've gotten far enough that everything makes sense.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I'm personally a fan of the friendly wrym that still tries to kill you but is just really chill about it. The musclehead drake that really really really wants to murder you is pretty good too.

Miijhal has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Dec 7, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chocobos can swim in FFXV. When you get in the water the music changes to a simpler Chocobo theme.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first time in Drogma when my pawn came back and she new where a quest was and took off running yelling "follow me!" while i had no idea where to go.

gently caress i love that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It's been years since I last played and I still get Roll, Boys, Roll stuck in my head for days at a time occasionally.

That's a lie!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arx Monolith posted:

I will always hear it as "Fi-nal fantasy is an r-p-g."
I wasn't gonna post this because I was sure it would be too obscure a reference.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wasn't gonna post this because I was sure it would be too obscure a reference.

I also love the guy's dumb resident evil flash videos. Me and my friends still do the same Alfred Ashford voice and quote it whenever we talk about the series, which we do often. We're terrible nerds.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Was it Legendary Frog who did those videos? I remember there being whole series full of tiny detail jokes where you had to right-click pause then right-click zoom to keep up with them because they were too unnoticeable at default resolution

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tribbledirigible posted:

Getting all the shanties is next on my list. What's the wait time for those to respawn when I gently caress up?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

Was it Legendary Frog who did those videos? I remember there being whole series full of tiny detail jokes where you had to right-click pause then right-click zoom to keep up with them because they were too unnoticeable at default resolution

Looks like it!

playlist

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Chocobos can swim in FFXV. When you get in the water the music changes to a simpler Chocobo theme.

If you're talking about the theme that uses a flute, that also happens whenever you walk, or stand still, while on your chcocobo. Takes a couple seconds to kick in.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

a kitten posted:

The first time in Drogma when my pawn came back and she new where a quest was and took off running yelling "follow me!" while i had no idea where to go.

gently caress i love that game.

One of my friends is playing Dragon's Dogma for the first time and her pawn came back recently with "Knowledge of Fighting Death".

Confused the heck out of her :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sponge Baathist posted:

Getting all the shanties is next on my list. What's the wait time for those to respawn when I gently caress up?

A fast travel teleport.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Sponge Baathist posted:

This was one of the first things I did in the game. Then I just sailed around drinking beer and listening to my crew sing.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In Final Fantasy XV, Ignis, your team cook, will learn different recipes to make and when you eat at restaurants he'll learn how to make those menu items but sometimes he'll actually create something different from what you just ate that was either inspired by it or uses a certain item or similarities to it.

Like there was an updated dish on the menu that had a special sauce on it I think and Ignis created something different using that sauce.

Also all food looks pretty great.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Also in FFXV, I was walking in a town and there was a person eating some food, and the camera got in close and Ignis learned a new recipe. He called it Mother & Child Rice, which I thought was because there was maybe a mother and child eating the dish when he learned it? I wasn't paying super close attention. However, when I went to cook it later, the name made sense. It's made with the fantasy equivalent of chicken breast and eggs, so you are combining mother and child over rice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wait
A final fantasy with actual charm and character?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wait

15 is basically built around you liking these 4 dudes on a road trip.

And I do. I do like those 4 dudes on their road trip.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Wait

I'm not terribly far in, but yeah, the main 4 guys are actually pretty likable, even Noctis. He's emo, but for a surprisingly good reason for once.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Also in FFXV, I was walking in a town and there was a person eating some food, and the camera got in close and Ignis learned a new recipe. He called it Mother & Child Rice, which I thought was because there was maybe a mother and child eating the dish when he learned it? I wasn't paying super close attention. However, when I went to cook it later, the name made sense. It's made with the fantasy equivalent of chicken breast and eggs, so you are combining mother and child over rice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyakodon

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FFXV looks like the most unnusual & bizarre game from what I've glimpsed online. Road trip with four fashion bros featuring multi-hour long boss battles, quests about dresses, cooking and a swimming giant chicken? And it took 10 years to make? It sounds like it might be a fantasy masterpiece or a weird nightmare.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

FFXV looks like the most unnusual & bizarre game from what I've glimpsed online. Road trip with four fashion bros featuring multi-hour long boss battles, quests about dresses, cooking and a swimming giant chicken? And it took 10 years to make? It sounds like it might be a fantasy masterpiece or a weird nightmare.

How about weird fantasy masterpiece? The contrast between stereotypical Final Fantasy characters and a setting that's basically the rural US really threw me off at first, but somehow they make it work.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Wait

It's a beautiful mess. Te story isn't told very well but I can't give a great comment on it because I've been doing side quests in chapter 9 for like 20 hours. The game makes the gameplay fun, so every battle is something to look forward to and diversions like fishing can suck you in for longer than you'd think. There have been a couple nights were I know I only have a short amount of time to play, and instead of moving the story along I just park my prince on a pier and fish. Twice now I've found and killed a big monster while exploring, only to find the Hunt for that monster (which means I'd get paid for killing it) later, and both times I was excited to get another chance to kill it. And hunts are repeatable, too, and I feel like there's a hunt for every type of enemy so if you know there's a drop you're looking for or want to showdown against a boss again, just grab the hunt and head out.

I find myself comparing the way it develops character and story to previous Final Fantasy games, and the largest difference is that you don't have a lot of story moments where people are sitting around talking. There are some, but think of FFVII and there's a bunch of moments where the party is in a room or area and you can talk to them to pick their brain. 7th Heaven, Shinra Tower, Kalm, Costa Del Sol and more. FFXV more or less obviates all of that and provides a more natural way of your party to bond, namely the walking commentary you get after accepting a quest or while you're traversing the world. I think it works really well. If you think about the end game parts of almost any RPG, you'll have long stretches where your party pretty much disappears outside of battles. Their arcs aren't important or have been wrapped up, and you progress in relative silence. FFXV has a smaller cast but each of them has a bright and distinct personality. For example, Prompto will open up to you about not feeling like he belongs because he isn't royalty or even staff, he's just a school friend. He tries to impress everyone and is afraid that if he's not making people laugh then he won't have a place with your group. That's a pretty real feeling for an outsider to have. The game has warts but it's really charming. SE also announced that they're working on some patches to add more to the story with voiced cutscenes and modifications to the last chapter to shore up the weaknesses they're aware of.

Anyway, FFXV is pretty good and I'm really enjoying my time with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

well why not posted:

There's actually surprisingly few outfits, fashion bro game is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

SE also announced that they're working on some patches to add more to the story with voiced cutscenes and modifications to the last chapter to shore up the weaknesses they're aware of.

They're patching the story? Sounds like a good reason to hold off on buying it.