Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Of all the people linked to the Oregon job, I really don't want it to be Bryan Harsin. He seems like Boise State's version of Mark Helfrich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kiffin going to Tampa would own

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

buddhanc posted:

Houston's d coordinator Orlando, is he any good?

It's hard to separate how he is as a coach and how mercurial the team itself is. They get up for 'big' games, then suck poo poo for 'lesser' ones and lose or almost lose.

Seems to pick up really well on how to counter OL blocking schemes though

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

lol gently caress Mack Rhoades. Glad he jumped ship after a year to have to deal with Baylor's bullshit.

The list DJExile quoted is basically his list from last year (when he was Mizzou's AD). I think Rhule held out last year in case PSU came open then when it was obvious that it wasn't going to after this year, and with a good class graduating, he decided to get out.

E: also because Mizzou was a real unsure situation last year (MV correctly points out Rhule turned us down) but it's not like Baylor is without controversy this time around

Hed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 7, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

CrumFUNist! posted:

Of all the people linked to the Oregon job, I really don't want it to be Bryan Harsin. He seems like Boise State's version of Mark Helfrich.

He seemed pretty competent at Texas, although it's hard to say how much was him and how much was his co-OC Major Applewhite. Our team would look SO inept the whole game but a lot of times 30+ points would just materialize somewhere along the way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's the perfect time for the sad bearcat, but I don't have it on hand. Somebody help me out here.

:v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CrumFUNist! posted:

Boise already has their version of Helfrich.

Dan Hawkins flamed out years ago.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
https://twitter.com/sbncollege/status/806275962425974785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is "per a source" so don't get too excited, Crum

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

shyduck posted:

They could make a movie about what Matt Rhule was able to do at Temple, a perennially dogshit football program since the 19th century. I just fear now they're going to regress and lose any foothold they might've had.

Huh? They have been solid ever since Golden took over.

Rhule is good at scouting and developing players, but is horrifically bad at Xs and Os.

MourningView posted:

Rhule has been way better than Golden was and there was a mediocre Addazio period in the middle there. I don't think they made a bowl the year before he was hired. Rhule has overseen the best period for Temple football by a mile.

Golden took over a horrible program. Addazio had them on the decline but there's no comparison. He certainly has good qualities but the dude cannot coach to save his life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd completely forgotten about that, someone remind me why BC hired Addazio coming off a 4-7 season.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

I think the only coach this leaves available is Willie Taggart. I'll take it, similar offenses but unfortunately similar defenses as well.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

For once, KJI and I agree on something.

Wikipedia:

quote:

Temple had a record of 3–31 during the three years before Golden was hired, and had just been thrown out of the Big East Conference for non-competitiveness. In Golden's first three years at the helm, Temple recorded 1–11 in 2006, 4–8 in 2007 and then 5–7 mark in 2008. The 2008 record was the best for the program since a 7–4 mark in 1990.

The Owls finished the 2009 regular season at 9–3, their first winning season since 1990. 

Don't get me wrong, Rhule is a great coach, but Golden pulled Temple out of the abyss. I think Temple was on the edge of eliminating the program.

As an aside, when is Al Golden going to get another opportunity. He was clearly a bad fit at Miami, but he could be a good coach somewhere. Maryland or Rutgers would have been better off hiring him last year.

Komet fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 7, 2016

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al Golden was a terrible, terrible coach that does not deserve another head coaching shot. He was poor on gameday, recruiting, developing, and managing staff. His team did not respect him, and hated him because he spoke in coach speak to them all the time. He played mind games with depth charts that everyone knew was false, and would play favorites with who would getting playing time. He effectively cost his players millions of dollars in the draft. He tied himself to a garbage DC running his system, and was unwilling to ever make changes.

He's a good person, and I wish he was as good a coach as he was a person. He wasn't. When at Temple, he couldn't beat a team with a pulse, and that didn't change at Miami. In fact, at miami he also couldn't beat teams without a pulse. His 2013 team was LOADED with talent, and he couldn't even compete for the coastal.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

CrumFUNist! posted:

You see it too, huh? :). I also want this to happen. Oregon deserves to be down for more than one year. I'm gonna be pissed if they hire Fleck or Taggart. You haven't been bad for long enough yet, Oregon :colbert:. I'm more worried about Fleck though because of his recruiting prowess. There is only so much SoCal talent to go around :ohdear:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Dilber posted:

Al Golden was a terrible, terrible coach that does not deserve another head coaching shot. He was poor on gameday, recruiting, developing, and managing staff. His team did not respect him, and hated him because he spoke in coach speak to them all the time. He played mind games with depth charts that everyone knew was false, and would play favorites with who would getting playing time. He effectively cost his players millions of dollars in the draft. He tied himself to a garbage DC running his system, and was unwilling to ever make changes.

He's a good person, and I wish he was as good a coach as he was a person. He wasn't. When at Temple, he couldn't beat a team with a pulse, and that didn't change at Miami. In fact, at miami he also couldn't beat teams without a pulse. His 2013 team was LOADED with talent, and he couldn't even compete for the coastal.

More draft picks than wins!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Oregon will hire Mac and then Florida will hire Chip Kelly and proceed to win 2 national titles and clown the poo poo out of Saban in the SEC title game every year because god is dead.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sab0921 posted:

Oregon will hire Mac and then Florida will hire Chip Kelly and proceed to win 2 national titles and clown the poo poo out of Saban in the SEC title game every year because god is dead.

This is super unlikely to happen but I approve.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Rumors are flying everywhere of Chip Kelly to Oregon. I remain pessimistic about the whole thing but man, that would be something.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Honestly, Chip Kelly to Oregon with Phil Knight bitch-slapping every other booster into submission so Chip doesn't ever have to deal with them is a pretty good deal for everyone involved.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Well, about that Chip Kelly rumor...
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/806456123649835008

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sweet, two more years of Nussmeier!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

buddhanc posted:

Houston's d coordinator Orlando, is he any good?

Yes, enjoy all the exotic blitzes he'll inevitably deploy at UT. That is, unless he's promoted to full-time UH head coach.

At this point, I think Lincoln Riley is the most likely guy since he fits the profile of hot OC that sticks around for 2 years and then bolts to the Big 12...in Riley's case he'll be gone to Texas Tech as soon as Kingsbury is affordable to can. He interviewed yesterday and naturally his agent "leaked" that the interview went well. Les Miles interviewed Monday, and Orlando and Major Applewhite both did on Sunday.

After Riley in order of likeliness comes Orlando, then Les Miles, then Kiffin, and lastly Major Applewhite. Art Briles is officially ruled out (thank god) and nobody else appears to have been called. Kiffin will go to USF where they're apparently dangling a low buyout.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Good hire in terms of keeping explosion on the offense, but no idea how this is going to fix that tire fire of a defense one bit. His defensive staff is going to be the real question, and hopefully they don't continue stupid crap like "let's run the 4-3 over in the Pac-12 in 2016".

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Pretty psyched for Taggart, wonder what he'll do for DC.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Taggert's a hell of a hire for Oregon. Gonna be curious now to see what USF does.

E: well then

quote:

Brett McMurphy notes that the top candidates for the opening at USF are Florida State co-offensive coordinator Lawrence Dawsey, Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, and Ohio State associate head coach / defensive coordinator Greg Schiano.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 7, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Schiano going back to Tampa after his horrible stint with the Bucs would be loving hilarious.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

More coming out about Kevin Wilson. If anyone still doubted he should be fired, this should put it to rest.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Good hire in terms of keeping explosion on the offense, but no idea how this is going to fix that tire fire of a defense one bit. His defensive staff is going to be the real question, and hopefully they don't continue stupid crap like "let's run the 4-3 over in the Pac-12 in 2016".

It's probably a lot easier for them to find 4-3 talent than 3-4 talent. I dont think Oregon will be a great team when it comes to defense unless they have a hell of a recruiter there due to lack of in state talent, and having to compete with multiple teams for the d-line talent coming out of California.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Damnit Oregon, why'd you have to go and make a good hire? :ohdear:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

vyst posted:

Schiano going back to Tampa after his horrible stint with the Bucs would be loving hilarious.

This would be so dumb of the USF AD. That man is loving reviled in Tampa.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Hello Towel posted:

More coming out about Kevin Wilson. If anyone still doubted he should be fired, this should put it to rest.

Speaking of successful coaches hitting kids, is Jim Leavitt ever going to get a shot at head coaching again? I'm kind of shocked that he's even back as DC and that there seems to be no controversy over it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/806541868695592960

I guess he was the loan holdover from Riley's staff

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Democrazy posted:

Speaking of successful coaches hitting kids, is Jim Leavitt ever going to get a shot at head coaching again? I'm kind of shocked that he's even back as DC and that there seems to be no controversy over it.

Of course he will, it's football.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Regnevelc posted:

Of course he will, it's football.

And he's an angry middle aged white man. 100% he gets another chance

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WSYX-TV in Columbus is saying Luke Fickell is a candidate for the Cincy job.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This would be so dumb of the USF AD. That man is loving reviled in Tampa.

Hell yea he is

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I hope Shiano leaves Ohio State, because their defense was the only consistently good thing about that team.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Komet posted:

I hope Shiano leaves Ohio State, because their defense was the only consistently good thing about that team.

It was good before Schiano, but losing both him and Fickell at the same time would kind of suck.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

TheGreyGhost posted:

You understand that USF's defense is a 4-2 stack right? A derivative of the 4-3 Over

Brady Hoke is here forever :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Lincoln Riley out of consideration for UH job, per a lot of folks on Twitter.

• Locked thread