Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

That's really cool! What is the first texture used for, by the way? The bottom looks like the walls.

The top is all the buildings, red is used to essentially hint to the observer that it's "inside", so the buildings don't resolve inside-out half the time.

The bottom is the water and tree placement.

Essentially I do a pass of the buildings, then clear the white pixels to unobserved, then swap the observation sample out with the gardens/water and re-observe.

The system's goal is to allow highly dynamic template swap out, and generate zones from combinations of 2 or 3 templates so adding a new template grows the possible output space exponentially. It's working so far.

Here's a few variations of output gained by just swapping out one or two of the input templates.

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/805950288129654789

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/805951707247214596

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/805954507704270848

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/805964921443782656

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/804959272366997504

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/804958384466358272

The main downside is it's a little clunky, map generation takes about 5 seconds on my fairly beefy i7 box for a 2-template map and uses a couple dozen MB of ram. I'm guessing Caves of Qud players will put up with the ocassional 5-second load time for a huge amount of new sweet-rear end map variety, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Unormal posted:

The main downside is it's a little clunky, map generation takes about 5 seconds on my fairly beefy i7 box for a 2-template map and uses a couple dozen MB of ram. I'm guessing Caves of Qud players will put up with the ocassional 5-second load time for a huge amount of new sweet-rear end map variety, though.

Interesting!

If the memory footprint is that low, you could do background precalculation for the expensive operations.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

andrew smash posted:

Has demon been updated recently? I'm curious if the dev ever added any fluff to the setting, i'm a fan of the demons + Japan + 420 blaze it aesthetic of the shin megami tenseis
Dev's still updating it fairly frequently, though most of the fluff is still just what's wrapped up in the monsters (which is certainly a good variety) rather than the environment. Still, more to come in that regard now that there are interactable objects and player ghosts--looks like pretty cool stuff! Next release is scheduled for this weekend.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Unormal posted:

When a rogue-like puts strain on my i7 I know its doing its job.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

I definitely would, but you know what would be even better? Run the map generator in the background for adjacent maps. A few dozen MB of RAM is nothing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

When a rogue-like puts strain on my i7 I know its doing its job.

I wonder how long it'll be before we have a roguelike that requires an Internet connection because it offloads expensive calculations to the cloud.

I say this in part because I was wondering how this new feature would impact Qud on mobile devices.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The thing about the could is that it's only good for problems that are trivially parallelizable. Traditional roguelikes don't need that sort of computing power.

I could see something like Dwarf Fortress benefiting from cloud computing, just to brute force all the path finding it needs to function.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
gently caress you all why are there so many good ideas ugh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StoryTime posted:

I could see something like Dwarf Fortress benefiting from cloud computing, just to brute force all the path finding it needs to function.

madjackmcmad posted:

gently caress you all why are there so many good ideas ugh
These two posts back to back... "Dwarf Fortress, but in :yaycloud:" confirmed for winner?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Largely unrelated, but I was musing about a combat engine that is realtime-with-pause but also sort-of turn based, in that combatants spend a lot of time just standing around waiting until they've accumulated enough energy to a) decide what to do, and then b) do it. Most RPGs (indeed the vast majority) bake hit/miss into the combat calculations, and then derive animations (for spells, swinging weapons, etc.) from that calculation. But it occurred to me that you could do things in the reverse direction: have a spell fire a projectile, which is a sprite with a hitbox, and then it only hits and deals damage if the target doesn't move out of the way before it arrives.

Under this system, when a combatant finishes charging a tech or spell, the effect goes off "in real time" (i.e. instead of in a cutscene). Melee techs involve running up to the target and then swinging your weapon, but if the target is moving especially quickly, you might still swing at air. Projectiles could be fast (and thus reliable) or slow, and might also have some scatter reducing their accuracy -- basically anything you can do with an FPS gun, you could do as an effect in the game.

You could even have Zelda-style floor traps on the battlefield, constantly moving around and smacking a big gob of hitpoints off of any combatant that makes a poorly-timed movement.

I'm not sure if this sounds amazing or horrible to me. Implementation at least ought to be pretty straightforward, but would it be fun to play? You're sitting there, sweating bullets as this huge spiked steel ball slowly bears down on your mage, who just got his turn. Does he have enough time to charge a defensive spell to reflect it back at its caster, or can he move out of the way in time, or should he just block and hope for the best?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Have you looked at the way Laser Squad Nemesis or Frozen Synapse did that kind of thing? A planning turn with everything paused, then everyone's plans play out in real time for x time?

The way grenades worked in those games seems like the start of what you are thinking about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Theswarms posted:

Have you looked at the way Laser Squad Nemesis or Frozen Synapse did that kind of thing? A planning turn with everything paused, then everyone's plans play out in real time for x time?

The way grenades worked in those games seems like the start of what you are thinking about.

I've played Frozen Synapse, but not LSN. Frozen Synapse isn't exactly like what I'm imagining, in that everyone takes their turns simultaneously -- there's constant action in "real time". What I'm thinking of, for a single PC, looks like:

1. PC is idle and charging energy.
2. PC reaches enough energy to hit DECIDE step and choose an action to perform (and a target to perform it on)
3. PC charges action
4. PC reaches enough energy to hit ACT and performs action

In steps 1-3, the PC is standing still while the battle rages on around them. It's only in step 4 that they get to move (assuming their chosen action involves movement). Meanwhile there are various battle sprites moving across the battlefield, possibly hitting them. Importantly, all PCs (and all combatants) are desynchronized from each other, i.e. each of them is at a different point on the energy scale. At least at the start of a fight, combatant energy levels will be arranged so that one is getting to take an action every second or so.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Sounds like the way turns and interrupts are decided in the JRPG series Grandia, though that still relies on dice rolls.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Friend posted:

Sounds like the way turns and interrupts are decided in the JRPG series Grandia, though that still relies on dice rolls.

Not entirely on dice rolls. It's possible to miss normal/cancel attacks by the target moving at the same time (though spells and special moves ensure that they'll at least make contact).

I really like Grandia's combat system though and I want it back. :(

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've played Frozen Synapse, but not LSN. Frozen Synapse isn't exactly like what I'm imagining, in that everyone takes their turns simultaneously -- there's constant action in "real time". What I'm thinking of, for a single PC, looks like:

2. PC reaches enough energy to hit DECIDE step and choose an action to perform (and a target to perform it on)
3. PC charges action

In steps 1-3, the PC is standing still while the battle rages on around them. It's only in step 4 that they get to move (assuming their chosen action involves movement). Meanwhile there are various battle sprites moving across the battlefield, possibly hitting them. Importantly, all PCs (and all combatants) are desynchronized from each other, i.e. each of them is at a different point on the energy scale. At least at the start of a fight, combatant energy levels will be arranged so that one is getting to take an action every second or so.

I was more thinking about the movement and real time attacks - grenades in those games can be fired blindly and bounced off walls to where your opponents are/might be. The guessing game of where your enemy would be in 4 seconds for a grenade to hit them was a really fun part of those games. Plus grenades could be traveling across turns, so you could use them to make the enemy run into other traps by leaving one visible at the end of the turn.

That's what the attack charge system made me think of.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Internet Friend posted:

It's explicitly modeled after Grandia, yeah. As Prism said, there wasn't much in the way of dice rolls in that game; as I recall it was possible to miss due to RNG (your target would just briefly phase out and you'd swing right through them) but it was rare. But even in Grandia, all spells and techs are cutscenes; the only things that happen in real time are standard attacks and movement. I think that really downplays the importance of positioning and timing, but I'm wondering if that's a good thing considering how little control the player has over where their PCs are and when they get to act.

Maybe the player should be able to hit an interrupt button that lets a PC take a turn early at some cost (greatly increased charge time until their next turn?). So the player always has agency, it's just a question of if they're willing to pay the price for that agency.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

3. PC charges action

ToME4 actually does something like this, so you might want to look into it if you haven't played it. A huge number of projectiles, if not all, are actual objects with travel time. It's particularly noticeable when you're playing something like a Cursed with +300% move speed buff and can outrun or dodge slower projectiles. I've also had position swaps just in time to eat my own nukes. I think there's even a brawler class with a time slowing aura when projectiles come near to simulate the idea of catching arrows with your hand.

I believe most actions still occur immediately on your turn so there's no charging up, though. Just the travel time.

Tiramisu fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 6, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

It's explicitly modeled after Grandia, yeah. As Prism said, there wasn't much in the way of dice rolls in that game; as I recall it was possible to miss due to RNG (your target would just briefly phase out and you'd swing right through them) but it was rare. But even in Grandia, all spells and techs are cutscenes; the only things that happen in real time are standard attacks and movement. I think that really downplays the importance of positioning and timing, but I'm wondering if that's a good thing considering how little control the player has over where their PCs are and when they get to act.

Maybe the player should be able to hit an interrupt button that lets a PC take a turn early at some cost (greatly increased charge time until their next turn?). So the player always has agency, it's just a question of if they're willing to pay the price for that agency.

The odds of an evasion (which got displayed as SWAY, which confused me the first few times I saw it) aren't great unless you have an ability or gear that specifically boosts them, whereupon it becomes a downright regular occurrence. I also can't remember if Grandia 1 had it at all.

Even the spells and techs that cause cutscenes can partially 'miss', though most of the times they'll hit at least somewhat; Howl's wind razor discs have trouble repeatedly hitting small targets and thus will do more damage to big guys, at least in Grandia 2, for instance. That's not a timing thing but a size/target one, though. I assume it's for the same reason you mention; it's hard to get direct control over positioning in Grandia, and turns come up when they come up. Turn-timing effects could help, but I'm not sure what the best cost on that would be.

Edit: and now I want to play Grandia 3 again. I did buy it during the PSN sale...

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Edit: and now I want to play Grandia 3 again. I did buy it during the PSN sale...

Don't do it, it's really bad. :negative:

I definitely remember (in Grandia II) getting a ridiculously huge combo by using the circular-area-effect wind spell against one of the huger bosses, but I don't remember it doing more damage as a consequence. I always kind of assumed that the combo meter was completely irrelevant for multihit spells. Then again, maybe I just wasn't paying close attention to the numbers.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ain't bothered posting about it much in the thread since i would imagine it would be super boring to read but (re)learning C# has been going well. Worried about seeming too derivative with some aspects of my basic structure though. In particular i really like the map system of Qud and the animation of dungeonmans to the point that i'm basically considering stealing both of them, it doesn't help that they seem easier to program and art than any alternative ideas i can think of.

edit: Also on the subject of grandia 3 ive heard that the other aspects of it are bad but it has the best implementation of the combat.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 6, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Clever Spambot posted:

Worried about seeming too derivative

Don't. Steal anything and everything. You'll invariably put your own spin on it in the process of ripping it off anyway.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DoomRL is now open source: https://github.com/ChaosForge/doomrl

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

doomrl readme posted:

This release is dedicated to *eniMax, and the Jupiter Hell Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020043306/jupiter-hell-a-modern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike

Anyone have thoughts/info on Jupiter Hell?

Also,

quote:

Parts of this codebase date back to 2002, please do not judge! :P
:3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

taqueso posted:

Also,

:3:

Jupiter Hell is basically a sequel to DoomRL and it looks like it'll be a fun fast-paced roguelike - it's 70% funded on kickstarter with like a week left, so fingers crossed they'll get enough money to make it.

And - that's part of why they're calling DoomRL D**mRL now - they drew down attention from one of the companies holding Doom's copyright and had to change its name, likely because they were using DoomRL to advertise their kickstarter.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I definitely remember (in Grandia II) getting a ridiculously huge combo by using the circular-area-effect wind spell against one of the huger bosses, but I don't remember it doing more damage as a consequence. I always kind of assumed that the combo meter was completely irrelevant for multihit spells. Then again, maybe I just wasn't paying close attention to the numbers.

I've played it before. The battle system is superb, the story is... not. That said, I played Grandia XTreme and it's not like that has a better story.

Edit: Howl does indeed do more damage with more hits. Now that I think about it I may be confusing 2 with XTreme, though, where one of the bonus flags you could get on multi-hit spells like Howl was more hits (and thus more damage). Regardless, it's definitely been true in at least one Grandia game even if it wasn't 2.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 6, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

taqueso posted:

Yeah, it looks way worse than I thought it would. Why they went with full 3D is beyond me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Grandia III makes a really good use of the kinds of spells for different situations, compared to Grandia 2. You have spells that while hitting multiple times, can either hit immediately to build up the combo and greatly increase the damage of following attacks or staggered hits that slow the enemy IP or stop them from attacking, while risking counter damage or getting canceled. I can lock bosses from getting an attack off. The combat is much better than Grandia 2 and its somehow worse story.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, it looks way worse than I thought it would. Why they went with full 3D is beyond me.

You can play it in ascii too.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
:black101:Rogue Scholar 2016: Winter is Coding:black101:

Sorry for the delay in getting these results out, it took some thinking and some doing. Unormal picked one, Zircon picked one, and I picked two because I'm weak and made of tissue. If you submitted an entry for consideration in the contest, I took some time to write some thoughts about what you could do to get moving in the month ahead. Everyone who risked soul-crushing rejection got a little bit of reward. I added a "Try making a playable _______" sentence to each write up. Please feel free to ignore it and throw it right into the trash if you like, it's just my opinion on a small goal to aim for to help you test out your ideas and make the magic happen. Before taking any of my advice please recall that my CV includes a credit on Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I encourage all of you to get to work, share your progress, and encourage each other too. Here's the discord server: https://discord.gg/dBktUPJ

It's a place where you can come by and get some coaching about making games if you feel like it.

Did you get chosen? Send your chooser a PM or just email jim@dungeonmans.com and I will connect you to them.

Sodomy Non Sapiens | Mythica RL (:h:Madjack Choice #1:h:)
MIGHTY FEATS! I love everything about this and want to play it right now. The musou themed action and large area attacks fit well with a sprite pack, meaty visuals would help sell the potency in the gameplay. I am very interested in the procgen legacy idea for weapons and would love to see you put it together. You might wake up in a tub of ice with stitches where that idea was when I steal it for myself (I probably will not do this). Feats of Legend could be a true last resort where they have a non zero chance to simply kill you at the end, because that's how all these great stories end anyway, with the hero doing something incredibly awesome and mighty at the cost of all remaining stremf. Fun fun fun. Please get to work on this. Try making a playable where you have the large area powers you described and fight hordes in a set arena, wave by wave, until you are overwhelmed. Great baseline to start from.

StoryTime | Tom Clancy's Tactical Corridor Assault (:h:Madjack Choice #2:h:)
This game is perfect in size and scope for this challenge, and I want to play it tonight. I like score attack games, I like planning out runs, so yes, please gimme. Interesting enemies and purchasable loot with clever powers will make the simplicity of the run be a boon instead of a bane, but you'll miss if it just feels like running down the same dry hallway over and over so don't do that. Try making a playable where you go down the corridor and play and win because basically that is your whole game, so just try making your game I guess! Get thee some sprites.

Tiramisu | @'s High Noon (:h:Zircon Choice:h:)
I love this concept! Simple and discrete but full of gameplay variation. Please give it to me. It was going to be one of my choices but then I realized you had no need for any of the sprites Oryx can offer. Nothing there is hex or western, so they'd all be useless. Fortunately, Zircon independently chose your game to receive some music, so it gets to have something cool. I was getting ready to rip sprites from Sunset Riders for you. Try making a playable which is just a one on two shootout at high noon, then add randomization to the environment in terms of obstacles, sunlight, and weapon ranges. Once that feels interesting, go nuts on map generation, baddie count, and interactive environments.

spider wisdom & Angryhead | Escape from Aeon (:h:Unormal Choice:h:)
Unormal's words: "Of all the great descriptions, it was simply the one that sounded like I was most likely to pop the cartridge in and play!" Can't beat that. I like what the two of you have put together in the links you shared and I agree that you're on the road to something solid. Try making a playable where Unormal smiles warmly when he dies.

:cheers:More exciting game ideas!

TooMuchAbstraction | TactRL
I think anyone trying to resurrect Grandia's engine is doing The Right Thing. The rest of it feels like an abundance of cool ideas and goals that don't necessarily gel together in the best way. That's how game making goes though, ideas naturally wax and wane, some will be cut and you'll be left with the best. Try making a playable where a party of three all feel useful while avoiding combat in a level.

Poison Mushroom GodsRune
Item combination in this idea sounds like a great time, especially if clever combinations help you carry more things. UI stuff for arranging and combining items will likely be the hardest part of the work. Try making a playable that allows for item combining in two ways: one where item A + B make recipe item C, another where A attaches to B to make an A'd B, and see how you end up storing and manipulating that data.

Theswarms
Focused, solid idea with room for growth. What does combat feel like? Is it a roguelike or a tactics game, it wasn't clear from the description. Either one would make for a great winter project! Try making a playable that has equipment enough for three simple fighting types (sword, hammer, sling?) and shuffle out random gear in a set arena against set baddies.

Voisk
High concept stuff here. The theme you settle on will make a lot of difference. It'll be a challenge to create so many disparate attacks and have them feel like they gel into solid gameplay without a great amount of massaging. Try making a playable with three different attack types in a large room with random enemy placement and random wall obstacles, worry about designing fully fleshed out areas later.

hito | Blasted Waste
A big and exciting project, each mode is going to be a lot to tackle. You describe combat in a single sentence, but it will be lots of work to get a "simple" FF style menu simulator feeling fun. Fast monsters and monsters that tank aggression are different concepts when taken from the grid/move/attack world and into FF combat menus. HOM-proofing is a lofty goal, but don't forget humans do love to optimize, it makes our brains tingle to solve puzzles. Try making a playable where you pick one of the three (combat, questing, travel) and show why it's fun while using fakey events and dialog boxes to cover the other two.

bent over for u bb
This sounds like a lot of fun to work on. Hand of Luke would be excited to see how you progress on it, I think. I wonder what makes a Dogsword of Flesh Yogurt different from a Slobbering Axe of Obamacare Jr. Would the algorithm actually understand the gist of words like slobbering and Obamacare and craft item effects accordingly? Try making a playable that takes a text file and makes a thematically tied together weapon, enemy, and special enemy ability all based on the text. A uses a B which lets him C, but kill A and you can swing around a B while Cing all day.

Clever Spambot | Wizard Quest
The infusions and environmental effects are the big gems here. All the bolded qualities are good, and I think they blend together well but those two are the standouts. Try making a playable that puts you in a set arena with a couple of randomized environment objects and an enemy you can gather infusions from, then just let the player keep killing and growing until the monsters get too hard.

Robo Cicero | Manse
I'm a sucker for "build it then invade it" type games, there were some on the PSP that I really liked. I also like Through the Mirror as a gameplay concept, some people find mirrors so darned spooky. There's a lot of work to do here, running the day mode, then building out the level, then running night mode to invade it might feel like three different games. Try making a playable where you do some rudimentary dungeon building, then make a run through it with loot and dangerous enemies placed correctly based on distance and size.

Fuzzy Slippers | Robots Hate Magic
One of the best themes in the mix, with genuinely cool non-combat ideas. I love the thought of finding a local superstition that explains away your robot powers. The mechanics at play seem complex and will require a lot of work to get right, as just getting bump combat working is not even 10% of what you have in mind. Try making a playable where the president and enemies are in the same place every time, but you're given a variety of items and abilities to make some runs about fitting in, others about stealth, and others simple combat.

Too Shy Guy | Modular Space
This is a tall loving order, and I think you use those exact words in your own pitch, so at least you're aware. Game sounds like it would be a good time, especially in the short controlled 20/30 minute burst gameplay range. Focus on the modular weapons first, try making a playable where you go through a set environment with set enemies and randomized parts laying about, and see how that changes your playstyle. If you really tear into this project, don't get discouraged if you find yourself falling short of some of the high-falutin' words you use in your Design Philosophy paragraph. There's plenty of fun to be had in this idea even if it isn't the perfect synthesis of Spelunky+Gungeon+BoI+ToME.

Princey | Mahou Shoujo Rouguraiku
"Emphasis is less on groundbreaking mechanics and more on shouting ridiculous attack names, stupid enemies made from whatever the villains found lying around, playing mahou shoujo tropes to the hilt, and having fun." Points for honesty here! I love when people include "having fun" in a set of game goals. I think the flavor will make this one a good time, and it is a perfect size/scope for a starter project. The real challenge is making that ultimate build up an engaging gameplay loop. Try making a playable where the combat to earn up enough Sailor Juice to use your ultimate hakuto-no-ken kidney punch is interesting rather than just bumping to fill a meter.

Ziggy Starfucker | Crawlsterfuck
I am really sweet on this concept, the gameplay loop therein, and I also love goofy rear end MiB technology. If I had the means to prop up a third set of sprites it would be here. Shoot on the run for free + enemies beating each other up sounds like a riotous good time. Try to make a playable where the Shoot on the run works against hordes, and the hordes + environment give you a reason to run with a specific goal in mind rather than just "away from the bads". Maybe even go as far out as Smash TV / Total Carnage and have the game pop up bursts of psychic energy to be collected as brief powerups to keep the running interesting.

ZeeToo | World of Ghosts
Great concept that will take mountains of effort. Procedural story telling is hella difficult, and the amount of content needed to make the system interesting is a tremendous challenge. Could go for the simple and obviously procgen approach, "Ratilla the YOUNG likes POTATOES and hates when people STUDY TOO MANY RED BOOKS. She wants TO GO to PARIS before she DIES" but that will end being more comedy than desired perhaps. From a tech perspective it won't be hard to create NPCs with needs that can be filled by dungeon gameplay, but making those needs and NPCs interesting using procedural methods is an order of magnitude harder than any other gameplay concept in the thread. Try making a playable that lets you meet two NPCs that have interesting friction between them that that can be resolved by choosing one over the other or somehow placating them both. Good luck!

MantlingTheWatcher | A Mech Tournament Game
Doesn't want sprites! Very battletech, and we all like battletech. Having gear size matter with regards to how easy it is to hit or how long it would last in combat is a solid concept and not often well implemented. Try making a playable where *enemy* AI shows up with various gear assemblies, and the player uses a base robot with a default loadout to defeat these procgen badbots. Why the enemy first? It saves you making an assembly UI, and saves you from writing AI that knows what part to target and why. Do all that later, right now you want to see if combat is interesting when pieces fall off robots.

everythingWasBees | An Ascii Action-Roguelike
I like the gameplay concepts, especially the shield focus. Dungeon as an ecosystem: A fine idea, and the trouble that devs get into right away is that they have a really hard time making the players know or care about what went on in the area's history. ALife is a cool subject to tackle, but in games it boils down to asking if the player noticed the effects of the computation. So often the answer is no. Try making a playable where you start with a simple hand made dungeon floor that then gets a few passes of ALife over it, and see if you can find friends to just explore the areas and ask them what they thought happened.

Irony.Or.Death
I think this could be terrific if you go the distance. Sneaking around town at night, stealing people to make your monster stronger, A+. The other parts are great too but that feels like your core and would set you apart from most dungeon crawls. Save the dungeons and other monster lairs for later, try making a playable about stealing people, killing town guards and maybe taking the alpha vampire in town down a peg.

Alehkhs
I like the ambition here. Dive and water mechanics in an RL are underused, would like to see those play out. The meta game mechanics of researching a run beforehand could be fun, especially if there's some gameplay involved with resources like time/money to plan said run. Tons of potential, but getting the water right will take work. Try making a playable where diving is optional but often desirable, with multiple paths to an objective based on whether you go above or below. You can keep the map static for the first playable and instead add randomness to what spawns where, so the player has to choose differently each time.

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 7, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Congrats to all the winners! And thanks for doing this, madjack, Zircon, and Unormal! You've clearly struck a nerve. :v:

quote:

TooMuchAbstraction | TactRL
I think anyone trying to resurrect Grandia's engine is doing The Right Thing. The rest of it feels like an abundance of cool ideas and goals that don't necessarily gel together in the best way. That's how game making goes though, ideas naturally wax and wane, some will be cut and you'll be left with the best. Try making a playable where a party of three all feel useful while avoiding combat in a level.

I'll freely admit that some of the goals are basically me going "Here's everything that's wrong with RPGs and how I'm not going to do those things!" :bahgawd: I'll probably find out that some of those horrible, wrong ideas are actually very good ones and have to readjust.

Good eye on the playable. My first goal is to get fights working, though; making combat avoidance into a meaningful aspect of gameplay will require some very careful dungeon generation. Much easier to make the game where fighting is fun, first, even if there's not necessarily an in-game reward for participating in said combat.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

quote:

spider wisdom & Angryhead | Escape from Aeon (:h:Unormal Choice:h:)
Unormal's words: "Of all the great descriptions, it was simply the one that sounded like I was most likely to pop the cartridge in and play!" Can't beat that. I like what the two of you have put together in the links you shared and I agree that you're on the road to something solid. Try making a playable where Unormal smiles warmly when he dies.

Let me know via e-mail to unormal@gmail.com what sprite pack you'd like (or other dev tool of similar value)!

All the entries were awesome and I generally agree with madjackmcmad's feedback, I'll see if I can get a similar effortpost up just detailing my general feelings about each entry by this weekend. Everyone's ideas are awesome, and if you have the gumption to put pitches like this together you can do the actual game-making part for sure, just a matter of spending the time.

Feel free to let me know on the reddit roguelike discord or PM or e-mail if you want coding help, I'll be happy to pitch in some advice!

Thanks to madjackmcmad for doing all the work!

If you haven't yet, you can check out my IRDC bricks-and-mortar presentations on entity-component systems and AI here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxN5GqXcaA

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Thanks for doing this, you guys! The winners do indeed sound super cool and the feedback for everyone is excellent.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
These last few pages have been such a joy to read, and to cap it off a nice summary with excellent observations and suggestions by madjackmcmad! Can't wait to see what kinds of progress emerges from this over the winter.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. It was already my plan to start by just faking different start conditions in combat and cleaning up the core loop, but it's good to get confirmation it's the right approach. I decided to try start in Unity, since I found something called the ORK framework that looks like it might be enough to get me going. I want to make sure the battles with starting perks are interesting, instead of the BOI trap of having a boring core loop papered over by a quickly expanding game state.

I'm also going to :siren:unilaterally add another phase to the contest.:siren: Here how it works:

You have just over a week (until 11:59 Pacific December 14) to post a screenshot, gif, or video of some content from your game. This can be a direct game screenshot full of programmer art, or an "under the hood" screenshot like a battle system algorithm. The point is to show that you've gotten over that first hump of having nothing (easily the biggest killer of any software project) and have a thing that can be interacted with, even if it is terrible and looks like rear end. I'll link it in the spreadsheet under "first content link".

On the 15th, I'll look at ALL of the content shown from anyone who had a first content post, so don't feel like you need to work on having the "best first post". I'll judge based on everything you posted between now and EOD Dec 14th.

I'll pick a winner and send an art print, hopefully one that reminds you of your game (no promise for some of the weirder ones) and serves as a visual reminder to keep chugging. Alternatively, a $30 gift card if you don't want to give your address to an internet stranger. My judging criteria is going to be effort and willingness to receive criticism more than polish or design decisions - even if you're not making a game that matches my personal taste, it's about making a friggin game at all, dawg.

Additionally, I'll randomly pick one other person from the first content posters and send them a Steam copy of Spelunky, a beautiful success story of what a dinky lil freeware roguelike can grow up to be. So even if you don't have time to try the hardest, trying at all can get you one of the best games in the modern roguelike canon.

While I would love to see more of the super polished stuff from the folks already working on games, and I will put y'all down in the spreadsheet, please note that I'm saving the awards for the folks who will be just starting their games now, since the intent is to get people to have the momentum you already have. :)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

hito posted:

I'm also going to :siren:unilaterally add another phase to the contest.:siren:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good job to everyone

for what it's worth even if you didn't get picked that doesn't mean your idea was bad

i dont think i saw a single concept i wouldn't try

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also whats a link to the discord

tia

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Great contest, and congrats to the idea-generators!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yup, congrats to all the winners and looking forwards to what comes out of this! All great ideas, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Sodomy Non Sapiens | Mythica RL (:h:Madjack Choice #1:h:)
Oh man, I won! :neckbeard:
..........Oh man, I won..... :stare:
Welp, time to start making things I guess!

Congratulations to the other winners and honestly good work to anyone who put an idea up, please keep working on it even if you didn't win a prize!
Because I absolutely want to be able to play some of these ideas.

madjackmcmad also posted:

MIGHTY FEATS! I love everything about this and want to play it right now. The musou themed action and large area attacks fit well with a sprite pack, meaty visuals would help sell the potency in the gameplay. I am very interested in the procgen legacy idea for weapons and would love to see you put it together. You might wake up in a tub of ice with stitches where that idea was when I steal it for myself (I probably will not do this). Feats of Legend could be a true last resort where they have a non zero chance to simply kill you at the end, because that's how all these great stories end anyway, with the hero doing something incredibly awesome and mighty at the cost of all remaining stremf. Fun fun fun. Please get to work on this. Try making a playable where you have the large area powers you described and fight hordes in a set arena, wave by wave, until you are overwhelmed. Great baseline to start from.

Thank you for this, I cannot stress enough how useful a "trying working towards getting this bit first" post is to give some form of direction, digging out the skeleton from the shambling monstrosity of my idea. I'm pretty sure I picked up that GameMaker bundle that Humble Bundle did a while back, so that'll certainly give me a starting point to work from, and now I have a project for this weekend!