Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fairness I'd be tempted to ram into that at full speed as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Agreeing with wanting to ram this myself.

That said that is a gross oversimplification because we are talking about stereoscopic imagery and that would be flat for the most part.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

In the heart of every driverless car cpu... and Canadian apparently... beats a jihadi, just dying to plow their car2go into some American military vehicle.

Bug or feature?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

As someone who bikes to work most of the time I'd much rather share the road with robot cars that might glitch and kill me accidentally vs. humans who might try to kill me on purpose because they had to slow down for 5 seconds.

Personally I'd rather have cities build cycling infrastructure that obviates us sharing traffic lanes with cars in the first place

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That doesn't do you a lot of good when they're willing to hop a curb and drive down the sidewalk to kill you.

OSI bean dip posted:

That said that is a gross oversimplification because we are talking about stereoscopic imagery and that would be flat for the most part.

So was this

Didn't slow them down none.

Well, a bit, I guess.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 7, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bike infrastructure saves lives now as opposed to 20 years from now when maybe 1/3 of us can afford robot cars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but it saves cyclist lives, so

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

That doesn't do you a lot of good when they're willing to hop a curb and drive down the sidewalk to kill you.

Check your pedestrian privledge. If it wasn't involves a vehicle it is considered an accident according to the courts.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Personally I'd rather have cities build cycling infrastructure that obviates us sharing traffic lanes with cars in the first place

This is also good.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cool :hfive:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jfood posted:

I'm waiting on the return of 'pinkos', you think they'd have figured out it's the new 'thug'.

edit: Why did the computer want to kill the Blackbird pilot? He was keeping us safe from those said same commies.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/07/don_cherry_rips_leftwing_pinkos_at_council_inaugural.html

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

So was this

Didn't slow them down none.

Well, a bit, I guess.

You had an idiot at the wheel who decided that he'd catch up on a five-year old Harry Potter movie instead of paying attention to what their car was doing. Also Elon Musk should've not been so flippant about using radar, lidar, and other sensors other than stereoscopic imagery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

You had an idiot at the wheel who decided that he'd catch up on a five-year old Harry Potter movie instead of paying attention to what their car was doing. Also Elon Musk should've not been so flippant about using radar, lidar, and other sensors other than stereoscopic imagery.

They've always used RADAR and ultrasonics. But please, stop.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Not sure if weird trolling or if OSI became a Silicon Valley techbro who wants to use technology to solve a societal issue

edit: wait I get it you're trying to make the point that nothing is as simple as it seems and that there's no easy solution for anything, right?

Using technology to solve a societal issue is not inherently a bad thing. The 'perfect' solution would be to completely re-jig our cities such that it's straightforward to get around via various forms of mass public transit/bikes/whatever. That isn't going to happen in our lifetimes; our north american car dependencies run too deep. If we do actually manage to pull off driversless cars, it's a game changer. Think of all the elderly people that are still on the road that should have turned in their licences eons ago. They hold on to their driving privileges like grim death because driving a car is freedom. It simply isn't feasible for them to get around and with our aging population this is problem is simply going to get worse. A pool of automated cars obediently shuffling people to where they need to be is a good solution, and probably more likely to happen than our idealized wunder-infrastructure.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

BattleMaster posted:

I expect a human to be able to make better sense of what they're seeing than a machine, and to be able to adapt to unusual situations better than a machine.

I think you have a very unrealistic expectation of people on the road

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Booourns posted:

I think you have a very unrealistic expectation of people on the road

More like people expect a lot more out of computers than they are currently capable of.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No self driving car will ever drive in the winter. Ever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Ever is a long time, Vintersong.

If, say, it were made standard for all new vehicles to be connected to the same navigation network and old vehicles to be slowly phased out there should be a point where it's possible.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 7, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

The Concensus is the survey was full of loaded with questions that place you into 5 preselected categories created by consultants. The only data analysis at play will be counting the number of respondents per postal code.

It's pretty smart by the Liberals actually. Each category is broad enough that it includes multiple potential points of electoral reform. For example, Innovators might be pro-PR but also pro-evoting or pro-lowering the voting age or pro-quotas for minority candidates. So the Liberals can easily interpret the percentage of Innovators that they get as a mandate for quotas or evoting while completely ignoring the high demand for some kind of proportionality, especially since the questions were all vague enough that there's no outright data their opponents can point to saying "90% of respondents said yes when we asked "do you want proportional representation?""

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the trudeau governments modern equivalent of a royal commissions seems to be crappy online surveys and town halls

i feel like the last year has been constant lovely surveys on whatever contentious issue theyre trying to wiggle their way out of making a decision

i fully expect to have an "online consultation" about marijuana next

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy gently caress stop making governance "interactive"

No more loving referendums or plebiscites or loving online surveys

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

Honestly this type of poo poo will only drive more people away from democracy since it's in those terms that the liberals cloak their garbage horseshit and make it easy for some proto fascists to get elected

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/806344044834123776

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Bike infrastructure saves lives now as opposed to 20 years from now when maybe 1/3 of us can afford robot cars.

I just wish bike infrastructure were built at the expense of driving lanes instead of short-term parking. The thinking, at least in Calgary, seems to be that we can't possibly inconvenience people who are driving, but we can and should be a pain in the rear end to anyone who's stopping and doing something in the downtown area. Thus, we eliminated a parking lane on a low-speed avenue to accommodate a bike lane, rather than putting a bike lane on the street that's wide, fast and thus inherently difficult to cycle on without a bike lane as-is. Dense areas depend on short-term parking (for pickups, deliveries, etc.) but should penalize through-traffic and long-term parking.

EDIT: On-street parking should be priced exponentially in high-density areas. It should be cheap to park for 5 minutes, it should be prohibitively loving expensive to park for longer than 30 minutes.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 7, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How about we turn all of Calgary into a short term parking lot with a couple 100 megaton nukes

A nice flat glass parking lot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

How about we turn all of Calgary into a short term parking lot with a couple 100 megaton nukes

Also a good idea.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fustrating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I want to kick that son of a bitch right in the testicles.

But he shouldn't worry, because that comment wasn't to be taken literally, it's just because I'm frustrated that he's a complete loving moron with a broken brain. I wasn't meaning literally kick him in the cock and balls.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

jfood posted:

I'm waiting on the return of 'pinkos', you think they'd have figured out it's the new 'thug'.

'muslims'

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

namaste faggots posted:

Calgary really isn't the problem. I mean we're whiny as gently caress sure, but it's the countryside that votes terribly.

e: loving lol at the Alberta Party who apparently wants to unite with the PCs though. Why did you even want to exist at all, and now your plan is to tie yourself down on a sinking ship?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 7, 2016

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

Program it to go about 25% slower regularly during snowfall and like 60% slower on turns/braking/acceleration. The same thing the rest of us do to avoid an accident. Its not that special.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think the really fun case is the one with heavy rain at night, which makes the lane markings on the road all but impossible to see because half the paint has been scraped off.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

So what he's saying is that every CPC voter who speaks their mind like Uncle Joe should be removed from the voting pool. I agree.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

I think the really fun case is the one with heavy rain at night, which makes the lane markings on the road all but impossible to see because half the paint has been scraped off.

The robots can see in IR though. Even with half the paint missing that should still be better than your puny human eyes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

There's a big trial going on this year in Pittsburgh with Uber's self-driving vehicles. They get snow there, so it should be a good test.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

As someone who endured California politics, I agree that direct democracy is loving terrible.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

vyelkin posted:

It's pretty smart by the Liberals actually. Each category is broad enough that it includes multiple potential points of electoral reform. For example, Innovators might be pro-PR but also pro-evoting or pro-lowering the voting age or pro-quotas for minority candidates. So the Liberals can easily interpret the percentage of Innovators that they get as a mandate for quotas or evoting while completely ignoring the high demand for some kind of proportionality, especially since the questions were all vague enough that there's no outright data their opponents can point to saying "90% of respondents said yes when we asked "do you want proportional representation?""

Actually I think they're going the opposite way. They're bringing up the words "broad consensus" often enough that I'm guessing they're working as hard as they can to fail to find any broad consensus.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Count Roland posted:

There's a big trial going on this year in Pittsburgh with Uber's self-driving vehicles. They get snow there, so it should be a good test.

Do they get snow like Winnipeg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tepkic1RTZY

This is from last night.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tsyni posted:

Fustrating.

What an awful butchering of the language which is becoming more and more common :(

Vintersorg posted:

Do they get snow like Winnipeg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tepkic1RTZY

This is from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tepkic1RTZY&t=142s Truck equity supremecy lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Citizen Tayne posted:

Just saw an Uber self-driving car get confused by a blinking left arrow telling it to get in the left lane (right lane under construction) at Liberty Ave and Market St. It just sat there with the left turn signal blinking through a green cycle. Lmao.

(Was a silver Volvo)