Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, did that site really think it's "Home to Bel-Air"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keigel
Oct 19, 2008

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm made out of gum.
He got on one little flight , and the goons got scared.
They said "explain how his Ma could afford travel fare."

I deserve your boos. :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Keigel posted:

He got on one little flight , and the goons got scared.
They said "explain how his Ma could afford travel fare."

I deserve your boos. :(

:thurman:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, did that site really think it's "Home to Bel-Air"?

Leave out one little letter...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not really a movie, but I was rewatching hte song Me Myself and I from Phineas and Ferb and I just noticed the first two abstract backgrounds are animated - the first suggests cells dividing and the second is scattered medicine caplets having their shells separated. Just never noticed it before.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BioEnchanted posted:

Not really a movie, but I was rewatching hte song Me Myself and I from Phineas and Ferb and I just noticed the first two abstract backgrounds are animated - the first suggests cells dividing and the second is scattered medicine caplets having their shells separated. Just never noticed it before.

Okay be honest are you stuck in the past people can send help for you, you don't have to stay there!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Ranma Fan Art posted:

Okay be honest are you stuck in the past people can send help for you, you don't have to stay there!

Nah, he's just an INCREDIBLY well-planned series of scheduled posts from somewhere around the year 2003.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I just noticed that in Rushmore, when Max sends the bees into Herman's room, "Enjoy Your Stay" is written in Max's specific calligraphy on the card that came with Herman's breakfast.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing that I keep being reminded of is that despite the humour being weaker I enjoy the imagery of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 as a contrast to the first one, which the final stages of the FLDSMDFR illustrate nicely. In the first movie (I'll spoil this out of fairness like I normally do even if some people find it silly to do so) the machine is constantly being fed a stream of requests largely revolving around junk food. At as result when it mutates it has only got the raw materials for said junk, highly processed meats and cheeses that coalesce into the Meateor as it becomes known. It is big, brown and garish, the only colours being muted meaty or hideous candy colours, all bright yellows and greens interspersed with dull browns and drab reds, with the FLDSMDFR hanging from what can only be described as a giant marshmallow tentacle. Visually it is like the inside of a giant beast, all sticky and sharp with no safe places to stand. However this foreshadows it's later behaviour - it is an organism at this point, no longer machine but having constructed a protein layer with protective "drones" protecting it, it has become alive in the truest sense.

Then, as the second movie begins and we first arrive back on the island when the mission starts to retrieve it, the first colours we see are pale pastel trees, light blues and pinks, and why wouldn't the trees be odd colours - look at the soil that they had to work with! All those additives in the rotting husk that was once the meteor have been absorbed by vegetation and the first Foodimals we see are brightly coloured vegetables and pale forms of meat like shrimp - no longer are we invaders in a host body being fought off, we are now visitors to a functioning ecosystem - the FLDSMDFR has evolved - it is now behaving like a mammal and almost human in how it is seen - it is lying in a pool of water, similar to a birthing pool, in a carefully constucted protective "womb", and it is able to choose it's own way - no longer is it overloading with bad requests from toxic people who aren't thinking - now it gets to decide what it makes and when. And as a bonus, the vines that it uses to give "birth" to the foodimals are layed out in the same patterns as Flint uses on all of his machines. The FLDSMDFR is no longer a machine in any real sense, it is basically looking up to Flint Lockwood like he does to his mother, trying to emulate him as best it can even down to the decorations it grows.

It's a complete visual 180 that works really well.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movies were way better than they had any right to be, and I have no idea if people have come around to that yet, or if I'm still going to have to follow up my recommendation of them with "no, wait, hear me out."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All the Apple stuff in the second one sucks but I remember the food jungle stuff being fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

The Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movies were way better than they had any right to be, and I have no idea if people have come around to that yet, or if I'm still going to have to follow up my recommendation of them with "no, wait, hear me out."

That was my favorite book as a child and I didn't hate the movie as an adult even though it differed significantly.

Also, Mr. T.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FLINT LOCK WOOD!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

I was sold as soon as I heard that the Clone High guys were involved. Frankly, between Cloudy, 21 Jump Street, and The LEGO Movie, they've got an amazing track record of making licensed adaptations way smarter and less cash-grabby than you'd expect them to be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The cloudy movies have enough animations in them to put a cg transformer to shame

Every millisecond something is moving

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Interesting tidbit from Denzel Washington talking about Alonzo's actions when he gets killed in Training Day:

quote:

But purely it was his ego, Alonzo’s ego. If you look at the end of the movie again he’s getting out of the car and pointing with his key cause he’s trying to get out of the trunk where his guns are cause he’s still until the end not giving up, what did he say? I’m gonna win anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not6 really a movie but I always like when I finally get context for something that I've only previously heard of through cultural osmosis - like there was this one Opera song I kept hearing where they only ever played the chorus - a woman (sounding like she was, may have just been a long note) laughing with this rhythm:

"oooooooooooh" then repeated an octave lower - then I went by chance to see Mozart's The Magic Flute - and heard it in context - the Queen of the Night's Aria, who is also the best character with the comic relief characters playing a close second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVV9jShEzU

Hilariously before that I went to see my first ever opera a few months prior - Fidelio, the only opera penned by Beethoven. My thoughts were "It was.. ok but I can see why he only wrote the one, they clearly weren't his strongest hand..."

Although this kind of counts because I think I saw Fidelio in a cinema - it was being streamed live from the venues that it was being performed at, although I saw Magic Flute in the actual theatre that the actors were performing in, which was cool.

Edit: For similar reasons I went to see the Marriage of Figaro - not being aware that it was the third in a trilogy and the song that I was expecting was actually in the previous installment - the Barber of Seville. I didn't even know that Figaro was the main character in Seville till I looked it up and found he was kind of an anthology character, being put in positions in which he can embarrass nobles by turning their own plots against them.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 19, 2016

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I was watching some adam sandler movies and for some reason I watched big daddy and thats my boy back to back. In big daddy he lets the little kid do what ever he wants and just goes with the flow but finds out thats a bad idea and corrects his mistake. In thats my boy you find out that the do what ever you want is how his son was raised.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BioEnchanted posted:

Edit: For similar reasons I went to see the Marriage of Figaro - not being aware that it was the third in a trilogy and the song that I was expecting was actually in the previous installment - the Barber of Seville. I didn't even know that Figaro was the main character in Seville till I looked it up and found he was kind of an anthology character, being put in positions in which he can embarrass nobles by turning their own plots against them.

I went to see Opera in the Outfield a few months ago, where the Kennedy Center streams a live opera to the screens in the Nats field, and they played Marriage of Figaro too. My friend and I had never seen one. We all loved it, but afterwards my friend was like "wait, where was the Bugs Bunny song" and then we looked it up and it blew our minds.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

snergle posted:

I was watching some adam sandler movies

why

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aleph Null posted:

Everything I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

They also played What's Opera, Doc? before the show for the kids. :v:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Guys I'm here to tell you that if you want to watch immature 90's movies, you want to go with Jim Carrey, this is a no-lose situation.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

They really are fantastic movies that suffered a lot from poor marketing IMHO - sure they had a few commercials here and there but compared to other animated flicks from Disney, Dreamworks and other studios, there wasn't a ton of hype for it.

Both are perfect with the silly animation style and Flint's goofy ideas make it charming and fun :)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess it's not subtle but I always liked the isometric drawing of the hula hoop in The Hudsucker Proxy. Coen Bros movies are chock full of subtle stuff.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's something everyones seen and probably knows about but the uninterrupted walk through the Copacabana restaurant is one of my favourite movie scenes, so much is going on, it's got the corny comedia, the tables getting whisked in mid show, it's just such an incredible scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEEVtqXdK8

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

movies from the 90s with a strong moral center. his room mates / bffs are gay and he doesn't care.

because my brother loves sandler movies and i have a soft spot for his pre little nicky movies

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Not a movie, but in the anime series Silver Spoon, a guest staying with a family offers to cook everyone ramen. The meal turns out to be incredibly foul and no one touches the food after the first taste except for the grandmother, who silently keeps eating. It's not stated why she does this, but earlier, it's revealed that she's over 100 years old, and so presumably lived through WW2 in Japan and probably learned to never waste food. Pretty simple but it was nice characterization.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm probably severely overanalysing here but I saw a neat parallel in the Lego Movie's opening to the movie Network - I don't know if it's an intentional homage or not, but the set up is very similar - a character is engaging with some form of media, and has a similar reaction -

Emmett the instruction book, telling him to greet the day, open the window and "say hello to the city" does so and is greeted by a chorus of voices all doing the same thing - they are all following the same programming instilled in them by Lord Businesses society and rules.

In Network the main character is watching the news on TV, and an anchor has a mental breakdown urging everyone to rail against the poo poo sandwich society has become with the now memetic phrase "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" - he opens his window to find the entire few blocks at least and maybe the whole city doing exactly that.

Both are presenting how complete the control by the media over everyone's lives is, but ones disguising it under layers of saccharine happiness while the other goes in the opposite direction. Either deliberate parallel or happy coincidence, but I thought it was neat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm woke as hell, and I'm going to change my facebook icon!!!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Marion Ravenwood has a lot of good little moments in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I particularly like a scene in the tavern in Nepal where a big brawl is happening. A small keg of liquor gets shot, and she sneaks a mouthful of the stuff as it drains out. The whole place is on fire, so I was expecting her to spit it into a torch to burn some henchmen. Nope! She just wanted a drink.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If you were in that situation wouldn't you?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rough Lobster posted:

Marion Ravenwood has a lot of good little moments in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I particularly like a scene in the tavern in Nepal where a big brawl is happening. A small keg of liquor gets shot, and she sneaks a mouthful of the stuff as it drains out. The whole place is on fire, so I was expecting her to spit it into a torch to burn some henchmen. Nope! She just wanted a drink.

This isn't a subtle moment but it wasn't until a recent viewing that I noticed the person she is drinking against is not an old lady.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

This isn't a subtle moment but it wasn't until a recent viewing that I noticed the person she is drinking against is not an old lady.

The whole loving joke is that she can drink a huge man under the table? What would even be the point of showing her in a drinking contest with an old lady?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Dec 24, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A huge old lady

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

A huge old lady

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
They were in Nepal. I'm pretty sure an old Nepalese yakherder woman is an tougher than most countries men.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rough Lobster posted:

They were in Nepal. I'm pretty sure an old Nepalese yakherder woman is an tougher than most countries men.

That was my thought.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

My mum pointed out to me (at the time) that the guy she's drinking with/against is Australian. I suppose she was warning me that I, a then 11 year old Australian girl, should be a Marion Ravenwood level badass before I try outdrinking my male compatriots. This advice has served me well over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's not all that subtle and not a spoiler but the scene in Dazed and Confused at the liquor store where the (both offscreen until his lecture has established direction) cashier is lecturing the pregnant mom about how she needs to eat greens every day and get lots of calcium while checking her out as she's smoking and buying another pack and a bottle of whisky really struck a note. The way he says "See you tomorrow night" with a reserved certainty tells me that baby is gonna have problems.

It has a good subtle visual joke because it takes enough of the short lecture (by the time he says something like "pregnant moms need calcium") to reveal the woman and then by the time you can see she's smoking while pregnant and what she bought, the cashier confirms that he's not being preachy showing concern because the pregnant woman with a pack+bottle a day habit really should try to eat food.

It's kinda bleak but a really funny filler for something to cover the time it took for a character to carry beer from cooler to checkout.