Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Update on last page.

At this point, the obvious immediate plot is that Klace is the villain, and the Midnight Murders are him sending his victims' souls to Terra in a sacrificial ritual. Our "Protagonists" are intended to be special sacrifices, and we can't actually stop him in chapter 1 so he wins.

Now that can't actually be right, because Klace removed himself from the game at the last minute doesn't actually make an appearance.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Caylen's a he? Is Jade the only female character so far?

Yeah I was a bit surprised at that myself. So far we have met two female characters, Jade and that maybe wolf lady whos name we don't know yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Finally, a conflict that relates to the protagonist, even if barely.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

So this little text box? It was drastically different in earlier versions, and boy oh boy do I remember it well:

Also, there used to be this line after Jade says "don't bang your head on the way out":

Also, I'm just going to spoil right now that we are not going to see Inumi for another three or four chapters. There was literally no reason for him to be introduced at this point. Well, there was no real reason for him to be introduced at all, but since he had to be wedged into the game due to Kickstarter benefits, it was pointless for him to be dropped into the story this early.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why do people think limousines are inherently fun and luxurious places to be? Like as an end in themselves?

It's a car with a couch and booze in it. You can sit in a cramped position and make awkward small talk and get drunk in the ten minute interlude between places you actually want to be. BEING IN A LIMO WITH PEOPLE YOU HATE IS NOT A CHOICE ON THE "HOW TO SPEND A FUN EVENING" MENU.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is the LP forum behind the paywall? I need to traumatize some non-goons.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is the LP forum behind the paywall? I need to traumatize some non-goons.

In any case, I'd hold off until at least a few more updates. Trust me, this game only gets dumber.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I like furries. I really really hate this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I think this guy reads mostly translated stuff (anime). It would explain so many of his weird, lovely linguistic quirks. The awkward, stilted dialogue and phrasing. The terrible word choice.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

The squirrel used to be even more blue. Unbelievable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

OP why are you doing this to yourself and others. Is this a toxx clause or something.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mechanical Ape posted:

Caylen's a he? Is Jade the only female character so far?

basically yes. Jade is also the only female character to be based off someone's fursona

because it's a male character klace gender swapped.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mindblast posted:

OP why are you doing this to yourself and others. Is this a toxx clause or something.

Pain is the only thing that's real.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If it weren't for the fact that this was marketed on Steam, and what people posted regarding everything surrounding this game, I'd probably be assuming this is a parody by now.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Inumi looks dopey as gently caress. like he's trying to eat his own hand. Or he's wasted.

Only highest quality of failure is accepted here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Why are they both looking directly at me like that?!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No_talent posted:

Inumi looks dopey as gently caress. like he's trying to eat his own hand. Or he's wasted.

Wouldn't YOU want to be wasted 24/7 if you had to live in sparkledog furry hell?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

That's what all those midnight suicides are. Regular old folks escaping from the living hell that is their life.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I actually recoiled when I scrolled down and saw that bird thing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Miacis posted:

I think the murders happening at midnight comes from Persona 3. Certainly a whole different school of thought than 4.

Nah people don't die from the Shadows in P3. If you're a non-Muggle and you get into the Dark Hour and the Shadows munch on you then you just get your soul drained and lie listlessly on the streets, your life having lost all meaning.
P4 is the game where the murders were a big part of the plot, what with the Midnight Channel and all that. It was a big point that the police were confused how some bodies managed to end up in impossible situations, like hanging from a telephone pole.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow. :cripes:

So, to continue beating on the dead horse that is the writing, I have to say that the fourth part of this LP seems to be the easiest for me to read so far, as it feels like there is almost a point to what the characters are talking about compared to extraneous garbage that seems to have taken up 90% of the prior sections.

I mean, it still sounds stilted and poorly translated into English despite assumedly being in English to begin with, but my eyes just seemed to glaze over and my mind retreated into a fog every time I tried reading the first story post, as I have never read anything where it is so completely obvious that what is being said doesn't matter. It feels like nothing that goes on for whole minutes advances plot or builds character. I still couldn't tell you anything about Rabies' personality despite having read a few pages worth of his monologue, and the story has had even longer than that to establish a plot or premise relevant to him and it has completely failed to do so. It may have even still failed to do so for all we know.

The closest thing I can hearken it to is watching Transformers 2 in the threatres. Whole minutes of dialogue-packed scenes would go by in that movie where I kept saying "this doesn't matter to the plot, this doesn't tell me anything relevant about the person speaking, this does not belong in a finished movie." I paid money to see it, and I was completely furious at the end for being offered what was actually 20% movie and 80% scenes that shouldn't have been there. If I had paid money to read this I would have been apoplectic for weeks about it.

All that to say I hope you didn't pay more than 2 dollars for this game, as the story seems like it would be worth about 20 cents and the rest can go to the character artist for trying.

Thanks for sharing the misery.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

ModeWondershot posted:

All that to say I hope you didn't pay more than 2 dollars for this game, as the story seems like it would be worth about 20 cents and the rest can go to the character artist for trying.
Even if the subject material is highly questionable, at least the artist is obviously somewhat competent. That's probably the nicest thing I could say about this awful "game" so far. :v:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Just so far, there's a lot to hate about the characters, but I think Inumi is the worst. It's the awful outfit, how he looks dopey as hell, and just how utterly inconsequential he is to anything here. Like, sure, everyone is a sparkly origional character do not steal, but there's just something about Inumi in particular that makes him even worse.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Even if the subject material is highly questionable, at least the artist is obviously somewhat competent. That's probably the nicest thing I could say about this awful "game" so far. :v:

"Competent" is stretching it -- there's a gross overuse of gaudy and extraneous design elements to distract from technical shortcomings. All of the characters are uncanny and disturbing. They all look as if they're eyeing you up to rape you or be raped. This "game" provokes nothing but a deep unease and sense of wrongness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think the designs are really the artist's fault since a lot of these characters are backers' fursonas and you GOTTA keep all the details or it's not right GOD.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gloomy Rube posted:

basically yes. Jade is also the only female character to be based off someone's fursona

because it's a male character klace gender swapped.

Actually, that's another female character we will meet in the future. Jade is indeed an original creation for this game, and I don't think it's a coincidence that she has the least offensive design out of everyone we've met so far.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

inthesto posted:

Actually, that's another female character we will meet in the future. Jade is indeed an original creation for this game, and I don't think it's a coincidence that she has the least offensive design out of everyone we've met so far.

Really? I was SURE it was bird lady, but nevermind then :v:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Yapping Eevee posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think the designs are really the artist's fault since a lot of these characters are backers' fursonas and you GOTTA keep all the details or it's not right GOD.

To be fair, that probably is exactly what is happening here. I figure that if the artist deals in something less cartoonishly packed with over-saturated half-assed candy raver chic nonsense their material would be much better (I say this as someone who prefers cartoonish aesthetics and bright colours generally).

Tiger Trump in particular stood out in my eyes for that stupid ribbon. Who the hell lets him still wear that 7th place participation badge from high school debate club in the office?

Also, I am just now realizing that the thing on Kila's hoodie is supposed to be an acorn. I bet someone felt incredibly clever when they thought of that.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
These character designs all make my eyes want to melt. Everything looks like a raver crossed with 5 buckets of paint. Also it doesn't help that everything just ends up blending in together to become a mess of "details" making it super hard to actually tell what is going on with everything.

EDIT: Like, there is no hard edges on anything to make it all look softer I guess, but all that ends up accomplishing is making things bleed together, which isn't helped by how overdone the shading is. This really needs a flatter look to the art to make everything be way more readable.

Also the general posing of everything is just weird and offputting in a way I can't really describe.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 7, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want to know why everyone is so shiny despite being ostensibly covered in fur.

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of furry artists don't bother with actually drawing fur, and just make characters with weird colored skin. Maybe a couple tufts at the edges.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SirSamVimes posted:

I want to know why everyone is so shiny despite being ostensibly covered in fur.

Texture is hard, excessively applied shininess is easy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Black Mage Knight posted:

Everything looks like a raver crossed with 5 buckets of paint.

a lot of furry OCs end up like that. I can hazard guesses as to why, but they're nothing but that, guesses.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

a lot of furry OCs end up like that. I can hazard guesses as to why, but they're nothing but that, guesses.

Is... is it cause furries like raving?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zain posted:

Is... is it cause furries like raving?

I imagine it's for the same reason as multicolored anime hair: The character designs won't stand out on their own so they have to add a shitload of neon to them to differentiate.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I only just realised Kila isn't actually walking around with his tongue out 24/7. Shame, it kinda fit the character

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Art that annoys me, part 2:

Trixie the Giraffe-Necked Girl is actually a pretty decent effort, though one wonders why her face and lower jaw is peeling off her skull to face the "camera", as it were.

Aren't perspective lines supposed to converge at a common vanishing point?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
furry art is sloppy and amateur, reel at 11

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Can you really fault the artist for phoning it in on this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

inscrutable horse posted:

Art that annoys me, part 2:

Trixie the Giraffe-Necked Girl is actually a pretty decent effort, though one wonders why her face and lower jaw is peeling off her skull to face the "camera", as it were.

Aren't perspective lines supposed to converge at a common vanishing point?

He's clearly part accordion.

• Locked thread