Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
About ten years ago, Stephen Colbert coined the term "truthiness", which means a misconception that intuitively feels correct and which the subject is loathe to question. We should come up with translations of this word for other languages. How about "vérituosité" for French?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
About ten years ago, Stephen Colbert coined the term "truthiness", which means a misconception that intuitively feels correct and which the subject is loathe to question. We should come up with translations of this word for other languages. How about "vérituosité" for French?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I live in Virginia and was rear ended by someone else. My car, a 1998 Toyota Camry, has been declared a total financial loss by the other persons insurance (State Farm). Their two options to me are to either
1. Sell them the car and title for $2500,
2. Keep the car and a get a check for $2500 - $300 (salvage value).

I know that I can get the car fixed for less then $2200 (I have gotten an estimate at a different, non-insurance specified, body shop), but State Farm have told me that I need to get a salvage title/certificate if I choose to keep the car. I don't know what all this involves and what additional steps and costs (besides just getting the car fixed myself) I will incur with the salvage title/certificate. Anyone been through this before and know what steps I need to take and what costs I need to worry about?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ask in the AI Stupid Questions thread, there's probably a million people in there that have done this before, and it also might differ state to state.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=256&perpage=40

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jose Cuervo posted:

I live in Virginia and was rear ended by someone else. My car, a 1998 Toyota Camry, has been declared a total financial loss by the other persons insurance (State Farm). Their two options to me are to either
1. Sell them the car and title for $2500,
2. Keep the car and a get a check for $2500 - $300 (salvage value).

I know that I can get the car fixed for less then $2200 (I have gotten an estimate at a different, non-insurance specified, body shop), but State Farm have told me that I need to get a salvage title/certificate if I choose to keep the car. I don't know what all this involves and what additional steps and costs (besides just getting the car fixed myself) I will incur with the salvage title/certificate. Anyone been through this before and know what steps I need to take and what costs I need to worry about?
Depends on the state. Go to your dmvs website. Your insurance co will provide proof that its totalled, youll take that and the original title to your dmv and they have an inspector that will make an appoint to look at your car to make sure no funny business is going on.

Here are the costs for the NY exam appointment:
Personal check to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" for the examination fee:
$200 if you have a NY State Salvage Certificate (MV-907a).
$205 if you have NY title, an out-of-sate title, Marshall's sale, Police bill of sale or garageman lien.
$155 if your vehicle was already registered and an examination was requested.
$150 reapplication fee if you missed the appointment.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Working on a keynote presentation, and I want an animation to happen when a slide loads.

Right now when you're in slide 2 and you click, some text moves off the screen and slide 3 loads. But I can't figure out how to make text automatically move into slide 3 when the page loads, it keeps needing another click. In Build Order under Start it feels like there ought be another option besides "on click" and "after transition." Like "on load."

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2016

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Do we still have some kind of "help me find this old internet thing!" thread somewhere on the forums? I think the old one finally got goldmined. I'm trying to find a weird Cup Noodle commercial that my sister downloaded in late 90s and it's driving me insane. :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do so many gay guys love Britney Spears? Is it an ironic kitsch thing, or is there something about this seemingly talentless woman that resonates with gay men that I don't understand?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

veni veni veni posted:

Why do so many gay guys love Britney Spears? Is it an ironic kitsch thing, or is there something about this seemingly talentless woman that resonates with gay men that I don't understand?
The latter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_icon

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

when worlds collide posted:

For you and anyone else looking for tune id's in the future, there is always this thread which you may avail yourself of. Your clip sounds like generic background music to me but I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

Thanks!

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

How did the word 'bachelor' come to mean both 'unmarried man' and 'undergraduate'? What's the connection?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Contingency Plan posted:

How did the word 'bachelor' come to mean both 'unmarried man' and 'undergraduate'? What's the connection?

It started out referring to a sort of knight who was poor and inexperienced for a knight, usually because he was young. Then by analogy for that it started being used for students starting out in universities, as well as like priests/monks in training and apprentices in the crafts. Then it slowly became just for undergraduates really.

Later on, by the 18th and 19th century , since undergrads were usually not married but old enough to marry, it became a short of shorthand for "unmarried man (who is doing pretty well in life, since he could afford college, so he's a good catch)". And then that slowly generalized into "any unmarried man".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And nowadays "confirmed bachelor" is slang for "gay man" in some circles. So really we've come full circle, from knights to men who spend a lot of time smacking their swords together.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
"Confirmed bachelor" is a grandma euphemism for a gay man where I'm from...I've never heard anyone under 75 use that term. Always in hushed tones, and almost always followed by a young person saying "Jesus, Grandma, it's not a secret, he's just a regular gay guy."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Huh, I'd only heard of the term recently, guess I assumed it was more modern. v:v:v

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
A good rule of thumb is that if it's a euphemism used to avoid openly talking about the fact that someone is queer, it's probably not a modern invention.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I have a raspberry-pi-zero and a USB-to-3.5 plug that I think was used to charge an Ipod Nano.

Does anyone know if this plug could be used as an audio jack (plus shim and whatever male/female adaptors) for the pi zero with whatever digital to analogue converting software and without hardware modifications? (or at least without soldering)

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 4, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Enourmo posted:

Huh, I'd only heard of the term recently, guess I assumed it was more modern. v:v:v

It goes back to at least the 1930s, in the US anyway.

Seems like a non sequitur now, given that dudes marry each other all the time :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jackpot posted:

Working on a keynote presentation, and I want an animation to happen when a slide loads.

Right now when you're in slide 2 and you click, some text moves off the screen and slide 3 loads. But I can't figure out how to make text automatically move into slide 3 when the page loads, it keeps needing another click. In Build Order under Start it feels like there ought be another option besides "on click" and "after transition." Like "on load."

Is this PowerPoint? Set the animation load order for those objects to 0.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Chop Sunni posted:

I have a raspberry-pi-zero and a USB-to-3.5 plug that I think was used to charge an Ipod Nano.

Does anyone know if this plug could be used as an audio jack (plus shim and whatever male/female adaptors) for the pi zero with whatever digital to analogue converting software and without hardware modifications? (or at least without soldering)
No.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chop Sunni posted:

There's no way to use that without hardware modifications to safely use it for audio output on the Pi Zero.

You could use the cable with some software on the Pi Zero and the GPIO stuff - but that requires you to solder on the GPIO header and would also require you to take off the old USB plug to bring the wires onto the header pins. This would be the simplest way to do it: https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-basic-audio-ouput-to-raspberry-pi-zero/pi-zero-pwm-audio

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks, I've been looking at the GPIO stuff and will try it if I get near a soldering iron. Figured it was worth asking just in case!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there anywhere I can buy some of the old stuff from Emergency Broadcast Network? What are any of those guys doing now?

For reference, they had a lot of exposure opening U2's Zoo TV Outside Broadcast tour with this clip, but I used to have an old VHS tape that had more stuff on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUDR9RckfEU

Speaking of old VHS tapes, didn't the Beastie Boys have a tape called Some Old Bullshit or something similar that was a bunch of videos and backstage footage from Licensed to Ill that was mostly them spraying beers and whipped cream at each other and everyone near them and wrecking green room after green room?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe I should ask this in SAL, but it's really simple, only half stats, and, uh, this thread I've ever actually posted in before. :shobon:

"A random number between 0 and 255 is generated; if it is less than x, [a thing happens]."

The probability of [a thing happening] is x / 255, correct?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe I should ask this in SAL, but it's really simple, only half stats, and, uh, this thread I've ever actually posted in before. :shobon:

"A random number between 0 and 255 is generated; if it is less than x, [a thing happens]."

The probability of [a thing happening] is x / 255, correct?

Not quite. It might help you to see the problem if you try x=255. Your guess would say the probability is 1, but if the random number happens to be exactly 255, then the thing doesn't actually happen.

For future reference, the small math/stats questions thread won't bite.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

credburn posted:

I think this would go better in SH/SC but there isn't really a thread dedicated to it, it's too menial of a question to ask, and there's no general question thread, so I guess I'll try here?

I finally got a smart phone. It's an Android somethingorother and it has a pedometer, I guess to let me know if there are pedos around. But it also counts my steps and the GPS knows where I've been. I was wondering if there were any fun "apps" that use this software in creative ways, like a game or something, something I can earn via just walking. I know Pokemon Go is the go-to for encouraging nerds to get out and walk, but Pokemon isn't my thing, and I walk everywhere anyway. I just want...I don't even know. Something more than just the calorie counter and step tracker the device came with. A kind of game would be best.
Try Ingress, it got nerds out walking years before Pokemon.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Trastion posted:

Zombies, Run! is a "game" that uses your walking/running to advance the story and you earn items to upgrade a camp/city. It is marketed more as a motivational tool than a game but I think that is what you are really looking for. It's worth checking out anyways as there is a free version that gets you quite a bit. Then if you like it you can pay for more missions and features, or not.

This is the correct answer.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I just bought a car from a dealership in Dallas, about 300 miles away. It's being delivered by truck. Do I tip the truck driver? I tip the guy that moves my furniture -- what about the guy that moves my car?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Whats the word for when you have a drop down menu with a tonne of different options, but when you start typing into the field it narrows the list of options in the drop down menu to those that match what you've typed alphabetically

i'm thinking "autocomplete" but fancier?

dictionary search?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

maxe posted:

Whats the word for when you have a drop down menu with a tonne of different options, but when you start typing into the field it narrows the list of options in the drop down menu to those that match what you've typed alphabetically

i'm thinking "autocomplete" but fancier?

dictionary search?

When you have one or more options regardless of presentation, autocomplete is the word. If you want to specify that there are multiple options, that's almost universal so "autocomplete" is probably good enough.

If you want to specify a program that gives you a list of all possible options that gets narrowed down, as opposed to the more common "shortlist of most probable options that changes", I don't think there's going to be a short phrase for
it. "Dictionary autocomplete" does not clarify between the two.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I left a quiche out overnight (about 13 hours). Is it safe to eat? My mom said she wouldn't eat it, but my dad would.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Just smell it. Smells good, eat. Smells bad, give to dad.

Years ago GWS had an amazing thread like this, it was pretty much people posting "oh God I left the pizza on the counter overnight, can I still eat it?" But then every and a while someone would post about having left 5 pounds of hamburger meat in their trunk for a week and really want to be told it was still ok.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does South Africa have 4 distinct seasons and extensive snowfall?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Lincoln posted:

I just bought a car from a dealership in Dallas, about 300 miles away. It's being delivered by truck. Do I tip the truck driver? I tip the guy that moves my furniture -- what about the guy that moves my car?
His duty is to deliver your car undamaged. Did he do anything above and beyond the call of duty? Wash it when he got it to your house? Unload it in your driveway instead of the street? Did you make any obscure requests? If no, then... zilcho.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

hooah posted:

I left a quiche out overnight (about 13 hours). Is it safe to eat? My mom said she wouldn't eat it, but my dad would.

No- the eggs make it an ideal matrix for bacterial growth, which doesn't always have to smell bad. Indeed, botulinum often has no smell. Botulism promptly treated is fatal 5 to 10 percent of the time.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

photomikey posted:

His duty is to deliver your car undamaged. Did he do anything above and beyond the call of duty? Wash it when he got it to your house? Unload it in your driveway instead of the street? Did you make any obscure requests? If no, then... zilcho.

And my hairdresser's job is to cut my hair, but I tip her because it's customary to do so. Buddy's question was whether it was customary to tip someone who delivers a car, as it is to tip many people who deliver things.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

If you don't, the driver is gonna spit in the next car he delivers to you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CrazySalamander posted:

No- the eggs make it an ideal matrix for bacterial growth, which doesn't always have to smell bad. Indeed, botulinum often has no smell. Botulism promptly treated is fatal 5 to 10 percent of the time.

I thought botulinum only developed in a low oxygen environment like food that's been improperly canned, not something that's just been sitting out in the open?

Though I'm sure many other gross things can develop on quiche overnight

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If you're scared to eat a quiche left out for half a day then I don't know what to say. Actually I do: eat the quiche baby. If you die from eating slightly old quiche, you probably deserved to die for having such a pansy stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
It's quiche. Isn't that reason enough to not eat it?