Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I felt like I was making decent headway through Costlemark, but fighting enemies in the moving block areas suuuucks. Then I used a tech with Gladio, not noticing that he hadn't made it through the last moving block and..locked myself out. I fell down, wound up outside and put the system in rest mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

They likely are going to, just because it's sort of an internal rule at Square. Final Fantasy is not allowed to just be "The same game the last one was." Even if you have popular elements, they must be redone. Even if the next game is an action RPG, it must be looked at from the ground up. Maybe they wont, and I think that would be a misstep. One thing Square does different to any other publisher is being unwilling to let their main franchise simply be the same game over because they sat on a formula that worked, for better or worse, they always try to do something different.

This (and asset reuse, and the engine being terrible, but bear with me :v:) is why the Crystal Tools fiasco had its costs recouped with XIII spin-offs instead of continuing to use the engine for other things. Of course the difference with XV is, some of us actually wouldn't mind more games just like this. :v:

Thankfully, from the perspective of wasted costs and dev time, they seem to be warming up to Unreal for 7R (and KH3?), rather than rolling their own poo poo again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

echronorian posted:

Goon opinion on this game after being out a while?

game's good, if you get it then mainline the plot for a bit so you get out of the first area and open up the chocobo side quest because they make exploring so much better; really wish that you just got infinite use of chocobos instead of needing to go re-up your rental every few days. most of my problems are small things, like how there's a lot of little cutscenes for common actions (getting in/out the car, ignis discovering a recipe, etc) or how some things have a little gap of a few seconds between player interaction and regaining control over yourself. like turning in a quest will have a couple seconds of you just standing there, unable to move and idgi. it's fun to explore tho and the combat's pretty cool once you get the hang of it. tho even if you're dumb and bad at it like I am, you probably won't actually game over unless you go into fights you obviously shouldn't. don't fight the coeurl is what I'm saying basically. it does seem like a game that'd pay to wait a while on tho since they're patching in story fixes and stuff

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
"We want to make important characters that appeared in the main story, playable."

Does this mean what I think it means? Adding people like Iris as permanent party members if you want? And being able to play as Gladio or Prompto instead of Noct? Imagine playing as Prompto trying to manually aim a camera at a Giant that is actively trying to kill you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Aquasnake posted:

"We want to make important characters that appeared in the main story, playable."

Does this mean what I think it means? Adding people like Iris as permanent party members if you want? And being able to play as Gladio or Prompto instead of Noct? Imagine playing as Prompto trying to manually aim a camera at a Giant that is actively trying to kill you.

It's possible that Prompto and Co will be made switchable to once the DLCs are out. But yes, we may be getting more permanent party members.

I just want a cancel personally. I feel like it'd bring the whole combat system together

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

I just want a cancel personally. I feel like it'd bring the whole combat system together

I admittedly don't actually know, but I thought I heard this was an unlockable on the ascension grid?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, the 'just dodge' function you can unlock will cancel you out of stuff but just for that specific action.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally finished the game. I'll type up a big post later but for now:

I love how Noct's second last line before the credits was "Dad... trust in me."... right before his dad thrusted in him.

One last pun for the road.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The "new character creation" thing is weird as hell - I'm guessing it's something you wouldn't be able to access until postgame when it doesn't really matter, because otherwise how would that even work? Though it would be pretty funny if there's just some random 5th wheel dude hanging around the party who literally never gets brought up in any cutscenes or banter.

White Knight Chronicles did that, and it worked about as you described: noticeably bad and awkward in an already pretty bad game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So what is the final point of no return before The World of Ruin? I want to hit that last point and polish off my quests/finish all of cid's weapon upgrades before I cross the barrier into the endgame.

Also when do I get access to Costlemark dungeon? I've got a pair of quests for it it and I can't get past the barrier at the front.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Also when do I get access to Costlemark dungeon? I've got a pair of quests for it it and I can't get past the barrier at the front.

Costlemark opens up at night

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If they're going to patch the game this comprehensively then I'd really appreciate a Wait feature to make time speed up. Limit it to camps if you have to, but nighttime hunts are such a chore as they are now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oxxidation posted:

If they're going to patch the game this comprehensively then I'd really appreciate a Wait feature to make time speed up. Limit it to camps if you have to, but nighttime hunts are such a chore as they are now.

The game even already has the ability to skip to nighttime, it's just when you accept the hunt, which... isn't very useful. Even if you did want to do it right away you probably don't want to deal with any more night-time enemies at possible, at least early-game when you're not expected to take them on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DeathSandwich posted:

So what is the final point of no return before The World of Ruin? I want to hit that last point and polish off my quests/finish all of cid's weapon upgrades before I cross the barrier into the endgame.

Finishing Chapter 9 is a soft 'point of no return', but you still get the ability to go back to the world in a sort of time warp. That get temporarily locked off after a while, but returns to you in the middle of Chapter 13.

So there's no absolute 'point of no return'.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MMD3 posted:

Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, but here is probably the best summary of the plot (obviously spoiler filled) that I've seen so far.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/11/final-fantasy-xv-ending-explained/17808/
I feel like there are a few errors in that summary (Cor is part of the Crownsguard, not the Kingsglaive, for instance), but it might be worth it just for the last paragraph about the ending:

"A post-credit scene shows that in a dream-like sequence (possibly indicating a moment in the afterlife during the ascension) Luna and Noctis are happily married. The two lovingly rule over the land of Lucis. As the game finally ends, this post-credit scene shared between Luna and Noctis is their final fantasy."

Ohhhhhhhh!
That actually makes this series' title make sense now (aside from the "it was going to be Squaresoft's last go at game development, yadda yadda").

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Where can I buy a better fishing rod?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

more like dICK posted:

Where can I buy a better fishing rod?

the shack at vesperpool is a decent upgrade

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I decided to abuse my monster whistle by the bandersnatch north of Hammerhead at night. I ended up fighting a Bandersnatch, about 12 bombs, 2 Iron Giants, 1 Red Giant, 1 Iron Giant, 2 Red Giants, more bombs and another Bandersnatch before it was all over. I thought the fights in Costlemark were rough! I guess the secret to Red Giants is knocking them down but I dont know how to do it every time. The vulnerability period is so long it's better than using magic.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The only two things I want are:

Reggie, Cid & Co's prequel adventure funtimes DLC

and

Daemon Slayer Iris, Mercenary Dragoon Aranea and Battle Mechanic Cindy's World of Ruin super murder roadtrip where they get a different one of the remaining boys for their 4th member in each area. Ignis in Leide, Prompto in Duscae, and Gladio in Cleigne.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

MMD3 posted:

Holy gently caress, whoever did the sound mixing for the end of chapter 13 should never work in the industry again. the Ardyn monologue when nocts arm is stuck in the crystal and all you can hear is noct grunting and groaning while Ardyn explains the only motivations you've heard so far in the entire game for what he's been doing.. errgh, arrgh, grunt, errgh

Yea I just played this part last night and I was really frustrated. Can you loving speak up, damnit!

I'm going to have to look up a script on gamefaqs or whatever because I only caught like half of what he said.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/announcing-free-updates-final-fantasy-xv really makes me want to wait and buy the game at a lower price, I hate the feeling of knowing I played an inferior version when I know a better one is coming.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has there ever been a triple AAA game that has had such an uh, "ambitious" patching road map? Feels like they want to put a smashed egg back together (despite the general being by all accounts, fairly dece if with a horrible plot)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Has there ever been a triple AAA game that has had such an uh, "ambitious" patching road map? Feels like they want to put a smashed egg back together (despite the general being by all accounts, fairly dece if with a horrible plot)

Diablo 3 or Destiny?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relin posted:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/announcing-free-updates-final-fantasy-xv really makes me want to wait and buy the game at a lower price, I hate the feeling of knowing I played an inferior version when I know a better one is coming.

Pre-ordering is a mug's game, this has never not been true.

Still pleasantly surprised with what we got, though. If anything I'll just wait for all the additional content to drop and re-buy the PC version a year down the line or something.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Calaveron posted:

Look no further than Final Fantasy XIV, I'd say.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What was supposed to be happening in the Ramuh dungeon? Prompto disappeared, made it sound like he was getting killed by something, then died and reappeared in my party when I killed some hobgoblins.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

The Witcher 3 (and the first two games) got huge makeovers through patches but I don't think the story changed much, if at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlphaKretin posted:

The game even already has the ability to skip to nighttime, it's just when you accept the hunt, which... isn't very useful. Even if you did want to do it right away you probably don't want to deal with any more night-time enemies at possible, at least early-game when you're not expected to take them on.

Yeah I've figured out that it's easier to just travel to the marker during the day and then wait.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Aquasnake posted:

Now you can be the one to awkwardly hit on Noctis while being a tour guide!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Got through Chapter 13. Agreed that the length feels weird after the previous few chapters, but I enjoyed it overall. The little snack break I took halfway thru helped. Didn't run into the same sound mixing problems others had. Maybe due to me using headphones?

Chapter 14 story - Lost my poo poo at the Cactuar figurines in the truck. Nice touch.

No doubt the pacing could be better, but I'm having a lot of fun while the story makes enough sense to me, and the technical accomplishments are remarkable. Looking forward to the upcoming patches. They're promising more than I was expecting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think my one sore point of the ending is Ardyn just instakilling all the bros. No build-up or anything. It just took the wind out of the sails. At first I thought that maybe he just temporarily stole their souls or whatever and once Noctis won they'd be revived... but unless I missed something, nope. Just dead. Injustice for three guys you've been hanging out with all game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd imagine that if the guest characters are going to be permanently playable in a future patch, you'd only really be able to have one of them as a fifth member alongside the main four at a time. So you'd be able to take Cor with you but Cor and Iris wouldn't be in your party at the same time for example. Unless all of the guest characters are playable at once in which case it'd be funny to see them all fit on the Regalia, all cramped and miserable.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think my one sore point of the ending is Ardyn just instakilling all the bros. No build-up or anything. It just took the wind out of the sails. At first I thought that maybe he just temporarily stole their souls or whatever and once Noctis won they'd be revived... but unless I missed something, nope. Just dead. Injustice for three guys you've been hanging out with all game.

Ending - It is temporary. They come back to cover Noctis while he does his thing in the throne room.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

They're totally alive. Some speculate that they died fighting those Iron Giant mooks while protecting Noct while he summoned KotR, but that's dumb. They're alive and well, don't worry.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd imagine that if the guest characters are going to be permanently playable in a future patch, you'd only really be able to have one of them as a fifth member alongside the main four at a time. So you'd be able to take Cor with you but Cor and Iris wouldn't be in your party at the same time for example. Unless all of the guest characters are playable at once in which case it'd be funny to see them all fit on the Regalia, all cramped and miserable.

I'd like to replace Gladio with Aranea and bring Iris along as my fifth member, please and thank you.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
The first time I summoned Titan he appeared under the ground, like when we used to cheese our way underneath the geometry in vanilla wow...something about it was seriously hosed up.

also anyone know offhand the criteria for summoning Shiva?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As isk said above, wait:
Did you miss the goodbye scene on the stairs where they're alive?

Some people could argue that they die when they're fighting off those Iron Giant daemons because you don't see them again, even in the epilogue, but (with no evidence) I'm a bit optimistic and I think they survived the ending.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, I'd forgotten that bit for some reason. Still a bit of a cop-out, I mean if you're going to take them out of the fight, have it because daemons are storming in on their location and they need to buy Noct some time. Just fingersnap and you're down to one man is kinda blah.

Now that my misunderstanding is cleared up I have to say I honestly like the last couple chapters, they do a great job of setting up the atmosphere and driving through the World of Ruin was eye-opening. A few poor spots here and there like everyone yelling at Noct to leave them behind at the hangar, which seems incredibly counterproductive to the bro-hood the game keeps hammering in all game. I half-expected the right ending to just be standing there with them to the end. But overall, a pretty satisfying game that stumbles slightly in the last third of the game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Calaveron posted:

The Witcher 3 had numerous changes to the camera, movement (alternative control scheme), and performance. They also added new conversations romance scenes because best girl got shafted. However, the game had a fully featured story and most of the patches built upon an already strong foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

They also added new conversations romance scenes because best girl got shafted.

He's anti-Yen! GET THE ROPE

• Locked thread