Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm an idiot who can't keep track of what I've already bought, so I now find myself with extra Region 2 copies of The Ice Warriors and Web of Fear. Any US goons interested for $10 each (shipping included)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

There's some delightfully weird stuff in there, this is probably the moment that stands out most to me though:

It sums up the true horror of the Cybermen really well to me.

What I love is that it combines stuff like this with showing aspects of (early) Cyber civilization, including cyberblimps.

That panel in the last one scared the gently caress out of me as a kid, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

I bring it up because I re-read the DWM Cyberman series the other day. It went in some :catdrugs: :aaaaa: directions, but I really ended up enjoying it, especially when it gets all Alan Moore Swamp Thing towards the end. Here's the complete run. The early ones are pretty low-res, unfortunately, but the bigger images luckily coincide with things getting interesting. Some prime avatar material in there at any rate.

They brought the strip back for a one off in DWM recently for their Cybermen 50th anniversary issue! It's really good too. Maybe I'll see if I can scan it...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Haha, wow

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Does anyone remember that "Doctor Who Old vs New" video that made the rounds a few years ago which derided RTD for introducing "love" and "drama" to Doctor Who while taking out "death" and "serious issues"? I think the guy who made it later went on to do this animated Third Doctor video which was pretty good.

If that was made today, it'd no doubt be all like, "The Slitheen are baby-faced monsters who fart a lot because MOFFAT IS AN IDIOT." :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Something something terrible things something something must be fought something something…

Or, as I screamed one time to a man lying on the ground, bleeding from the nose, as my friends dragged me out of the bar on my 30th birthday…

“Paul McGann is canon, you son of a bitch! PAUL MCGANN IS CANON!”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Man, Ian Levine has a LOT of accounts.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Don't facebook stalk me please

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

They brought the strip back for a one off in DWM recently for their Cybermen 50th anniversary issue! It's really good too. Maybe I'll see if I can scan it...

Yes please thank you

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I am baffled by their assertion that if something comes later, it obviously can't be a continuation

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Their reasoning is dodgy but there was certainly a deep current of opposition to the TVM at the time, due to it being a "bastardised American pastiche" (or whatever)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Their reasoning is dodgy but there was certainly a deep current of opposition to the TVM at the time, due to it being a "bastardised American pastiche" (or whatever)

Also: it's terrible!!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My eight year old self thought the TV movie was great when it aired. Well, aside from the half-human thing. I still regard Paul McGann as "my" Doctor after discovering Big Finish. Night of the Doctor was the best thing ever.

The revival series has gotten some weird reactions from my friends. More often than not those that dislike it cite watching the first three-ish episodes of Eccleston's run and stopping there. I generally recommend Season 5 as a better jumping-on point if they didn't like the extreme camp that Season 1 got into in a few episodes.

Bicyclops posted:

Clearly you didn't ~drezzzzzzzzz for the occasion.~

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The greatest thing to come out of the TV Movie is gone, as well, as unsung hero, CGI Snake, has cruelly had his credit removed from The Master's Wikipedia page.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bicyclops posted:

People hated it before it had even been aired. Because it was an American bastardisation

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was terrified that the TVM was going to be something along the of Virgin's NAs, so I was greatly relieved that it was actually good!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Davros1 posted:

I was terrified that the TVM was going to be something along the of Virgin's NAs, so I was greatly relieved that it was actually good!

I never knew those existed thankfully. I've been watching PopArena's reviews of them and :drat: talk about hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We certainly dodged a bullet with the TV Movie not getting picked up for a regular series, since their proposed storylines sounded pretty loving awful. But the TV Movie itself? Outside of a few silly elements (like the Doctor being half-human) it's pretty solid, McGann was great casting, plus it's a really nice farewell to McCoy who got to wrap up his time as the character.... or so he thought pre-Big Finish!

Anyway long story short I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Facebook group is a parody and everybody involved is in on the joke apart from Ian Levine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The TVM's plot is a little wonky (just a bit too much to cram into one movie), but it got the atmosphere right, the characters and banter were fun, and it's still really good looking for a TV movie. Lots of clever cinematography and good edits (the climactic montage being particularly brilliant. "That's all the time we have.")

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The NA have an ok hit rate for what they were, low budget spin offs from a low budget and formerly popular show from the previous decade, written by random fans.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

low budget spin offs from a low budget and formerly popular show from the previous decade, written by random fans.

But enough about the 2005 revival :haw:

It's actually kind of cool that this show has survived long enough that people who loved it as kids could grow up to write for or, heck, be, the Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This was true even in the original run; 26 years is a long time to be on the air.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Timelash is better than the tv movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This was true even in the original run; 26 years is a long time to be on the air.

True. Supernatural's about to hit half that and it feels like it's been on for eternity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

But enough about the 2005 revival :haw:

It's actually kind of cool that this show has survived long enough that people who loved it as kids could grow up to write for or, heck, be, the Doctor.

Kids?! KIDS?!!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

The greatest thing to come out of the TV Movie is gone, as well, as unsung hero, CGI Snake, has cruelly had his credit removed from The Master's Wikipedia page.

The Time War strikes again! :argh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

We certainly dodged a bullet with the TV Movie not getting picked up for a regular series, since their proposed storylines sounded pretty loving awful.

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

Not gonna lie - if this ever gets referenced in a Big Finish between McGann and McQueen, I'm buying it day one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I genuinely wouldn't mind an Eighth Doctor Unbound series. The Doctor and Penny looking for Ulysses, fighting Cybs and talking to the Doctor's grandfather, Borusa.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I genuinely wouldn't mind an Eighth Doctor Unbound series. The Doctor and Penny looking for Ulysses, fighting Cybs and talking to the Doctor's grandfather, Borusa.

This would be BBC mini series that airs while the main series is off the air right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This would be BBC mini series that airs while the main series is off the air right?

No no, the BBC mini series starring Paul McGann will be the unheard adventures of 8/Charley, 8/Lucie etc, all taking place between particular Big Finish stories. Big Finish will then figure out a way to fit in stories BETWEEN the TV stories that fit in between their original audios.

But there will be a strict no C'Rizz policy.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

Could be worse, could be a book retconning Susan being the Doctor's granddaughter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would watch a full season of Doctor Who in which the Master is an only vaguely reformed companion of the Doctor, who constantly has to learn lessons, and then betrays the Doctor at the end of the season, but the Doctor expected it all along. They could look wistfully at each other throughout the whole thing and have freshman-level philosophy discussions. This would have worked best with the screamy Tennant version of the Doctor, but Capaldi is talented enough that he could pull it off.

I still don't want them looking for their dad, Ulysses, though, even it turned out to be James Joyce.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

I would watch a full season of Doctor Who in which the Master is an only vaguely reformed companion of the Doctor, who constantly has to learn lessons, and then betrays the Doctor at the end of the season, but the Doctor expected it all along. They could look wistfully at each other throughout the whole thing and have freshman-level philosophy discussions. This would have worked best with the screamy Tennant version of the Doctor, but Capaldi is talented enough that he could pull it off.

I still don't want them looking for their dad, Ulysses, though, even it turned out to be James Joyce.

On that note, I had an idea for a ratings-grabber once: the Doctor and the Master both regenerate at the same time, and only they know which is which. We spend a whole series with both traveling in the TARDIS, and in the finale they reveal which one is the Doctor. Does it make sense? Not really, but I have to get this idea out there when/if Chibnall steals my idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

At the end of season 3 where the Doctor proclaims that the Master is his responsibility and will be his prisoner on the TARDIS, I had one fleeting beautiful moment where I thought they might actually do a season of Tennant/Simm as a bickering guard/prisoner traveling through space/time while the Doctor tries desperately to reach/rehabilitate the Master who for his part is constantly either trying to escape or gently caress things up just to make life tougher on the Doctor :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

On that note, I had an idea for a ratings-grabber once: the Doctor and the Master both regenerate at the same time, and only they know which is which. We spend a whole series with both traveling in the TARDIS, and in the finale they reveal which one is the Doctor. Does it make sense? Not really, but I have to get this idea out there when/if Chibnall steals my idea.

One of the rumors of the relaunch was that Nine was going to be revealed to actually be the Master by the end of the second season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

This actually sounds like a legit good idea for a Big Finish Unbound.

Jerusalem posted:

At the end of season 3 where the Doctor proclaims that the Master is his responsibility and will be his prisoner on the TARDIS, I had one fleeting beautiful moment where I thought they might actually do a season of Tennant/Simm as a bickering guard/prisoner traveling through space/time while the Doctor tries desperately to reach/rehabilitate the Master who for his part is constantly either trying to escape or gently caress things up just to make life tougher on the Doctor :shobon:

Yeah, me too. Simms was honestly my least favorite Master, but I still would have watched the hell out of it. Tennant's preachy nature is what makes it work. Colin Baker also could have done it (I know everyone is going to say Five, but it just seems like too much more of the same).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I just saw the 5-6 regeneration.

What the gently caress is up with Peri's accent? Is it my imagination or does she keep shifting between American and English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Ok I just saw the 5-6 regeneration.

What the gently caress is up with Peri's accent? Is it my imagination or does she keep shifting between American and English?

They decided to cast a girl from Surrey as an American. An American specifically from BALTIMORE of all places.

The JNT years were.... odd.

• Locked thread