Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

You picked the Bulls. Dejan was the only one to select Pacers.

Well then Dejan takes the prize but I at least have posts saying how bad they'd stink, they mean a lot to me

Metapod posted:

Wall scoring 52 and losing lmao

that team is miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Pacers are 10-11 with PG missing time and playing GS twice/ LAC twice, they aren't going anywhere with the roster constructed as it is, but they aren't trainwrecks. I still think they are 45-50 wins depending on how healthy CJ Miles can be.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

We're a quarter of the way through now. Here are some shooting grades.

Best shooting by position:

code:
NP	Player		 Pos	Tm
134.72	Stephen Curry	 PG	GSW
77.92	Klay Thompson	 SG	GSW
149.08	Kevin Durant	 SF	GSW
100.2	Anthony Davis	 PF	NOP
60.68	DeMarcus Cousins C	SAC
GSW domination. Perhaps DMC and AD can join GSW soon.

Worst shooting by position:

code:
NP	Player		 Pos	Tm
-27.4	Emmanuel Mudiay	PG	DEN
-22.24	Dion Waiters	SG	MIA
-30.36	Justise Winslow	SF	MIA
-17.64	Lavoy Allen	PF	IND
-18.84	Nikola Vucevic	C	ORL
Top/bottom ten:

code:
NP	Player		Pos	Tm
149.08	Kevin Durant	SF	GSW
134.72	Stephen Curry	PG	GSW
110	James Harden	PG	HOU
104.92	Damian Lillard	PG	POR
100.2	Anthony Davis	PF	NOP
92.88	Jimmy Butler	SF	CHI
77.92	Klay Thompson	SG	GSW
72.48	Chris Paul	PG	LAC
72.2	Kevin Love	PF	CLE
71.76	Kawhi Leonard	SF	SAS

-20.04	Wade Baldwin	PG	MEM
-20.36	Rajon Rondo	PG	CHI
-20.6	Marcus Smart	PG	BOS
-20.96	Mario Hezonja	SF	ORL
-25.52	Semaj Christon	PG	OKC
-27.36	Kent Bazemore	SF	ATL
-29.64	Luol Deng	SF	LAL

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

this is extremely my poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

2015 draft was supposed to be super deep but look at those bad shooters who were top 10 picks

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I submit to the court

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zogo posted:

We're a quarter of the way through now. Here are some shooting grades.

Best shooting by position:

code:
NP	Player		 Pos	Tm
134.72	Stephen Curry	 PG	GSW
77.92	Klay Thompson	 SG	GSW
149.08	Kevin Durant	 SF	GSW
100.2	Anthony Davis	 PF	NOP
60.68	DeMarcus Cousins C	SAC
GSW domination. Perhaps DMC and AD can join GSW soon.

Worst shooting by position:

code:
NP	Player		 Pos	Tm
-17.64	Lavoy Allen	PF	IND
-18.84	Nikola Vucevic	C	ORL
Top/bottom ten:

code:
NP	Player		Pos	Tm
149.08	Kevin Durant	SF	GSW
134.72	Stephen Curry	PG	GSW
110	James Harden	PG	HOU
104.92	Damian Lillard	PG	POR
100.2	Anthony Davis	PF	NOP
92.88	Jimmy Butler	SF	CHI
77.92	Klay Thompson	SG	GSW
72.48	Chris Paul	PG	LAC
72.2	Kevin Love	PF	CLE
71.76	Kawhi Leonard	SF	SAS

-20.04	Wade Baldwin	PG	MEM
-20.36	Rajon Rondo	PG	CHI
-20.6	Marcus Smart	PG	BOS
-20.96	Mario Hezonja	SF	ORL
-25.52	Semaj Christon	PG	OKC
-27.36	Kent Bazemore	SF	ATL
-29.64	Luol Deng	SF	LAL

Extremely surprised there were no Pelicans in the worst lists.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Even if you wanted to decide on the rotations themselves it seems like it would make a ton of sense to delegate tracking and managing it in-game to someone.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What do you think goes through the heads of those guys that have like, no minutes played and only come out in garbage time. Especially when they actually score points and rebound and generally play well. If you're a young player, maybe a rookie, maybe a second year player, and because of fun with statistics/small sample size you're technically your team's best player on PER or BPM....

Like, if you were on a winning team, I imagine most guys would be OK with it. But if you're on a losing or mediocre team, I can't imagine the dudes not sinking further and further into murderous rage. There's always a small handful a year. Why don't they ever play? Do they suck in practice?

Iunno. There's 82 games in a season. I can't imagine you have much to lose by playing a garbage-time player with gaudy stats 3-5 minutes a game for a small stretch just so they level out. If they're actually bad, it shouldn't take more than a handful of games. If I were a coach, I'd want my top 6 guys in the rotation to definitively be the best guys on my team by advanced stats. I would want there to be no question that I was fielding the best possible lineup I have.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
most of those guys have legit reasons they aren't playing competitive minutes. Of course there are cases where coaches just seem to hate guys for some reason, but there's a lot of guys who are PER superstars in garbage time that you can't really play during a game (a lot of these guys are big men who finish really well around the rim, foul a lot and don't space the floor for poo poo).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

most of those guys have legit reasons they aren't playing competitive minutes. Of course there are cases where coaches just seem to hate guys for some reason, but there's a lot of guys who are PER superstars in garbage time that you can't really play during a game (a lot of these guys are big men who finish really well around the rim, foul a lot and don't space the floor for poo poo).

Like McHale with Canaan

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Surprising me on the worst shooting list are Deng and Bazemore. I'm assuming Deng is just a husk at this point because he used to be a pretty efficienct scorer. I thought Bazemore still was a good scorer so I'm not sure. What's the deal with those two?

The rest of the top and bottom ten make pretty good sense to me.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think about Bebe Noguiera. I watched a couple raptors reruns and he looks like an NBA player.

Fast Luck posted:

Beal is only 23 but looks to be awful on defense and has a forever stress fractured leg.
Porter is 23 and might actually be good.

Wall is 26 and pretty good I guess but just not superstar quality.

Markieff Morris sucks and Marcin Gortat is about replacement level I guess, and the bench isn't that good.

I guess blow it up but do you keep anyone besides Porter if you're the Wizards? Trade Beal and Wall? Beal is still so young and Wall is good... but if this core was strong they wouldn't suck so bad

I think all of us were living in a fool's paradise where Markieff's shooting would improve because John Wall is a great pg.

It doesn't make sense in my head that Wall + Beal + Porter + Morris + Gortat isn't enough to win at least a couple more games. Especially with Porter doing his year 3 "ah hah I am quite a-good after all" reveal. Mahinmi was out, but that's like 25 minutes from a versatile but not world changing center. Markieff without threes, aging Gortat, no bench- Mahinmi, is basically the answer to the question, why are they so bad?

It's not like they're a world away from good, but they'll have to make moves to get depth. It's probably too late for this season.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Bebe has good pick and roll instincts and can move quickly for a dude his size so he's a decent man defender but his help defense is really bad. He has no offensive game to speak of aside from garbageman type stuff but he has decent touch around the basket and surprisingly good chemistry with Lowry. He's basically a rookie big man, so you can't judge him yet.

However he's also one of the nicest and most honest human beings ever so he is completely unhateable even when he does something stupid on the court.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2maZRKGuPA

This is the most depressing video of someone scoring 50+ I've ever seen. The arena is dead. The bench is dead. Life has no meaning etc.

edit:

quote:

Coached by the Zen Master, the Knicks Try Mindfulness —— Phil Jackson, who introduced mindfulness exercises after becoming team president, now leads the sessions himself.

Well worth the millions of $$$ he gets paid each year.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 7, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's gonna be cool when Wall joins cousins in Sacramento. Sorry wiz fans

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

roundmidnight posted:

Bebe has good pick and roll instincts and can move quickly for a dude his size so he's a decent man defender but his help defense is really bad. He has no offensive game to speak of aside from garbageman type stuff but he has decent touch around the basket and surprisingly good chemistry with Lowry. He's basically a rookie big man, so you can't judge him yet.

However he's also one of the nicest and most honest human beings ever so he is completely unhateable even when he does something stupid on the court.

Also his nickname is Long Weeknd which is probably the best nickname in the NBA right now.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I submit to the court

This goes deeper than I originally thought

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guys. This goes way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYzbesuUX0

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

It's gonna be cool when Wall joins cousins in Sacramento. Sorry wiz fans

i've always heard rumblings about trying to get him down to san antonio.

i'm sure they were mostly wishful thinking, but we need a pg

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have no idea how the hell Sacramento is supposed to get Wall.

Hey Washington do you want Willy Caulie Stein and a fat Greek guy???? Sure we'll take John Wall.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bebe is also a great passer for a rookie big guy

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

quote:

"Carmelo a lot of times wants to hold the ball longer than -- we have a rule: If you hold a pass two seconds, you benefit the defense. So he has a little bit of a tendency to hold it for three, four, five seconds, and then everybody comes to a stop," Jackson said in an interview

Color me a bit optimistic, but I did not see much (if any) iso Melo last night. They were mostly either catch and shoots, or quick moves off the pass. Maybe this is the year we go over .500

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like Bebe but we're calling him a rookie like he hasn't been sitting on the raptors bench for what feels like the last decade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I have no idea how the hell Sacramento is supposed to get Wall.

Hey Washington do you want Willy Caulie Stein and a fat Greek guy???? Sure we'll take John Wall.

If they win the lottery, #1 overall, WCS and maybe a future unprotected first would seem about right (add filler if needed). So...not much chance.

The other way might work too. Wizards win the lottery, give up #1 and some middling assets for DMC. Gortat-DMC-Porter-Beal-Wall is a team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

If they win the lottery, #1 overall, WCS and maybe a future unprotected first would seem about right (add filler if needed). So...not much chance.

The other way might work too. Wizards win the lottery, give up #1 and some middling assets for DMC. Gortat-DMC-Porter-Beal-Wall is a team.

Sacramento can't trade an unprotected first until 2021. Also there is literally now way they can make that salary work without trading away Gortat.

Further more, Sacramento does not have it's first this year. So it doesn't matter if they win the lottery or not.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/marcgasol/status/806350836020416512

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sacramento can't trade an unprotected first until 2021. Also there is literally now way they can make that salary work without trading away Gortat.

Further more, Sacramento does not have it's first this year. So it doesn't matter if they win the lottery or not.

Trust the Process.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What the hell happened to Bazemore? He looked really good last year and murdered the Celtics in the playoffs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

You can trade after you select your guy to get past the Sepian rule, it's what Cleveland did with Wiggins.

This year's pick is protected 1-17, so if they win the lottery they select the guy Washington wants, then trade his rights or sign him and wait 30 days if they need the salary fit.

Its not likely, but right now Sac and Wiz would have ~2% chances at the top 1 and ~7% at top 3. THERE'S A CHANCE BOOGIE AND WALL CAN BE BFFS AGAIN.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

You can trade after you select your guy to get past the Sepian rule, it's what Cleveland did with Wiggins.

This year's pick is protected 1-17, so if they win the lottery they select the guy Washington wants, then trade his rights or sign him and wait 30 days if they need the salary fit.

Its not likely, but right now Sac and Wiz would have ~2% chances at the top 1 and ~7% at top 3. THERE'S A CHANCE BOOGIE AND WALL CAN BE BFFS AGAIN.

Morey fleecing the Kings posted:

2017 first round draft pick to Philadelphia (swap, Philadelphia incoming)
Philadelphia has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Sacramento's 2017 1st round pick protected for selections 11-30 (if this pick falls within its protected range, then Philadelphia's swap right and Sacramento's obligation to Philadelphia will be extinguished) [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

No, it's not.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

Uhhhhhhh Philly has the right to pick swap. There's literally no way they can win the lottery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could get 2 or 3.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento absolutely has its first this year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

They could get 2 or 3.

or 4,5,6,7,8,9 or even 10!

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento absolutely has its first this year

No, they have "a" first. It's an important distinction. The quote was about them winning the lottery, which they literally have a 0% chance to do. The odds of their pick being in the top 4 are very, very low.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, they have "a" first. It's an important distinction. The quote was about them winning the lottery

Paul Zuvella posted:

:confused:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I focused on Sac's pick conveying to Chicago, forgot about that pick swap. Whelp, looks like Boogie to Washington then.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Sacramento was to trade Cousins, there are a couple teams that have better looking assets than Washington unless you are sold on Bradley Beal being a healthy #1 or #2 guy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, it's not.

Shouldn't this be Hinkie fleecing the Kings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

Shouldn't this be Hinkie fleecing the Kings?

Yeah, I got my chubby, kind of weird but cool GMs mixed up.

Yeah, I misspoke. The discussion was about winning the lottery and I should have made it more clear in my post that I'm referring to that situation

• Locked thread