Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The tool required to make one of the new MacBook Pros work is fastened between the seat and the TouchBar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD4-jdf7Jtk

it just werks

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

kafka on the screen

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
looks cool imo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
More like Kefka

ufarn
May 30, 2009
there it is

Samsung won’t face anywhere near the amount of criticism Apple did, because Apple went first and took most of the arrows. Which, yes, took courage.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This song is not licensed to play on your SAMSUNG GALAXY earbuds. Please tap here to go to the Samsung Store and authorize your SAMSUNG GALAXY earbuds for playback.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm sorry. Your SAMSUN GALAXY SpaceBuds only works with S-music.

Apr 7, 2003

Removing the headphone jack is entirely about getting rid of the analog loop for DRM purposes and laffo at anyone who bought that it was being done for any other reason.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nice url

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

but they include a jack adapter in the box :confused:

However I will buy that it was probably to cash in more MFI accessory money since you have to license the lightning connector to make hardware that works with it, while anyone can make a crappy IR dongle for the headphone jack and play audio signals to control a toy or whatever and people would rather buy lightning headphones to avoid the tiny stupid jack dongle

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Apple weren't even the first to do it. The RDF even applies to bad decisions.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

plz don't post my solo gay camshow moniker

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
samsung was real smug about the headphone jack when they revealed the galaxy 7, months before the official iphone announcement, based on rumors only.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
imagine not being up-to-date with iphone rumors and watching the samsung reveal. "and we have an headphone jack :smug:"

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Removing the headphone jack is entirely about getting rid of the analog loop for DRM purposes and laffo at anyone who bought that it was being done for any other reason.
Cool post from 2003 when we cared about the analog hole

Apr 7, 2003

I'm pounding your mom's analog hole.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

nah. theres no point to that since the audio files themselves are already drm free and they allow DACs to be plugged in (including their own adapter). The point of removing the headphone jack is to remove the headphone jack because jonny ives is a gigantic hack and has no idea what else to do.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

device makers don't give a poo poo about audio drm apple probably makes more money off of the top 30 free to play games than they do off purchases from their whole music catalog and customers are switching to streaming anyway it's just a way to have fewer components in your device and simpler packaging because of fewer ports so it's cheaper to make

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
although I guess anyone who was avoiding dongle licensing by using the headphone jack now has to buy dongle licenses from apple

Apr 7, 2003

Hmm. I'll take a wait-and-see approach.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
no but you see its a conspiracy by Big DRM to finally realize their Final Solution to music

Apr 7, 2003

History will vindicate me.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
it's not just the headphones it's anything that was using the headphone jack to pass data, like uh, I dunno maybe all the mobile payment options that directly compete with the manufacturer partnered financial institutions.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
guys this company loves me, the consumer and is just doing what is best for me, the consumer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

possible reasons apple removed the headphone jack:
a.) makes the device cheaper to design and manufacture and more durable
or
b.) because they want total control over everything in the universe, hate all their customers and also have a secret deal with media companies

I guess we'll never know which

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

"standard" Bluetooth profiles exempt.....

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bluetooth headphones don't need to be mfi

plus they probably make more money off a single pair of beats than getting a fraction of a cent off 10000 rando chinese headphones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

possible reasons apple removed the headphone jack:
a.) makes the device cheaper to design and manufacture and more durable
or
b.) because they want total control over everything in the universe, hate all their customers and also have a secret deal with media companies

I guess we'll never know which

actually its a conspiracy theory and you're an idiot if you dont' know what it is

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

qirex posted:

bluetooth headphones don't need to be mfi

no one cares about headphones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zen death robot posted:

They have bluetooth ones now that can also do chip reading and contactless so there's some improvements there at least.

the one from square is pretty cool, but I have to still keep my swiper handy because not everyone has chips and a lot of people have already fried their chips and I have to swipe them anyways.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

no one cares about headphones

so it's all those other headphone jack peripherals like:

square reader
and I'm sure there's more, like maybe dozens

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm sad that the airbuds aren't ready for christmas because i really wanted to start reading endless twitter posts about people losing one of them or their instantaneous buyer's remorse when they find out they have no volume controls

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
it's not like Apple's entire business model isn't based on completely enclosed hardware and software systems and they certainly haven't used this to their benefit when dealing with carriers, music labels and end consumers.

restricting the input/output on their devices is likely an altruistic (hell...courageous) choice just done to reduce manufacturing costs and pass those savings on to the consumer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

just lol at every time i board a commercial flight these days, they always remind everyone and make the announcement 'Galaxy Note 7 devices are banned'

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

it's not just the headphones it's anything that was using the headphone jack to pass data, like uh, I dunno maybe all the mobile payment options that directly compete with the manufacturer partnered financial institutions.

yeah all those poor girl scout troops in front of the wegmans have to use an adapter for their square readers now woe is me

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
wont somebody please think of the square readers

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

reminder that john fireball is an open, avid fan of the following:

* The New York Yankees
* The Dallas Cowboys
* Hillary Clinton
* the James Bond film franchise
* Stanley Kubrick
* the world's most profitable corporation

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahahaha are airbuds still not out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
oh wait the fuckin dongle they included with the phone works with square readers lmao

• Locked thread