Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Johnny Truant posted:

So apparently New York state has its own licenses for medical professionals, and they don't recognize the ASCP's certifications. And of course my girlfriend is really interested in attending Mt. Sinai's medical college.

gently caress you, New York.

Are you sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goodness posted:

Are you sure?

Specific certifications, excuse me.

E.g. the certificate that I have :argh:

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Is anyone here a lab animal technician? What's the job like? I'm about to graduate in the spring with an animal science degree and think it seems like it would be a good fit for me career-wise but I don't know how much room there is for advancement, the pay scale, etc. Is there any demand right now for new hires? I don't want to go to grad school but I want to work in a lab, and I have a lot of experience with livestock and rodents, what other jobs would y'all recommend?

Also, I have been recommended a job with primates from a professor at a national primate disease research center but I am terrified of primates, how valid should that fear be?

hypoallergenic cat breed fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 16, 2016

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Also, I have been recommended a job with primates from a professor at a national primate disease research center but I am terrified of primates, how valid should that fear be?

Aren't primates pretty much outlawed for use in pharma research now?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

From what I understand they mostly are used in infectious disease research. They are definitely not my first, second, or third choice in the animals I'd like to do research with for lots of reasons, but I was kind of hoping someone with first hand experience would tell me it wasn't that bad.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
We had a primate trial a while back and it went really poorly, we try not to talk about the sacced monkeys anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The ban (on chimpanzees) is unfortunate, but the cost intensive nature of maintaining primates for research, plus the development of alternative models, means it hasn't done much harm.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

What are some good books or resources about detection of drugs of abuse? I'm looking into a project for making controls to test drug test strips with.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I'm gearing up to start sending out my resume, I have a MS and 5 years of experience in pharma hell but it's all in NMR which is utterly useless. How difficult would it be to transition to a position with some sort of growth potential like HPLC or MS with a different organization? Any ideas for how to approach this?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I have a few questions I really home someone can answer.

Do institutions usually have a deionized water setup? (Trying my hand at a budget, hope I don't have to estimate the volume.)

I can't follow this procedure, questions below.

quote:

Soil digests consisted of 300 mg pulverized soil, 4.5 ml concentrated HNO3, 1.5 ml HCl, and 1 ml deionized H2O (Milward & Kluckner, 1989). For soil Se analysis, subsamples and 0.2 ml of 0.2 M K2S2O4 (Zhang et al., 1999) were diluted to 50 ml with 6 M HCl, heated at 92–95°C for 1 h, and analysed by HVG-AAS.
I can't get to Milward and Kluckner right now, so I'm not sure of the HCl concentration, but I can probably gain access to it somehow. However, if anyone has access or has done this, can you let me know what the concentration is?
Next, I need K2S204 (?), but I suspect this is a typo. Zhang et al (which I do have) refers to K2S2O8 (the S2O8 oxidizes the Se), which would make more sense, except my chemistry is too rusty to understand what's going on in that paper. Does anyone agree with my typo assessment?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Maera Sior posted:

I have a few questions I really home someone can answer.

Do institutions usually have a deionized water setup? (Trying my hand at a budget, hope I don't have to estimate the volume.)

I can't follow this procedure, questions below.

I can't get to Milward and Kluckner right now, so I'm not sure of the HCl concentration, but I can probably gain access to it somehow. However, if anyone has access or has done this, can you let me know what the concentration is?
Next, I need K2S204 (?), but I suspect this is a typo. Zhang et al (which I do have) refers to K2S2O8 (the S2O8 oxidizes the Se), which would make more sense, except my chemistry is too rusty to understand what's going on in that paper. Does anyone agree with my typo assessment?

It's more common than not for a research building to have either a deionized or distilled water setup. In the cases where they don't many will already have smaller deionization units in place in shared spaces. If it's an exceptionally old building and/or school without a big budget it might be up to you to buy your own DI system.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That Works posted:

It's more common than not for a research building to have either a deionized or distilled water setup. In the cases where they don't many will already have smaller deionization units in place in shared spaces. If it's an exceptionally old building and/or school without a big budget it might be up to you to buy your own DI system.

State school, thanks!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I'm gearing up to start sending out my resume, I have a MS and 5 years of experience in pharma hell but it's all in NMR which is utterly useless. How difficult would it be to transition to a position with some sort of growth potential like HPLC or MS with a different organization? Any ideas for how to approach this?

Do you have method development or instrument qualification experience? The work that goes into method development does not really change beyond learning the new analysis. Still a lot of statistics and paperwork and yelling.

Any ol jackass can run an hplc with established methods so you want to bring next-level skills.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

What type of NMR?
Small-molecule or bigger things?
There is a push towards biosimilars in the pharma field and NMR is one part of characterising larger constructs, along with every other biophysical technique you can think of.
I know Principal Scientists with a background in protein NMR working on biosimilars both at Pfizer and Amgen.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Do you have method development or instrument qualification experience? The work that goes into method development does not really change beyond learning the new analysis. Still a lot of statistics and paperwork and yelling.

I have method development experience and experience calibrating instruments. I took a corse on chromatography in college and work with chromatographers all day but have no day to day experience with running chromatography

Cardiac posted:

What type of NMR?
Small-molecule or bigger things?
There is a push towards biosimilars in the pharma field and NMR is one part of characterising larger constructs, along with every other biophysical technique you can think of.
I know Principal Scientists with a background in protein NMR working on biosimilars both at Pfizer and Amgen.

Small molecule, at this point I just want to get out of NMR entirely. As interesting as the technique is its a pretty dead end path if you don't have a Ph.D. and I refuse to do any further college since I found the return on investment for my current degrees was not very impressive.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Small molecule, at this point I just want to get out of NMR entirely. As interesting as the technique is its a pretty dead end path if you don't have a Ph.D. and I refuse to do any further college since I found the return on investment for my current degrees was not very impressive.

Fair enough and true as well.
I can tell you from personal experience that even with a PhD in NMR, it is pretty much a dead end path.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have method development experience and experience calibrating instruments. I took a corse on chromatography in college and work with chromatographers all day but have no day to day experience with running chromatography

If you can break into the calibration field it's a decent living and companies everywhere need good technicians. Once you have a few years experience you can go pretty much anywhere.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it weird that I kind of like the smell of xylene? =/

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't huff xylenes please.

My favorite's the esters we use in the fab.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Don't whiff VOCs, guys.

Then again my new space has New Lab Smell, 2017's gonna be nuts. I have 600A of power running to the main lab :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't huff xylenes please.

Xylol was the only thing we could find that adequately cleaned our sink at our last apartment before we moved out (furniture weather-proofing finish spilled in it). It took off some of my fingernails in the process, because I'm the dumbest of dumbasses and didn't bother with gloves.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Taking PPE home is Good With Science

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Fair enough and true as well.
I can tell you from personal experience that even with a PhD in NMR, it is pretty much a dead end path.

Mass Spec 4 lyfe

PhDs are also super important if you want to focus on the proteomics and/or get promoted

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

john ashpool posted:

Mass Spec 4 lyfe

PhDs are also super important if you want to focus on the proteomics and/or get promoted

What i have seen of proteomics have left me kinda unimpressed, and I have shared research institution with coworkers of Mannfred Mann.
Speaking from a biophysical point of view there are a lot of results in cell biology and proteomics that can't be verified once you isolate the system.
We often see it at the company when customers approach us with compounds that have only showed effect in cell assays.

As for MS, in some areas like hydrogen exchange, MS is like 20 years behind NMR.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

From what I understand they mostly are used in infectious disease research. They are definitely not my first, second, or third choice in the animals I'd like to do research with for lots of reasons, but I was kind of hoping someone with first hand experience would tell me it wasn't that bad.

This reminds me, there's an animal testing lab near my workplace that just got hosed in that rear end for somehow killing off three dozen primates for lovely reasons. And no, this isn't the first time.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-lab-monkey-deaths-20161101-story.html

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Is anyone here a lab animal technician? What's the job like? I'm about to graduate in the spring with an animal science degree and think it seems like it would be a good fit for me career-wise but I don't know how much room there is for advancement, the pay scale, etc. Is there any demand right now for new hires? I don't want to go to grad school but I want to work in a lab, and I have a lot of experience with livestock and rodents, what other jobs would y'all recommend?

I used to be a lab animal tech. I went into it pretty much for the same reasons as you, had a degree in animal science and didn't know what else to do with it.

What you'll be doing day-to-day depends on what they hire you for. If you're at the bottom you'll be washing cages and sanitizing rooms all day. A little higher and you'll be doing husbandry (checking the animals for health, food, and water, changing their cages). Higher and you'll be giving the drugs to the animals, collecting data for scientists, etc. At the top you'll be administering veterinary care, running studies, supervising the other techs.

The pay ranges from minimum wage to almost six figures depending on what level you are, what skill sets you have, whether you're working for big pharma or a tiny startup, etc. The hours pretty much suck rear end across the board though and you'll almost certainly have to work weekends and holidays since the animals need constant care. On the other hand you get a decent amount of overtime since it's an hourly job.

There is good opportunity for advancement if you get your AALAS certifications and are willing to hop from company to company as you build up your skill sets. However, you'll probably burn out like I did from the lovely hours and throwing out your back/knees from squatting down, picking things up, pushing things around, changing cages for hours straight. I think you might better off going to grad school since you want to do actual lab work whereas lab animal techs just do vivarium work.

As far as primates, I have never worked with them myself but to my knowledge they are mostly rhesus and cynomolgus macaques. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread there's been a huge decline in their use because of shifting attitudes toward animal research and because they're really expensive. They're only used in research that has to be in a species as close to human as possible, such as late stage safety pharmacology, neuroscience, or infectious disease like you mentioned.

99% of research is done on rodents so if you don't want to work with primates I'm sure you can easily find a job just with rodents. And with rodents you don't have to worry about catching herpes which is a pretty good reason to be afraid of them imo.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

It could be worse guys...your company could be getting sued by the University of California Regents

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Talking about the Medivation case? If so, I owe them a nose-punch for Dimebon.

Edit: Nope, that's Medivation suing California. NVM

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

http://omicsomics.blogspot.com/2017/01/university-of-california-cries-thief-on.html

The patents they mention aren't even what we're using, but still bad press

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I have a question/request. I used to send samples to a lab to be analyzed for "Direct Microbial Counts Using Epifluorescence Microscopy" by method 9216B. The lab has since closed and I've had a really hard time looking for a replacement. I've contacted 10 labs and only 1 can do it, but they are really slow to respond and I'm worried that I don't have an alternative.

Does anyone know of a lab that could perform this test? It's manufacturing, not environmental, so regulatory compliance isn't a concern.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where are you, how many samples, how much do you pay?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Northeast US.

About 20 samples (possibly more down the line, but this probably won't be routine).

Current lab charges about $100/sample.

E: It shouldn't be an issue if a lab is outside of our area. Hold time/preservation aren't a concern to us, so we can just express ship samples. This is getting a little urgent since the lab is now getting more wishy-washy on when we can get results (they've had 6 samples for almost 2 weeks now with no indication of when they'll be done).

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sorry mate can't help ya, good luck

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just realized today that it's been probably ~3 months since my side of my lab has been fully staffed. I have two coworkers, and they have called in at least once a week for so long I literally can't even remember the last time we had a fully staffed week.

gently caress.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

jfc every loving month we have an incubator clean-up because someone is bitching about having mites on their plates.

I have had my stuff in the same incubators and have seen 0 mites on my stuff, so really, it's them being dirty af.

anyone know of a good way to kill them FOREVER-ish? I have bought some "mite spray" from genessee, but really not doing anything to these people's benches it seems. they have also tried borax and bleach but no dice (ughhh).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Development posted:

anyone know of a good way to kill them FOREVER-ish?

The mites or... your coworkers?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Johnny Truant posted:

The mites or... your coworkers?

You know in your heart the coworkers are already dead.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just spent all loving morning gowned up in PAPR scrubbing floors because one of our operators had a containment breach on a potent compound and then decided to walk all the way out of the lab and down the hall rather than, you know, follow any of our safety procedures or use the misting showers.

(But at least I'm not the one having to deal with Employee Health Services right now. :haw:)

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow. wtf is this hiring manager thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Appachai posted:

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow. wtf is this hiring manager thinking

You better post a trip report.