Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Does the cake mould when making a Castella really matter? Also has anyone had experience making one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

hakimashou posted:

share!

how do you make legit dashi?

The dashi can be done pretty haphazard if you don't have time/dgaf. Replicating at home I just do kombu in cold water for 30 minutes, then medium heat until the water is almost boiling, dump a huge pile of katsuobushi in, let it boil for a minute then kill the heat. But, the teacher was super strict as to like, when to do each step. Her Japanese is really hard to understand and she uses a lot of onomatopoeia for instructions. Like, "Okay wait for the konbu to reach ideal "funya funya," and then once the bubbles start to "buku buku" get ready, and as soon as the water reaches a "GUSSHHAAA" boil, kill the heat and wait for the katsuo to "become silent."

The way she taught us to make dashi was step by step, so first making dashi with just high quality konbu, then doing "ichiban dashi" with another round of konbu, plus katsuo at the end, and then "nibandashi" which strains the ichiban bits, and adds more katsuo at a rolling boil.

The tofu lesson was really tough work. We did everything by hand. She had rehydrated the beans for us, but we blended them with water until smooth, simmered it on the hob until it foamed up, strained it in cheese cloth WITH OUR BARE HANDS while it was extremely hot, then separated the curd product from the soy milk. Then she poured it into a solution of nigari and cold water (salty water) and it started to curdle right away. Then, pour it into some small wicker bowls and let it set. That was it! Zaru dofu. It tasted like beans. We made a few side dishes as well, shiraae, and some crumbly carrot stuff I forget the name of.
Honestly, awesome to learn but way more trouble than its worth. And unless I become a monk or something I would probably never eat tofu like this without preparing it further.

Next week we are doing miso-meat....not sure what else to call it. Like ground meat and miso together, I think. She said "Literally no one doesn't like this. If you don't like this you are crazy."
*Vegetarian person raises their hand like uhhh*

Crappy Phone Pics:
Explaining how to strain it

Giving it a shot ourselves, trying to avoid touching the super hot tofu nonsense

Letting the zarudofu sit in the wicker bowls while probably getting chewed out for doing it wrong:

The final dishes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Getting hot as balls over here. What are your favorite summer recipes? The only one I know is cold soba with tsuyu.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've heard the legend of the meat bun, and I want to see if the tales are true

Do you guys have any meat bun recipes?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Nikuman, nikuman, does whatever a niku can

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've been looking for chicken ramen recipes and the best base recipe I found was this Serious Eats recipe but wanted to know if there were any other popular ones or tips. I've been stocking up on whole chicken bones for a while now and figured this would be a fun exercise.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Has anyone tried Nissin "Raoh" packaged ramen?

I got some and its actually pretty good.

https://www.nissinfoods.com/RAOH/

It's like 2$ per package and its not quite as good as a real bowl of ramen from a japanese restaurant but for 2$ it really isnt bad and its way better than the garbage kind.

I made some chashu and bought some menma and fish cake and stuff and put some blanched bok choy in it and a bunch of scallions and its impressive for what it is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't tried that one but there are a bunch of brands of packaged fancy ramen and yeah, it's not bad at all. I've had worse from ramen restaurants.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If anyone wants some fresh shiso please grab a machete and head to my boss's front stoop and slash some down because holy poo poo, it is now everywhere. AND SMELLING AMAZING.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I like the sun noodle brand fresh ramen, miso and shoyu

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Getting hot as balls over here. What are your favorite summer recipes? The only one I know is cold soba with tsuyu.

This was a while ago and it's not japanese, but Korean mul naengmyeon and bibim naengmyeon are sooooo nice on a hot day. Soba noodles in a ice cold sour broth or spicy sauce with daikon and a couple boiled eggs and sliced meats. The best.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

large hands posted:

I like the sun noodle brand fresh ramen, miso and shoyu

I really like the Tan Tan noodles.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Going to glorious nippon like the weeb trash I am in a few weeks. Any recommendations as far as restaurants go? With some kobe beef being the primary goal and amazing sushi being the secondary goal.

Also, I wanna make a decent meal using the fresh local ingredients (I'll be in Tokyo) for my host. Any recommendations for someone who's capable of following a recipe and improvising a bit, but probably wouldn't trust to get the timing on a souffle correct?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SweetBro posted:

Going to glorious nippon like the weeb trash I am in a few weeks. Any recommendations as far as restaurants go? With some kobe beef being the primary goal and amazing sushi being the secondary goal.

Also, I wanna make a decent meal using the fresh local ingredients (I'll be in Tokyo) for my host. Any recommendations for someone who's capable of following a recipe and improvising a bit, but probably wouldn't trust to get the timing on a souffle correct?

This is one of the best sushi places in Tokyo, but you'll need to book right now if you're coming in a few weeks.

https://s.tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130103/13024076/

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Learn how to order in japanese and find a local hole in the wall any variety whatever you want and it will be 500x better than anything suggested anywhere else.

Or it'll give you food poisoning.

But that's at least most of the fun.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Keep in mind that most japanese kitchens do not have traditional ovens, but they do often have toaster ovens. They also usually have some kind of range, and a microwave. Temperature settings will all be in Celsius.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
I am interested in buying a grill attachment to a plug-in gas burner to make yakitori and stuff like that. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG8MCQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone bought something like this and really enjoyed it? Having some trouble deciding which one to get

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I tried my hand at making gyoza wrappers and gyoza from scratch and it came out pretty good for a first try. Even though I haven't quite figured out how to make the pretty shapes I've seen at restaurants yet. Also a little chili oil in the dipping sauce goes a long way, :downs:.

I pan fried and steamed this batch but, I've seen them made where the entire wrapper is crispy. How would I go about getting that result, deep frying?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

I pan fried and steamed this batch but, I've seen them made where the entire wrapper is crispy. How would I go about getting that result, deep frying?

Yep, deep frying. I like peanut oil for that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Any recommendations for a good cookbook that doesn't focus on fish too much? Something similar to Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" if it exists.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

I tried my hand at making gyoza wrappers and gyoza from scratch and it came out pretty good for a first try. Even though I haven't quite figured out how to make the pretty shapes I've seen at restaurants yet. Also a little chili oil in the dipping sauce goes a long way, :downs:.

you can still pan fry and achieve that result just make sure your oil is hot but not smoking and reaches about 1/3 to 1/2 up the gyoza. And be careful

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I tried to make some onigiri with short grain brown rice but, I couldn't get it to stay in a coherent shape. Any ideas?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use white rice. Brown rice doesn't release enough starch to stick properly.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The one true heezy posted:

you can still pan fry and achieve that result just make sure your oil is hot but not smoking and reaches about 1/3 to 1/2 up the gyoza. And be careful

I have had success pan-frying using this method:

- Pour enough oil in the pan to cover the bottom in a thin layer, turn heat to high
- Once the oil is hot add your gyoza to the pan and let them brown on one side
- Turn the heat down to medium, flip the gyoza over, add a tablespoon or so of water to the pan and put the lid on the pan
- Let cook for a few minutes then serve

This gives you crispness without using a ton of oil and doesn't take more than 10 minutes to cook a pan of dumplings.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm bringing something back from quite awhile ago. I was going on about ramen--particularly spicy ramen:

himajinga posted:

If you want a red spicy ramen you're probably thinking Tantan-men which has its roots in sichuanese Dan Dan Mein. This recipe for Dan Dan noodles is somewhat in-between a regular sichuanese Dan Dan and a Japanese Tantan-men and is really really delicious. I subbed in Sun fresh ramen noodles when I made it and it wowed a Japanese friend. I've since invented a fully vegan version that totally kills it and that I almost prefer to most ramen nowadays. I'll have to measure out the ingredient ratios and post them in here sometime.

I did a tantanmen a few times and I think I have gotten the general feel for it. It's very umami with a bit of heat. The sesame also makes it very nutty. This is not what I was looking for though.

To be precise now, I have settled on trying to mimic the mi-so-hot from Ramen Tatsu-Ya:
http://ramen-tatsuya.com/menu-5/

quote:

Mi-so-not:
pork bone broth, miso blend, goma pork, ajitama, scallion, napa cabbage, bean sprout, corn

Mi-so-hot:
spicy version of the Mi-So-Not
In particular, they put in the Spicy Bomb (red pepper paste) into a Mi-so-not. The bombs are basically some extra tare.

According to their FAQ:

quote:

What is Tonkotsu ramen?
Tonkotsu (pronounced with long o's) is a rich pork bone-based broth. Our Tonkotsu Original broth served at dinner is Kyushu-style, known for being among the richest in Japan. The Tonkotsu Shoyu is this same broth with a soy sauce blend as seasoning. The Miso-Hot and Miso-Not pay tribute to Sapporo-style ramen, which features miso paste, corn, and ground pork.

There isn't much about Sapporo--nor Hokkaido--ramen online, but I've seen some red ones that made me wonder. However, those pictures did not come with a recipe of any kind. For the broth, I understand I have to go crazy with pork. That's certainly hard in itself, but the premise at least is simple. As a crutch, I will probably boost it with raw gelatin while I get the skills for really good broth. I make broth now, but not very well. The tare? The impression I get is to go light on that and then find a chile pepper paste I like. I actually end up throwing a chile bomb into it too, which is a paste made up of coarsely hydrated Mexican chiles. I suspect the paste has guajillos, anchos, and arboles in it.

I will probably be driving by a Japanese grocery store this weekend while getting computer parts, so I'm going to get a smattering of random poo poo, asking them what they think, and hopefully trying to get whatever you all think might help.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone have any particular favorite Japanese curry roux brands? I like hot, not sweet. I only have a couple brands available to me where I am (the generic ones, House and uh... S&B?) but I'll be in Japan on vacation and want to bring a few different ones back.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone have any particular favorite Japanese curry roux brands? I like hot, not sweet. I only have a couple brands available to me where I am (the generic ones, House and uh... S&B?) but I'll be in Japan on vacation and want to bring a few different ones back.

Buy the Coco Curry ones. But only for me, you don't get any.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Definitely this. A friend just visited from Tokyo, and I made him bring me some CoCo Curry packets, and he seemed confused as to why, which gave me pause. Then we made one and drat, it's as good as I remember.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Do they sell them at Coco Curry or grocery stores? I just found a wider variety at a new store here and picked up Java to try. Also a lot of honey and apple ones, apparently it's a thing? I didn't know there were so many Jews in Japan.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Is it a dumb idea to pulverize dried shiitakes and kombu for dashi instead of doing an overnight soak and simmer? Seems like this is pretty popular among chefs, however I am not one.

If it is a good idea, what kind of ratio are we talking so it's not super overpowering?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

Is it a dumb idea to pulverize dried shiitakes and kombu for dashi instead of doing an overnight soak and simmer? Seems like this is pretty popular among chefs, however I am not one.

If it is a good idea, what kind of ratio are we talking so it's not super overpowering?

It's dumb in Japan given how much premade is readily available, but probably a good experience in any case, so go for it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Stringent posted:

It's dumb in Japan given how much premade is readily available, but probably a good experience in any case, so go for it.

I haven't found any vegetarian options for the premade dashi powder; but if you have any recommendations, feel free.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I heard Japanese people eat their curry with a cold spoon. True?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

emotive posted:

I haven't found any vegetarian options for the premade dashi powder; but if you have any recommendations, feel free.

There's granules of kombu dashi available in most Asian markets for sure.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

The only recommendation I feel comfortable offering to vegetarians is to go gently caress yourself, so...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

There's granules of kombu dashi available in most Asian markets for sure.

These are pretty decent.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've found that the mushroom bouillon soup powder you can get at some (mostly Chinese and Vietnamese ime) markets is also pretty good as a base for osuimono and miso soups, though you need to know how salty the powder and your miso are before you do that... I got one borderline inedible combination once and :yikes:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

The only recommendation I feel comfortable offering to vegetarians is to go gently caress yourself, so...

This was inappropriate for this thread. I somehow missed I was in GWS and thought this was the GBS Japan thread for some reason.

You probably dgaf, but sorry about that emotive.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Stringent posted:

This was inappropriate for this thread. I somehow missed I was in GWS and thought this was the GBS Japan thread for some reason.

You probably dgaf, but sorry about that emotive.

I love shojin-ryori (vegetarian temple cuisine) but tbf Japanese cuisine's overall attitude towards vegetarians seems to be for them to go gently caress themselves.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It just doesn't occur to people to be vegetarian. The food is extremely well balanced compared to American food, with lots of vegetables and very small portions of meat. I think, in the US at least, vegetarianism is largely a reaction to the awful meat/starch diet that so many Americans fall into, but that just isn't really a thing in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How long does miso keep in the fridge once opened?