Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

asur posted:

edit: I would just like to point out that if you can use the Sapphire Reserve travel credit in December then the card is absolutely worth getting. If you apply in early December you're likely to get 3 travel credits and then the 100,000 points on top of that. The points alone are easily worth the annual fee even if you just use them as a statement credit and then on top of that would be $900 in travel credit. I don't want to push something if you have other reasons to not get it, but from a churning perspective the Sapphire Reserve is absolutely ridiculous value.
Yeah, now is the perfect time to get [CSR] if you have travel upcoming, which I do, but I won't be able to count on hitting the 4k min spend right now. *frustrated*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

themaninblack posted:

What about the Chase Freedom Unlimited? Can get $175 in bonuses right off the bat + 1.5% cash back.

I signed up and received that card this week and there is no mention of the $150 after spending $500 anywhere in the documents that came with it or on their website even though I saw it when I signed up. Is this normal? I have a Chase Amazon card, but I don't think that would disqualify me and I got the lowest APR so that can't be it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My 100K points came through on CSR. Now I guess I have to figure out what to do with them.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Michael Corleone posted:

I signed up and received that card this week and there is no mention of the $150 after spending $500 anywhere in the documents that came with it or on their website even though I saw it when I signed up. Is this normal? I have a Chase Amazon card, but I don't think that would disqualify me and I got the lowest APR so that can't be it?

That's normal, you can send a secured message through Chase's website or call the number on the back of the card if you want to confirm though.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

THF13 posted:

That's normal, you can send a secured message through Chase's website or call the number on the back of the card if you want to confirm though.

Cool, thanks.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just signed up for the CSR. Can I buy something like a $300 Southwest Gift Card to make sure I get the travel credit for 2016?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
According to DoctorOfCredit a Southwest gift card should work. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/300-chase-sapphire-reserve-travel-credit-work-triggers/

I think the travel credit might be determined based on when the statement closes though, so if your first statement closes in January it would count towards next year, even if you made the purchase in December. You also need to make sure the purchase posts before the December statement. You'll probably be OK but something to keep in mind for anyone else thinking of applying for it before the end of the year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Just go out to the bars a lot and take uber or lyft. That's what I did.

Also Sunbelt rentals counts as travel, in case you are doing home improvement and need to rent something.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

monster on a stick posted:

My 100K points came through on CSR. Now I guess I have to figure out what to do with them.

1:1 to Southwest can be super cheap. They have 6.5K flights (each way) all the time. That beats delta which will be like 30-45k domestic round trip. If you're travelling alone that's 5-6 trips.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TraderStav posted:

1:1 to Southwest can be super cheap. They have 6.5K flights (each way) all the time. That beats delta which will be like 30-45k domestic round trip. If you're travelling alone that's 5-6 trips.
Southwest is cramped, but I do like how cheap you can fly around on them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
British Airways is always an option. Even after the devaluation they still tend to be cheaper domestic redemption's than most other airlines.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Transferring to SW and then getting the companion pass is amazing value for your money, especially now that SW flights to the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.

I also transferred to BA a while ago but I'm still trying to figure out how to use those miles.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So if you just transfer 110,000 points to Southwest you automatically get the companion pass?

Old post, but this seems to say it only counts for Southwest Rewards CCs, not just any chase: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 2, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't do a lot of travel spending but our family pretty consistently spends $250 on gasoline and $500 a month on groceries (unfortunately some of this is at CostCo because)

how good of a deal is the AmEx Preferred Rewards Card for pure cash-back? Should I just bite the bullet and get the double cash card instead?

I'm coming from a situation where unfortunately we had a fair bit of CC debt pile up over 6 or so months and we're just finally slaying all of it and I don't want to get in to any bad habits or anything, but with a consistent grocery and gasoline budget for which we pay in full every month, wouldn't it make sense to let this stuff get $0.06 and $0.03 off per dollar respectively?

The fee is $95, but I think we would make that up with just 3 months of spending (I don't think the Blue Cash Everyday is a better deal for us).

They take AmEx CCs at Aldi, now as well as the local grocers. The only grocer around who wouldn't take it would be our CostCo.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Elysium posted:

So if you just transfer 110,000 points to Southwest you automatically get the companion pass?

Old post, but this seems to say it only counts for Southwest Rewards CCs, not just any chase: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

Yeah you have to get the SW CCs, and right now the bonus isn't as good so it's harder to do. But the 50k promotion will be back sooner or later, so if you don't have to transfer your chase points now I might wait.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't do a lot of travel spending but our family pretty consistently spends $250 on gasoline and $500 a month on groceries (unfortunately some of this is at CostCo because)

how good of a deal is the AmEx Preferred Rewards Card for pure cash-back? Should I just bite the bullet and get the double cash card instead?

I'm coming from a situation where unfortunately we had a fair bit of CC debt pile up over 6 or so months and we're just finally slaying all of it and I don't want to get in to any bad habits or anything, but with a consistent grocery and gasoline budget for which we pay in full every month, wouldn't it make sense to let this stuff get $0.06 and $0.03 off per dollar respectively?

The fee is $95, but I think we would make that up with just 3 months of spending (I don't think the Blue Cash Everyday is a better deal for us).

They take AmEx CCs at Aldi, now as well as the local grocers. The only grocer around who wouldn't take it would be our CostCo.

The Citi Costco card is a really good deal, especially the ongoing 4% back on already-cheap Costco gas (which doesn't count as "gas" for most rewards programs, because of how warehouse discount stores are coded).

I'd get the Costco card (for gas and Costco groceries) and the Blue Cash Everyday (for non-Costco groceries) unless you're sure that you'll be putting more than $3,200 of grocery spending on the Amex. Remember, you don't just need to beat breakeven on the annual fee; you also need to beat where you'd be with 3% rewards and no annual fee.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Just got my Amex Gold for the 50k bonus. Does buying Amazon Gift Cards via MileagePlusX still work for the $100 yearly airline fee credit?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did it back in July and it worked fine. I think flyertalk has a thread where people report success/failure, someone there has probably tried more recently.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The last few weeks it looks like it's becoming much more "hit or miss" than consistently working.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Just got my Chase Freedom Unlimited card. Need new tires so I'll just spend the $750 on that and get the $150 sign up bonus immediately.

What are some other good cards with decent sign up offers and lowish (\< $1000 in 3 months) spending requirements? Already have Capital One Quicksilver and Delta AMEX.

Was thinking about signing up for the Blarclays cashforward mastercard next. $100 after spending $500 in 90 days. While some of the other cards frequently mentioned in this thread look great, I'd have a real hard time hitting the $3000 or $4000 spending requirements, and I don't want to spend more than I normally would just to get some rewards.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 4, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Just got my Chase Freedom Unlimited card. Need new tires so I'll just spend the $750 on that and get the $150 sign up bonus immediately.

What are some other good cards with decent sign up offers and lowish (\< $1000 in 3 months) spending requirements? Already have Capital One Quicksilver and Delta AMEX.

Was thinking about signing up for the Blarclays cashforward mastercard next. $100 after spending $500 in 90 days. While some of the other cards frequently mentioned in this thread look great, I'd have a real hard time hitting the $3000 or $4000 spending requirements, and I don't want to spend more than I normally would just to get some rewards.

Check out the reddit Churning spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-O7cxABDN1EGwBn8KXIm4ZZVXA88SVfmv2w4NIIyYvg/edit#gid=1914358847

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
OK so I need some help with Citi Thank You points. Specifically, I have the Citi Thank You Premier and the Citi Prestige. As I'm sure you know, having both cards allows you to combine points, and then redeem them at better rates for American Flights. (1.6 cents per point). So, if you plan on having both cards indefinitely, you should combine points and redeem and live a long happy life of paying $545 annual fees ($95 for Premier and $450 for Prestige).

However, there is a problem if you plan on not keeping one of the cards. In my case, I got my Prestige card 6 months after the Premier, so I would like to close the Premier soon and then Prestige 6 months later.

If I don't combine the points, I can easily close one before the other, and then I just need to make sure to use the points before 60 days after I close. However, if I don't combine the cards, I don't get to redeem the Premier points at higher rate.

If I do combine the points, I can redeem all of my points at the higher rate. However, if I combine them, the Citi folks tell me I can't use "one card's points" or the other. It seems like they will randomly use the points and there is a chance that when I cancel a card, I might have been spending the wrong points all along.

Am I missing something here?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Citi does track points separately on the back end, even once they've been combined on your end, as you noted. I don't know is how they decide which points get used first when you redeem out of your shared pool-I was able to burn through all of mine before it was an issue.

It wouldn't surprise me if their IT was sufficiently bad that they can't tell you, but it might be worth calling the thank you department specifically and ask if they can help.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Nope, you're not missing anything as there's no way to choose and the only criteria for choosing on Citi's end is expire date which is identical if you haven't cancelled either card. I would be prepared to either buy tickets within the 60 days that would use your potential balance or transfer to one of the many partners.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Humblebrag (but use your concierge services if you have access to it):

Was able to procure Hamilton tickets in SF for the presale by calling the Amex Concierge a week in advance and asking them to get it. I think I avoided the fees and taxes as well by going through them.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
It's me, after four years of sign-up bonuses I finally did it-- forgot to pay a cc bill. Luckily Citi was forgiving and waived the interest fees and late penalty.

Edit: God drat, didn't know Barclay Arrival+ went to a $100 minimum redemption.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 7, 2016

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I got my Sapphire Reserve, bought a $300 airline gift card, and was already credited the $300 travel credit, dated 12/4. I guess I won't really know if I'll get another one after January, I'll just cross my fingers.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Elysium posted:

I got my Sapphire Reserve, bought a $300 airline gift card, and was already credited the $300 travel credit, dated 12/4. I guess I won't really know if I'll get another one after January, I'll just cross my fingers.

You will, as far as the agreement states the credit is by calendar year.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

It depends on when your statement closes. If your next statement in December then it will count towards 2016 and you'll get another travel credit in 2017. If the statement doesn't close until January it will count as your 2017 travel credit.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Is there any kind of list that details what is and isn't posted to the travel category for CSR? If I book a vacation through vegas.com i assume it will count can anyone confirm/deny?

edit: Also since the travel credit is a statement credit does that mean if you use it right away your minimum spend is actually $4300?

ManDingo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes of course a package on a travel site counts as travel spending. No of course credits/refunds do no affect your spend.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does balance transferring away from a citi double cash get you the second 1%?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I highly doubt it.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
What's the best way to use/transfer points from the CSR? Ideally I'd like to take a trip to Europe with my wife.

I'm thinking we could each get the 100k points from that plus an airline card. It would probably take a while to hit the required spend though.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
United has a robust airline alliance. Air France/KLM have a pretty nice award chart too. Look them over and plug and start searching. Avoid British airways like the plague-they charge a shitload of fees for European award travel.

You'll need a lot more than 100k-150k points for business class for 2, but you could probably make economy work. Whether that is good enough for you may depend on your home airport; a seven hour flight from JFK to Europe is a lot more tolerable in economy than doing a 13 hour trip from LAX.

There's been some really low cash fares recently to Europe that you could just book through the chase portal too

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Initio posted:

What's the best way to use/transfer points from the CSR? Ideally I'd like to take a trip to Europe with my wife.

I'm thinking we could each get the 100k points from that plus an airline card. It would probably take a while to hit the required spend though.

If you each get the CSR and either the CSP or the United card, you'll end up with somewhere a little north of 300K United miles. That is enough to get you both roundtrip business class on Star Alliance partners such as Lufthansa, Swiss, SAS, Turkish, etc.

But definitely do some searching and familiarize yourself with award availability patterns before you dive in to credit card applications.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I highly doubt it.

Yes, a balance transfer is the same thing as a credit card payment. Can confirm you receive the second 1% on a balance transfer credited to a citi double cash.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yes, a balance transfer is the same thing as a credit card payment. Can confirm you receive the second 1% on a balance transfer credited to a citi double cash.
Cool, thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

award availability patterns
This is where I seem to be struggling as far transferring points to a partner. I was trying to research a few potential destinations for UR points but actually finding award fares seems challenging.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Good to know! Though I can't ever see needing to do a balance transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is where I seem to be struggling as far transferring points to a partner. I was trying to research a few potential destinations for UR points but actually finding award fares seems challenging.

Same. Ironically, I've found a fair amount of availability to Europe on Delta + Skyteam airlines despite the generally low regard people have for the sky miles program. United and American have lower mileage awards in the saver class, but at least for American they don't actually make any seats in business available at this tier, so i'm looking at 220k for a 2 one way in business. Even finding domestic fares in economy tend to be in the 20k to 30k range on the big 3 most of the time.

British Airways has plenty of availability but then you are paying hundreds of bucks on surcharges, which sort of defeats the point.

Haven't examined United and friends all that closely; had some bad experiences with them and try and do all my domestic travel on Alaska.