Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I successfully passed the oral exam for my captain upgrade this evening. Aside from one question that resulted in the check airman and I citing completely different answers from the same manual, it went really smoothly, and I get a few days off before I start the sims on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

MrChips posted:

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

From the 172S POH I found online somewhere:

Cessna posted:

NOTES:
2. Prior to takeoff from fields above 3000 feet elevation, the mixture should be leaned to give maximum RPM in a full throttle, static runup.

I don't know about you flatlanders but flying out of SLC and other high elevation airports, the mixture was never past 75% rich in most of the 172s and PA28s I flew.

azflyboy posted:

I successfully passed the oral exam for my captain upgrade this evening. Aside from one question that resulted in the check airman and I citing completely different answers from the same manual, it went really smoothly, and I get a few days off before I start the sims on Monday.

Nice :hfive: Still flying the Trash-8? When are you guys getting those shiny 175s?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Nice :hfive: Still flying the Trash-8? When are you guys getting those shiny 175s?

Yep, still Dash Trash. At the rate things are going, I'm probably looking at another five years minimum until I could hold the 175 (which would probably require commuting), so I'll probably never fly them here.

I think revenue service for the shiny jets is aimed for May, but the first one is supposed to show up a bit earlier for proving runs and such.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So any :canada: folks have any intel/leads/connects for regional hiring? I've applied to all the big name regionals with an ATPL and 1500TT/500MPIC about three weeks ago and getting anxious. I know ts only been a little while since I applied, but most of my time is instructing so I'm a little worried that's holding me back. I'm also just thoroughly burnt out of teaching.

Also any 'muricans know of regionals down there that have sponsored pilots from abroad? As a Canadian I can convert my licenses to standalone FAA no sweat, but its that illusive 'right to work in the USA' that's holding me back there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrChips posted:

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

I did some 172 flying out of Tucson and on hotter days I had to lean it substantially more than anywhere I've been. It made me think there was a problem the first time, but the local I was with was like "lol welcome to AZ."

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I used to fly C172 in the Caribbean and some of the older ones would downright cough on take-off if you didn't lean to max power. We also had problems with fouled plugs all the time. That's high heat and humidity for you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

So any :canada: folks have any intel/leads/connects for regional hiring? I've applied to all the big name regionals with an ATPL and 1500TT/500MPIC about three weeks ago and getting anxious. I know ts only been a little while since I applied, but most of my time is instructing so I'm a little worried that's holding me back. I'm also just thoroughly burnt out of teaching.

Also any 'muricans know of regionals down there that have sponsored pilots from abroad? As a Canadian I can convert my licenses to standalone FAA no sweat, but its that illusive 'right to work in the USA' that's holding me back there.

My former instructor just got hired by Georgian, for what that's worth. I don't think that really qualifies as a connection considering I doubt he's out of ground school yet, unfortunately.

Edit: regarding leaning procedures, we're also very dry and usually quite cold here, so there's that. My instructor even said not to lean the mixture when we leveled out at 5500' while waiting for clearance to climb to 6500'. I have no idea why they're so keen on running rich. We even run two turns rich from peak RPM per SOPs.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

We even run two turns rich from peak RPM per SOPs.

this is pretty standard, best power is just on the rich side of peak EGT/RPM

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My training so far hasn't been consistent, and I think part of that is switching between like 6 different 172s. There were both carbureted and non, and ones with tons of different equipment where I felt like I was spending a lot of time trying to find my gauges in may scan and just wasn't progressing.

So a month ago, I made the decision to only fly on one of two C172S w/ G1000 so it would be more consistent.

Well, both are down for maintenance now.

Would you recommend I go back to something carbureted or just skip the lesson? I really was getting used to the one I was flying with the G1000 and it, finally, "felt right".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

dexter6 posted:

My training so far hasn't been consistent, and I think part of that is switching between like 6 different 172s. There were both carbureted and non, and ones with tons of different equipment where I felt like I was spending a lot of time trying to find my gauges in may scan and just wasn't progressing.

So a month ago, I made the decision to only fly on one of two C172S w/ G1000 so it would be more consistent.

Well, both are down for maintenance now.

Would you recommend I go back to something carbureted or just skip the lesson? I really was getting used to the one I was flying with the G1000 and it, finally, "felt right".

It all rides on comfort level. I had at least one instance where the 172SP I was supposed to take broke and the other was spoken for- they offered to put me in a carburetor-equipped 172M and I turned them down because I hadn't flown an older-school 172 in probably 5-6 years. It was one of those "I probably could've handled it, but wasn't going to risk forgetting something stupid" situations.

e- Should clarify it was a solo. I wouldn't have cared if it'd have been a dual flight.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 1, 2016

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Skip the lesson. Consistency is key. Waste your money switching airplanes when you need to build hours, not when you're trying to learn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Re: the magneto problem from Tuesday. Turns out that Occam's Razor would've been right, but we didn't apply it properly. The correct answer was: had I jiggled the switch just another little bit to the left, I would've found out that the switch was just a bit finicky and the magnetos and plugs were all fine.

drat.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

Congrats. I should be going in feb or march for mine, just trying to get my last 1000 hrs so I can bid for a class date.
A little nervous doing it right at 1000 - it's a major responsibility and being able to hold it doesn't mean you should. That said, I'm very comfortable in the plane and feel like I'll do pretty decent with making decisions. Just a confidence thing and there's a few more things I'd like to see from the right seat (like a diversion, ugh loving west coast. I got excited yesterday when GEG dropped to 1200 rvr but it quickly went back up to few at 400...) Several CA I've flown with have told me I seem really knowledgeable and ready tho. In lieu of an actual diversion I've just asked lots of questions about those and other areas I know I'm still learning (winter ops/deicing if your APU is Mel, for example). Just finished a great 2 day w/ one of our most senior CA... which is 5 years at my crazy airline haha. He said I'll be totally good in his opinion and offered me a letter of rec unsolicited, that was super nice and def made me feel good about my abilities.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats. I should be going in feb or march for mine, just trying to get my last 1000 hrs so I can bid for a class date.
A little nervous doing it right at 1000 - it's a major responsibility and being able to hold it doesn't mean you should. That said, I'm very comfortable in the plane and feel like I'll do pretty decent with making decisions. Just a confidence thing and there's a few more things I'd like to see from the right seat (like a diversion, ugh loving west coast. I got excited yesterday when GEG dropped to 1200 rvr but it quickly went back up to few at 400...) Several CA I've flown with have told me I seem really knowledgeable and ready tho. In lieu of an actual diversion I've just asked lots of questions about those and other areas I know I'm still learning (winter ops/deicing if your APU is Mel, for example). Just finished a great 2 day w/ one of our most senior CA... which is 5 years at my crazy airline haha. He said I'll be totally good in his opinion and offered me a letter of rec unsolicited, that was super nice and def made me feel good about my abilities.

Imagine how you'd feel about it on a widebody flying all over the world. It's gonna come sooner than I expected and I am hoping I'll get to fly enough to feel ready for it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

e.pilot posted:

this is pretty standard, best power is just on the rich side of peak EGT/RPM

And also the worst place for the engine to be run.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I thought the worst was just lean of peak, where your combustion gets so hot you start burning holes through the top of your pistons.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

"Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground."

Cancelling a flight for a reason that probably shouldn't have been a cancellation is something I think we've all done at some point. It's important to not fall into the trap of thinking "the last time something like this happened it turned out to not be a big deal."

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Skip the lesson. Consistency is key. Waste your money switching airplanes when you need to build hours, not when you're trying to learn.

I have a question.

So say someone does all their training in a Cessna 172 with G1000 until they are licensed as a private pilot. Do people just like rent other planes that aren't that the ones they trained on and go up solo? I've only done my first introductory flight and likely won't be able get back up until February (weather permitting I suppose) when I'm in a better position to dedicate some time to learning. I'm sure it's different person to person and experience to experience, but im assuming it is more like "okay you trained on a c172 the entire time of your training, so go up with an instructor or someone for a few times before you take out a low wing aircraft" or whatever. Hope that makes sense

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

I thought the worst was just lean of peak, where your combustion gets so hot you start burning holes through the top of your pistons.

After a certain point of being too lean it will start running cooler again just because of the lack of fuel, detonation starts to become the issue with too lean of a mixture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I have a question.

So say someone does all their training in a Cessna 172 with G1000 until they are licensed as a private pilot. Do people just like rent other planes that aren't that the ones they trained on and go up solo? I've only done my first introductory flight and likely won't be able get back up until February (weather permitting I suppose) when I'm in a better position to dedicate some time to learning. I'm sure it's different person to person and experience to experience, but im assuming it is more like "okay you trained on a c172 the entire time of your training, so go up with an instructor or someone for a few times before you take out a low wing aircraft" or whatever. Hope that makes sense

Yes, that's pretty much it. Most places that rent planes out will want you to do a review with them specifically even if you have experience on that aircraft type anyway. Insurance requirements also play a factor, though I don't know much about that personally speaking.

KodiakRS posted:

"Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground."

Cancelling a flight for a reason that probably shouldn't have been a cancellation is something I think we've all done at some point. It's important to not fall into the trap of thinking "the last time something like this happened it turned out to not be a big deal."

Oh for sure, it's just embarrassing. But it's definitely better to be embarrassed then figure "eh, it's probably nothing" when it's not.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

lean of peak is cooler than peak, and you're using air to cool the cylinders instead of fuel. Check out this poo poo for all of your piston engine spergery: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182084-1.html

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Lean of peak only works on fuel injected engines, and those also require tuned fuel injectors and an engine monitor to work.

For a carbureted engine, the uneven fuel distribution to the cylinders means that running them lean of peak is almost impossible in most cases.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PT6A posted:

Yes, that's pretty much it. Most places that rent planes out will want you to do a review with them specifically even if you have experience on that aircraft type anyway. Insurance requirements also play a factor, though I don't know much about that personally speaking.

There's stuff like https://www.openairplane.com/ where in theory you do a "universal checkout" in a particular model of aircraft and other participating FBOs will accept that checkout and rent to you without requiring a local CFI check you out. But that's not hugely common yet.

And when you move to a new aircraft, pretty much everyone goes up for a few hours with a CFI familiar with the aircraft to figure out sight pictures and new systems/checklists and the like. Unless your aircraft has only one seat, in which case good luck to you.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

Oh for sure, it's just embarrassing. But it's definitely better to be embarrassed then figure "eh, it's probably nothing" when it's not.

fordan posted:

There's stuff like https://www.openairplane.com/ where in theory you do a "universal checkout" in a particular model of aircraft and other participating FBOs will accept that checkout and rent to you without requiring a local CFI check you out. But that's not hugely common yet.

And when you move to a new aircraft, pretty much everyone goes up for a few hours with a CFI familiar with the aircraft to figure out sight pictures and new systems/checklists and the like. Unless your aircraft has only one seat, in which case good luck to you.

Thanks! I figured it had to be something like that. I can't wait to go again!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

fordan posted:

Unless your aircraft has only one seat, in which case good luck to you.

I've always wondered what it must be like the first time someone goes up in some small single seat aerobatic airplane. Sure there are dual seat versions but in something as small as a pitts or an extra that additional person (and the plane to carry them in) probably makes a pretty drastic difference in the way they fly. Especially considering how squirrelly they must be to land.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

I think the place I flew/fly allows for a checkout in a larger plane to count for a checkout in smaller, similar planes. If you get checked out on the 172M or SP, you have access to the other model 172s (not including the RG) and 152s as well. That might be predicated on them "knowing" you or one being a student there, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think the place I flew/fly allows for a checkout in a larger plane to count for a checkout in smaller, similar planes. If you get checked out on the 172M or SP, you have access to the other model 172s (not including the RG) and 152s as well. That might be predicated on them "knowing" you or one being a student there, though.

Yeah, I think the my flying club will allow you to take the 152s with a checkout on the 172 (and, back when they had a 182, you could take a 172 with just the 182 checkout). But they'd still want you to do that checkout with them, not just show that you have time on type.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Lean of peak only works on fuel injected engines, and those also require tuned fuel injectors and an engine monitor to work.

For a carbureted engine, the uneven fuel distribution to the cylinders means that running them lean of peak is almost impossible in most cases.

I mean technically your can run a carb'd engine lean of peak but you're right it won't be nearly as beneficial as doing it with GAMI's and an engine monitor. I was just trying to dispel some of the myths regarding piston engines. My head still explodes a little when I hear people talking about the dangers of running an engine "over square"

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

fordan posted:

Unless your aircraft has only one seat, in which case good luck to you.

This is surprisingly less difficult that you would imagine.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody ever worked on the inside of a college aviation program? I've apparently been offered a job I'd interviewed for as the second-in-command for a community college's program, handling students, recruiting, managing class schedules and billing between the school and FBO providing training, and other odds and ends. It's a decent-paying part-time gig which can go along with my main line of work and provide some work experience, possibly leading into some adjunct teaching (which is what I was most interested in doing anyway).

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I'm sure it could vary greatly. The school that I went to closed down the aviation program and the community college associated with our school took it over. It sounds like it's been a pain to keep it afloat and I've heard they'll be looking for a new chief pilot this next year; a job I couldn't imagine any sane person would want.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I'm sure it could vary greatly. The school that I went to closed down the aviation program and the community college associated with our school took it over. It sounds like it's been a pain to keep it afloat and I've heard they'll be looking for a new chief pilot this next year; a job I couldn't imagine any sane person would want.

High five University of Illinois buddy!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The advantage to the school I would be working for is they have a long-established aviation program with not only flight training, but maintenance, dispatch, flight attendant, and now a big UAS program. The FBO is even starting to offer helicopter training, but I'm not sure that's going to be a part of the college curriculum.

The program has been around at least 20 years and I would figure, barring some sort of disaster, it won't be going away. The main reason they recreated the position is because the chair of the program is at the point of :shepicide:. I think the only question is how long my position would last if there would be budget cuts.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Please, never, ever, ever switch from Paper to Digital. Or if you do, use a logbook that isn't based on upgrades all the time, on a different computer, that you'll only use for spreadsheets.

I really loved LogTen Pro originally. But a couple times I forgot to backup my logbook when I upgraded (updated/wiped) iPads and iPhones and macbook and it's just killing me.

Between *not thinking* about my logbooks being deleted through iOS updates and actually not giving a poo poo about logging (when you own an airplane you stop caring about time) I can't imagine how much time I've lost.

Don't be like me and try to reconstruct flights from photos from facebook. Ugh.

Now I'm on Foreflight logbook but I can only see line items on my iPad? You're making GBS threads me right? FML

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I wouldn't say to never do it, but do be scared about it so as to have enough redundancy in backups. I use Logbook Pro, and and the logbook file lives 1. on my hard drive 2. on Dropbox 3. periodically emailed to myself in Gmail and I'm considering soon signing up for 4. the LBP cloud backup service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Please, never, ever, ever switch from Paper to Digital. Or if you do, use a logbook that isn't based on upgrades all the time, on a different computer, that you'll only use for spreadsheets.

I really loved LogTen Pro originally. But a couple times I forgot to backup my logbook when I upgraded (updated/wiped) iPads and iPhones and macbook and it's just killing me.

Between *not thinking* about my logbooks being deleted through iOS updates and actually not giving a poo poo about logging (when you own an airplane you stop caring about time) I can't imagine how much time I've lost.

Don't be like me and try to reconstruct flights from photos from facebook. Ugh.

Now I'm on Foreflight logbook but I can only see line items on my iPad? You're making GBS threads me right? FML

If I were to write a logbook app, what features would you like that are missing from other apps? I've been toying with the idea of coding one, but having not tried any of the ones currently available, I thought the market might be too crowded to make it worth bothering. But if they're all pieces of poo poo...

Ironically, despite (or perhaps because of) software developer being my current day job, I still keep a paper logbook. :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use MyFlightbook.com it syncs to their cloud, as well as makes a backup to google drive, which in turn syncs to my computer every night.

I still keep paper too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Literally the best thing in my life right now is the GPS history page from my Garmin 430W.

edit; and how scary loving good google photos is. Do a search in your photos.google.com for "screen" and find all the pictures of the GPS screen you've ever taken on your iPhone to show off your groundspeed.

bonus points for searching "lingerie" and finding those ex girlfriend pics.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have never had any inclination to go digital in my log book. It's purely a nostalgia thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nickelsack posted:

I have never had any inclination to go digital in my log book. It's purely a nostalgia thing.

Once you use it to total things up you'll never go back.

Makes tracking currency a piece of cake too.

• Locked thread