Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Terper posted:

I'd like to replace Gladio with Aranea and bring Iris along as my fifth member, please and thank you.

This except please let me replace Gladio with Aranea, Prompto with Iris, Ignis with Cindy, and Noctis with Lunafreya

Final Fantasy Sisterhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sunning posted:

They also added new conversations romance scenes because best girl got shafted.

I thought this would happen after the patch. :smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

I get that ff7 has a remarkable, All Time lovely translation and that hampers things in terms of it being coherent, but to me the only constant/coherent aspect of 7's story was Sephiroth; I don't think that a better translation could make the "is Cloud Cloud? Who is Zack? Did Cloud steal Zack's identity?" any better than the jumbled mess it already was

Yes, actually, it can. The answer is "Cloud is Cloud. Zack is another guy who was Cloud's friend. Cloud did steal Zack's identity." This is stated very clearly in the lifestream sequence. If that is incoherent to you then that is on you, not the game. It's even stated in the translated version very clearly, let alone in the Japanese version where it's super clear.

Like the specific plot point you chose is one that is actually one of the overall best parts of FFVII's story in terms of foreshadowing, execution and payoff. It is a present ongoing thread throughout the game and (especially without a lovely translation) it is 100% perfectly explained within the context of the game through a lengthy segment that shows everything that happens. Unless you're complaining that a video game has a twist I'm not sure how you can call it incoherent.

Legs Benedict posted:

i'm open to hearing your thoughts on the matter, I just don't think I have ever spoken to another human being who thought either game was terribly coherent so I'm a bit flabbergasted

Have you talked to people who actually played the game since they were 10? It sounds to me like you're thinking of people who go "oh man that plot is so complex I don't get it." Like even in the recent FFVII LP people's response was "oh, this makes a lot more sense that I remember, I just forgot about (X) (Y) and (Z)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 7, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

As isk said above, wait:
Did you miss the goodbye scene on the stairs where they're alive?

Some people could argue that they die when they're fighting off those Iron Giant daemons because you don't see them again, even in the epilogue, but (with no evidence) I'm a bit optimistic and I think they survived the ending.

The main reason I think they died personally is they show up in the scene with Adryn in the astral realm or whatever, with the 2 people we know are dead, also the theme of the ending is the sacrifice of your life for a cause

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone invested in the 999 skills to see which are worth it. I was thinking about grabbing link strip critical and link strike limit break cause a lot of combat in this game is blindside and counterattacking. Do these two make you do the insane damage I think they might?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do you even get 999 AP, I don't think I got that much altogether in the whole game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

How do you even get 999 AP, I don't think I got that much altogether in the whole game.

You drive and fish and camp a lot.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Pretty accurate.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, actually, it can. The answer is "Cloud is Cloud. Zack is another guy who was Cloud's friend. Cloud did steal Zack's identity." This is stated very clearly in the lifestream sequence. If that is incoherent to you then that is on you, not the game. It's even stated in the translated version very clearly, let alone in the Japanese version where it's super clear.

Like the specific plot point you chose is one that is actually one of the overall best parts of FFVII's story in terms of foreshadowing, execution and payoff. It is a present ongoing thread throughout the game and (especially without a lovely translation) it is 100% perfectly explained within the context of the game through a lengthy segment that shows everything that happens. Unless you're complaining that a video game has a twist I'm not sure how you can call it incoherent.

Have you talked to people who actually played the game since they were 10? It sounds to me like you're thinking of people who go "oh man that plot is so complex I don't get it." Like even in the recent FFVII LP people's response was "oh, this makes a lot more sense that I remember, I just forgot about (X) (Y) and (Z)

I'm more curious as to why they thought FF IX was incomprehensible. It's basically fantasy Blade Runner. An artificial being looking to extend his lifespan and throws a hissy fit because his creator cannot provide that. Death and mortality are such major core themes of IX, especially with Vivi and the Black Mages that even as a dumbass kid who misremembered VII and didn't understand VIII's Junctioning system, I still got what the story of IX was going for. I maybe didn't appreciate it until I was older, but I got it.

To dismiss IX as incomprehensible means they're either being completely disingenuous or they are worse at paying attention than even my dumbass kid self. At least with VII I can understand why people misremember or get confused because a lot of things do go over your head until you really think about it and the garbage translation muddles things more than it should. The only thing that is completely out of place is the final boss, but even that makes sense when you consider that this part of the game is a huge homage to Final Fantasy III with Kuja and Xande having similar motives and Necron and Cloud of Darkness being similar entities.

I do find it kind of funny that people decry Necron as coming out of nowhere but are pissed with XV's final boss because it's relatively simple and the final boss didn't go through a billion transformations or is a being that came out of nowhere though.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 7, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another Vesperpool fishing question:

I've found 5 fishing spots so far: west bank, east bank, cape, north bank, islet. Where and when does the Mighty Barramundi spawn?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

You drive and fish and camp a lot.

Or, if you want to break your wrist, go fight the Imperial units near the sewers and warp strike like crazy.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Sakurazuka posted:

Spend hours one-shotting low level enemies with warp strikes. Combine that with the enemy calling whistle thing and that point warp regen glitch thing for fun and profit!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Tabata's games tend to have unreasonable amounts of (optional) grind. Maybe it's because he got started in the portable market.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

One thing for sure, if you can't hit for 9999, AP on the limit break nodes is a waste.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How are you supposed to beat Gladio at chocobo racing? He always has just enough stamina to pull ahead of you in the last stretch.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

How are you supposed to beat Gladio at chocobo racing? He always has just enough stamina to pull ahead of you in the last stretch.

What level is your chocobo? At 9, max stamina goes up and stamina recovery rate doubles. I haven't done the races because as far as I can tell, the rewards are just cosmetics (medals/colors).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Level 7 currently, I guess I'll wait for later. It seems impossible right now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

I have a friend that replayed it when it came to PS4 last year(?) and it was the worst because he just rabidly held on to whatever dumb ideas his child brain made up 20 years ago and refused to, you know, read the text that is plainly on the screen. I could see a ~10 year old being confused by unreliable narrators or a shape-shifting alien taking on the antagonist's form or whatever, but this guy is in his 30's now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Saint Freak posted:

I have a friend that replayed it when it came to PS4 last year(?) and it was the worst because he just rabidly held on to whatever dumb ideas his child brain made up 20 years ago and refused to, you know, read the text that is plainly on the screen. I could see a ~10 year old being confused by unreliable narrators or a shape-shifting alien taking on the antagonist's form or whatever, but this guy is in his 30's now.

This might be shocking to you. But age is not a good indicator of intelligence.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Got my first summon prompt in the middle of a fight with three bees near the end of climbing the volcano. I killed two bees, and then summoned Ramuh just for the third because to make sure my unnecessary utilization of excessive force was properly focused.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Age is a good indicator of "has been exposed to the same kinds of plots over and over" gaining familiarity with predictable twists and turns

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol at this pathos out of nowhere in chapter ten. Even the cooking. Tonal shift completely out of nowhere. This game is dumb but at least it's fun.

This is where I am and I'm confused as to why these decisions were made and from the thread it's only going to go downhill from here.

it was jarring to go from being able to choose whether to be a dick, to flat out "lol so anyway, I'm just gonna walk this way"

and then Gladios in general. yikes

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

FFVII plot confusion tends to be a lot of things.

I mean people think cloud is this edgy silent guy thanks to his depictions in all things outside of FFVII, but in FFVII he cracks jokes and is generally chill at the start of the game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Tabata's games tend to have unreasonable amounts of (optional) grind. Maybe it's because he got started in the portable market.

I'm noticing,

Everything seems like the numbers seem a little much for what they do.

When the ap skills jump from 13Ap to like 333Ap, its like well woah um okay wow then I guess?

The RNG pinball not pinball, would improve greatly if you earned at least 1 chest per wave/level in addition to slot chances.
I wanted to do the 10K one 4 times because i wanted the main 3 elements and the 500K but couldn't manage to hold the patience more than 1 time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deified Data posted:

Feed ya bird those stamina greens and just cheat your way into making your bird look like an early cold war Soviet hero.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwrXgqyIQmg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WARP-ANGRIFF

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

echronorian posted:

Goon opinion on this game after being out a while?

Dunno the 'goon opinion', but my opinion is it's not very good. The open-world mechanics are tedious and limiting, particularly the car. Combat is functional but far from deep, and it becomes outright annoying in narrow passageways or in fights with more than about 4-5 enemies. Some of the boss fights, particularly Titan, were hugely disappointing to me. The story has major structural problems to the point where SE was desperately patching in extra cutscenes in the day one patch and apparently will continue to do so for quite a while. Character development is shallow and apparently mostly happens in the Brotherhood anime thing. The magic system is both boring and overpowered, but on the plus side allows you to skip tedious fights by just nuking everything.

Given that they're still finishing the game, IMO just wait until a final version or something approaching that comes out in 6-12 months or something. No point playing it now when some of the rougher edges might be smoothed out to some extent later on.

Basically it's not Bubsy 3D levels of terrible or anything, but it has pretty serious flaws that at least for me got very frustrating. Also bear in mind opinions on this game are pretty varied, and will likely keep varying since the game is effectively still being developed. Personally I'm putting it down until they add in these major elements in the hope things will be more enjoyable down the road.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm nowhere near it but I was told Chapter 13 has a ton of jump scares. Can someone give me a low down because I'm a huge bitch baby that's faint of heart so jump scares seriously gently caress me up.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

echronorian posted:

Top 3 Final Fantasy game. Very similar to MGS5 in how the excellent gameplay carries the incomplete or broken parts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm nowhere near it but I was told Chapter 13 has a ton of jump scares. Can someone give me a low down because I'm a huge bitch baby that's faint of heart so jump scares seriously gently caress me up.

There's only like two or three. Chapter 13 is basically a Resident Evil game shoved into FFXV.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There's only like two or three. Chapter 13 is basically a Resident Evil game shoved into FFXV.

I didn't realize resident evil is that bad these days

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

echronorian posted:

I've played 32 hours and have spent zero time not having fun. I'm probably gonna get to like 60-70 before any of the DLC.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't have fun doing the pixel hunts to be honest.

That and the one time my game crashed.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I did some poking around with the strategy guide this morning to answer some nagging questions, and thought I'd share them here because they're not easily inferred from the feedback & numbers you see in combat.

Exploiting an enemy vulnerability is generally worth 20% more damage, although there are exceptions to this rule (most notably elemental weaknesses on flans, which are worth 300% bonus damage). Resistances are usually a 30% damage reduction, so it's more important to avoid them than exploit vulnerabilities. The resistance to light, which most not-daemons have, is a 50% damage reduction.

So in terms of weapon selection, given the gaps in attack power between weapons, you're usually better just exploiting the weapon type vulnerability than trying to use a weaker weapon and double-dip on elemental vulnerability as well - unless the stronger weapon has an element that is resisted, in which case step down to the next-strongest weapon that isn't. The light-infused weapons at Maldacio Hunter HQ make this even a bigger deal, so despite the high cost and baller attack power they're only worth using when you're fighting daemons or one the few non-daemons that aren't resistant to light.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one where some guy wanted you to get rid of some old traps was the worst, it was a level 15 quest but there were two Coeurls camped out right in the centre and once I just about managed to get rid of those the traps were well hidden and almost impossible to find.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deified Data posted:

Hit sprint
Just before the sprint ends, tap the brake button for a sweet drift that also starts your chocobo stamina regen
Repeat until you win.

I beat him and Ignis at level 5 using this.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The "new character creation" thing is weird as hell - I'm guessing it's something you wouldn't be able to access until postgame when it doesn't really matter, because otherwise how would that even work? Though it would be pretty funny if there's just some random 5th wheel dude hanging around the party who literally never gets brought up in any cutscenes or banter.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The "new character creation" thing is weird as hell - I'm guessing it's something you wouldn't be able to access until postgame when it doesn't really matter, because otherwise how would that even work? Though it would be pretty funny if there's just some random 5th wheel dude hanging around the party who literally never gets brought up in any cutscenes or banter.

If that's the case I hope the character's default name is Delta.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Thundercracker posted:

If that's the case I hope the character's default name is Delta.

:yeah:

Also I finally found out how powerful magic is yesterday. I had trouble with the flans because I hadn't gotten the magic power upgrades on the sphere grid and was only using one catalyst. I made sure to rectify that this time, when I took on the gelatin hunt. One quadcast of unicast iii and the battle was over before I was even spotted. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

holy loving poo poo drat is chapter 13 or whatever the one in zegnautus keep is annoying as all hell. It's like they took every single bad design choice for a dungeon that a rpg can make and crammed it all in one dungeon.

• Locked thread