Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Most of the people that post angry poo poo about participation trophies will proudly tell you that they always thought they were stupid and that they were that parent at kids sporting events that took poo poo too seriously, got in fights with the ref, and would gladly send little Timmy to bed without dinner if his tee ball team lost. They're just awful people. It's like not we as kids didn't realize those trophies and ribbons were bullshit, you think any of us are prominently displaying our old participation trophies somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is our fault for giving them those "Worlds #1 Dad" coffee mugs without actually requiring them to compete.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Despite being a millennial, I never got a participation trophy growing up and I still think everyone deserves a living wage and basic human rights. How scary.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kit Walker posted:

Despite being a millennial, I never got a participation trophy growing up and I still think everyone deserves a living wage and basic human rights. How scary.

U fuckin safe space needing SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's like not we as kids didn't realize those trophies and ribbons were bullshit, you think any of us are prominently displaying our old participation trophies somewhere?

this is something i've never quite understood either.

kids aren't the ones who made up participation trophies, nor, in my experience, were they clamoring for something similar.

they seem to be a creation of over-protective parents trying to circumvent lessons on failure/loss by creating an environment where everyone "wins"

i remember getting all kinds of "participant" trophies, but we all knew that the only trophies that mattered were the ones with the rankings clearly visible on them.

kids can be shockingly good at detecting inauthentic bullshit and i don't ever remember asking for or being thankful for some bullshit "you existed within this event" trophy

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One year as a kid I got a perfect attendance award at school and I was so loving pissed because it basically meant 'hey, you showed up more than anyone else but still failed to distinguish yourself in any way from your peers, good job putting 110% into your mediocrity'. I hated getting it at the awards assembly and wished they'd just given me nothing instead.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
The Christmas thing should be pretty easy to confront to me. Just break the word down and ask someone when they are planning to celebrate Christ's Mass. Make sure to repeat the phrase several times, slowly annunciating each word until they grow uncomfortable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you do it enough they might have an Epiphany.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
I honestly have no problem with any superfluous award ceremony up to a certain age <queue pedantic argument about what this age should be>.

I remember we all got a kick out of them for baseball when we were in Pee Wee (ages 6, 7, 8). It was just a neat end of the season treat for everyone being there and playing well and enjoying it.

But we also all knew what our record was, and when we turned 8, we had an 8-yr old 'classic', and some of us got the wimpy trophies for being there, but then others got the snazzier ones for making the 'All-Star' team. It was basically a right-of-passage game for the next year when we hit the minors.

Literally no one on the planet gave a crap before you could use it as a lovely political point against people you perceive as liberal.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Maybe I'm in the minority but my dad always focused more on my effort than performance in sports growing up. I was garbage at baseball but I still busted my rear end. I could play a good game but it wouldn't matter if I acted like I didn't give a gently caress out there. Pretty sure I had more fun with the game than other kids who had parents that lost their poo poo whenever they shanked a foul ball.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I don't feel everyone should get a trophy. People shouldn't celebrate losses. This especially applies to those who celebrate the Confederate flag.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The anger about participation trophies is pure projection for the failures of saggy boomers whose best days are all behind them. And maybe some jealousy, too, I dunno. Has anyone tried to give them a free trophy and see how they react?

Ashcans posted:

One year as a kid I got a perfect attendance award at school and I was so loving pissed because it basically meant 'hey, you showed up more than anyone else but still failed to distinguish yourself in any way from your peers, good job putting 110% into your mediocrity'. I hated getting it at the awards assembly and wished they'd just given me nothing instead.
The "Take a Sick Day Already, Geez" award

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but my dad always focused more on my effort than performance in sports growing up. I was garbage at baseball but I still busted my rear end. I could play a good game but it wouldn't matter if I acted like I didn't give a gently caress out there. Pretty sure I had more fun with the game than other kids who had parents that lost their poo poo whenever they shanked a foul ball.

This is basically the recommended and healthy way to treat your kid's athletic career. Even if your kid is good, this is how you should treat them.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I don't feel everyone should get a trophy. People shouldn't celebrate losses. This especially applies to those who celebrate the Confederate flag.

to be fair, the military is the king of participation trophies.

campaign ribbons/medals, unit ribbons/medals, etc.

there are plenty of you were here and didn't gently caress up awards

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

RaySmuckles posted:

Good Conduct medals and the corresponding service stripes are probably the ultimate form of this.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Ashcans posted:

Showing up is 80% of success.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Knight posted:

The anger about participation trophies is pure projection for the failures of saggy boomers whose best days are all behind them. And maybe some jealousy, too, I dunno. Has anyone tried to give them a free trophy and see how they react?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

RaySmuckles posted:

This has gotten worse as time as gone one. An American infantryman in WWII usually had around 4 medals/ribbons for 3-4 years of service in the biggest war of all time. I got more than that for a 9 month peacekeeping tour in the Balkans. Modern generals can hardly fit all their awards on their uniforms.

See David Patreus vs Dwight Eisenhower:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The thing that bugs me most about the anti-participation-trophy rhetoric is that I think it is incredibly harmful to actively discourage participation, especially to children. Yes, not everyone wins, but if we teach kids that winning is the only thing that matters...what kind of lesson is that overall? "Be the best, or don't even bother trying"

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Participation trophies are keepsakes. It's like getting a t-shirt for entering a volley ball tournament or whatever. Baby boomers are cancer on the world's rear end in a top hat and need to be surgically removed from the planet.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AvesPKS posted:

The Christmas thing should be pretty easy to confront to me. Just break the word down and ask someone when they are planning to celebrate Christ's Mass. Make sure to repeat the phrase several times, slowly annunciating each word until they grow uncomfortable.

Be careful with the strategy, because you might end up with the kind of person with one of these in their homes...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jivjov posted:

The thing that bugs me most about the anti-participation-trophy rhetoric is that I think it is incredibly harmful to actively discourage participation, especially to children. Yes, not everyone wins, but if we teach kids that winning is the only thing that matters...what kind of lesson is that overall? "Be the best, or don't even bother trying"

Personally, and remember that I am an uneducated moron with no kids of my own, I think we need to teach kids that it's OK to lose, as long as you tried your best and learned something from it.
Obviously, you want to win, but a loss isn't the end of the world. Let it spur you to improve and all that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

the_steve posted:

Personally, and remember that I am an uneducated moron with no kids of my own, I think we need to teach kids that it's OK to lose, as long as you tried your best and learned something from it.
Obviously, you want to win, but a loss isn't the end of the world. Let it spur you to improve and all that.

There's a balance to be struck. I'm not saying every single participant in an event needs to get a big shiny trophy or prize or whatever...but even saying "hey, you came out and gave it your best effort, good job" is still a 'participation trophy'; just an intangible one

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

the_steve posted:

No, we need to browbeat children after they lose so they grow up to feel inadequate in everything that they do.

Builds character. lovely, lovely character.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Being bad at something is the first step to being good at it. People who got handed "middle class participation jobs" right out of high school, or who got to go to college more or less for free (cost like a tenth of what it does now and minimum wage was higher) don't understand that.

Fortunately they will be replaced by people who understand hard work and having to make sacrifices to improve.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As someone mentioned above, what you are actually supposed to do is praise kids for their effort and encourage them to challenge and persevere. Praising them for being smart/adept/successful is actually a bad strategy, because if kids learn that the most important thing is to win then they will focus on winning - which can actually mean aiming for lower-skill tasks they know they can do perfectly instead of much harder ones that they will possibly fail. A kid (or person) who is focused on success can learn to be very averse to testing their limits, because they determine that it's better to make sure they keep winning at the same thing than to accept new or different tasks where they may fail. By praising and rewarding effort and determination, you encourage kids to keep pushing their limits and try new things, because they value challenges and effort rather than positive results.

I don't think that participation trophies are a bad thing, though. When you give the same award to everyone though, all you are really doing is creating a new baseline to measure from. I think kids understand the difference between the awards pretty much as soon as they're old enough to follow any game meaningfully, so everyone getting a little prize and one kid/group getting better ones isn't really any different than everyone getting high-fives/etc. and one kid/group getting trophies.

Unless you are talking about kids that are like 2 and under, because if you give one toddler a shiny thing you had better have something for the rest or you're in for a bad time.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

There's a balance to be struck. I'm not saying every single participant in an event needs to get a big shiny trophy or prize or whatever...but even saying "hey, you came out and gave it your best effort, good job" is still a 'participation trophy'; just an intangible one

Participation trophies get handed out even if a kid doesn't give effort. The point is rewarding kids when they work hard and play for the team and not rewarding them if they just kind of stand around or complain a bunch.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Sports for younger kids are a crapshoot. Pretty much anyone who turns up will be on the team regardless of how good they are, rosters are often completely different from one match to the next etc. So whether your team wins or loses is mostly completely random and outside the agency of any individual player or coach.

Also, smaller kids are going to suck a lot at first. Sure, your kid might be the next Ronaldinho, but most people's kids are not. Maybe they get to be averagely competent at some point, but even that low bar can only be cleared if they had some encouragement to keep going when they first started.

So yeah, for a lot of kids (and I mean small kids), having that 'You Turned Up!' ribbon might mean the difference between going back for the next season or saying gently caress it and never going back again. Obviously older kids understand that the only awards that matter are the ones with numbers on, but for small kids it's a nice bit of positive reinforcement that can be empirically shown to be good for future development.

Stop making GBS threads on good things boomers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

Participation trophies get handed out even if a kid doesn't give effort. The point is rewarding kids when they work hard and play for the team and not rewarding them if they just kind of stand around or complain a bunch.

I'd like to reiterate that first thing I said: there's a balance

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SimonCat posted:

Modern generals can hardly fit all their awards on their uniforms.

See David Patreus vs Dwight Eisenhower:

Those are just Eisenhower's top three. For formal dress, he'd wear all of them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

From caretaking for my nephew, I can tell you that if a kid isn't good or putting in effort, they'll usually get a lot of poo poo from other kids. A participation trophy isn't going to compensate for that. They know exactly where they stand

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Those are just Eisenhower's top three. For formal dress, he'd wear all of them.

Which, as best I can tell, is fairly comparable.

edit: Wax sculpture and not a photo, but an official one. I don't know what to think anymore.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 7, 2016

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

I'd like to reiterate that first thing I said: there's a balance

But you said after that telling a kid they gave good effort was an intangible participation trophy. Which I guess is true if you lie to a kid even if they didn't give good effort?

Most teams already handle "participation trophies" like someone suggested before, where young kids get them and they get phased out when things get more organized.

I think what really bothers boomers that they can't put their fingers on is the more organized nature of kids sports now. Since it has changed since they were kids, it's a great proxy way to argue about entitlements and defend your position in society. Obviously, Boomers worked hard to get where they were and deserve to vote away governmental systems, they didn't get participation trophies and governmental systems are just like participation trophies!

Participation trophies are a way to keep younger kids interested in the sport and make total sense from the perspective of a sport governing body or club team system. Give a little incentive to bring kids back and keep them involved. As they spend more time with the sport they get better and have a better chance of getting hooked on the other aspects.

Being that rear end in a top hat parent who focuses on wins and losses is a great way to burn your kids out from sports.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

From caretaking for my nephew, I can tell you that if a kid isn't good or putting in effort, they'll usually get a lot of poo poo from other kids. A participation trophy isn't going to compensate for that. They know exactly where they stand

How old is your nephew? I work with youth at all levels (through college) and this is definitely true once they get above 7-8 but younger than that and most kids don't have any clue what is actually happening while they're playing sports.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LanceHunter posted:

Be careful with the strategy, because you might end up with the kind of person with one of these in their homes...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scruff McGruff posted:

Most of the people that post angry poo poo about participation trophies will proudly tell you that they always thought they were stupid and that they were that parent at kids sporting events that took poo poo too seriously, got in fights with the ref, and would gladly send little Timmy to bed without dinner if his tee ball team lost. They're just awful people. It's like not we as kids didn't realize those trophies and ribbons were bullshit, you think any of us are prominently displaying our old participation trophies somewhere?
I'm pretty proud of my trophy for smallest legal fish caught at a derby I was in

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

One year for my Christmas my Great Aunt hosted and she had a cross shaped birthday cake that said, "Happy Birthday Jesus!" in the middle of it and she wanted everyone to pray, sing happy birthday, then pray again.

It was an awkward day.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

How old is your nephew? I work with youth at all levels (through college) and this is definitely true once they get above 7-8 but younger than that and most kids don't have any clue what is actually happening while they're playing sports.

He's 9, so that fits your experience. I mean, if the kid is too young to even understand what's happening when they play then a participation or lack thereof isn't going to change anything in any case, is it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

What's with the lion? While I'm not a Bible scholar I certainly don't remember any of them cropping up in the Nativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's laying down with the lamb. Which also doesn't happen in the Nativity. Or anywhere in the Bible, but it's a loose reading of Isiah 11:6.

quote:

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.