Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

If it's cheaper to outsource the design to someone else rather than doing it in house and you get a better product out of it, then why not.
60fps 4k h.265 playback for 8-10 watts. Both CUDA and GCN in their 16/14nm incarnations need 5 times that. This sort of efficiency outside of 13 inch laptops with more pixels than normal eyes can see would be really valuable in driving up 4k adoption. Also, starting with Apollo Lake they're going to sell their CPU+IGPU to embedded customers like medical equipment, TV manufacturers (i'd imagine they're going to show up in thin profile 4k HD Blu-ray playing TVs) and cars.

This move is probably a way to make those niche 5x5 builds with a chip like the 5675C a reality (put in a Radeon 450 GPU along with an Intel CPU instead of media-focused IGPUs), more options for LGA3647 HPC SKUs, as well as a replacement for the GPU patent licensing with Nvidia, which expires in March.

Since this seems to be Intel's smart move this year they're going to follow it up with three stupid ones next month

lDDQD posted:

To be fair, though, the part that's responsible for hardware media playback acceleration has gently caress-all to do with 3D graphics. In this case, they can just keep the best bits.
Also likely. I'd really like to see an Intel NUC that also functions as a low/mid-range gaming PC that can also do 4k HEVC.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this seems like more of a "i want to see what our gpus will do in fabs that are not retarded sooner than samsung and tsmc can start production on any of our poo poo" thing than intel throwing in the towel on their igpu, intel has top notch accelerated media playback efficiency and to toss that away just because game performance is rear end is insanity

To be fair, though, the part that's responsible for hardware media playback acceleration has gently caress-all to do with 3D graphics. In this case, they can just keep the best bits.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I still hold out for the promise of what an APU-equipped laptop can be. Something thicker than an ultrabook, but thinner that traditionally sports a discrete GPU, and battery life to spare. If this APU winds up being made by Intel.... eh, but I'm still probably going to wind up buying one.

Also, how about that stock price, huh? Might top $10 by the end of the year.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We're on the same page on that, Swiss. Toss in a freesync panel and go to town on some esports type games. An eGPU dock would make it my perfect use case, but tough titties getting an OEM to do those things adequately.

It would be the perfect college/road warrior laptop.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I still hold out for the promise of what an APU-equipped laptop can be. Something thicker than an ultrabook, but thinner that traditionally sports a discrete GPU, and battery life to spare. If this APU winds up being made by Intel.... eh, but I'm still probably going to wind up buying one.

There is going to be an unveiling/live demo of Zen by the 13th, I want to say that if everything AMD has promised is true 10$ is being very conservative. I'm expecting people to go batty if the news is positive.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Live demos are uninteresting, because the conditions are controlled by the OEM. I'm more interested in benchmarks done by third parties.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

There is going to be an unveiling/live demo of Zen by the 13th, I want to say that if everything AMD has promised is true 10$ is being very conservative. I'm expecting people to go batty if the news is positive.

Let's be realistic here, there is zero chance that AMD has any Raven Ridge silicon at that event.

I am going to be interested in trying to glean whatever factual information can be gleaned from the bullshit marketingspeak, but it's going to be Summit Ridge's show, with maybe a One More Thing with the dual-Polaris card that's been hinted at.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I was only talking about the stock price gain because of Summit Ridge, not because of Raven. Although a suprise Raven Ridge showing at CES in a NUC, tablet and laptop form factor would be amazing - just prototypes kind of like Discovery.

I don't think there is a dual Polaris at all, especially with Polaris 10 XT2, Polaris 12 and Vega 10 coming down the pipe. We might see a demo of the RX490 and RX Fury, or the announcement of a whole new line up,. 13th is going to be exciting or the worst, no in between.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Combat Pretzel posted:

Live demos are uninteresting, because the conditions are controlled by the OEM. I'm more interested in benchmarks done by third parties.
:yossame:

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 7, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The promise of HBM + APU has been something I have been waiting for since I saw 1 and the other. The minute AMD or Intel puts an actual usable amount of HBM on their iGPU die is the minute the low/mid gaming levels appear in laptops that are stuck with iGPU's, but no longer are stuck with crappy iGPU's. Since the main issue has always been memory bandwidth, even 1GB HBM on a 1080P laptop would probably fix 90% of the performance bottleneck and continue to keep things low power friendly.

Hopefully one of them will do it with this partnership but I guess we will just continue to wait and see.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was reminded in another thread: If AMD doesn't break out the old All-in-Wonder name for the next generation of APUs, it will have been a colossal waste of an opportunity.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Was reminded in another thread: If AMD doesn't break out the old All-in-Wonder name for the next generation of APUs, it will have been a colossal waste of an opportunity.

Will it have a TV tuner? That was the cool bit of the AiW.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Zen preview next week, and about as big as an upgrade as a company can get:

quote:

Bank of America upgraded the chipmaker to buy, raising its target for AMD to 12 from 5.

Analyst Vivek Arya said he was caught off-guard by the turnaround under CEO Lisa Su. He noted that BofA's analysis of PC gaming and artificial intelligence trends points to recovering market share for AMD.

I'd imagine the excitement around the office at AMD is pretty nuts right now, they haven't been positioned this well since Thunderbird launched in 2000. The hype is nuts, if zen ends up being poo poo I'm going to cry for days.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Zen preview next week, and about as big as an upgrade as a company can get:

I'd imagine the excitement around the office at AMD is pretty nuts right now, they haven't been positioned this well since Thunderbird launched in 2000. The hype is nuts, if zen ends up being poo poo I'm going to cry for days.

Come on stock going to $100 again, daddy needs boat money!

Joking aside, I'm usually really good at avoiding hype and can't help but be exited for Zen. I even avoided the Hype Train on No Man's Sky enough to play it for what it was, a quirky indie game about exploring the vast universe. A game that shouldn't have been $60 but $20-40, but still I didn't mind over paying. I enjoyed No Man's Sky I feel it is a master piece of exploration, a very niche genre that had no right selling this many copies (and why so many people hate the game).

If I can avoid that hype train why can't I avoid this one.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Actually it might have been Palomino (Athlon XP) in 2001 that everyone lost their loving minds over. It's been so long since I was frying and cracking naked cpus that I barely remember those days.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:pray: please bring 8c+ Broadwell to the mainstream

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

10.48 and Climbing. :toot:

Wish I had bought more than $1000 worth now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That's awesome, I bought 300 shares last week on an impulse when it was at $9. Maybe if they do well enough I'll be able to fund a Zen system with the proceeds.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

brb going back in time nine months to tell myself to buy a bunch of AMD stock at $2.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pryor on Fire posted:

Actually it might have been Palomino (Athlon XP) in 2001 that everyone lost their loving minds over. It's been so long since I was frying and cracking naked cpus that I barely remember those days.

I remember seeing the first Athlon slot A chips that were hitting 500-1Ghz and completely killing Intel chips at higher speeds, then they changed with Thunderbird to using Socket A instead. Later on it got even better when their mobile Athlon XP chips used the same socket, so you could chuck a low-power XP-M chip into a desktop board and clock the hell out of it using less power. I kinda miss my old XP-M setup from back in like 2004-05, but I sure as hell don't miss CPUs having a heatspreader to prevent damage to the die. At least those days taught me to be extremely careful when clipping on a heatsink...

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

pixaal posted:

Will it have a TV tuner? That was the cool bit of the AiW.
I'm not sure if I'm responding seriously to a joke but would anyone use that? Analog tv broadcasting is dead and if you have digital cable TV (the only cable available now) doesnt the cable company provide you with a DTA (set top box)?

Even if they were to set aside the actual TV tuner aspect and just provide video input so you can use your computer like a DVR, I don't think that is possible/viable anymore because of HDCP. Whereas in the analog days nobody could stop you.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

brb going back in time nine months to tell myself to buy a bunch of AMD stock at $2.

Yea, Right? :negative:

A guy here at work though, did just this. Spent like $30K or something when it was around $2 or so.

He must be happy now for sure.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Col.Kiwi posted:

I'm not sure if I'm responding seriously to a joke but would anyone use that? Analog tv broadcasting is dead and if you have digital cable TV (the only cable available now) doesnt the cable company provide you with a DTA (set top box)?

Even if they were to set aside the actual TV tuner aspect and just provide video input so you can use your computer like a DVR, I don't think that is possible/viable anymore because of HDCP. Whereas in the analog days nobody could stop you.

There is plenty of OTA HD channels you can pull down with an antenna, and some cable channels are still unencrypted to be able to DVR it on your PC as well.

It's not huge, but if you get good HDTV OTA then it can be quite a nice setup. I did this for a bit with an ASUS dual HDTV tuner and Media Center DVR'ing tv channels and stuff. It works great as OTA HDTV either works or it doesn't. Not like the old days of analog channels thank God.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea, Right? :negative:

A guy here at work though, did just this. Spent like $30K or something when it was around $2 or so.

He must be happy now for sure.

For all the people moving kicking themselves for not buying at $2, there are probably just as many who tried to catch that falling knife when it first dropped to $8

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It was insane for AMD to be devalued for so long, just don't be stupid and think it's going to hit 50 any time soon. Unless Zen shows up to be the "tru intel killer".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Col.Kiwi posted:

You can still just plug an antenna into a TV tuner and get at least the major network channels. I'd appreciate a TV tuner built into a TV as a nice little value add, but it's certainly not worth adding the dollar of cost when only one in 10,000 users would use it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

maybe i should have put 500 dollars into amd stock instead of build this dumb loving workstation :shepicide:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

You can still just plug an antenna into a TV tuner and get at least the major network channels. I'd appreciate a TV tuner built into a TV as a nice little value add, but it's certainly not worth adding the dollar of cost when only one in 10,000 users would use it.

What you're describing is an integrated TV tuner for digital terrestrial TV broadcast, something present in pretty much any modern TV.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Half the country still uses TVs with digital antenna, there is no way you could sell a TV without a tuner these days. I know it's incredibly shocking to techbros in the valley but there's a shitload of people living where there are no wires of any kind. Not even copper. Ah gently caress, sorry I forgot I'm talking to a millennial, copper was this poo poo we used before fiber and terabit BayBro wifi. Way before your time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think dude meant to say a PC with a TV tuner built in.

Anyway yeah it's been illegal for nearly a decade to sell a TV without a digital TV tuner in the US or Canada, in regular stores for consumers. If a manufacturer doesn't want to include one, it has to be sold as a monitor.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

The older Thunderbird was really strong too, I had one in my first real computer in 2001 clocked to 1.5GHz and it absolutely smoked the P4 at the time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pryor on Fire posted:

Half the country still uses TVs with digital antenna, there is no way you could sell a TV without a tuner these days. I know it's incredibly shocking to techbros in the valley but there's a shitload of people living where there are no wires of any kind. Not even copper. Ah gently caress, sorry I forgot I'm talking to a millennial, copper was this poo poo we used before fiber and terabit BayBro wifi. Way before your time.

The salt is strong

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

fishmech posted:

I think dude meant to say a PC with a TV tuner built in.

Anyway yeah it's been illegal for nearly a decade to sell a TV without a digital TV tuner in the US or Canada, in regular stores for consumers. If a manufacturer doesn't want to include one, it has to be sold as a monitor.

That's weird, at least some Vizio models I've seen come without tuners, I wonder how they get around that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That's weird, at least some Vizio models I've seen come without tuners, I wonder how they get around that.

Those legally aren't TVs. I've got one in my living room, it's a "tuner free home theater display" and definitely not a TV.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You sure they weren't just monitors, or maybe some really old TVs that were sitting around unsold for a while? Federal code placed the cutoff for manufacturing new TVs for sale in the US at March 1, 2007 for all sizes (larger sets had to do it in 2005 or 2006 depending on screensize): https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2006-title47-vol1-sec15-117.pdf

Canada's rules technically allow new TVs without anything but an analog tuner for sale still, but strongly encourage digital tuning to be present, and besides manufacturers don't tend to want to manufacture a seperate model just for Canada that lacks the feature.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

You sure they weren't just monitors, or maybe some really old TVs that were sitting around unsold for a while? Federal code placed the cutoff for manufacturing new TVs for sale in the US at March 1, 2007 for all sizes (larger sets had to do it in 2005 or 2006 depending on screensize): https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2006-title47-vol1-sec15-117.pdf

Canada's rules technically allow new TVs without anything but an analog tuner for sale still, but strongly encourage digital tuning to be present, and besides manufacturers don't tend to want to manufacture a seperate model just for Canada that lacks the feature.

https://www.vizio.com/tuner-free

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apparently I never even noticed they weren't called "TVs." Just not something that even occurred to me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

fishmech posted:

They are technically monitors, but marketed for use in a home theater instead of on a computer desk.

Vizio Marketing posted:

The ATSC TV Tuner is a component built into conventional TV sets for receiving over‑the‑air broadcast TV without a cable/satellite box. Most households commonly stream or watch live TV from cable and satellite boxes. Neither of these requires a tuner, so you shouldn’t notice any differences in setup from your current TV.

If you use an external antenna to watch free local channels, you will need a separate tuner adapter to connect your antenna to the display.

All VIZIO SmartCast™ 4K Ultra HD displays are tuner‑free.

Notice that they mention how other TVs compare to their TV, while only referring to their own TV as a display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Kazinsal posted:

Best purchase ever

• Locked thread