Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It has reached parity with Toronto drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Nice to see a public sector union doing something useful with their dues for a change.

quote:

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and two of her senior ministers are alleged to have committed “misfeasance in public office” when they sold off Hydro One shares and used the public sale to enrich the Liberal Party, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

In a statement of claim filed with Ontario’s Superior Court and obtained by the Toronto Sun, the Canadian Union of Public Employees alleges Wynne, Finance Minister Charles Sousa and former energy minister Bob Chiarelli engineered the multibillion-dollar sale to “reward private investors” who could then in turn support the party through lavish fundraisers.

“The claim alleges, among other things, that the sale was approved and conducted, in whole or in part, to curry favour with an elite class of financial institutions, law firms and investors who stood to benefit from the sale, for the purpose of rewarding their past, and encouraging their future support for and financial contributions to the Ontario Liberal Party,” CUPE’s statement of claim says.

None of the claims made in the lawsuit have been tested in court.

The lawsuit asks for a declaration that the conduct of the premier and her ministers amounts to “misfeasance” — as would any future sale of further Hydro One shares. It also asks for punitive damages of $1 million and damages for a further $100,000 for misfeasance in public office.

The suit alleges that because of the sale, Ontario taxpayers are being forced to pay in excess of $1.2 billion more in debt retirement charges than necessary and will be deprived $500 million in annual revenues that would flow into provincial coffers.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/12/07/wynne-sued-over-hydro-one-sale

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If self driving cars ever become a thing it's going to make getting around by bike so much more enjoyable.

Until one confuses me for a cloud and kills me.

Still probably safer than biking around entitled dickhead car commuters.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
:lol:

"If the Youth Minister refuses to do his job, we think he should fire himself"

Young New Democrats to PM: fire the youth minister

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Do you guys remember the insanity of the young liberals, young Socreds in bc

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

klockwerk posted:

:lol:

"If the Youth Minister refuses to do his job, we think he should fire himself"

Young New Democrats to PM: fire the youth minister

quote:

This past week alone, the Prime Minister doubled-down on handing out criminal records to young people for marijuana possession, he backtracked on fixing our electoral system, and he failed to put forward a plan to address precarious work.

This is actually a pretty reasonable complaint Trudeau has admitted to smoking weed after becoming an MP.

quote:

“We had a few good friends over for a dinner party, our kids were at their grandmother’s for the night, and one of our friends lit a joint and passed it around. I had a puff,” Trudeau said.

This is another one of those Trudeauisms -- a lot like when he released a statement about being in "deep mourning" over Castro's death but then skipped the funeral -- that doesn't have a lot of political significance but which really reflects poorly on the man's character. I can easily understand somebody who smoked weed in college deciding later in life that it's bad and changing their position on it. It's a dumb reversal but these things happen. But the idea that somebody who in the recent past while already an elected official was happy to get high while continuing to advocate that the police "enforce the law" is loving atrocious.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
But does every party have such a pathetic, chinless excuse for a man running for its leadership?

Oh look he called for the incarceration of his party's interim leader as well:

https://twitter.com/BradTrostCPC/status/806247094398976000

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/chief-apologizes-steps-away-from-missing-women-portfolio-over-instagram-photo-1.3192077

GATINEAU, Que. -- One of British Columbia's top-ranking First Nations leaders is apologizing after posting a sexualized photo to social media that he acknowledges "offended many people."

Shane Gottfriedson, B.C.'s regional chief for the Assembly of First Nations, said Tuesday he was stepping down as the assembly's point person on the missing and murdered indigenous women portfolio.

He told a special meeting of chiefs that the post -- a picture of his bare legs with a wide-eyed emoji wearing red lipstick near his groin -- was not his finest moment.

"The photo was incredibly insensitive and I apologize," Gottfriedson said in a statement. "I am truly sorry."

The picture doesn't reflect his view of women, nor does it reduce his commitment to missing and murdered indigenous women and girls, he added.

Posting a photo of an emoji on your crotch = you are a horrible misogynist and you don't care about missing and murdered indigenous women, who is entirely unfit for any public office.

Um, okay?

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Helsing posted:

This is another one of those Trudeauisms -- a lot like when he released a statement about being in "deep mourning" over Castro's death but then skipped the funeral -- that doesn't have a lot of political significance but which really reflects poorly on the man's character. I can easily understand somebody who smoked weed in college deciding later in life that it's bad and changing their position on it. It's a dumb reversal but these things happen. But the idea that somebody who in the recent past while already an elected official was happy to get high while continuing to advocate that the police "enforce the law" is loving atrocious.

This exactly. The proper move would be to actually pass some legalization legalisation. Instead, we are going to have more empty "consultations" while big business lines up for lobbying.

I voted for Trudeau, mostly as part of the "anybody but Harper" move, and to say I have been unimpressed with his administration has been an understatement. His ministers especially have been an embarrassment. Maryam Monsef's "math is hard" stunt sums it up for me.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Posting a photo of an emoji on your crotch = you are a horrible misogynist and you don't care about missing and murdered indigenous women, who is entirely unfit for any public office.

Um, okay?

Emojis can't consent.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Emojis can't consent.

Is this seriously all the picture was. I heard his apology on the radio and it does not match what this picture is.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DynamicSloth posted:

But does every party have such a pathetic, chinless excuse for a man running for its leadership?

Oh look he called for the incarceration of his party's interim leader as well:

https://twitter.com/BradTrostCPC/status/806247094398976000

That's not how hashtags work. He's replying to Ambrose and tagging the #lockherup conversation not implying she should be locked up. I understand the confusion though, social media is awful.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Is this peak outrage? Can we finally stop being so loving thin skinned and humorless as a society?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We named a loving building after Jim flaherty

That fat worthless gently caress

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
May that building get sold off to a private entity at a loss and then collapse into a smoldering heap a few months later. It's the only worthy fate of a building named after Flaherty.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Risky Bisquick posted:

That's not how hashtags work. He's replying to Ambrose and tagging the #lockherup conversation not implying she should be locked up. I understand the confusion though, social media is awful.

Seems ambiguous to me, I'll wait for Brad to explain precisely which women he intends to imprison in his dungeon.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

PittTheElder posted:

loving lol at the Alberta Party who apparently wants to unite with the PCs though. Why did you even want to exist at all, and now your plan is to tie yourself down on a sinking ship?

I remember reading a breakdown of the various party platforms, in the lead up to the last provincial election, and AB Party was pretty much halfway between the NDP and the PCs positions on most things.

Like, the writing's on the wall that the PC party is going the way of the dodo, it's just a matter of whether we end up in a two-party system in Alberta.

Trying to cobble together some sort of cohesive centrist 3rd party isn't the worst thing that could happen, IMHO.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Laminar posted:

Is this seriously all the picture was. I heard his apology on the radio and it does not match what this picture is.

Yeah according to CBC. What did you think it was?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Do they get snow like Winnipeg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tepkic1RTZY

This is from last night.

Had to shovel a road in and out of a parking lot for my car last night twice, I'm just staying in tonight, gg winter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Something worth the time and effort to get mad over I guess?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Remember when half this thread had a fit over that poll showing a large majority of Canadians think that "political correctness has gone too far" and that people are "overly sensitive"? This is like exhibit A in how for once the average Canadian has a way better handle on things than a large segment of the posters here apparently do.

If you're wondering why he resigned, it's because the reaction to this photo genuinely seems to have compromised his ability to work that file. People in positions of real influence over his work were outraged:

quote:

AFN chief facing resignation calls over ‘sick’ naked legs photo with emoji by crotch

Uncategorized | December 6, 2016 by Jorge Barrera | 0 Comments

Jorge Barrera
APTN National News
The Assembly of First Nations regional chief responsible for the murdered and missing Indigenous women portfolio is facing controversy over a “sick” and “degrading” Instagram photo showing his bare legs along with a googly-eyed and red-lipped emoji tagging his crotch.

Assembly of First Nations (AFN) British Columbia regional Chief Shane Gottfriedson apologized and deleted the photo late Monday afternoon after he was contacted by APTN National News about the issue. The photo was uploaded to his Instagram account on Saturday afternoon.

The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) said it was “disturbed” by the photo.

“This is a public profile held by a member of the AFN who, as the portfolio holder for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls (MMIW), must be thoroughly familiar with the cultural and political implications of this content,” said the statement from NWAC executive director Lynne Groulx. “We know how this would be dealt with in our offices. The AFN’s reaction to this incident will be strongly indicative of how they put their own policies into action.”

The photo began circulating on Saturday afternoon shortly after Gottfriedson posted it to his Instagram account which has 743 followers and includes a reference to his role with the AFN in the bio. The photo had three likes from two women and one man before it was deleted.

Gottfriedson told APTN he immediately deleted the photo after a reporter texted him seeking comment. The regional chief said he planned to apologize to the AFN women’s council during a meeting on Monday evening.

“I think if you follow me on social media, I take a lot of pictures, I have taken a lot of pictures like that in the past and I think that is the first time I put the googly-eyes and the lips there,” said Gottfriedson. “It was inappropriate. I apologize if it offended people. I was wrong…it was a mistake and I apologize for that….It’ll never happen again.”

His apology isn’t enough for Bernadette Marshall, vice-president of the Nova Scotia Native Women’s Organization. Marshall said Gottfriedson needs to step down from the MMIW portfolio.

“(The photo) is sick. That is degrading to women. That is insulting. I’m not very happy with it. He should be removed from his portfolio,” said Marshall, in a telephone interview while she attended the one-year anniversary celebration of the Jane Paul Mi’kmaq Women’s Resource Centre in Sydney, NS. “I don’t think an apology is even warranted. He should just be removed.”

Elsipogtog First Nation Elder Josie Augustine, who works with high-risk women by providing healing and counselling, said she was shocked by the photo.

“Number one, he has to apologize to his mother because he forgot he came from a woman,” said Augustine, who was also at the anniversary celebration of the resource centre. “He only shows what he thinks of women with the lips down there and it shows what he can do with women or what he thinks of them. You know what, that is very disgusting, it is disgusting.”

April Thomas, an Indigenous rights activist with the Secwepemc Nation, said she worked with Gottfriedson in the past when he was chief of the Tk’emlups Indian Band by Kamloops, B.C. Thomas said she wasn’t surprised by the photo.

“He has always conducted himself in this manner, even when he was chief he used to crack dirty jokes,” said Thomas. “He obviously needs to step down. He is not the right person to lead our people, especially when we are dealing with murdered and missing Indigenous women when we want to get taken seriously as nations….What he is doing makes a mockery of all our people.”

Rob Innes, an associate professor in the department of Indigenous studies at the University of Saskatchewan currently researching Indigenous masculinities, said Gottfriedson’s photo carried shades of the disgraced New York Congressman Anthony Weiner’s sexting scandal and the video of Donald Trump bragging about sexual assault which surfaced during the last U.S. presidential election.

“For a politician in charge of the murdered and missing Indigenous women portfolio it is highly inappropriate,” said Innes. “We kind of expect more from our politicians, especially for a politician in the position he is in. That is why there was so much outrage over Trump saying that kind of stuff and, again, this is in that kind of category: The boys sitting around having a good old chuckle over this one.”

Innes said the googly-eyes and red lips put the photo one post too far.

“With the addition of the eyes and the lipstick it is no longer just a picture of his legs, it’s now the lipstick. It gives that sexual connotation,” said Innes. “Obviously he has to apologize, and a serious apology, not simply, ‘I am sorry you were offended,’ kind of apology but also an apology that speaks to his lack of judgement in considering how he has trivialized Indigenous women, making light of sexual acts, and considering the sexual violence that indigenous women face.”

Seriously, what the gently caress? Any playful allusion to sex coming from a man now means that they only think of women as sexual objects to be used for their selfish pleasure?

I get that there are real reasons to be outraged over patriarchal and hetero-normative cultural practices but this drifts well over the line into outright anti-sex prudery. And don't kid yourself into thinking this doesn't have real consquences by driving people away from left-wing or progressive causes when we become puritanical scolds.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Twitter's weird. People who think Twitter matter are also weird. I once had someone chew me out for subtweeting them. I had never heard of the concept prior to that.

Helsing posted:

I get that there are real reasons to be outraged over patriarchal and hetero-normative cultural practices but this drifts well over the line into outright anti-sex prudery. And don't kid yourself into thinking this doesn't have real consquences by driving people away from left-wing or progressive causes when we become puritanical scolds.
To which the same people outraged by that photo would reply that you shouldn't mollycoddle racists/bigots/misogynists/whatever and any attempt to soften or shape your message to lure problematic people to your side is tantamount to endorsing their problematic views. Also, "political correctness" is a shibboleth for alt-right, oppressor.

But the cat's out of the bag. Things like this will keep happening and people will keep denying there's a problem because the claim that it's blown out of proportion and inconsequential fits the "march of progress" narrative much more nicely. Or, they just don't see censorship and shaming like this as a problem. I don't know which is worse.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 7, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you seen some of the poo poo I've been probated for? You're surprised a bunch of delicate snowflakes get triggered so easily?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/806526035365924867

Haha I loving love this idea. Anything to wage a war on homeowners

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of easily triggered, I have a panic attack every time I see the phrase "tweet storm"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helsing posted:

trivialized Indigenous women

I seriously do not understand how that photo is doing that.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

It sounded to me like it was a full naked picture with like the emoji covering his junk with like an face implying oral with a gross message on it or something. This was obviously stupid as heck to send out, but I"m not sure all this drama and the teary apology is justified.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

This man implied that a woman might put her lips close to his genitals. Entertaining such deviant thoughts makes it clear he thinks of women as nothing but objects and he's clearly a high-risk potential sex offender.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

It is because you don't have a weird combination of prudishness, shrill contempt for normal human sexual interaction and what appears to be a incongruous belief in anti-miscegenation.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

This man implied that a woman might put her lips close to his genitals. Entertaining such deviant thoughts makes it clear he thinks of women as nothing but objects and he's clearly a high-risk potential sex offender.

But the MMIW inquiry isn't about finding the women or anything like that. It's about root causes and one of those root causes could potentially be men pushing the sexual boundaries of what's acceptable in social media space and/or physical space. There's nothing illegal about the picture but certainly not something you want to see from a MAN who's working in an official capacity to discover the root causes of sexual abuse against indigenous women. This is what I imagine rattles around inside the mind of the UofT students who are probably at the heart of this outrage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
People have a right to their own line of whatever's considered offensive and most definitely there should be some mostly held common lines that can cost people their employment when crossed. In the cases where it's more vague I think it should err on the side of whoever is potentially victimized, but this particular case seems pretty extreme to me.

I think the main problem is societal perceptions haven't quite caught up to the internet age yet, and until it has people will lose their jobs quickly and easily over poo poo that, in some cases they maybe should not?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a tasteless photo from someone in a privileged position. Yeah, your average SA user doesn't give a poo poo nor would most random people on the street. It doesn't make it right. Any lower and you have this dudes bulge with the emoticon to kiss it.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

People have a right to their own line of whatever's considered offensive and most definitely there should be some mostly held common lines that can cost people their employment when crossed.

I think the main problem is societal perceptions haven't quite caught up to the internet age yet, and until it has people will lose their jobs quickly and easily over poo poo that, in some cases they maybe should not?

I agree. Outrage is so instantaneous now, that the institutional urge to quash any outrage before it can groundswell means you get precipitous reactions before people even really think about what an appropriate response should be. Sometimes it may be appropriate for somebody to lose their job, sometimes other consequences are appropriate as well.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It's a tasteless photo from someone in a privileged position. Yeah, your average SA user doesn't give a poo poo nor would most random people on the street. It doesn't make it right. Any lower and you have this dudes bulge with the emoticon to kiss it.

Why is an allusions to oral sex from a married man on his private instagram account tasteless?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Considering the portfolio he held it could be argued it undermines his position and he probably should, at the very least not be in charge of that file any longer.

Outright losing his position over it is a different matter to me.

E: I guess the question I have right now is, if he was that careless to post such a tasteless photo without consideration of the consequences, can his competency for his job be put into reasonable doubt?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Helsing posted:

Why is an allusions to oral sex from a married man on his private instagram account tasteless?

Why does that matter? It's a tasteless act to put online to an audience. You want to see your buddies implying their wives are coming to suck some cock?

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know if other people are following this, but the Nova Scotia Liberals pulled back after closing schools for a single day as party of the ongoing spat between them and the teachers union. The rumours are that there was a mini party revolt about it. Enough so that they actually made a statement on it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/stephen-mcneil-teacher-union-contract-dissent-1.3883676

So now the Liberal's big ploy to put pressure on the teachers has failed, and I think they are scrambling for a Plan B. Considering the teacher's union negotiators have been pretty terrible as well, I think this is heading into trainwreck territory.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Why does that matter? It's a tasteless act to put online to an audience. You want to see your buddies implying their wives are coming to suck some cock?

What actually makes this tasteless? It's the 21st century. Our woke feminist prime minister once did a strip tease for charity. Are we supposed to pretend that our politicians don't have sex? Literally everyone else in society seems to be oversharing information about their sexuality these days, sex oozes from every outlet of pop culture, the sex lives of famous people are openly discussed and celebrated. Why is it wrong for somebody in a position of public influence to dare imply that he's engaged in the most vanilla sex act conceivable?

And to answer your question directly no, it would not bother me in the slightest if someone I knew made a reference or even a joke to their sex lives, and I'm quite glad I live in a cultural context where those things can be discussed openly. The only thing that might bother me would be if I got the impression that one partner was sharing more information than the other partner was comfortable with, but literally no one appears to have raised this objection and there's no evidence his wife gave a poo poo. This outrage seems to stem entirely from the fact that he dared to make an allusion to an extremely unremarkable expression of intimacy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering the portfolio he held it could be argued it undermines his position and he probably should, at the very least not be in charge of that file any longer.

Outright losing his position over it is a different matter to me.

E: I guess the question I have right now is, if he was that careless to post such a tasteless photo without consideration of the consequences, can his competency for his job be put into reasonable doubt?
It hasn't been definitively established that this was, in fact, a massive lapse in judgement, so why, at this point, would we even entertain the question of whether or not it puts his competency into doubt? Are we just taking for granted that only radfems are qualified to participate in the MMIW investigation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Helsing posted:

What actually makes this tasteless? It's the 21st century. Our woke feminist prime minister once did a strip tease for charity. Are we supposed to pretend that our politicians don't have sex? Literally everyone else in society seems to be oversharing information about their sexuality these days, sex oozes from every outlet of pop culture, the sex lives of famous people are openly discussed and celebrated. Why is it wrong for somebody in a position of public influence to dare imply that he's engaged in the most vanilla sex act conceivable?

And to answer your question directly no, it would not bother me in the slightest if someone I knew made a reference or even a joke to their sex lives, and I'm quite glad I live in a cultural context where those things can be discussed openly. The only thing that might bother me would be if I got the impression that one partner was sharing more information than the other partner was comfortable with, but literally no one appears to have raised this objection and there's no evidence his wife gave a poo poo. This outrage seems to stem entirely from the fact that he dared to make an allusion to an extremely unremarkable expression of intimacy.

There's a time and place for things. And in the public eye is not one of those places.

Maybe you're someone who doesn't care. You make out with your partner wherever you want, you squeeze their tits or dick - it's all good, it's the 21st century. You post a picture of your dick standing up in your underwear on Facebook, "it's time for sucking!". Hell yah, just a basic thing, right guys?

No, it's tasteless. Public displays of overaffection are tacky.