Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Poque posted:

I don't like this new diamondbacks world where they make good decisions.

Fernando Rodney is incredibly unpredictable. He went from all-star closer for the Mariners to so awful he got DFA'd in the course of 2 years. The Fernando Rodney experience is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Desmond to the Rockies, 5/$70 seems to be the report?

EDIT: Yankees move up to 16th overall pick in the draft :toot:

EDIT2: Fixed the numbers.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 7, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He's definitely unpredictable but an incentive-laden contract is absolutely the right move with somebody like him.

edit: talkin bout rodney

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Less than $10m AAV?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Desmond to the Rockies, 7/$50 seems to be the report?

There has to be an ETO on that contract. That's an insane deal for the Rockies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Its actually 5/70 which makes a lot more sense.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/806535874565599233

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Heyman saying 5/70

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806535920992260096

e;fb

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
After that Davis trade, Mozeliak needs to be on the phone with Kansas City offering Wong for Cain straight up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah whoops, I transposed the figures, I'll edit that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Get hosed Rangers :getin:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Intruder posted:

Get hosed Rangers :getin:

Oh no we lost the guy that was dreadful for like half of the season (although insanely good the other half) and get a draft pick and don't have to pay him $70m.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

People who live in Gattis homes shouldn't throw stones.

Because they can't you see

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Someone please tell me how to feel about the Marlins picking up Jeff Locke, thanks in advance

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

After that Davis trade, Mozeliak needs to be on the phone with Kansas City offering Wong for Cain straight up.

Uh, no.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Oh no we lost the guy that was dreadful for like half of the season (although insanely good the other half) and get a draft pick and don't have to pay him $70m.

I stand by my statement, both in this instance and in general terms :colbert:

Harlock posted:

People who live in Gattis homes shouldn't throw stones.

Because they can't you see

Hey he still had a 124 OPS+

e: Huh, with Carlos Gomez returning to the Rangers I just realized how weird it's going to be to be on the other side of the Gomez/McCann thing

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 7, 2016

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

It actually makes very little sense.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

Someone please tell me how to feel about the Marlins picking up Jeff Locke, thanks in advance

Nobody should feel anything about any moves made by the Marlins.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Poque posted:

True, cocaine can be used as a numbing agent.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

How dare you :mad:

edit:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

True, cocaine can be used as a numbing agent.

:smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:alexa:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

not upset about Desmond as some appear to be.

Average of 14m/year not bad for a FA. At least they didn't overpay for someone like Trumbo.

Sucks they have to give up pick 11. I guess this means that Blackmon is looking to be moved.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A bunch of people are saying he's signed to play first base which if true lol.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

will_colorado posted:

Average of 14m/year not bad for a FA. At least they didn't overpay for someone like Trumbo.

Sucks they have to give up pick 11. I guess this means that Blackmon is looking to be moved.

Rosenthal reporting that the intent is to put him at first and then in the outfield sometimes. If that really is the plan I don't get it at all. Part of the motivation of signing someone like Desmond is his defensive versatility. Why stick him at first?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

will_colorado posted:

I think everyone is disappointed Trumbo won't be hitting in Coors

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Wait didn't most of us hate it when we had him in the pen?

Also if we get Jasnsen I think I'll cream myself right then. Our pen isn't terrible and we have some very solid pieces when healthy. CJ, Strop, Rondon, Davis, Jansen? My lord. And maybe even Monty in there if we'd sign Ross.

He's 2/3 seasons, depending on how you do the math, removed from being good. It's decent for a team without a clear direction at a moment and that doesn't appear to have any money to spend because of the Greinke deal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

A bunch of people are saying he's signed to play first base which if true lol.

That does seem to be the rumor. What a waste since he could easily play outfield and they could get a first baseman who hits like one. They should have traded from their outfield depth but that Parra deal was just bad.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 7, 2016

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Didn't the Rockies basically do the same thing last year with the Parra signing? They got him thinking they'd trade one of their outfielders for pitching help, but of course that totally got rid of any leverage they might've had, so they ended up settling for that very meh McGee-Dickerson swap.

Any sort of offseason strategy for the Rockies not centered around acquiring Good Starting Pitching seems moot.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

17.5 million over 4 years for at worst a 4th ofer with a high ceiling is not a bad thing to have.

Fair point, but if the Royals aren't going to be contending next year they could have got a couple of AAA prospects from someone and saved themselves some cash. Half a season of Miller and Chapman each got the Yankees much more value than just Soler for a full season of Davis.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am clinging to this thought like people hoping that the electoral college rejects Trump:

http://linkis.com/m.mlb.com/cutfour/20/f0Iti

quote:

If you didn't catch that caption, it reads: "My god my boy sale to Btown? You guys got me thinking?"

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Bridich has been extremely tight-lipped with the media,and I know for a fact that he despises most of the Denver Post people. He really doesn't leak anything (anyone remember anything leaked about the Tulo trade beforehand)

So while Desmond may play some at first, there has to be a trade or two coming with Blackmon or CarGo.

The team signs this guy and all of a sudden now they start letting out info to everyone?

I don't buy that....yet.

Also Parra was and is still hot garbage.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not a Trump supporter but I think it's hilarious how everyone pivoted from "Mr Trump you must accept the results of the election" to "Let's hope the electoral college rejects him"

Just accept that the next four years are going to suck

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

Bridich has been extremely tight-lipped with the media,and I know for a fact that he despises most of the Denver Post people. He really doesn't leak anything (anyone remember anything leaked about the Tulo trade beforehand)

So while Desmond may play some at first, there has to be a trade or two coming with Blackmon or CarGo.

The team signs this guy and all of a sudden now they start letting out info to everyone?

I don't buy that....yet.

Also Parra was and is still hot garbage.

At least a few baseball reporters were speculating that Desmond opens the door for a Blackmon trade.

Intruder posted:

I'm not a Trump supporter but I think it's hilarious how everyone pivoted from "Mr Trump you must accept the results of the election" to "Let's hope the electoral college rejects him"

I was really excited to see how you were gonna tie that opening line into something about Ian Desmond.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I had accepted that well before the election

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I was really excited to see how you were gonna tie that opening line into something about Ian Desmond.

Now that he's out of Arlington I don't really care about Desmond anymore :shobon:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Fair point, but if the Royals aren't going to be contending next year they could have got a couple of AAA prospects from someone and saved themselves some cash. Half a season of Miller and Chapman each got the Yankees much more value than just Soler for a full season of Davis.

This

DM appears to be straddling the line of contender/rebuild, and as a result is doing neither particularly well. So we're going to end up resigning Moustakas, trading away Cain and Hosmer, not getting much in return, and we'll be around .500 every year for the forseeable future.

Now, I'm not complaining at all about this, mind - .500 ball for a Royals fan is so much better than what it has been and could be.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Man, Passan tweeted this morning that no team is even willing to do 3/60 for Edwin. That's insane. I feel bad for him.

But also, gently caress. The Jays should still sign him at that price. Pearce can move around the field and Edwin can play primarily at first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

The Royals think they're contending next year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

This

DM appears to be straddling the line of contender/rebuild, and as a result is doing neither particularly well. So we're going to end up resigning Moustakas, trading away Cain and Hosmer, not getting much in return, and we'll be around .500 every year for the forseeable future.

Now, I'm not complaining at all about this, mind - .500 ball for a Royals fan is so much better than what it has been and could be.

I definitely think they could remain relevant, like the Rays after they started to bleed talent (even this season the Rays were much better than their record indicated). Who knows, maybe Bubba will turn things around?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Royals think they're contending next year.

In which case a) they probably shouldn't get rid of their best reliever, and b) if they're dead set on doing so, they should be able to get someone who's more major-league ready right now than Soler is.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gobias Ind. posted:

Man, Passan tweeted this morning that no team is even willing to do 3/60 for Edwin. That's insane. I feel bad for him.

But also, gently caress. The Jays should still sign him at that price. Pearce can move around the field and Edwin can play primarily at first.

I find this unlikely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Intruder posted:

I find this unlikely

The part that nobody will give him 3/60? Me too. Teams should be lining up and finding a place in their lineup for him on a 3 year deal.

I have no illusions that the Jays will sign him.

• Locked thread